Any boat mechanics here?

Any boat mechanics here?
Seems like a good job that would be in high demand since the hurricanes.
How do I into boat repair?

Fuck off this is /o

But boats are the automobiles of the sea user

Be diesel mechanic, be small engine mechanic, be good with fiberglass repair, be good with electronics, and weld aluminum. But most importantly, live near the coast.

Is that who I think it is?

Bill Clinton?

I've worked previously as a marine mechanic on sailboats and am now at the Northwest school of wooden boat building. Getting into the marine trade can be a bitch because it's completely run by baby boomers who for many reasons have not passed on their trade at all. As they die off there will be very few people trained to maintain boats so the job market should be pretty decent. The downside is that less and less people are into boating as the middle class evaporates. I think your best bet would be to go to a trade school but you could probably work your way up in a boat yard just starting by painting hulls. Becoming a diesel mechanic like another user said is also a good route.

Thanks user
What I really want to do is make some quick cash and learn the trade at the same time. Want to be able to spot a good deal on a boat and pick one up on the cheap so I can spend my winters sailing in the sea of cortez.
I thought the hurricane was going to create a ton of opportunity

bump

I'm sorry but that sounds like quite a bit of a fantasy. It takes a very long time to be able to even know what a good deal is let alone have the ability to really fix it up. Boats can easily cost thousands more than you'd think. There are so many times where I'd give a client an estimate on a new to him sailboat for some work and realizes he can't afford it. If you are really interested than you should start reading up on the cruising and blue water forums for enough knowledge to get started out but making quick cash and having a well operational boat just coming into the trade is practically impossible.

So the storms have not created a huge labor demand ?
I was an auto mechanic for two years and a woodworker for 15 so I do have a large skill set and learn pretty fast.
I do realize there is much to learn and I am working on that.
I just figured they would be ready to hire any craftsmen they could get with all the damage I see on TV.
I do not want to spend more than about 50k total so I know that is a small budget for boating.

Also I figured if I was in good with the boat guys, they would help steer me to a solid boat that was a great deal instead of paying for survey after survey.

Being a marine mechanic isn't like being a general contractor. They aren't just going to hire a bunch of Mexicans with experience because there's a big demand. Keep in mind there's hurricanes every year that damage a lot of boats in the area so it's not like this is a huge deal for them. If you really want to start working on boats then go look for a job at a marina but even with the hurricanes damage, it could be pretty hard to get hired.

If you get good in with people you will get offered boats for free. Most people don't take them because they know those particular boats are worse than worthless but there's a few good ones that come up. If you want to live the liveaboard salty old man life then just go for it. Nothing anyone can tell you on Veeky Forums will help you get actually get out there, you have to do it on your own. It's just like how no one will hire deckhands on fishing boats from far away, you have to show up and memeing aside, shake their hand and ask for a job like all the boomer memes say.

Jay Leno, looks like something he would have

That is the single coolest thing i have ever seen on this board

do want!

R I D I C U L O U S

That's not Leno

Do you deny that its awesome?

I'm surprised over these years the original file name still exists.

Chassis rigidity level: Pool noodle