/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/citra-emu/citra/issues/2770
citra-emu.org/wiki/dumping-game-cartridges/)
archive.org/download/No-Intro-Collection_2016-01-03_Fixed
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6gip9y/how_reliable_is_the_emulation_general_wiki/
cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
github.com/ihaveamac/3dsconv
wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-1700x-benchmarks-leaked-beats-kaby-lake-ipc/
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Faq/How-does-IPC-compare-between-AMDs-Ryzen-and-Intels-Kaby-Lake/108
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i5-7500 @ 3.40GHz&id=2910
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD Ryzen 7 1700X&id=2969
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7500-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1500X/3648vs3921
anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1604
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoodTools
github.com/libretro/RetroArch/wiki/Manually-Creating-Custom-Playlists
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're welcome

tl:dr
byuu want more twitter followers

You know what the emulation scene is to me? Or at least the Veeky Forums emulation scene?

It's Kyle's Cousin Kyle from South Park.

Turns up outta nowhere, at first we figure sure, okay, it's another place to discuss emulation related things, won't be that big of an inconvenience. Then the complaints start. "Oh we don't emulate on modern sysssstems because they don't output at 240p. Pack them away, we need Wii consoles." "Oh we can't use regular screens because there's input lehhhhhg. Can you hook up some heavy CRTs for us?" "Oh that developer is a Jew, so we just shitpost about him and everything he does. Why don't we talk about Squarepusher and RetroArch?" "Oh we can't eat anything with beef in it, it gives us bag gehhhhs. Do you mind if we have fish?" All these little niggling things that compound into major headaches, and it gets to the point where you can't help but feel resentment for it, and you'd rather not see it come back. Then comes the guilt trip. "Oh why do they hate us? They never gave us a chance, they're all a bunch of fucking bigots."

Is that the Stallman bastard son

> Drama-Free Zone

Lasted a whole... 12 hours

based

Half of Emugen in a nutshell, basically.

>emugen
>why do they hate us

emugen is more like "fuck off plebs"

Teknoparrot 0.5 released already? Reaver said it's coming today

is it safe to say rpcs3 is finally progressing better than citra

Both are progressing well, why did you say RPCS3 is better?

I accidentally deleted my Dualshock 4 driver, how do I get it back

Citra isn't progressing at all. It's trash. And they still haven't made any attempts at supporting encrypted content despite the fact that the bootroms were dumped almost a month ago.

Are you blind or you just don't look at the GitHub before saying thi? There is no need to support encrypted content, you can dump your games decrypted from the 3DS

>Watch video of Kid Icarus on Citra
>It runs really well
>"Oh shit I can play with a KB&M"
>It gets to the ground part
>mfw

fuck off, citradev.

Controls with k+m on Citra for this game in particular are really terrible, on the ground I don't even try to play, it's a fucking torture.
Not a dev, you don't need to be a dev to see the obvious, go check shit before talking shit

github.com/citra-emu/citra/issues/2770
>open an issue
>it's not a issue at all
>request for FUCKING VR SUPPORT
Why no one closed this shit?

>you can dump your games decrypted from the 3DS
Boy I can't wait when a few years later the 3ds scene is filled with badly dumped games because the devs enforced no standards.

>READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games

I can't find any place on the wiki about where to download ROMs, I usually just use the shitty sites that come up on google like Emuparadise but suddenly within the last two days the Pokemon ROMs were taken down, what happened?

It's already happening, but most people are not retards that can't follow simple instructions (citra-emu.org/wiki/dumping-game-cartridges/)

Enter the wiki, go down to the "FAQS" section, to your right "ROM/ISO Sites"

I'm an asshole, I've been looking for that for two days. Thank you user!

You're welcome, be sure to download one or two fullsets for backup (especially from Nintendo consoles/handhelds), as Nintendo is taking down stuff recently (Emuparadise for example)

Can anyone confirm that those links just died? I downloaded the GBC fullset some hours ago but I forgot the GB one, so I just went back now and I'm getting a "Item not available
The item is not available due to issues with the item's content."
archive.org/download/No-Intro-Collection_2016-01-03_Fixed

There is no way to get a bad dump these days, with godmode9 all you need is to press a button.

Well fuck. Just refreshed the page and the session was expired. Thanks

Downloading now, it's working user

Should Mario Bros. (NES) overworld background look blue or something between blue and purple?

thanks

So I want to update to the newest Citra but I also want to make sure I keep the saves from my old games.

How do I do this?

Your save files are in "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Citra". If you're updating using Bleeding Edge, your files are safe because they're not touched in any way, but you can copy the entire "Citra" folder to somewhere as a backup

okay.

>You don't need to be a dev to see the obvious
Not that user but I'm glad you got the basics, straight to the point then, which is easier: Having to backup your game, put it into your 3DS, decrypt it and then put it on your PC again or simply opening the Encrypted ROM directly?

>There is no way to get a bad dump these days
I remember retards spouting this exact same shit for PS1 and even SNES games but here we are.

Straight to the point: you don't backup your game and then put on your 3DS, you backup it directly decrypted, the dump is "Citra ready" before even touching the PC (unless you choose to not decrypt it, wich is ok too if you only want to play on the 3DS). And I've to add that you can decrypt on PC now, so you can do it to your entire library just one time. Citra devs are already remaking the way the emulator load files and loading encrypted roms will be true in the future, but the way we have now works too with no additional steps. It's a win win situation

Fuck sake the redditard are at it again
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6gip9y/how_reliable_is_the_emulation_general_wiki/

muh boogeyman

Who in the flying fuck universe would use "TransGirlInCharge" as a name?

How do you know if someone is trans/vegan/crossfit? They will tell you repeatedly.

Where does a decent Ryzen CPU rank compared with the latest i5 in terms of emulation performance?

cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Help brehs
emuparadise took all their zelda games down
i wanted to download twilight princess
is there any legit,safe site i can download it from?

nvm i'm an idiot just found it on redump

>And I've to add that you can decrypt on PC now
How?
Does the wiki have a tutorial on this?

AFAIK, it doesn't.
But you can use this to decrypt files.
github.com/ihaveamac/3dsconv

It's because too many people in this "community" suffer from a legitimacy complex. They expect the devs to operate together efficiently like a corporation, but 90% of them aren't devs, and are thus incapable of doing anything to advance the "community". The other 10% who are devs all expect the other devs to fall in line with their own vision of the "community"; this is why there are retards like squarepusher trying to boss other devs around and ranting about how nobody listens to their stupid ideas.

In reality, the "community" is a group of talented people who have tangentially-related hobby projects, and no real affiliations with one another.

In practical emulation speed overall, about 25% slower provided you're pushing your 7600k to 5Ghz and your Ryzen at 4Ghz.
The Ryzen is still enough in 99% of practical cases but CEMU and a few game in PCSX2 will need the 7600k @ 5Ghz, maybe dolphin too if you like the CPU clock override option.
Would wait for the Coffee Lake Hexacore if your aim is having the ultimate emulation CPU without going completely overboard price wise.

>about 25% slower provided you're pushing your 7600k to 5Ghz and your Ryzen at 4Ghz
What is this based on?

Half based on genral result from Kaby lake vs Ryzen benches and half based on the observation that Ryzen behaves more or less like an Haswell CPU at the same clockspeed
It's not necessarily accurate to every emulator as Dolphin will show over 30% improvement in it's own bench (which has little impact in practical performance but it's the most accurate emulation bench out there but it seems to hold true on most emulator.

So pure speculation?
I find it hard to believe that even a 1800X would perform only 25% slower than a 7600k overclocked to 5Ghz.

>half based on the observation that Ryzen behaves more or less like an Haswell CPU at the same clockspeed
Except this isn't true at all.

Well believe what you want I've found bench that even go farther than what I'm saying and claim Ryzen beats Kaby Lake when both are running at the same clockspeed
wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-1700x-benchmarks-leaked-beats-kaby-lake-ipc/
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Faq/How-does-IPC-compare-between-AMDs-Ryzen-and-Intels-Kaby-Lake/108

Is PPSSPP better than just playing PSP games on a CFW PS3?

>wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-1700x-benchmarks-leaked-beats-kaby-lake-ipc/
That article compares 1700x to a i5 7500 and straight up lies about it.
Is wccftech an AMD shill site?
It says
>AMD Ryzen 1700X Beats Kaby Lake In Single Threaded Performance Despite A Lower Clock Speed In Userbench
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i5-7500 @ 3.40GHz&id=2910
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD Ryzen 7 1700X&id=2969
Not only does the 7500 beat 1700X in STP, its also almost half the fucking price.

>unironically using wccftech as a source
Those "leaked" benchmarks were literal propaganda released by AMD.
everyone called them out on that bullshit

Probably should have tried showing me the single thread perfomance then because all I see is the 7500 having half the score of the 1700X right there.

So let's try something else
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7500-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1500X/3648vs3921

It's not any worse of a source than cpubenchmark whcih uses only their own proprietary bench that is 100% synthetic and has little basis in reality.

>Probably should have tried showing me the single thread perfomance then
Its directly below the rating you blind git

RA's x68k core is off to a cracking start. Everything i tried doesn't work, and yet the same roms work fine in all the standalone emus like XM6.

>It's not any worse of a source than cpubenchmark
are you retarded?
Those "leaked" benchmarks don't hold up at all in any tests. Its practically made up shit.

anandtech.com/bench/CPU/1604
Here are singlethreaded cinebench benchmarks.
Notice how the 7500 is above the 1700X?
This is why you don't take the kikes who have every reason to deceive you for their word. If those benchmarks were true then 1700X would've been above the 7500.

Honestly both benches show either one being above or below each other by something that is well within the error margin for benches.
Anyway
even going from the benchamrk you posted you can extrapolate that a 1700X @ 4Ghz would be about 30% slower than a Kaby Lake @ 5Ghz
And that's excluding a bunch of factors your bench doesn't talk about namely which AGESA version and what ram which means in hte worst case scenario that's a 5-10% speed penalty against Ryzen.

>even going from the benchamrk you posted you can extrapolate that a 1700X @ 4Ghz would be about 30% slower than a Kaby Lake @ 5Ghz
This is like extrapolating people can fly after seeing someone jump. Its completely retarded.

do you guys upscale textures on PPSSPP? pre-rendered images kind of look awful with it, and i'm not sure if it improves the quality on 3d models that much

>7700k is faster than a 1800X by 20% at base clock
>1 GHz would only add 10% more
Have you ever overclocked anything in your life?

>Completely ignoring turbo in a sinngle thread bench
And don't give me the "muh turbo is fake bullshit" the 7700T in that benchmark wouldn't be where it is if that was even remotely true.

>>Completely ignoring turbo in a sinngle thread bench
Who are you quoting?

The wrong post apparently

>tfw reddit actually wasn't that retarded

what kind of PC specs are needed to run Pokemon games on Citra?

is it possible with 16GB RAM and geforce GTX 1070?

Citra is more CPU dependent than anything else.

good that I am buying new one then

the current CPU (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz) is from 2009 and Citra runs Pokemon Omega Ruby on 15-20 FPS

i think with new one it can get above fluent 30 FPS then

>Q6600
Blast from the past right fucking there
G0?
What kind of OC are you holding on it?

How is the N64 emulation scene? PS1 and SAT are on a pretty good state right now(Mednafen PS1, Mednafen SAT), on N64 emulation is fucking horrible, Angrylion runs the games perfectly, but slowly, i got only some games at full speed on this plugin(Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Wipeout 64, Duke Nukem 64, Quake 64) on my Core i5 4460 3.2Ghz, and GlideN64 is getting good, but it can't show the reflections on F-Zero X, and some games even don't boot(Scud Racer 64), ParaLLEL seems dead, what's happening with the scene?

no OC

it was fucking beast back in the day

nowdays from modern games only Witcher 3, FIFA 17 and Dirt Rally can still run on it on fluent 30 FPS - games like Attila Total War or Far Cry 4 were killing it

although i was still able to run Desmume and play IV and V gen of Pokemon pretty well though

now I am upgrading to i7 7700k in hopes to run Citra on 30 FPS

>no OC
You could get 3.6-4Ghz with a decent cooler provided it's a G0, try it at-least once before you change it, shit is magical.

I'm trying to fall for the RetroArch meme, but it's putting up a fight;

1) Why is it that when I scan a given directory, not every game shows up?

2) How do I delete games from a RetroArch menu once they've been scanned?

3) How does BSNES mercury compare to SNES9x for input lag

>3) How does BSNES mercury compare to SNES9x for input lag
They should have equivalent input lag assuming you are talking about the cores for both
Any difference would be imperceptible.

Is PPSSPP (on PC) superior to using the PS3's built in PSP emulator? The games I want to emulate are all 2D sprite based so probably won't be using the upscaling features.

Yes it is

Maybe it's endrift's alt

) Why is it that when I scan a given directory, not every game shows up?

I think it's based on whether it's a "verified" good rom, the ones with exclamation marks next to them. You have to add them manually to the list.

) How do I delete games from a RetroArch menu once they've been scanned?

I forget if you can do it in RA, but you can just go into the automatically generated list and manually delete the lines to remove it.

Where do I find this list that shows which roms have exclamation marks next to them?

Where is this automatically generated list? I assume you're referring to something outside retroarch?

Woops, fucked up my greentext.

To answer your first question, most romsets have some notations next to them from GoodTools en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoodTools

If your roms don't, just google GoodTools and whatever system they're for.

As for the list, whenever RA scans a directory and finds games, it generates (or adds, if it already exists) a text file with a list of the games it found.

You can read all about it here github.com/libretro/RetroArch/wiki/Manually-Creating-Custom-Playlists

Best place to get Genesis/Sega CD box art scans?

Ignore the GUI completely and just run everything from command line.

but I want a gui :(
perhaps something like Launchbox might serve me better?

I'd choose EmulationStation over that but it's down to personal preference.

and yeah without the patreon I’d have already had to close the project down - our buildbot server alone costs a cool $150 per month
and there are numerous other expenditures each month
and you wouldn’t believe the bandwidth we are churning through each month
good month we don’t have to pay extra for that (yet)

we are also spending $150 on bounties each month
and $50 on some webhosting - maybe a bit more
then some other additional costs on top of that

$1,065
per month

and get a trip

>- our buildbot server alone costs a cool $150 per month

Why aren't they using torrents to reduce server usage? That's what torrents originally were for.

So then he has an excuse to pocket $900.

I think he's talking about the machine's rent, not bandwidth.

And torrents really aren't practical for shit that's outdated the very next day.

>There is no need to support encrypted content, you can dump your games decrypted from the 3DS
Why am I fucking emulating if I have original hardware?

Better start those preservation projects, but each time we want to play a game we'll need our still functional 3DS to decrypt them.

Is Citra usable nowadays?
I have a gtx1080 and a i7-6700k and pokemon moon stuttered like hell and was completely unplayable last time I tried (around the time pokemon moon came out)
Is Citra usable nowadays?

Where you at, Play! user? How did testing go? Shall we beg SP for a port now?

Come to think of it, SP could sponsor Play! development through bounties.

No need. They are working on automatic decryption.