Good drift cars

I need some honest opinions. What are some good drift cars that cost below 12k? I do plan to modify them but the cap on the car is 12k.

Other urls found in this thread:

fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-comprehensive-coolant-hose-kit-m52-s52-m52hosekit
instagram.com/p/BZc1Bnwj8Hl/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sc300?
it's the lexus model of the toyota soarer

stop ruining good cars. get some clapped out POS with a rebuilt title if thats what you are going to do.

this

drifting is for monster energy snapback wearing faggots

That's import the nissan of your choice that isn't a GT-R from Japan amounts of money so just do that I guess.

E36s, 350Zs

MR2 turbo

A fuckin Mustang, nigga. spend the rest on suspension mods

this

stop trying to kill people

>snap oversteers

Toyota Cressida with a 1JZ and manual transmission swap from an Altezza. Or if you really wanna fuck with people drop the RS200 engine and six speed in there. The Beams 3SGE is a sick engine.

a drift missile build is centred around making it ridiculously easy to set the back end loose
with an MR2 you basically have one out the box

you have to control it and not spin around a tree, tho

they are controllable, snap oversteer kills people because they're stupid and do something that seriously upsets the balance of the car mid-corner, if you're actually planning to do it it's no more dangerous than any other car

Stick with the tried and true S13 and S14 chassis. They are popular for a reason.

if you want to modify it, take some wrecked car, whatever. You will replace most of it anyway

If you are doing out of the box, some fast kraut sedan, i.e M3

You are incredibly retarded and very obviously have never tried drifting

Snap-oversteer doesn't exist, it's all driver error. While it is harder to keep an MR in a drift, it's very much possible.

found the busriders

Um. Nigga what? It does exist, in the form of driver error. Did you proofread your post before you filled out the captcha and hit post?

Jesus Christ

And the OP asked
>What are some good drift cars
A fucking MR2 is NOT a good drift car. At fucking all.

get a 3k civic with handbrake mod

I second this I have track nearby my location of residence and the popular cars I've seen there are in order:
>mustangs (mostly foxbodys and new edge)
>believe it or not Nissan 350/370z's
>kraut mobiles
>Miatas
> and the lonely corvette ZO6
I would like to point out however that for the money you can get a V6 mustang for like $1200 or less (a V6 is all you really need) weld the diff weight reduction if you really want and then add some racing coilovers and drift tires and all in all your running a pretty good drift setup for less than 10k

S10 with V8 swap.

So far out of all of the shitposters and underage Forza Horizon players only 2 people in this entire thread mentioned the RIGHT answer.

a 240sx, E36 (non-M3), or 350z are your absolute bang for the buck cheap drift cars. Who cares if you only find a clapped out 240 or 325i E36, you are going to beat the everloving fuck out of it anyway and their engines are dirt cheap, esp the KA, shits like 150 bucks tops

nope, not a good drift car. its takes a lot of money to get it sideways.

you aren't even speaking english

This. If you are a poorfag a 318i E36 is perfect.

Nope

Terrible Idea.

you don't need a 1jz to get a cressida sideways but its a terrible car/swap to recommend to someone new to drifting.

This. Just buy a clapped out 240sx and read Zilvia

>M3

lol are you serious, clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. A 318i/325i is enough for someone who is a veteran drifter so what makes you think an M3 would be good for an Amateur drifter? Dumbass

>pre-11 v6 mustangs
A beat up sn95 GT is like 1000-1500 more than a v6 sn95, why not get the one with a stronger rear axle and more powerful engine?

Supras are heavy and I wouldn't suggest one

Celica Supras are good if you plan on swapping a 1JZ into it other wise its trash.

just buy a 240sx or E36 from a state where it doesnt snow for less than $5k

You're so full of yourself you can't see that you're a fucking idiot

V8 Mustangs can be had cheap as fuck, and the money you save vs buying and maintaining a fucking BMW or 350z more than makes up for having to do suspension work. EVERYTHING for Mustangs is cheap as fuck, and power is easy as hell to get out of a 302

To be fair the work they need is a tad unconventional, but yeah, he's full of it. My mawd list for a fox/sn95 5.0 beater would be:
>welded sub frame connectors
>welded torque box (control arm mount) reinforcements
>rebuilt SN95 rear axle with additional clutch packs in diff
>maximum motorsports panhard bar
>hydro ebrake
>explorer intake
>rebuilt explorer gt40 heads
>some cheap letter cam, probably a bit hotter than an e303
>open headers
>some cheap bucket seat and a new base
>drift control arms/steering stuff
>hack up bodywork as necessary to clear front tired

Also I wouldn't day a 350z or Beemer is a bad choice either. Both are very popular as well. Largely depends on what's in your budget and preference.

I would suggest cars like BMW e30 320/325, Volvo 740/240 or 240sx.

Right, and half of that list would be applied to the other cars as well lmao

Well because from the sound of it this gent is trying to keep costs down and drifting time up so less money spent on the car itself means more money towards racing suspension and drift tires (they can get quite expensive you know)

What's cheaper, spending far more money to get decent power, blowing up a 7.5 rear end, then buying an 8.8 and rebuilding it to drift spec, or just having an 8.8 to start with? Beater v8 mustangs are DIRT CHEAP. There is no reason to start with a v6 when a better option exists.

nope, i've attended multiple drift events.

There are always people like you, mostly from the poor part of the state. They hear about drifting and think "hot damn my foxbody's got a V8 so I reckon i can slide this thing"

MOST of them will literally try and drift their mustang and fail hard.

So far I've 2 guys who are just normal dudes who actually love drifting and took the time to research the parts they need to actual drift and have fun.

E36's are stupid cheap. Like I don't think you understand how cheap they can be had for and maintenance isn't expensive at all.

I didn't say Foxbody's aren't cheap but drifting isn't really a cheap sport yet it attracts poorfaggots like flies on dog shit. Power isn't really needed in drifting. Skill and proper suspension set up is needed. Most people Across America are drifting literally in empty parking lots using cones, why in god's name would you need more than 300hp

Well obviously they're going to spin if they haven't set the car up right or practiced. As for power, no, you don't need a ton more than 300. And that's very cheap to make with ye old 302, literally junkyard parts and a cam get you there, and suspension components for the cars are stupid cheap as well.

also the fact is mustangs are ugly (my personal opinion.)

Uglier than 240sx's, uglier than E36's, uglier than 350z's.

that being said here is on of the dudes who absolutely rips in his mustang. He told me he spent over $15k getting it properly dialed in for drifting. Shits not cheap.

I wanna see his mod list, that seems absurd. It's probably got a lot of nice, new components and fancier suspension parts like a 3 link conversion, crate engine, and aftermarket k-member.

>implying the 7.5 rear end cant take a welded differential
Not the user your replying to but did you ever take into consideration gasoline and weight distribution? The V8 mustang has a 57:43 weight distribution while the V6 mustang has a 55/45 when drifting you want as good a balance as you can get and you don't need all that power to drift it's always a common misconception and it's often hiding the lack of skill by the driver

Oh, you've attended multiple events? That's adorable lmao. I've actually been out doing the events. Not here in America though.

You're right, you don't need a bunch of power to slide. I've done it with maybe 210hp. American drifting though is a whole bunch of powersliding. Even you should know that, and that more power makes drifting easier. OP wants a cheap shitter, beginners beat the shit out of cars, so again I say to you that Mustangs are CHEAP and parts are plentiful. It's a learning curve no matter what car, but to just write them off as a terrible idea is stupid as fuck and you're wrong. The information on modifying the car is out there for OP to find. So fuck off with your whole "I'm right Mustangs a shit hurrr redneck muh veeate" garbage, dude.

And another thing
>Skill and proper suspension set up is needed
It isn't, really. I sent a fucking stock Skyline sailing all over the place with absolutely zero problems, as a starting car.

Power is just nice to have. The 7.5 is made of glass, if you're worried about 2% weight distribution just put some lead in the trunk.
>skylines and mustangs
Where is this paradise

Hijacking this thread, which is a good really cheap (sub 2k) drift car in Europe? I'm guessing an E36 with a welded diff?

>skylines are now on the same level as mustangs

yeah ok.

Two separate countries, m8

Show me where I said that they're on the same level. For Christ's sake.

SW20 is probably the best MR2 for drifting, but turbo is likely a death sentence

MID
ENGINE
CARS
DO
NOT
MAKE
GOOD
DRIFT
CARS
PERIOD

>HEY GUYS RECCOMMEND ME A DRIFT CAR (BTW IM 16 LOL!!!!)
>UHM... I WANTED YOU TO RECOMMEND A SKYLINE??? WHY ARENT YOU??? YOU FUCKING NIGGERS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

E36 or a Volvo 240/740/940

retard I said it was good for an mr2

>drift

mk3 Supra is terrible for drifting. stock turn angle is super bad. Pick up trucks are the cheapest way to go. also late 90's mustangs. sc300 is drifted a lot but most are autos that get ruined. I would just drift an sc300 until I killed the trans, do a trans swap to stick, sell the car for $5k and then start over

see this post then kill yourself.

The dumb faggot is back again eh

Why does everyone say you need all of these modifications to drift?

Why can't you just drift a stock RWD car?

SC400.

>Weld diff or install torsen diff
>Buy used centrifugal supercharger, fish bracket and install it
>MAYBE a performance fuel pump
>Coilovers
>W58 swap it if you want manual

SC400s are fucking cheap, with all of those mods you would be way under budget and have a nice torquey reliable V8 driftbarge.

terrible idea for someone who is starting drifting

Explain your reasoning

>you don't need a 1jz to get a cressida sideways but its a terrible car/swap to recommend to someone new to drifting.

If thats your only criticism you're a fag trying too hard.

Number one, the 1JZ swap is dead easy and MUCH more reliable than the 7MGE already in it and can be done for dirt cheap. Two, it makes lots of torque down low, while making good power up top with a 7000RPM red line. Ideal conditions required for a drift car.

The Cressida chassis is light weight, easy to mod, and strong enough to withstand the stresses you would put on it.

The ONLY knock on it is the long wheelbase. And for someone just learning to drift, will be a steep learning curve to go from power slides to inertial drifting. Once they can do it in a Cressida, they can do it in anything.

No one said you couldn't, it would be tough though and you would be spending time fighting your car while everyone else with better tuned cars would be passing you buy.

>yfw you lived to see the day the Porsche 944 become a viable drift missile because cheap RWD coupes are hard to find and most 944s are beat to shit anyways

>when drifting you want as good a balance as you can get
What a fucking idiot.
Most of the best drift platforms are desperately front heavy.

SN95 or foxbody stang. People who say this is a bad idea are weebs

>can be done for dirt cheap
This is fucking not the case.
The rest of the shit you said is just fine.

In what part of the world do you live in without ubiquitous supplies of 90s toyota cars?

I forgot, people here don't know how to work on their cars.

E36 328is as it comes with the ZF trans
You can get way more angle using factory parts, e46 lcas and e90 tie rods for $400
Open 3.91s can be had for $50, weld it and send it

He's a beginner, but let's forget that for the sake of argument.
Assume you have significant mechanical knowledge and skill.
Start with a stock car, a garage, and normal shade-tree mechanic's tools.
DIY the swap start to finish.
Come back and explain to me how the cost of the engine ended up being less than 25% of the cost of the swap, and all the parts and tools you didn't think about cost you at least 3 times what you spent on the engine...
...And about the stock components you were planning to sell to offset some of the cost that are still sitting unsold in the garage, or given away for a song...
...And how you wanted to learn to drift a year ago, but all you did was sink a laughable amount of time into putting together a shitty drift car that you still don't know how to drift...

You've never done a fucking engine swap, shut the fuck up.
"dead easy" and "dirt cheap" are not phrases used by anyone who actually does them.

Torsen diff is good for grip driving not drift. You want a two way diff instead.

Just did some work with a friend on his E39, everything made of plastic is just disintegrating into dust, so that means cooling system and many parts on the engine. Had to use shitton of araldite epoxy just to make car driveable again. E36 is even older, those cars are not good anymore for granny driving let alone drifting.

Tool rental, how does it work? 1500 for an engine and transmission. Gee, 325 bucks in tools is a lot...

How about the fact that there are already so many different transmission mounting locations already prefabbed from the fucking factory for the transmission mounts or that it is so common it is nearly a plug and play engine swap with a big aftermarket to accomodate any problems or improvements you might need.

If it takes you a fucking year to swap an engine, you need to learn how to work on cars. Period.

Truuuuue

E36 cooling system overhaul from FCP is like 300 bucks man lol
You're going to break shit drifting and should prepare to do preventative maintenance on any old ass car you plan to skid
Parts for these are insanely cheap, considering OP says he has a $12k budget and this would be a 2-3k car to begin with, I'd say there's some room left to actually make an actual drift car

Just one small shitty hose going from coolant tank to engine is like $150 for those. I checked prices few days ago.

fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-comprehensive-coolant-hose-kit-m52-s52-m52hosekit

Except for the part where it's really not

Only if you're a dumb cunt buying parts from dealers.

Only tough part is replacing the plastic piece that connects the hose to the block between the firewall and engine block on the 4cyl models

>welded diff

73-87 Chev/GMC squarebody, shortbox, with a posi.

>he doesn't take every possible turn sideways in a 4000lb barge

lol for using non OEM parts for cooling system on old BMW.

Ask me how I know - proud ex owner of two E34 with cracked heads. Overheat it just once just for a second and it's scrapyard time.

>heavy car.
>centrifugal supercharger

and lastly but not least
>automatic
>drifting

lol nah.

don't get me wrong its a cool car, but an Sc300 would be better, specifically for someone more seasoned in drifting.

a 240sx or E36 is a better chassis

you better have deep pockets for the 944 because the parts are expensive. They are cheap because they are shitty expensive cars.

>E36 cooling system overhaul from FCP is like 300 bucks man lol

Weird you mention FCP euro. Its based in my town and I have two friends that work there

An NA 944 isn't very powerful and if you want to add any power you have to upgrade to a Turbo transaxle or you risk blowing up the stock transmission.

They're also pretty fucking expensive to maintain, and especially the cheap beat to shit ones will need a lot of work before you can abuse them again.

>Cant get manifold for roots style positive displacement SC except if you fab one, or order one from the aussies for $700 and bash up your hood to fit it
>Can put it in 2nd and drift it alright with AT tranny

A centrifugal SC saves you alot of trouble.

I have drifted with an mr2 and I daily one
It's a bit more violent but you can drift.
FR layout is better for drifting

2nd S13 I've owned, saving up for an RB and I'd be set. The first S13 I had had a 5.3 but turbo is life !

you don't need an RB to get sideways.

KA is fine and an SR20 is perfect. Some privateer driver in Formula D Japan just qualified 8th and placed 2nd behind Mad Mike in his 1200hp 4 rotor RX-7, in his Nissan S15 and it still has the SR20 in it.

It goes to show its more about driver mod than actual power

instagram.com/p/BZc1Bnwj8Hl/

You don't. I've played around with my single jingle before I swapped to a 5.3

My current S13 is a dually but honestly just want some power haha. Stock is fun, less problems more or less. SR20 is still a possibility don't get me wrong !

Is this true? Or meme?

Cracked heads are real. Try finding good one.

You two are so naive. You can't fix BMW cooling system just by replacing hoses, it's not Toyota.

For example this is what I did yesterday. Expansion tank all cracked and leaked, fixed that with ton of epoxy. However that big plastic thing that goes onto radiator also cracked since it's all rotten. Looks like replaceable part but it's not, it's part of hose and that silver clamp is not really clamp, you can't untighten it. You have to buy whole hose to get that part and that's $150. I hacked it together with some propane fittings and JB weld but fuck that shit.

There are like hundreds of such planted "mines" on every BMW just waiting to fuck up you day. You also can't use parts for donor cars since those are as rotten as yours. Everything made of plastic fails and half of car is made of that shit.

Stay away from BMW.

Buy the cheapest rwd car you can find in your area, strip the interior, put the shittiest rear tires on it and youre good to go.

Its well known all over the US for euro parts. Its big in bmw and volvo forums.

yeah I didn't realize how big it actually was lol.

Drifting is stupid. It's the synchronized swimming of motorsports.

>Build a road-race car. Compete in chump or WR. Learn to drive then move up to SCCA club racing

It's something people did for fun turned into a competition. I enjoy hotlapping as much as the next guy but to just let loose and play with the car is nice too.

road racing is cool as fuck but all that shit is way more expensive then drifting.

My local drifting club cost about $75 bucks to run it compared to SCCA which is about $300+ dollaroos

A good drift car is something RWD that is ubiquitous in your area with aftermarket and cheap parts.
For here any non M bimmers of any year are good drift cars because there's literally thousands of them for sale and they cost peanuts, in states I believe it's shit like silvias and such.

>wah wah unless your car hobbism starts with wikipedia and ends with fastlaps.com you are not an Veeky Forumstist
sounds about right.

nah.
Here

drifting
>find empty lot, pull skidz
>buy differencials, tyres and body panels in bulk
>need to do drift build
racing
>50 eur a day on big kart track or race track
>50 eur for fuel
>new brake pads and tyres every season
>new rotors every two seasons
>can keep car stock

> Naive
Think I have a better idea on BMWs than any of you lol
You're a fuckwit, the $300 overhaul kit comes with everything including the expansion tank lol.
Poorfags who epoxy shit together shouldn't own BMWs, an expansion tank is like 30 bucks

Don't molest that beautiful machine you Paul Walker necrotic dick sucking faggot.