Buying citroen xm

Sup Veeky Forums. How crazy am I if I'm going to buy citroen xm in the pic? It's from 1999, 2.0 16v engine. No rust, lhm recently changed, looks clean. It's probably going to need timing belt change though.
Also Citroen thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7iarg2_RdOA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Make sure all the hydraulics work and it has no leaks anywhere, you don't want to have to tear the entire car apart just to replace one tiny little tube or fitting that decided to start leaking.

Where are you frenchfags, I need your opinion

They are obscenely comfortable cars, I've only ever ridden in one though.
If you can afford the fuel and maintenance and you think you've found a good example go for it.

My dad once had a Xantia; it's a boat, but an offensively comfortable one.

Go for it if you like being cocooned and give zero fucks about performance. Those are deceptively complex cars though so don't neglect it and keep an eye on the hydraulic system.

>tfw hear how comfortable Citroens are all the time here and on other sites
>tfw the only Citroens sold in the US aren't exactly common and I've only seen one DS in person years ago at a show

I just want to experience it once man.

Op here. My grandpa and my uncle had french car parts shop. We had many citroens: CX, BX, 2 XMs, ZX, C5 and Xantia that unfortunately I recently crashed.
I always liked XMs and I'm looking for some specific advices and quirks from owners of these beatiful cars.

>I just want to experience it once man.

Big Citroens with the fabled oleopneumatic suspension, don't be tricked into the small ones from the Peugeot era (the perevious 2CV-based ones are a whole other kind of special).

>mfw it's my dream car
>mfw I can easily buy one with no rust at all (Italy)
>mfw I can't afford to look after it

If you are ready go for it, meanwhile I'll be in my Saxo pretending to be driving a XM

Just go for it. You can always sell it later. It'll be definately cheaper to maintain than my uncle's C6

>two litre engine
>if you can afford the fuel

Just don't drive in the city much and the fuel economy isn't bad.

Op here once again
Just spoke with good Citroen mechanic. He says the engine (2.0 16v) is shit and I should reconsider. Also mark II doesn't hold any value. On top of that if car leaks from the back cost of repair is beyond unimaginable. Now I'm scared.
Car is only around 2500zł (600$ (?)). Should I go for it?

They're heavy as shit, so fuel economy is far from stellar no matter which engine.

For that money, resale value isn't exactly important, is it? Only go for it if the car is in good shape mechanically, as I've said before, you don't want to have to tear the entire thing apart to find and fix a leak.

You're not gonna be losing too much value if it's only 600€ anyways.

Are they really that heavy? Wiki states under 1400kg, that's not really that heavy. Xantia weights the same (I had 2.0hdi). 3.0 and 2.5d are heavy ones.

It's not quite landbarge-tier, but for the time that's quite a lot.

Look for cracks on the rubber on the front suspension domes or you'll end up with pic related

If its only $600 it's probably rooted desu.

Go over it with a fine toothed comb, make sure the wacky suspension doesn't need anything doing with it because I can't imagine it'll be cheap or easy to get parts for it.

What does he mean by "leaks from the back"? From what I know the big problems occur at the high pressure pump (should be called an "octopus" or "6+2" or something by your mech), and yes the cost for a total rebuiold of this pump in France is something like 2000€
But the rest of the system is quite sturdy, you can get replacement spheres for peanuts (45€ a pair for mine, new not pulled from a junkyard) and the rest of the circuit is basically brake lines.
Also maintenance and correct sotrage are key for this old Citroens, if it's been garaged you should be alright. Hell if the owner changed the fluid it already shows that he was serious about maintenance, it is one of the first things that people neglect on that type of cars.
Regarding the engine: 2.0 is clearly not fast but is more than enough for daily driving in a Xantia, so it should be sufficient in an XM which is not that much heavier. Check if the timing belt AND ITS ACCESSORIES has been replaced by someone who knew what he was doing: the belt is as important as the tensioners and pulleys on which it runs. It's an interference engine, friend of mine did a nice valve & piston salad when a mechanic replaced only the belt and not the tensioner.

t. me and two friends have / had a Xantia

Regarding cost, fuel etc: $600 is hella cheap, if it runs alright and maintenance is OK get it. Worst case scenario there is a catastrophic failure in 6 months (octopus decides to quit for no reason, clutch takes a shit) but if it runs alright and has been taken care of you shouldn't have any immediate problems.
So worst case scenario you had a big, extremely comfy car for 6 months for 100$ a month; best case scenario it keeps on rolling for two or three years without needing any unscheduled repair and you'll be able to look for a new daily without urgence.
Fuel: my 1.8 16v xantia sips 6L/100 when driving only on the highway @ 130km/h GPS, and never drinks more than 7,5L/100km (city driving and I've got a heavy foot). So the XM being heavier and with the 2.0 should get an average of 7,5L/100km, 8L tops.
I'm this guy btw

Yeah he meant octopus. So if it's not rotten buy it. Got ya.
From another cup. How's BX wagon for a daily? There's one (1.9d) for twice the cost but in top notch condition.

I know it's the big ones with the hydropnumatic suspension. I may be a burger, but I know a little about them.

Someday I hope I can experience the maximum amount of comfort a car can afford.

diesel is loud and slow, but runs forever. Reasonably comfy and very spacious.

crazy sik cunt

BX is OK for a daily but 1.9D, holy shit so much this IIRC it makes something like 70hp when it's in the mood for it. But the advantage here is that evern if the timing belt has been neglected, normally it doesn't self destroy.
When looking at both cars: put the suspension in the highest setting, get out of the car and stand a few meters away from the back of the car. The back wheels should be vertical |__| and not cambered /__\. If they have excessive camber, you need to change the bushing/bearing of the trailing arms in the back (4-500€ for each side in France, doing it yourself is cheaper but you need a press, a torch, etc... not worth it)

Keeping this going, what should one look out for when trying to find an SM in the US?

I'm trying to look for something that needs work (so that my costs are gradual and I get to know everything that could be wrong with it) but I'd at least like something that has the most critical issues in decent condition.

Currently I know about the sodium filled valves and... Well, hydraulic niggles, though I plan on needing to eventually tear down the car anyway so that won't be QUITE as much an issue. But is there anything else?

>SM
I really hope you're dedicated.

where are you poleanon? frenchfag here and I'm in polen right now, i can give you a hand.
Xantia Activa with the 2,0 16v or V6 are fast as shit for FWD mid priced shitboxes.
turns flatter than some modern sports cars.

youtube.com/watch?v=7iarg2_RdOA

yep

French leader standing by :

XM v6 24v or gtfo !

>pas une CX 2500 turbo 2
trouduc

op here. So I bought the xm. Everything seems fine, only small issues:
- lhc leek from container but it's just broken seal where you pour it.
- oil leek from engine. that another broken seal.
- 'mushroom' is stuck, but lhc level is ok and suspension works great
any tips?

If you don't buy that car I'm coming over to Czechia to kick you in the bollocks.

Don't worry, It's standing right outside

If I wasn't why would I be looking for a beater?

Then please do it, we need to keep as many of these gorgeous machines on the road as possible.