Engineering Explained

>Engineering Explained

Is this guy legit or is he just another youtube meme?

I haven't watched much but most of his explanations are basic ass shit and later vids feel like ads for various companies.

He knows what he's talking about.
I think 90% of Veeky Forums could learn a lot from him.

As legit as it gets.

Paid shill, move on.

Nah he's an idiot, he talks about how lowering your car just on springs is wrong because you are messing up important suspension geometry and shock damping rates, then goes on to say the only proper way to lower a car is with fully adjustable everything that the monkey doing your wheel alignment somehow knows to set up perfectly. Fuck off

That's typically true, however. The basic message is that what's wrong with kids who just slap lowering springs on and expect to have something better other than that it looks cool is that they don't understand suspension geometry.

It's pretty intro level stuff from what I've seen, but what are you going to do unless you make a mini-documentary about a particular model and why you did what you did to sort it out? I think it speak more to how lazy kids are these days that they put time in to watching e-celebs all the time and then complaining when they weren't spoonfed.

>Paid shill

This.
He used to be okay, but as soon as he got popular """sponsors""" came calling and he's been enthusiastically felating the money cock and passing it off as content ever since.

Literally:
>Engineering Explained: Why this brand tyre is awesome

>lowering your car just on springs is wrong because you are messing up important suspension geometry and shock damping rates

But that's true, though.

I watched some of his early videos and they're fine, it's really clear he's just parroting shit he heard
The newer ones stink of over edited blogger shit and under the counter money

>t. boiracer who can only afford cutting springs

He is legit, if you don't listen to his promotion stuff. For the actual Engineering part he seems like a great teacher.

Yeah have fun with your shocks being shot twice as fast because they need to carry higher mass.

I like his videos.

He is a little boring sometimes.

this

he's literally as legit as it gets. he's so fucking monotone it kills me to watch, but every genius has something wrong. He's literally an engineer and has videos on any process you can spell out in words with cars. from horsepower vs. torque to how to get more HP to what the fuck a torque is. he's great, but god damn hes the most stale being on the planet

>very thorough
>little boring
>lots of useless videos that don't matter to you
>takes a while for him to get to the point
>no fancy editing (does everything on a white board)
>okay voice
>can't skip ahead in his videos because you'll lose track (one continuous stream of coherent information)

Haven't seen much of his stuff but that's pretty much it.

He knows what he's talking about

He has a degree in engineering

Post your riceshit so we can laugh at it

I'm too distracted by his prematurely graying hair

SHILL

mostly legit. went to NC State or something and has a MechE degree. Half his videos are sponsored nowadays but its worth the sub for his legit explanations

>appeal to authority fallacy

as a holder of a mechanical engineering degree, i find this guy kind of annoying.

the degree makes it possible for you to approach novel problems and work them out, but it doesn't make you an expert on anything.

this guy has no industry experience and comes off as a bit naive in many videos.

he's not doing anything that anyone with a lick of mechanical aptitude and a 4 year degree could do.

i get annoyed because people credit the fact that he holds a mech. e degree as some if it's something that makes you automatically an authority on automotive technology and/or engineering.

when you finish this degree, it's apparent how little you actually know and that there's a lifetime of knowledge to gain about any particular subject. it takes a lot of time in the shit before you even begin to resemble an expert in the field - that's why this guy comes off as annoying to me.

>video playback speed 2.5x
perfecto

Video to Video.

He's a shill in some, a good teacher in others.

Here's the thing about engineers. Engineers always want to design the perfect thing. The perfect system.

We all want our cars to be tweaked here, one more thing, The compounding problems continue.

Same thing with engineers. Strive for perfection everytime. No matter the cost, no matter the time.

For example, he'll talk shit about cutting your springs. And say it throws off the rest of your suspension geometry. What he fails to mention, is that lower your center of gravity can have a net positive than fucking your suspension geometry.

After he trashed rotaries, I was out with his channel. He is right about them. But lets not forget, cars aren't 100% about speed, comfort, min maxing.

You drive cars for the spirit. The feel, the connection.

He needs a video explaining that. Why the 911 is iconic, and how it compared to other sports cars in the era from an engineering perspective.

or why the ae86 has such a following in japan.

There are a lot of reasons why these cars are chosen. Compared to lets say an Altima.

>that video where he shilled for the nsx

Yeah, i used to watch his stuff until he started shilling. Its. A Shame, but someone new will come allong

is this the infamous "reddit spacing"?

I can't stand his monotone way of talking and complete lack of personality. It reminds me of all the shitty professors I had to sit through in college.

This, it was the most shameful advertising video I've seen. Worse than Demuro's video on the Ford GT.

Why is the mass they are carrying changed? It's still on the same car. It's just working in a different part if it's travel and at a different frequency, and with less travel. If anything the shock should last longer because it's not having to move as far.

Because the springs take less of the stress off of the shock. Because they are softer.

Huge meme watch the workshop instead

I'm not reading your opinion is irrelevant now fuck off back to /r/The_Donald/ you nigger faggot

He spends 10 minutes explaining basic shits word to word as wikihow then cant even make a comprehensive explanation for stuff not on wikihow. Then you have the rest of his videos that are paid advertising.

So what's the point? Just ignore the sponsored videos and watch the rest. He makes a living of his channel.

>is this the infamous "reddit spacing"?
this. someone explain pls

Dude uploads too much, its constant i had to unsub. He's pretty legit though, he knows his shit and is way better than engineering explained.

>Because the springs take less of the stress off of the shock. Because they are softer.
>softer
?
You are going to have to explain that. Along with how you think the springs take less of the stress from the shock.

He actually has had worked as an engineer, which you can see on his linked-in page.

t. assmad stancefag

his taste in cars is unbelievably garbage, and he's a full on dork, but the channel is decent enough

he knows how to explain shit well, and he makes useful vids for people that are new to cars. but he's boring and he has lots of grey hairs.

>holder of a mechanical engineering degree
Same here.

I'm going to tell you a story guys. I went to the university with a rich dude. He had more experience with engines and modifications than alot of people in my country. I met him at the ICE classes, I got him in my group for the practical lessons, the guy know so much shit that we could disassemble and assemble a 4 banger in 2 hours, down to single pieces and back, with 4 people.
So naturally our group got ahead of the class. So he talks to the teacher in order to bring and engine from an UMM he got into a lake and flooded. So he did, next weak we were using a engine lift to lift it out of the back of his sup up Mitsubishi truck.
It left a mess in the ICE shop and made it finally look like a shop is supposed to look to the dismay of the cleaning staff.
He disassembled the gearbox and engine dried it of and put it back together in 4 weeks, 12 hours.
By then the semester was about to end.
Top grades from the "laboratories" for all of us.
But the teoretical lesson, I barely get passing grade. And that dude. HE FAILED.
He was SO MAD that he spent €500k opening an autoshop just to prove the theory teacher he was a better mechanic then he would ever been in his entire life. The practical teacher even helped him telling him what tools and equipment would make his shop stand out.
He spent 150k on a chassis straightener alone.
And he made it happen.
Drop from uni and opened shop. In his second month his shop was awarded best in country, 3rd month the same.
He now runs the go to shop for muscle-car repairing and restoration in the country and one of the best for classic Mercedes restoration.

Just to say about Engineering Explained. Having a degree, in terms of physics and stuff like that, he knows what he is talking about. But in pratical terms, he doesn't have enough experience in alot of the matters, the handbrake button vid still grinds my gears, and his handbrake gears too.

protip, if you start your videos with hey youtube or some loud engine note i automatically close the video

So he had a lot of money and was good with a spanner yet was as dumb as a box of rocks when it came to engineering. You don't get an architect to tile your roof like you don't get an engineer to change a tire. I'm sure you are both very good at the latter.

R E V U P Y O U R E N G I N E S
E
V

U
P

Y
O
U
R

E
N
G