/CCG/ - Classic Car General

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Going topless edition.

Generic copy/pasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, but a vehicle really needs that certain something, to be classic.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice.

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality.

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox.

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins.

>It's perfectly acceptable to use RTV silicone, ignore the haters.

Early for hyped for this thing.

>only Three-hundred and two (302) cubic inches
>not Three-hundred and seventy-one (371) cubic inches

Would rather 460ci but this is less expensive

I'm going from a 400 to a 460 when the main bearings give up. I have the luxury of a direct swap though. You would need a new transmission, right?

Nah, it's a C6 with a 300, and the 300 uses the small block Ford bolt pattern. 302 is a direct swap, the hardest part actually though was finding motor towers to hold up the engine. It literally took me 2 years of eBay and Craigslist until I could find a pair but for an absurd price.

For a not absurd price*

That sucks about the mounts. It's shitty how sometimes parts are just not available.

I was referring to swapping to a 460 from a 300 though. Those bolt patterns are different, right?

Yeah. There's the sbf pattern, the modified pattern, fe pattern and 385 and diesel pattern. Fuck Chevy for having the same pattern.

That being said, the 300 uses the same motor towers as the Fe just repositioned, and the sbf uses the same towers as the Cleveland and modified motors.

>complaining about having a logical pattern for transmission mounting
You don't even know what it's like having half the bellhousing being cast into the block and thus only being able to use two transmissions.

Havent had the top off all year :(

bamp

>not 460

Classic cars are definitely more interesting to work on than these plastic molded Japanese depression-mobiles.

>not documenting significant changes in design
>no consistency in application
>vehicle is not valuable or common

I have entered true hell

my old bronco; should not have sold it

God damn dude. That is a level of mud I have never experienced before, but I suspect the previous owners of mine did, given how much was caked underneath it.

What kind of condition was yours in? And why did you sell it?

Mine is a rolling restoration in progress. Couple a major items left, but getting close to finish. I might not do paint because I plan on doing some offroad action.

So what, any agriculture/industrial engine?
You have no idea trying to find the specifications for an American made air-cooled flathead V4 stationary engine.

Meh. They both have benefits and downsides. Poor filters, blow off valves and coilovers are cool to me.

>blow off valves

Kek. Muh *PSSSSSHHHHHHHH* sounds cool.

tfw no Weiand 6-71

>Tfw no 8-71
Think bigger.

nigga that's 568 cubes

>Going topless edition
ohyes

also check out this horse
fuckin Jaina bru

I'm talking about the supercharger size.
>But that obscure feel of having no 2 stroke supercharged diesel behemoth

>tfw no 12v71 sandrail

or, how to dig a hole to china the smart way.

Kek. Roots blowers are top tier in my book.

>you have the same problem as me
>you have no idea how hard it is for me

choose one

Yes, nothing else can match the look but having to cut a hole in the hood just doesn't appeal to me.

weed

What does /ccg/ think of soviet classics?

They look like an extremely affordable entry into 50's style car that no one will care about if it ends up destroyed.

gl w/ the parts unless you live in a former soviet territory.

>tfw when no eastern block classic to cry yourself to sleep in every night because mother russia reclaimed your property for the collective good.

But peasants can't have V8s

it really looks like a knockoff of american postwar cars

which run a steep premium in burgerland because 'muh boomermobile'

I hate to say this, because >1.0L I3 2-smoke
but you'd probably be better off swapping in the drivetrain from a Suzuki Sidekick/Samurai or something from some other tiny little Japanese/American car.

or put the body on something equally small, worthless, and common

like this mustang sitting on a ford mondeo

That's a car that looks perfect for a bmc a-series

>he unironically thinks *PSSSSSHHHH* sounds cooler than *SSSSSTUTUTUTUTUTU*

>*SSSSSTUTUTUTUTUTU*
Literally gay af

>Literally gay af
takes one to know one FAGGOT

Sorry i hurt your feeling but if you unironically make that sound with your mouth ever you suck huge cocks just like Marty.

DONT FUCKING DISRESPECT MY MATES BRA

Did someone say topless?

Crownon is that you?

Drac?

That looks like shit, you must be boomer trash to like that homomobile

Yeah; forgot my trip, but the plate makes up for it.

AH'VE HAD IT WITH YOU MATE

So next weekend will be interesting. Going shooting in Virginia and going to pick up my Citroën Traction Avant while I'm down there.

Post many pics. French cars make me hard.

I'm trying to hold off on the dose until I have a fully sick turbo i6

Oh I will. Initially I'm going to paint it up like a Free French Army vehicle, like this. Since the paint on the car is tired I'm going to have to age up what I put on to make it look good.

Will just any 2 cycle oil work for pre-mix in my rotary (stock 13b NA)? Right now I only have access to what the local lowes has on hand, which is husqvarna branded shit and pro mix shit.

It's all exactly the same, use the Walmart unbranded shit, lube is lube

Well Veeky Forumstists, I head to deliver the first payment tomorrow.
I have officially named her Beatrice, because she was my second choice, but was a pleasant surprise.

It's been a fucking week getting the damn cash together for it, but it'll be worth it.

Also, anyone else here watch Roadkill much?
I feel the need to go fuck about in a junkyard tomorrow.
The local one has a mostly complete 60's era Chevy, I can't remember the model, but it's bright green.
I may see if it still works, and try to conceal its condition until I have the cash for it.

Guys. I think I have an addiction.

Oh, also, what's a good guide to installing an aftermarket radio?

I'm a fucking moron, and a friend gave me an old one of his.
It's already got speakers mounted, so I don't feel bad about putting one in.

>Ford
Sorry for your loss.

Why?
It's got an inline six and the accellerates nicely.
Yeah i've seen better acceleration, and it's only a three speed, but it's comfy, cool looking, fun, and really what more could you want?

>what more could you want?
DODGE
O
D
G
E

Bite me, faggot.
At least I have my ford.
What dodge do you have in mind?

>What dodge do you have in mind?
An ultra-rare convertible Superbee.

'70, right?

I'll give you that.
But you won't be finding a superbee for $2,500.

>not having a ford and a mopar

Fair do's.

>trusting those bastards at Dearborn.

>implying your mopar has literally anything to do with the place of manufacture.
after 10 years it's null and void.

Ford a best

I know it was made in Detroit and not that commie state California.
Should have bought a Polara, then my Grandpa would have helped build it.

I meant more that when you have a classic american car, it literally doesn't matter for 95% of the issues. specific things like ford solenoids I get, but a 50 year old ford or a 50 year old pontiac or a 50 year old plymouth are going to be about the same.

>and doesn't have a glorious pre-emissions california built vehicle

N O R U S T
O
R
U
S
T

im an absolute retard and drove my car with one of the spark plug wires unplugged. it didn't run any different and i didn't realize till i got home after about half an hour of driving. im so fucking pissed at myself right now. what did/ could i fuck up? im worried i could have hydrolocked the cylinder because of all the gas going into it

I hope you aren't trying to pass your 500 off as a Mopar.

>didn't notice a misfire
Car was already fucked don't worry

I can fap to how comfy this is

What the hell do you mean it didn't drive any different? Probably have a ton of gas just chilling in the cylinder lol, take the plug out and let it evaporate

yeah it misfires like a bitch already but im working on it

But it literally is

Maybe technically but absolutely nobody but the autistic would consider a Fiat brand car a Mopar.

This was a good time dude, it was the first time it'd been driven in 9 months

A Fiat now is literally a Mopar and so is An Alfa.

>Maybe technically but absolutely nobody but the autistic would consider a Fiat brand car a Mopar.

Or let me put it like this, if you put a Mopar badge on a Fiat or Alfa you'll prolly get your tires slashed. I'm sure i don't need to tell you how fanatical Mopar people get.

>get to claim two of the most historic makes in the world as your own
>get assmad and chimpout like the spergs you are
Mopar fanboys everyone

>Yfw I literally buy Fiat parts or of the Mopar catalog
Stay BTFO

Tempted to trade my Lincoln for pic related:

Meh. I've driven stock c4s. They're not that great.

Details? Miles? More pics?

It's an '86 with 50k miles; sadly, automatic, but all new rubber bits. Only flaw is a bad tie rod and minor tears at the driver's seat seam.

At least it isn't the 4+3 but that crossfire engine isn't that good if they still had it that year.

You thinking of trading the billy bass? If you want a sporty car, why don't you consider non-domestic

would a 69 cornet convertible suffice?
5k I know what I got
This is the only picture I have before it got turned into labeled boxes of parts

It's a TPI setup.

I have my DeLorean and Rolls Royce; not like there were any decent V8 imports, anyway.

True. What about something not v8 and light?

kek, I was thinking the same thing

Well why'd you do that?

No tire kickers I know what I got

we do total restorations so all our cars end up in boxes and then built up. Sadly interest was quickly lost because we got a few GTO's and a 71 442 that took priority and then the firebirds, so this thing has been in boxed for like 6 years now untouched.

Why would I want that when I could have a V8?

Small engines tuned up in a tiny car are fun.

Alternatively
>Tfw no Sunbeam tiger or 302/351/350 swapped fb rx7

All this talk of what is and isn't a mopar reminds of something that happened not to long ago
>at a car show
>bunch mopar fanboys boys are making a fuss
>apparently a no-mopar was assigned a block in the mopar area
>walk over to see what it is
>it's a DeSoto
>all these mopar fans yelling at this guy telling him it isn't a mopar and he should move it
>he's trying to tell them about the Forward Look, and mopars in the 50s and they aren't listening
Why are mopar fans such spergs? Do they really think anything not a 65-74 Dodge or Plymouth isn't a Mopar?

My loss is your gain youngster I only think of mopars as cars specifically produced by Chrysler and it's marques. You can have your own opinion all you want though.

But DeSoto was a Chrysler product and now so are FIAT cars and so are Alfas

Okay CCG, you've helped me plenty in that past, now I need it again.

Long story short, I shifted into first when I meant to go to third. Queue the engine roaring then dying, all in one go. Didn't hear any clunks or bangs. Tried to start it again, it'll crank but won't start. Took some Sparks out and put a camera in. 1 valve definitely touch the piston(pic related).

What else/how do I check? Off the top of my head, pushrods, bearings, timing chain. The pushrods will be easy as I'm going to take the heads off. Timing chain will be easy. How do I go about properly checking the rod/main bearings? I've seen a video where a guy sees if the end caps move in any direction. Or do I need to take the caps off and check each one?

I'm pretty pissed at myself for this mistake. I hadn't been driving it long either.