twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no

>the transmission from the subie in that movie was swapped for a RWD

why bother with it in the first place

>asphalt/tarmac
no
>dirt/gravel
rather yes

but they did it in movies anyway because in that particular baby driver scene he did it not to be quick instead to shook away the cops.

Also because most people love sik skidz

No.

youtube.com/watch?v=aD5xruwqpFc

99% of the time it isn't, the only generally accepted exceptions are in rally racing and occasionally touge racing where you're dealing with a hairpin much tighter than the car's turning radius can handle

dangerous as hell though and not worth the risk on an actual track, doing that intentionally will get you banned from a lot of places

No but it looks cooler and is funner to do, in my opinion at least

fpbp
/thread

notice even in that gif, the car swung out so wide on exit you couldn't see the apex in the frame of the camera, meaning he lost a little time with that maneuver even though it looks cool.

I think for low traction surfaces, breaking the car into a slide can make the reactions more predictable, and thus it is easier than actually figuring out a proper racing line and attempting to maintain grip all the way through.

Rally drivers do not usually completely memorize the stages so the big slides are often last-second reactions to being informed of a turn.

Only if there's not enough traction to put the power down in the first place. Then, you want to carry momentum which might involve a bit of sliding.

Track day bros with shitty tires might have an excuse if they're doing a solo lap.

>carry momentum
>sliding
This is wrong, momentum racing is 100% pure grip racing. It's literally what Miata spec teaches.

>Then, you want to carry momentum which might involve a bit of sliding.

You do not carry momentum by sliding.

Momentum is energy.
If you are going sideways you are using energy to go sideways instead of using it to go forwards.

In certain situations yes, especially in Mountain passes. In traditional races where its a big open track theirs no need to do drift

I was wondering why it was handling so weird.

its called a hand brake

What this guy said, sliding can be thought of as simply the conversion of a vector's direction depending on the angle and effect of steering. You're effectively decreasing the magnitude of the vector in the process of changing its direction; the greater the degree of angular shift, the greater the loss in magnitude. This is why racing schools spend tons of time teaching racers about how to preserve momentum by maintaining grip. If you lose traction traction you lose momentum, exactly like you said.

It has applications in rallying but even then it's often pretty risky.

This. It's why I love rally. Combination of drift and grip driving.

no dude, they sold the car after the film came out and showed the mod list, it was in fact rwd swapped

they couldn't find an example that didn't have a fucking layer of cigarette tar deposits on the a-pillar and by the sunroof?

fucking gross

hated how this movie made the cops look like idiots. ruined my suspension of disbelief

oh lame

watch Drive, it has only 2 chase scenes and they are completely realistic

i've seen it. the car upshifts about ten times

almost always no, but sometimes yes

Depends on the game

No but it's cooler

how much did it sell for?