>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Our pastebin (Don't bother reading this right now, it needs an overhaul)
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Dom4 Inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Noob questions answered that you didn't think to ask
web.archive.org/web/20150430021604/http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/core-mp-concepts-that-i-wish-somebody-had-told-me-about/

>Pretender designer
bsielski.github.io/pretenders/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Debugger guide and download
forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453&highlight=debug

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing
Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=TheLittleTriton
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=DeadAtTurn50
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you ever play dominions... on weed?

is llama ded? I'm not getting my turn

I don't know how to use magic.
I just end up dumping all my gems into summons.

Lose more, get desperate, read the spells available to you, repeat for every relevant combo of research and paths. That's the easiest way to learn magic.

ofc
I got scared shitless of Royal Mallqui while on weed

yeah, but there are basically just a handful of spells that are real game winners, the rest are auxillary at best, they may tip the hand in your favor, but they won't win the game for you.

Please, list that handful "game-winning" spells so I could laugh at you.

>there are basically just a handful of spells that are real game winners

darkness
wind of death
burden of time
earthquake
rain of stones
army of gold/lead
megasummons

there are quite a few gamebreakers, all in all, but most of the rest rely on combined arms tactics.

The fact that you list BoT as a "game-winning" spell is enough, thank you.

that list is by no means exhaustive, but there are, what, say 10-20 spells that will melt your doomstack, out of 800 or so

Only scrubs use doomstacks to begin with.

I mean, c'mon, are you really going to make a game winning strategy around astral healing or fire bolt?

I don't see whats so controversial about this opinion, its more like a statement of fact.

I agree, but that doesn't stop ermor from stacking 2000 long dead on a single tile.

Nothing controversial. Just the laughable part where you consider some spells "game-winning". Nobody would dispute that some spells are more useful than others, but to say there's only a handful useful ones is a blatant lie or shitposting.

Also, before talking about game balance, please provide us with your record of MP victories. If it's less than 10, then you should probably play the game more.

Jeesus, do you even read my posts, or do you skim them, punch yourself in the dick and type the first thing that comes to mind?

The latter, but instead of punching I stroke it repeatedly while laughing maniacally.

I'm saying there is a lot chaff in the spell list. Not saying it can't be useful, but its not going to win you the game, not by a longshot.

How retarded can you really be? Nothing will win you a game in a single turn besides dropping 999 golems with gate cleavers on every province in the world, but it doesn't mean that some corpse constructs or vine ogres or even regular shitty ogres won't save your ass when it will matter.

whatever.

I think the spell list is intimidating. It would be better to give new players a wrap sheet with some of the more useful spells than haze them with meme stategies and the equivalent of a hundred page grimoire.

There are newbie guides that do just that. Pretty sure there are some on Steam right now.

>tfw you're about to slaughter a nigga by dropping on 15 provinces at once, and you still have 24h to wait for hosting

thanks for the warning I just whipped up my sick defense get ready to die

Joke's on you, it was a bluff! Now while you're on the defensive I'm going to eat your neighbor with impunity!

I never liked them anyways

looks like Fomoria just invaded me for no reason, agartha can we talk on steam

I'm not Agartha, but I see your problem. I'll contact you soon if you don't die.

TheWheel is dying, no other RP games running. I should host a new one.

awesome. i have a number of death gems for those who will help

Yes please. I want to be an autist running a kingdom of questing knights or superstitious bogatyrs.

GN /domg/

How do you RP an undead nation without immediately attacking every neighbor as soon as you encounter them?

o-ya-su-miiii~~~~~

be apathetic

Pretend you're HK-47.

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=TheLittleTriton

My, my... You didn't join this game yet?

Look at you, what a pityful player pretending you play well but being unable to endure a single uw game.

I bet that's why you didn't even win a game yet, am I wrong?

but i dun want my underwaterbutthole to be damaged

A player like this... Really makes me want to join his game and ruin it!

Is this trying to sound as a threat? You little boy better behave as a good boy if you want a headpat.

Waifuposter, this is getting a bit off topic. After all, vampires have UWdamage 100.

explain to me what's the deal with underwater games

how do they do
how goes they go
who is who's traditional prey underwater

Let's say I was gonna host an RP game. What age would you want? I don't think we've ever had an MA RP game, but it seems like we've got quite a few MA games running.

For RP, I think the tone should be set by the age. EA is a time when there's great magic in the world, hope for the future, great discoveries being made. Ermor is a great empire.

MA is defined mostly by the fall of Ermor and all the fuck-shit it causes, though. This could be an interesting storyline, what with all the splinter empires vying for power.

LA strikes a more grimdark tone. Everything is dying, the world is breaking, magic is fading. Agartha is a land of corpses. Atlantis is a land of mourning. R'lyeh rules the sea and Lemuria terrorizes the land. Even Ulm has fallen.

What say you, /domg/?

Why did I deserve this?
Should've banned the clowns.

Would it be possible create a modnation based around staling? The more you stale the more powerful it's units and mages get. Submiting your turn causes the bonuses to reset.

Maybe a nation of snails with temporal magic?

Kind of like Chebriados followers in Crawl.

-t Saoluthi

So many namefags I can't keep up with all of them. Who is this?

That's the name of the unit that glitched out Llamaserver during SkeletonWars so no one's turns sent correctly and stalled the whole thing for around 3-4 turns.

Can anyone give advice on how to fight UW fort battles? What kinda of magic helps on attack, what kind of magic helps on defence, do forts get any sort of defensive boost like land forts shoot arrows?

I love that guy. We should have made him a meme in the football thing going on.

LA Atlantis is hope resurgent. The Atlanteans that had traveled the furthest in their diaspora, gathering on a frozen shore, return to their ancestral home, where the forgiving fathers and ancient reserves of their earliest age awaken to free the seas from R'lyeh's mad clutches.

I do attack them =)

What kind of question is that even?

>LA strikes a more grimdark tone.
That's just a meme though.

Pythium - holy empire devolved into cults and decadence
Lemuria - duh
Marignon - holy empire sold its soul to the devils
Man - The Curse (and free college to help keep it contained)
Ulm - The Malediction (and illuminati run everything secretly now)
Arco - The great leader died and now the mysterious oracles that lead the nation have death magic. (not super grimdark, but a bit darker)
Mictlan - We had law & no blood magic, but we back at it again!
TC - Barbarians conquered us
Jomon - Not actually grimdark
Agartha - We necromancy now
Abysia - Fallen fire people now just a big ol blood cult
Caelum - The Aryan pure doves lost and now we iron and death magic
C'tis - We were already about that death, but now we're REALLY about that death
Pangaea - Not really grimdark, but less flowerpower
Midgard - Not really grimdark
Utgard - Sorceresses and apocalypse seeking blood mages. They were grimdark in EA/MA too, though
Bogarus - Creepy blood cult, but otherwise not really grimdark
Patala - The snakes from the underworld took over, but otherwise not that grimdark
Gath - Hungry giants sacrifice humans now.
Ragha - Has blood stuff and kings interfighting, but not really grimdark?
Atlantis - Truly heroic. Brings a tear to me eye
R'lyeh - Full grimderp madness
Xibalba - Bats are back and blood hungry, but they work for the Atlanteans now, including the sole remaining Basalt King who wants to subjugate the surface instead of deal with the shit underwater

In summary, slightly more grimdark, but most nations in all eras aren't exactly goodie two shoes anyways.

LA has way more blood and death than other ages.

Lonely boar looking for friends
pls join

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=DeadAtTurn50

If you guys want to change settings, add or remove mods, just yell

This the meme game with the meme rules?

>summod
Yes.

>llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=DeadAtTurn50
Go to the game and look at admin options for game rules, this applies to any game.

Everything seems to be very normal, but I know the admin intends to crown a winner at turn 50.

Every age has edgy as fuck shit going on. You can't say it's just LA. In LA magic is weaker though with the exception of blood and the nations have adapted to this.

How's this for MA Ulm?

Shit. What was your plan?

Astral mainly for boosters and cool globals and death so I can actually summon some decent thugs so my super cheat crafting can pay off more.

So it won't work? In that case can you give me some feedback beyond "Shit"?

The chassis is a SC/heavy thug one not a forger/site searcher/caster you said you were looking for. If you look for a forger/site searcher/summoner as you said why pay for the stats of a SC?

Sending your global caster into combat is a stupid idea too. You can pay less for a smaller mage doing the same and even more.

If you want global caster immortal is great, consider that.

You don't natively have SD on mages in reliable numbers so you need him to site search.

A3 doesn't give you access to airt boosters and can't cast big A spells without a boost from power of the spheres. A4 is minimum for air forging.

S6 can't forge rings unless with a coin and a cap. This pretender can't forge a coin so you will be waiting for a S random on your mages. This could or could not happen.

You could be a mobster lich and demand tribute from them in exchange for non-anihilation and protection from the other nations you are actually anihilating.

Not the person who replied to you, but isn't P3 pretty much mandatory for MA Ulm? What are you going to do with that O3G3 gold

The only reason I went for an SC chassi is because I've never seen anyone win with anything but an SC chassi or an immobile pretender, but I guess lack of understanding is a bad reason to pick one.

Could this be viable?

You get resource bonus from research mages so by midgame it makes no much difference.

It does make a quite sizeable difference in early game though and a strong early game is the best midgame.

I can easily change it over to O1P3, but G3 is nice.

Looks decent to me. It'll get you very good diversity later, and I think the titan chassis is worth the scale or so it costs compared to a human.

In a small game you'd probably be better off with an awake expander to try get a decisive advantage by midgame.

Take drain 3 (it's free points, what are you doing) and drop a point out of something else (order?) to get prod 3. Consider one less death magic in return for air magic. A4 and air boosters will be very handy midgame, whereas you'll probably have rings by the time you need more than D6.

>If you look for a forger/site searcher/summoner as you said why pay for the stats of a SC?
Human mages are less than 40 points cheaper.

>S6 can't forge rings unless with a coin and a cap.
What are you talking about? Ring of Sorcery needs S7, you can boost from there to S8.

Even if you were right about needing S8, he can give a skullcap to an ulmish smith and have them forge his god a coin.

Good advice.

Has anyone summoned the Tarrasque yet?

Just checking before I pull the trigger.

Could be. Been a while since I've played Ulm, but you can do interesting things with that. I normally go for that big fat Monolith for Ulm. You have to do your own testing of the point cost of what you need. Dominion and magic levels above 1 end up saving you quite a lot if you're not looking for a mage pretender who can cover the site searching and magic boosting that your nation doesn't provide.

That said, Ulm tends not to be able to diversify without a good mage pretender.

New player here. How good is for EA Ermor an awake Titan of the Sea Chassis with 9W Bless, D4, O1, P1, G1?

Also, what should I be looking for in a pretender for EA Ermor? I know it depends on my strategy, so if you don't mind giving some examples, I'll pareciate that. For information sake, I'm quite agressive in strategy games.

Last game I went with a 4E4F Magic Statue of War with 5D2O2P1G1M Scales. I mainly used it to research and to forge items for my generals, which I finally stopped doing because it was a bit useless; centurions and legatus are not tough guys, and I mostly make them stay behind the troops. Now I'm making him do summons, basically trolls and troll king's court, while my elder augurs summon bane lords and wights (which I equip with the items I gave to the human generals).

>pareciate
>appreciate

fixed

I like E6N2 awake bull (great scales all around, helps you get resources from your capring fast) and N9E2 imprisoned statue (bless for lossless expansion with equites and golems, may want to add S2 to make sure you have E/S crosspath). Water bless makes equites p scary, but it's expensive and a W9 mage isn't nowhere as useful as N9 one.

Dominion shoul be at least 5, 7 if you want to expand with equites. Consider building a temple ASAP to get indue priests for expansion parties (add a lab later on for flamens).

Scales to prioritize: magic, heat, growth, prod. Order and luck are helpful too, but neither is necessary.

Can expand on that if you want me to when I'm back home.

>being lanka
>no reason

This desu. Fomoria's doing Panko's work.

Thanks! Very much appreciated! I'll try many new things with that in mind. If you can expand in any way, please do. I'll read it for sure!

Here, have a Triumph for your efforts!

t. Abysia

I have an idea for some rp in ea.

>tfw fuckers wont send in pretenders

Shouldn't you be studying for your exams?

I did my exams weeks ago. Got the results and everything.

do MA or EA

Bump

Can we do the next Archea game as a disciple game? We basically had giant factions fighting each other in the last one, might as well make it official this time. Also are we even going to have another anytime soon? I feel like the end to 4th left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouth.

Do turns reeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Well Therodos thinks they're still alive.

>this staling record

rip game

Okay then. As usual with pretenders, you need to know what the nation you're going to play needs. Ermor appreciates:

1) good expansion. Fact: if you want to win the game, you usually need to get big fast. Having more provinces means more income (meaning: more mages, more troops, magic) and more gems (meaning: more mages, more troops, more magic). You can do that either by very good expansion or by conquering your neighbour early on. Since Ermor isn't very strong early game (your troops are nothing special in the age of e*ves, giants and all kinds of bullshit sacreds) and your nerds need to get some research done to be dangerous on the battlefield (both Stellar Cascades and Fire Elementals - your best ways of killing things in early midgame - require lvl5 research and you can expect to have it in early year two at best), solid expansion is your best bet.

Principes are actually solid expanders (tower shields make them immune to all kinds of missile troops in EA, their shortswords work fairly well against lightly armored indies of EA and they can throw javelins, allowing you to rout some indies before even engaging them in melee). However, their resource cost is pretty high, especially for EA. You're not very likely to be get an expansion party of Principes per turn, even with Prod scales and lucky capring (it's probably doable with Prod3 if you start with forests and mountains around your cap, but this, on the other hand, may slow down your movement and thus - your expansion). Your potential opponents, on the other hand, include Vanheim, Helheim, Panheim and other nations able to expand with like 5 troops. That's bad. But you can make your expansion better and there are 2 ways of doing so: taking an awake expander or a bless.

(pics are unrelated, I'm just posting random builds I found in my newlords folder)
(cont.)

Awake expanders are cool. They allow you to capture your capring (these are the most important provinces to take) fast, giving you more resources to buy troops and take more land. They can also surprise an unprepared army with some easy buffs later on. They can also open up some new magic paths or give you deeper access to the ones you already have. You might want to cast globals with your awake expanders, since their HP is super high and they're very unlikely to get killed by a random spell thrown at a fort they're chilling in.

Monsters are prime expanders. Examples include: bulls, boars, sneks, dragons and the like. Ermor has access to both white and black bull, an erf snek, a spooky dog and a drakon. All of these can work, but my personal favourite is the White Bull. He expands very well (is a size6 trampler with high prot and berserk, meaning he can easily murder skeletons, as opposed to an erf snek) vs pretty much anything other than barbarians or heavy cavalry and you don't need to take dom9 on him. Earth and Nature are great paths for buffing (rushing Enchantment allows you to grab Personal Regen for him) and are incredibly useful later on (globals). Ermor appreciates E2 or E3 for Earth Boots/Dwarven Hammer and N2 for Thistle Maces without the need of empowering random idiots to N2. Gemgens (Earth Blood Deep Well and Mother Oak) are also p useful, though I wouldn't count on getting them unless you're extremely lucky with your lvl1 sitesearching (or conquer an Agartha/Pan, I guess). He's also super cheap. I mean, really, you can run him with almost full scales, it's insane.

(cont.)

The other thing you can do to get better expansion is to take a bless. Equites aren't top tier sacreds, but they're definitely usable, with high defence score, good armor, lances and broadswords. With a good bless, they're solid expanders in groups of 6 (that's why dom7 is a minimum if you want to expand with Equites) + a priest (I suggest getting a temple to recruit priests ASAP to avoid wasting your capital's recruitment slot on Acolytes instead of mages). Vs players, they're unlikely to win 1v1 vs stuff like Helhirdings, but with Body Ethereal you can use them to kill a human nation with weak troops and no nature/earth magic (or a player who doesn't know that Tangle Vines and Earth Meld exist).

The blesstest pretender for EA Ermor is probably a N9(E4) Statue of Fertility (imprisoned). Gives you solid scales (don't need to max Prod if expanding with small parties of blessed cavalry). E4 part isn't necessary, but some reinvig is always useful. N9 is also an amazing bless for Golems, while Ermor is an Astral nation without good thugs/SCs (but with some great forging due to their amazing diversity and many crosspaths, as well as solid S pearls income). You lack the E/S crosspath, though (more on that later) and making your pretender able to construct Golems may or may not be worth 56 design points. As a side benefit, having N9 on your pretender means having an amazing mage for all useful N globals (Mother Oak, Gift of Health, Wild Hunt, Gift of Nature's Bounty, Enchanted Forests).

(cont.)

I'm the guy who asked. This is all pretty interesting. Please go on.

If you don't want to run N9, W9 is probably even better on Equites of the Sacred Shroud (more action points means more damage on their lance attack and stacking defence is very helpful in melee combat). However, you don't have a cheap chassis for a W9 bless and a W9 mage won't be as useful as a N9 one later on (though Vengeful Waters is still a pretty good defensive global if you have gems and Maelstrom is one of the stronger gemgens). The cheapest (and still okay) bless you can get is probably F9E4, but high F isn't a great path and if there's a nation that doesn't need more Fire, it's either EA Abysia or EA Ermor.

A fun thing to try might be a S9 bless. Equites already have high defence score and solid protection, which means damaging them isn't the easiest thing to do for a regular soldier without nerd support. It's obviosly not as good as N9 or W9 (though it's incredibly strong in lategame, allowing you to craft Rings of Wizardry/Sorcery and even cast Wish without boosters), but getting it on a Statue of Order also helps with another thing Ermor lacks, which is...

(cont.)

Which is?! Which is?!