/indie/ - Indie and Obscure Games General

Last thread : >What the fuck is this
/indie/ is the general for all indie games, such as LISA, Yume Nikki, OFF, Middens, Underrail, OneShot, Age of Decadence, Machinarium, DashBored, Vampire of the Sands, Braid, Limbo, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, The Desolate Hope, Burrito Galaxy, Gone Home, Stardew Valley, etc. as well as other games that just don't fit in any other general such as Atelier, Rayman, Pillars Of Eternity, Rise Of Nations, and Valkyria Chronicles. Absorbed the /lite/ general some time ago.

Mobile or consoles, flash or unity, freeware or early access. This place is a home for the indie game community and indie and obscure games that don't have a home. So be free to talk and share all your hidden gems, forgotten games and starving devs here.

>Can I talk about games that already have a general?
We mostly discuss games that are not popular enough for their own threads (since they have no other home in Veeky Forums), however, all indie games are allowed. So talk about them if you want, but don't overdo it since you already have other generals for that.

>How can I contribute?
All we need right now is people to talk about their loved indie and miscellaneous games, so don't be afraid to post, bump and reply your fellow anons. Also we're looking for anons to make new pastebins/wikis/images and update the ones already made. And please give lots of feel, love, kind and nice to everyone, except namefags. And be sure to make a new thread if nobody else does.

>Recommendations
pastebin.com/ZbG0JPSn

>Booru
indiegame.booru.org

>Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/indiegamesgeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mU7jOgZFTjM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>he added Age of Decadence
Good boy.

loking forward to Ape Out

So did DD actually announce anything good or are people just wanking about them doing something silly?

The latter

>the winners of E3 had nogames
Why am I not surprised?

Technically they showed games during the first ever second pre pre show, but I don't think any of them were completely new announcements.

Intel is saving indie games

Summer sale needs to hurry up.

>buying games

>not supporting the gaming industry

waiting for sale for
Deep Shrine of Earth
Snakebird
Cosmic Express
Zombie Army Trilogy
Hollow Knight
Caves of Qud
Mystic Towers

>supporting the industry
>buying games on sale
>on steam

I clearly said I was doing it to support DD for being madmen when it should be and others aren't giving them the recognition they deserve, not just to spite clickbait sites. Also wanting to give money to games I like is why I asked which games were good.

Don't call me sweetie, but thank god.

[Lovecraft intensifies]

I hope Hollow Knight gets hit hard by the sale.

I doubt it. It just came out a month or two ago, right? I'd say $5 gets knocked off at most.

I am still legitimately in disbelief about what had transpired. I'm also in disbelief that I watched it for ten straight hours without breaks.

But WHAT happened?

11 hours of pure, unrelenting shitposting, an episode of Ninja Slayer, appearances from several videos in the "important videos" playlist, wrestling, an MTS3K segment involving Wolfcop, and some games from time to time.

What?

>side with Varro
>everything goes 100% perfectly
>become his right-hand man in the Inquisition
>everything is perfect
>so perfect that you are bored out of your fucking mind
>nothing left to do but wait for old age and quiet, happy retirement

>side with Darista
>bitch doesn't even appreciate that I blew up a fucking temple so hard the mushroom cloud was visible from Maadoran
>Hamza has to intervene so I can even keep my fucking job
>spend rest of life as a low-ranking nobody in Gaelius' ass-kissing squad

Fuck you Darista, you are the worst guildmaster ever.

This blows. Suddenly becoming the favorite slave of a god doesn't even sound like a bad alternative anymore.

Only the press conference and the first 30 minutes of the couch was on behalf of Devolver, the rest was Twitch's crew.

Has anybody checked out Indie Game Battle? It's got some characters I like, but the game itself looks really shoddy.

youtube.com/watch?v=mU7jOgZFTjM

Indie fighting game from E3.

>tfw paid more than base price Hollow Knight for the indie box.

>twinstick coop shooter serious sam is nothing
The rest also looked good but yeah the conference itself was good.

Card City Nights 2 release date is in september.

Is indie box worth? What came in the Hollow Knight box?

It doesn't get shipped till the end of June.

Holy shit

Guess I can't screenshot in fullscreen.

Enclave.

An old game. I like the girl's ass.

/v/ is hell right now.
>Have 141 threads hidden because there's just that much flooding related to E3
>Usually have 20 or 30

>spend rest of life as a low-ranking nobody in Gaelius' ass-kissing squad
Should have just become his praetor and serve him directly as nobility instead of being some literally who.

You don't even need to betray boatmen to do that, if you asked to serve him he would arrange everything with Darista.

That said, guild ending depend on your reputation with the guild. The higher your reputation the better you end up, so if you ended up as a low-ranking nobody you just weren't working hard enough.

Oh, so it's a bit like Mount and Blade, you get different endings depending from your situation?

The game simply checks your repuation and gives you a different ending depending on how high it is. I had 18 House Aurelian repuation at the end of the game and got the consul ending, as far as I know low repuation would make you end up as some low-raking official in an unimportant remote shithole.

Of course it's also important who you sided with, who you betrayed and such, but generally reputation improves your situation.

I remember Warband being really stingy with the good endings.
I remember havng a good situation, having my king liking me, the other lords trusting me, having a few business, and yet I still died a beggar.

Battle Brothers has too fucking little content. There's fun to be had but then you realize that it's grindy as fuck with so much artificial difficulty specifically because it's trying to stretch barely any content over the longest time possible.

I didn't even know MnB had endings, I played like 90 hours, during most of which I tried to conquer all the factions as my factions marshall then try to become king of it, but I got a new PC when there were like 2 or 3 others left.

Yeah, they're pretty much hidden.
I like it that way, it gives a satisfying way to end your character without deleting a save.

>waiting for the cyberpunk resurgence so that i can finally get a comfy open world sandbox game with a nice art style that i can retreat to
Where did it all go so wrong that I'd rather live in a corporatist dystopia than live in the current year?

just finished Illusion of Gaia after not playing it a decade.

It was a weird and beautiful trip. Held up really good. Probably in the top 10 SNES games I've played

It was so fucking weird.

vi-videogames?

>people still think Andy Kaufman isn't around trolling us behind the curtains

Videogames

>twinstick coop shooter serious sam is nothing
Yeah, I'm not really hyped for it

First, all Serious Sam games that weren't made by Croteam were meh at best
Second, it's developed by people who made Hammerwatch, which was kinda meh on it's own

Is there a list of recommended / quality of life mods for Stardew Valley?
I haven't played since launch and only vanilla, so I would like to try again. with mods.

>Isaac daily
>Already halfway through the day, so most people are done
>442nd score, not too bad considering at least 2000 players usually
>Motherfucking 49th on time
Psychic brimstone, cunts. Never ignore devil deals if they're open.

What's wrong with steam?

Well, nothing, just buying game on sale and through Steam will get devs only a relatively small cut of the expected full price
But I think it's not really worth arguing whenever it's bad

Almost a monopole.

I think his point is:
You insinuate that buying games on sale, on steam is supporting the game industry.
But steam takes a large cut of the price. Buying on sale means you're not willing to spend proportionate amount of money for the work put into the games.
So really, all you're doing is saving money for yourself. If you really did care about supporting the game industry, you would buy the games you want for RRP, from any platform (rather than ONLY steam).

To be fair, devs still get their cut and it's not like they didn't want to sell the game for less in the first place
It's a silly argument because you can also add
>buying games at regional RRP instead of the most expensive one
>not buying collector's edition
>not just donating money to the devs
etc.

That's why it's a case by case basis.
In general terms, waiting for a sale on a specific delivery platform while virtue signalling about supporting devs is just hypocritical.

Getting your games from steam sales gives the least possible support to the industry.

>it's not like they didn't want to sell the game for less in the first place
You're an idiot. They don't want that, but ultimately the unit price doesn't matter. What matters to the (indie) developer is a steady stream of income, and discount prices are required to rekindle interest once your game isn't selling enough at full price.

I want to believe freeware supported by direct donations is the best and most ethical business model for long-term game development, but so far very few (Toady with DF for example) have pulled it off successfully.

Wow, rude

I'm sorry, but no one puts a gun to the developer's head when they put the game on sale. Just as you've said, it's a marketing move to sell more copies, albeit devs have to pay for it by selling the game at lower price. If they didn't want to do that, they wouldn't put it on sale. It's their initiative. Fuck off.

>Getting your games from steam sales gives the least possible support to the industry.
Counterpoint: The industry is thriving as fuck with Steam flooded with a metric shitton of terrible games reminiscent of the early 80s and with a few minor exceptions almost every single AAA developer deserves to get fucked in the ass out of every nickel for shitty business practices and games that put graphics before gameplay despite having budgets smaller than the GDP of some small countries.

Or to put it another way, who's hype for 4K Minecraft?

>flooded with a metric shitton of terrible games
This is not a good thing.

I suppose user meant that it's a bad thing and industry thrives despite pushing out a lot of garbage by both small and large teams

>This is not a good thing.
Exactly, so buy shit on sale or pirate. We need to purge this shit with fire. The good indies will always find their audience and survive and you might kill a few bad ones.

In fact, let me just say, the time has come for another 1983.

Which one DID you get anyway?

Devs never want to sell games for less if they can get the same amount of sales for more. It just makes them less money, which pays their wages for less time, meaning they have less to invest to making future games.

>buying games at regional RRP instead of the most expensive one
>not buying collector's edition
>not just donating money to the devs
What is silly about those arguments? Buying games for more or donating directly OBJECTIVELY supports the industry, via greater profit, more than buying them for less. Buying games from other outlets than Steam is arguably the same, depending on how much you believe Steam actually contributes to the industry. The only way to support as much at low price as you can at high price is to buy multiple copies and give them to people that never would have bought the game in the first place (or just keep them).

>The good indies will always find their audience

How? Who? You just said, "don't buy games."

Put the new dashbored update there

It's silly to put up an imaginary line that splits people into "not supporting the industry" and "supporting the industry" based on some arbitrary criteria

>Buying games for more or donating directly OBJECTIVELY supports the industry,
Pic related is the industry
>How? Who?
By being good and getting good word of mouth, people that appreciate quality/dipshit bandwagonners.

Last Night looks comfy af

Sales are starting to do more damage than they fix. People just price shit higher in anticipation for steam sales, and take longer to do permanent price reductions. Furthermore, salesfags will buy a big pile of shit games at a big discount and never throw another penny at the developer if they get an actually good one. This directly emphasizes quantity over quality mindset, and is arguably directly responsible for the enormous amounts of shovelware garbage being dumped onto steam.

Pirating 10 games and then buying the good one for $50 is much, much more beneficial to the industry than buying those same 10 games for $5 each.

Move that to the 2018 list bub

Give a source of a single dev that agrees with this. Its not like they're actually losing money, like a store selling overstocked products at or less than what they cost

It's been out for a week or so dude

I think devs should start putting up obligatory demos again, it was a norm 15-20 years ago.

To a degree I avoid buying games at full price unless I'm really sold on them, and yes I used to* grab a lot of shit on sale and often even forget about it, because out of a bunch of shit I get on sale I usually would never buy otherwise if I knew that the game is mediocre. I know Steam allows hassle-free refunds now but I just can't get used to it.

*I actually kinda stopped buying games on sale a year ago or so, because I just ended up with a lot of games I don't want to play, and buying games at full price makes me think twice before buying them

But seriously, people should start putting up demos, no demos is counter-consumer behavior, but demos are considered harmful for sales so that'll probably never happen.

I just realized there is a game that could actually implement all of these in a meaningful way with its current content: Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead

>Give a source of a single dev that agrees with this
?
Why does it matter if a single dev agrees or not? What would that prove?

>MONOPOLIES BAD!!!!
When will this meme end? They provide the best service for the lowest price. That's why they have a monopoly. When something better comes along, Steam either shapes up or gets replaced. The breakup of Standard Oil was bullshit too. Businesses don't get that big and successful for no reason; Rockefeller revolutionized the industry. He wasn't "stifling competition", he was just out-competing everyone else.

Oh shit, that list reminded me of Earth Lords for some reason

Volgarr the Viking worth getting from Humble Bundle?

pls respond

that is literally what I'm doing for my sibling, but I'm not quite done yet.

What do you mean by this?

I've heard it's pretty good for what it is and picked it up myself but I don't have personal experience yet

Undertale on PS4 and Vita

No fucking way.

Was that supposed to be hard?

I'll buy it again

You know what's hard?
Your dick

In this version can I bed Toriel?

I wonder if it would even be possible to put OneShot on anything but a PC.

How much would you have to redesign the game to do so?

I DID offer my services to Gaelius, but he waved me off saying that his ex-fuckbuddy needs me more. Must be another reputation check then.

I guess Gaelius didn't take the mining outpost incident too well
And okay, I suppose it's not impossible that the Boatmen never completely got over me killing their assassin in the first fight.

But I gave Gaelius a fucking airship, that surely counts for something? And my performance as a Boatman was nothing short of exemplary. Everything recovered, everyone saved, and my loyalty never wavered. Maybe I made some mistakes early on, but then who doesn't? How about we let bygones be bygones, eh?

I mean, Varro's ending is not that bad, but I hated having to kill Hamza. Poor guy wasn't even prepared for a fight, he wasn't a force of destruction in that fight like he was during the Imperial Guard questline.

Never mind. I have unleashed my revenge on them.

I may have become a slave, but I am a slave to a god. The rest of the world? They were not so fortunate.

Boatmen are an interesting and thematically consistent take on an openly tolerated assassin guild in that they're basically just disposable pawns for the local lords. In Teron you're just taking care of problems for the Commercium, and then the guild gets burned down when they fuck with someone who intends to replace the local power. In Maadoran you're Gaelius' personal bitch force or can betray them for another usurper. When the guild doesn't want to play ball they end up like they did in Ganezzar.

While it is interesting and different, however, it is pretty fucking unsatisfying to actually be a boatman as a result.

The one thing that bugs me about this game is that you don't seem to get enough appreciation for what a relentless fucking killing machine you can build your character to be. You can basically be the setting's Lu Bu and nobody seems to give a shit.

>ignoring devil deals
Who in their mind would? They're about the only things with consistent good shit even with the awful deals and red chests it'll throw at you.

Muh angel rooms though

Hotline Miami is on PS4, somehow gamemaker can be ported there

Make sure you get the collectors edition