How do you feel about cruise control, Veeky Forums?

How do you feel about cruise control, Veeky Forums?

Good for highways and long roads where I have no reason to change my speed.

Good for city driving where you don't want to have fun.

never use it doesnt feel right to me

I prefer to use limiter when cruising, CC just feels wrong.

Common standard feature on economy cars by the mid 1990's. If your local commutes involve mainly highway its great.

Radar cruise control is next level, some cars do it better than others.

I love it. I use it on the interstate as long as it isn't too busy and on any other road where you aren't stopping a lot and the speed limit is above 40.

Love it. Mine tells me the exact speed you set it to, so you can bump it up and down by 1 MPH once it's set. Really handy for "speeding" 9 over the limit when a cop is rolling with traffic.

Mine is vacuum operated and something under the dash is letting go of the vacuum and god damn it volvo just make it electronic or don't include it holy shit

Aren't you NOT supposed to use it on highways or busy roads in general?

I only use it if the situation allows for it. Peak traffic on the highway clearly isn't the place. Normal highway traffic works more than fine, hardly ever have to take it off cruise.

Nah. I spend most of my time on the motorway and using cruise control feels like more control of the car is lost than I am comfortable with.
Especially if you're overtaking a lot and need to slow down or speed up depending what's around.

... why would you not use cruise control on extremely long, high speed roads?

Really love it for longer drives. One of the things I miss the most on my Toyota

I wish I had it. Having to hold your foot in place for two hours to go 130 is annoying.

None of my 3 cars have it, that said

I just drove from Seattle to the east coast in my girlfriends car, left Sunday at two and got in 830 last night. Stopped for 22 hours in Wisconsin at her parents house.

Cruise control helped.

My manual has it. It's a useful feature. Sure it's good on highways but if the highway has traffic I don't use it. Long empty straight stretches of road is the optimal scenario.

Have it, never used it.

My truck doesn't even have it, but even when I used to drive mom's Taurus, I couldn't stand it. Mom tried to make me use it a few times because she thought it would be so much easier, but I don't like compromising control of my speed.

I use it for long haul trips, usually set it between 70-80 mph based on traffic flow and pass people going slower. Helps if I start to zone out so I don't accidentally speed up or slow down too much.

>incredibly busy road where cars are constantly stopping, slowing down, speeding up, and merging at the blink of eye
Ah yes, that's the perfect place to let my car drive itself

I've rebuilt engines and a million other things and I still don't know how cruise control works. Never touched it on my car

The car isn't driving itself at all though, simply maintaining speed and giving your foot a rest and you get full control again the second you touch your accelerator, brake, or clutch. If you're attentive and not changing lanes there's no reason not to chill at a set speed until it requires more input from you.

A god given gift on long uneventful journeys.

Love it, I use that shit every single chance I get

IT'S COOL

The best thing for crossing states

What kind of a highway is that lmao
Either you live in Africa or you're high af

>but I don't like compromising control of my speed.

Cruise control doesn't do this you autist. You always have control with the pedals.

Literally never used it. I'll try on the next longer highway drive I'm on and report back to my pers/o/nal blog

Threads like this make me wish/o/ had forced tripcodes because they quickly reveal who all the /nocars/ are. Sad!

Would cause my car's radio to skip sometimes for some reason when active. Don't know why.
Handy for 13 hour drives to tennessee tho

You know the highway is for more than just rush hour right?

>tfw adaptive cruise control

>tfw poor cyclistfag
pls no bully

My manual has it, real nice for highway drives, helps fuel economy too. Mine is vacuum/electronic operated, and doesn't work in the cold. Goddamn Chrysler

It's a god send, kinda spoopy on cars with cable driven throttle bodies where the pedal moves

I'm amazed that the cruise control in my 1990 f250 works perfectly

And yea it's weird feeling when the pedal gets pulled away from your foot when you engage it

Has anyone ever ridden with a roastie of some sorts who uses cruise control whenever they can? I once had to ride with this gril who tried to use cruise control on every stretch of road that had intersections longer than like 2 minutes between them.

I have it, only used to to see if it worked. i get really a really anxious and unsettling feel like im not in control enough of the car when its on. I'll leave my foot on the gas

It's literally just a motor on the throttle body that keeps it open just enough for the car to maintain/gain/lose speed according to the inputs you give it from the steering wheel. On most cars the motor is already there and it's used to keep idle speed.
On diesels and other throttle body-less engines it's an electronic setting that regulates fuel injection and ignition.

On older cars with cable-operated throttle bodies (or cable-operated diesel pumps on ancient diesels), there is an additional cable coming from a vacuum valve or a motor that takes over the pedal cable when you ask for cruise control.

Really, it's nothing complicated, it always comes down to a contraption that bypasses the pedal input mechanically or electronically.

Pic related is an example of the double cable layout.

>turn on cruise control
>go to sleep
>car crashes
wtf i thought the car would be controlled

>Turns on any driver-aid
>Crashes when the driver doesnt pay attention
>Wtf my car didn't drive itself

The smarter cars get the more stopped people become.

Case in point is Tesla's autopilot.

Stupid. Damn phone proving my point here with autocorrect