/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General - FPS Edition

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/9vcn1Lvf
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Animal_trainer#Trainable_war.2Fhunting_animals
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

kobolds are cute

what the FUCK is the actual format for the embark tools?

it says
>embark-tools enable/disable tool [tool]...
but I have tried
>embark-tools enable/disable tool [embark-anywhere]...
>embark-tools enable tool [anywhere]
>embark-tools enable tool [anywhere...]
>embark-tools enable tool [embark-anywhere]
>embark-tools enable tool [Embark anywhere]
any every other combo I can think of, none of them work

elv!

It's broken if I remember right. You should still be able to set their status from the GUI at the embark screen by pressing 's' or whatever it is.

I eventually figured it out, it's just that the people who did the documentation are dumbshits

>wiki says embark-tools enable/disable tool [tool]...
>command in dfhack says embark-tools (enable/disable) tool (tool...)
>actual command is just embark tools enable tool

>one of my starting dwarves has a goblin name
that's odd.

Kill it.

R8 m world guys.

Red circle is my current fort, pink ones the locations I planned.

All are above-ground forts with different themes.

Current one has a babylon-theme.
Glacier one is going to be eskimo.
Channel one is going to be something with a huge port.
Bay one will have a venice-theme.
And the desert one by that oasis idk, probably some world-wonder pyramid stuff.

After all that I will go into adventurer mode and go full on crusade razing every single of those fortresses I created and raping the survivors.

Any other recommendations?

wat da fug

>embark directly on top of a goblin settlement
>there are a dozen undead elves fighting the locals
is this just the normal course of events at a goblin pit or what?

This a cool map? where should I settle?

What causes undead again?

Looks interesting geographically, like almost exactly the inverse of ones I've been generating: pastebin.com/9vcn1Lvf

How to scroll map (move camera) for one tile?

>all this interesting geography that could be used for strategic troop movements and large scale military tactics, but won't

Generally it involves a failure at dying properly.

More seriously, the biome could be reanimating, could be roaming horde from necromancers, could be due to a mummy reanimation, could be bugged like the zombie merchants I encounter in towns now and then.

That's a big river

military off to a roaring start

Nice, thats true, I do normally like big continents while still involving quite big oceans, so that land/water is about 50/50

Yeah, I thought about that too ;_;

I read in dfg a few days ago about a bug where necromancers could become bandits and generals and raid sites.
>the oily bodies

I'd strike it.

You like em thick, huh?

And curvy.

When your leader is a bloodthirsty demon more interested in subjugating the world than doing actual administrative work, you have to put up with some shit

I reroll the map like 70 times each to get a good river map on a small map. I'm too dumb to figure out the advance map gen and I like it like that.

I'm pretty sure you don't even need the advanced map gen. There's tools that can show you where the huge rivers are, or what the local topography kinda looks like so you can find those huge valleys/canyons.

what happens to the site when you embark on it?

doe visiting the fortress later crash the game or something?

I hope someone does Dwarf Fortress better.

Dwarf Fortress was paved by autism,hard work, and passion. Something most game devs don't have.

DOES TOADY HAVE A GF? HONEST QUESTION.

What do you mean? How should it be done better?

>tfw gobs build the megaprojects you could never muster the dorfpower to make
>tfw ssense is ugly and doesn't give a good view of large areas

the main spire goes all the way to the bottom of the map. there are dozens of watchtowers with guardposts everywhere.

NO

MORE

SPAGHETTICODE

the first and final thing I did on that map was attempt to dam it because the frames were so atrocious

is there a way to get rid of that ugly fog in ssense?

DF isn't even open source, is it? How can u tell m8.

This kind of thing
Its not that it isn't done good its just incomplete and because of how complicated the code is at this point its almost easier to just start from scratch than work on the game at this point.

How did you get a land with so little water? Literally every map I generate is 60% or more water.

try going into advanced worldgen and reducing the number of oceans/ocean tiles
if you wanted to, there's probably ways to ensure those tiles you've potentially freed up are taken by land, but doing the above and then just generating a few worlds until you get one you like is probably good enough. brute force always

One of the starting factions is at war with elves, is it easy enough for a relatively new player if they bring sieges on me or something?

In DF lore and mechanics, apprentice Necros go out to try and take over a sure as part of their "graduation" or something, at least what I saw discussed in a thread from 2013. Dunno if it still holds true now though

with every passing update this poor industry feels even more neglected

they're not as tough as goblins or undead, but they'll still mess you up if you don't prepare
I would say go for it. best bet is to go into your first few forts with the assumption they're only going to last a couple years each. don't try to do everything perfectly, experiment

Take over a site*. Sorry urists, posting from my engraving tablet in my workshop.

>AWAKEN MY DWARVES

>Its not that it isn't done good its just incomplete and because of how complicated the code is at this point its almost easier to just start from scratch than work on the game at this point.

That is the exact wrong attitude to have when working with legacy code.

Unless there is ALREADY a version or comparable product that is cleaner and newer, you are typically much better off going in to clean up the old one rather then burning it down.

Guy with the two were-giraffe infected dwarves here. I have them isolated and working on a setup so I can send them supplies. Would an airlock of locked doors be safe enough or should I go all out with a delivery chute or Bridges?

Also what weapon should I train these bad boys in? I'm thinking hammer. I want to add more giraffes but considering the first one killed about 5 dwarves and injured the two I don't like my success rates.

definitely the latter. werebeasts are building destroyers

then again, you could make it a one-time thing. I don't think they'll ever need food or water, so they just need some arms and armour and they'll be good to go

>armourer strange mood
>he likes copper and bucklers
emotional rollercoaster

>Forbid everything except your steel/Platinum
>Win everything forever

I don't understand what I'm doing but I think I changed something by mistake. I can't get seem to get stuff stored into coffers. Is there a storage method for stones?

that would only work if I'd never had copper bars in my fort. and since I don't have any other weapons grade metal, that was unfortunately never likely to happen

This is actually a good thing unless you are going for super valuable shields since currently the only things different materials affect on shields are weight and melting point (and on rare occasion their damage done if the dwarf bashes someone).

I'm just playing for high value artifacts 2bh
the real game here is that it was a fey mood, so I can make some real shit this fall when the caravan comes with the limonite I ordered

This, but you can forbid stuff in the stocks screen to make them use whatever bars you want. If he actually makes a shield then copper would be fine but you never know if he makes a breastplate or something. Unlikely if he likes Shields but you never know

If you're playing for high value then stuff it with 50 bars of Platinum, so you can have pictures of itself on itself

Coffers aren't used as storage for stockpiles, and stone doesn't get stored in containers anyway.

>never made a single piece of clothing, or cared about clothing in general
>mfw I realize every baby and fort-born child is completely naked

How's the stress levels?

If some slaves were living in a tomb, where would they be and can I rescue them?

They literally don't care.
They're children.

Is this a stonesense update? I thought I read something about the last update of stonesense being in 2011. Is it stable?

idk but I stay well the fuck clear of tombs and unless you have experience with adv mode I'd recommend you do the same

Any good tutorials on training animals for battle?

Mummies right? Don't seem like that big of a deal to me. I'm on an important mission anyway.

>he let himself be cursed

I didn't get any message about getting a curse. He rose up, animated a bunch of skeletons, and then I dismembered him a couple seconds later.

Make animal training zone.
Assign animal training labor.
Set war training for animals in animals screen.
Don't hit your trained animals with minecarts.

That's it. Animals gain no XP or skills. Bigger, more naturally gifted war-trainable animals are inevitably better fighters. Exotic animals need to be domesticated first. That takes a very long time, so go look at the dorf fort wiki.

Oh shit I just killed another one that sprinted right towards me. That was fast.

Any recommendation for a target animal? Dogs?

Hedgehogs. Good edged-weapon damage.

What is the best fortress guard animal in terms of style?

POST YOUR BARRACKS

Dogs are plentiful and cheap, available from the start, and easily convertible into food.

Unfortunately, hedgehogs are not war trainable (in vanilla), nor are they domesticated by default.

But, if you can get a breeding pairs, the following will make for efficient and effective war animals:
>Large cats (Tigers, Lions, etc.)
>Gorillas
>Bears
>Jabberers
>Cave Dragons

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Animal_trainer#Trainable_war.2Fhunting_animals

after fighting dozens of people i just noticed something

why can i not attack the groin

I want a lord to like me but he says the only problem he has is a neighboring nation skirmishing with his own. Who can I kill to make him happy?

>style
The only difference between each animal is the letter of the alphabet they're represented by. Whatever animal you like is the most stylish. We can't tell you what your taste is.

don't listen to the other user, the answer is giant anacondas

literally just a wooden armour stand outside

Z-1: Barracks
Z-2: Farms
Z-3: ???
Z-4: ???

Wut? Z-0 is for farms, with 3-Z walls fully around them; and accessible via sealable tunnels. That way delicious above-ground fruits can be grown for brewin'

>drinking elf piss

no really whats up with that

i can target their back teeth and their fucking third toe for shit sakes
why can i not target the weakest area on a creatures body

wait, the number of fish on your map is limited? bullshit

Guys help please, a demon lord is visiting my fort.

Will post pics when my 3rd world craptop starts working.

Armok grows tired of plump helmets

Probably a god impersonator who became leader of a human civ. If it doesn't have deadly dust or poisonous vapors you're fine. Probably.

The local pops are limited, but they replenish over time.

>style
War peacocks, obviously.

No you dont understand, he is just chilling in the tavern along with all of the dwarves as if he wasnt a gigantic horrifying monster.

Help, my forts are all rectangles

We answered you last thread. Stonesense has been bundled with dfhack for some years now

Dogs are cheap and multiply quickly. They're like wrestlers in that they're weak by themselves but they'll distract targets and bite their limbs giving your marksdwarves and hammer squad easy hits. They'll rip goblin pedos in half too. I always keep some in the dining hall to quickly end fights in there.

Giant death scorpions too

I know, i know

You are sitting on your stone chair pondering what to do with all these plump Helmet you have to deliver to the brewery tomorrow.
And you just don't want to leave you miasma filled room today after your pet badger died tragically from food poisoning..
Well i can offer you a solution to your problems, with our new postal service run by our tireless zombies and skeletons we can ship your goods and suicide letters all over the world. we will brave all weather conditions and any dangers to make your life just a little more tolerant.
choose between our fast paced skeleton delivery or slow and cheaper zombie delivery. Towertech guarantee that your message or package will arrive at time.
Or perhaps you want to join our restless legion of transporters and get our sweet life insurance policy and world famous skull cup?

>We don't ship to temples or any holy sites

I have the best plan.
I will breed thousands of keas, then release them near my enemies.
They won't be harmed, but they will never get anything done again.

How are they on vomit-covered drawbridges?

They barrel roll straight over

Is is possible to start a new civ or branch from an existing somehow? Maybe with dfhack?

Elves piss alcohol?!? There must be some way to capitalize on this!

Quick Urist, to the sex dungeon!

I do understand. That's what diplomats do. The human law giver is also their diplomat. Demons can impersonate human deities and take that position in the human civ. Then they come and chill in your tavern. It is a thing that happens, and right now it's happening to you. Serve him a drink.