Most important part of your car is controlled by a piece of shit rubber belt

>Most important part of your car is controlled by a piece of shit rubber belt
>Your whole engine is kill if this flimsy ass belt slips or tears

Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

techtimes.com/articles/10848/20140723/subaru-excess-oil-consumption-problem-may-lead-to-engine-failure-lawsuit.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=4bHeqYQLADs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Would you rather have to deal with this bullshit at the very back of the engine?

timing chain master race reporting in

Chain timed supremacy
>Tick
>tick

Because its cheaper to make, improves MPG, less noise and increases throttle response

And its not flimsy - replace them at the recommended intervals and check the tensioner yearly - a big part of those where the belt snaps are either because the belt was worn out, or the tensioner had not been replaced and made the belt snap or slip

>interference engine cucks btfo

And I have no clue why or how that image was attached

yes

Have fun with that 9k service bill or having to pull the engine and spending 3k in parts alone, every 75k miles. VAG cheaped out on the plastic guides and tensioners, because of course they fucking did.

Emissions, fuel economy, noise, and serviceability.

Subaru engines in particular can burn through an entire sump's worth of oil between services, so it makes sense that you wouldn't want to use a timing chain on them (as they're a very oil sensitive component).

In general, the belt is more fuel efficient than a chain setup because there's less drag and friction. It's quieter because it's soft rubber instead of hard, rattling chains, and MOST of them are more serviceable than many timing chain setups, meaning if shit goes wrong on a non-interference belt engine (like most of Toyota's) then you'd have an easier time fixing it than on a timing chain engine.

But because european (and some jap) engineers are cunts and often make timing belts far, far more difficult to change than they should be, timing belts get a bad rep for being annoying, unreliable pieces of shit because they're expensive to change when they really shouldn't be, which means they never get done on beater shitboxes, thus leading to more timing belt failures than there SHOULD be if they were correctly engineered for serviceability.

Just to add to this, VW and either Citroen or Peugeot have introduced a wonderful new technology that makes timing belts even less serviceable:

TIMING BELT IN OIL technology!

Service life of these is 180k kms or more, but because they're sealed in oil, good fucking luck getting to the damn things. Also means that you're relying on oil changes happening on time, customers not driving in a way that sludges the engine, and correct oil being used for servicing.

Timing belts can be good, but because modern engineering calls for some ridiculous fucking bullshit, a lot of them are just plain shit.

tl;dr, europeans are shitscum engineers.

no

Yet another point of failure not found on dorito spinners.

I had a belt break on me in my jeep once, way back when I first started driving. I didn't know anything about engines, or really any vehicle component, so when I lost power steering going down the road I thought I was going to die. Luckily nothing happened.
>$20 to replace the belt

Looking back I can't even be mad about it.

Sometimes when somebody posts at the exact same time as another person, the images switch.

>Your whole engine is kill if this flimsy ass belt slips or tears

If it is a timing belt, yes. If it is a serpentine accessory drive belt, you can drive for another 5 min or so.

> what is a maintenance schedule?

Do Subarus really burn oil. I have a sample size of 1, but mine had around 0.5 liters after over 15k km. At least belts are easy to change on those cars, if anything.
To change a chain on a shitty Yaris is a complete nightmare if the engine isn't off the car. Not enough space for anything.

Aren't belts petroleum based? Meaning they get slowly disintegrated by the oil?

The thing is, that it is his car.

>i have 5:1 compression

>tfw dad's FJ running 328,000km on original timing chain and water pump
>no valve issues
>no slack in chain
>everything still runs perfectly

BELTFAGS BTFO

>Do Subarus really burn oil.
Yes, they do. Some of their models were even subject to a recall because of it. Some certain lots of their engines were apparently burning even more oil than usual. People were going through 15 quarts in a month. Thats a pretty extreme case, but they all go through oil faster than anything else on the market.

Wrong belt

Haven't heard of that. Not arguing.

Timing belt, not pump belt. You would have payed a lot more than $20, even if it is not an interference one.

techtimes.com/articles/10848/20140723/subaru-excess-oil-consumption-problem-may-lead-to-engine-failure-lawsuit.htm

There was some follow up to this more recently

>have timing chain and distributor
>275,000 miles and the chain has not been replaced and the engine still runs well
>slack in the chain (if it ever happens) can be countered by twisting the distributor slightly

Don't mess with success

>squeeky pulley
>impossible to tell which of the 20 it is

just spray down the entire engine bay with some PAM, that will get rid of the squeaks and it won't harm anything

Yeah, or you could just be not retarded about your chain setup.

Thanks honda.

Rotary mustard race

>V8
>posts an inline engine as a comparison

C'mon user.

put one end of a flexible vaccuum cleaner hose (or other tubing) against your ear. point the other end at each pulley until you find the one that's obviously producing the sound. you'll hear it wherever you place the tube, but when it gets louder, that's your culprit.

why the fuck is this not the most widespread form of timing arrangement

why the fuck are we using belts for anything other than pants and hitting truant children

Doesn't mean that VAG didn't shit up something that should be relatively simple and extremely durable.

>Your car needing a belt or chain
>Cuck confirmed

>WRRRRRRRRR

>why the fuck is this not the most widespread form of timing arrangement

Chevy, Dodge, older fords. Lots of them out there.

>straight gears
>accelerate
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Depends on the engine (which can be said for any car, really) but yes, Subaru engines are the worst I've seen for burning oil across their entire range.

The timing-belt-in-oil shit is going to be using a different kind of material for the belts that's resistant to oil and higher temperatures, but past their warranty period I wouldn't trust them in the slightest. God help you if the previous owner/garage was using some aggressive engine flush additive with each service, too.

You have louder noises to hear while driving, even if they whined.
youtube.com/watch?v=4bHeqYQLADs

>tfw timing chain and interference engine

Points to whoever knows or can guess the engine

Anything made in the past 30 years with a timing chain?

300k on a chain on my last car, no service whatsoever

Show me a new Ford or Dodge or Chevy that uses this.

Redpill me on electromechanical valve actuation

You can use tire shine on any car regardless of age. Are you okay user?

Don't be a fuckin smartass

Isnt the Chevy 5.3 still using a timing chain and OHV?

The recommended interval is 105k, it's not an issue. Not like you have to do it every 30k. Less of a pain in the ass and cheaper to replace than a chain and its tensioners and guides.

>Drive Forester with 83K miles
>Engine shuts off while at a stop light one day, won't start back up.
>Get tow home, have mechanic come out next day
>Checks ignition coil, plugs, wires, etc, still can't start
>He thinks timing belt may have slipped and now timing is off

So how fucked am I Veeky Forums? Am I looking at a $1200 repair?

Just take the engine out and replace the belt every 3 years and you have nothing to worry about

Have friends who owned STI's, legacy's, and WRX's. They always burned oil no matter if they were beat on or not.

>The recommended interval is 105k
Never heard of an interference engine? There's obviously not a universal interval across all belt engines.

I've heard of the ej25 which I happen to own, it's an interference engine and Subaru's official recommended interval is 105k.

If its a good belt its actually rubber impregnated with steel ribbing, so its not THAT flimsy.

That's also what engine is in OPs pic

that should be extremely easy for a mechanic to check, just have to turn the crankshaft to TDC and then typically the camshafts will also have little marks on them too

could also be a fuel problem

Engines with belts seem to last longer than timing chain based engines.
Belts dont ride in the oil which causes more wear on the oil.
Also they are much easier to replace and last around the same amount of time as a chain

>Lemme take apart my entire engine instead of replacing a single belt every 100k miles
Stop living in your dorito delusions

>tfw this is in my car

Have fun when the guides disintegrate.

My 95 GMG Sierra 4x4 4.3l is at 385k...chain...origional...unfucking touched...
Your posting out your ass...

>pull small dorito engine out
>undo some bolts
>remove old gaskets
>pull triangle out
>remove old apex seals
>insert new ones
>put triangle back in
>put new gasket in place
>reassemble, bolt back together
>mount back in car

Its only a couple hours of work maybe once a year if you actually drive a lot, and the engine is so small you can do it yourself even if you only have a one stall garage. The rotary engines have plenty of short comings but replacing deals really isn't one of them.

>Also they are much easier to replace and last around the same amount of time as a chain

But that's not true. They last maybe 1/3 to 1/6th the time of a chain.

>none interference master race

Dont care

already replaced :D

xD my friend

If the timing belt slipped enough to stop the engine and it's an interference engine then it's time to look for a new car. But they really don't just slip out of nowhwere like that unless your tensioner gave out or something.

Happened to me in an Impreza when I thought
>oh I'll just change it next year
>uh, oh, well, I'll probably last another year
and after a little bit of sputtering it was over. Engine lunched itself.

or just use a long screwdriver or metal bar like everyone else

timing chains stretch and the tensioners can break, I've seen it once

This. Timing belt failures are very rare. Especially before normal service intervals

>Serpentine belt

Most Jap vehicles I have come across have one belt for the alternator and water pump on one belt and the other accessories on a separate belt

Is it really this easy? I really want a car that's basically Lego for my first car to work on. If I bought an Rx-8 how easy would it be to work on in my normal suburban garage with normal suburban tools?

There are tons of videos on youtube. Rotary motors are seriously easy to work on.

This is actually pretty winrar

That's why they sit in people's yards or driveways with blown engines for years at a time right?

Rotary fags always forget about the rats nest of shit surrounding the motor.

Enjoy your shit compression

What the fuck and I thought Honda's K series were bad

The only flat engines I'm familiar with are Porsche's and they only burn a bit on startup, nowhere near enough to warrant topping up between their 15k mile service intervals

>e60's use a timing chain
Feels great

>Master Race

I'm on my second NA Subaru. Neither one burns any oil. But I guess like the head gasket thing if you have enough problems with some particular model or other you get stuck with a reputation.

Slav taxi motor

at least honda didnt put the fucking timing chain on the backside of the engine, between engine and firewall, i believe that was user's point

Pretty sure the ls and lt series motors use chains

>Belts dont ride in the oil which causes more wear on the oil.
>MORE WEAR ON THE OIL

Are you niggers telling me I need to change my oil before I change my timing chain?

Not him, but my non-interference is good for 9.4:1.

>150k intervals on the timing belt.

Im not worried

No, just that it's an additional sheer force on the oil which causes degradation. It's not a particularly noteworthy wear at all.

Yeah as opposed to that damn crankshaft. Jeez if it weren't for the timing chain I could wait 20 years instead of 10 between oil changes >:(

n54?

Stop! You have been visited by the Whirring Motor of Kraut Space Magic!

Unexplainable engine sounds and oil system failures will NOT come to you, but only if you reply with "Geh weg schwere motor!"

I don't know, ask fucking ducati.

>these belts are flimsier than normal timing belts and put up with higher revs and tighter tension
>you're meant to replace them every two years or 7500 miles

Meanwhile, in chain-timed hondaland
>check your solid lifters once every 25,000 miles
>they probably won't be out of spec

>but you see
>it is the frequent maintenance that makes the bike good
>Italian bikes make a the rider care for his bike

My old 250 bandit had 160k km on the clock, top had never been cracked open. Chain was fine, tensioner was a little fucked but valve clearances were just a touch out of spec.

Unfortunately, a magnet came off the flywheel and sent half a pound of iron dust through the entire block.

Ducati does do some strange stuff.

in theory, they use their special valve timing system because it lets their engines rev higher without valve float. the belts are part of this because it's less mass to spin around. "see, it's a super high RPM engine we need a belt"

in reality, they rev to 13-14 grand at the most while yamaha's regular old inline fours can go past 16,000 RPM without valve float issues because they just have stiffer springs. F1 cars that rev about as high also don't use belts, or desmemedronic valves. or air cooled two cyllinder engines.

the timing belt is my biggest fear in my honda.

>Ducati makes a serious racebike for once because they're tired of losing to manlet lolicon engineers
>V4 engine
>water cooled
>Gear/chain driven cams

Mama mia, mi heritageiti

tfw spent hours changing my timing belt on my accord to avoid paying a mechanic to do it ONLY to have it make a funky ass noise when I started it
looks like im gonna have to pay a mechanic anyway ;_;