Is this a ripoff or what?

Just called my local auto shop and they quoted me $4k just to wrap my car a comepletely different color. $4K!!
Explain to me why people say wrapping a car is a cheap alternative to a paint job? I could get a professional paint job for 4K and it would probably look better!

gotta shop around

4k for paint would look amazing

What kind of car is it? These shops will try to mark up the price for something by 1,000% if it's anything above a scrapheap toyota

Changing the color of any vehicle by any means or method costs lots of money. This is just the way it is. Deal with it.

Yeah but a wrap shouldn't be. It costs probably $2 to make 300 ft of that crap and they wanna charge me 4K for that?

Wraps can be expensive depending on the car and the material. Best to wrap it yourself if you can't find a good price. You just need the wrap, a heat gun, a razor, and something to press it smoothly along the car.

It's a 2003 mustang GT

Yeah they're overcharging you BIG time. I'd understand if it were a fucking amg mercedes SUV but nah they're just trying to screw you dude. Call some other places.

Thing is, they're probably not sad if they lose your business because they have tons of other people/businesses who either don't care about price or suck it up and pay anyway.

DIY it, but it'll probably look bad since you've never applied vinyl wrap before.

That's when you are talking about re-painting.

A wrap needs no primer.

Unless OP's Mustang is all dented up and they are quoting to fix the horrendous body damage at the same time.

That's called "fuck off" pricing OP.

They're telling you to pound sand.

>tfw you give someone the fuckoff pricing and they OK it

There's no dents whatsoever I just want to change it from green to a deep blue that's it

I got a red 2000, I'd take the green paint off yours if I could.

It cost me $1,000 get a friend of a friend to do mine.

It was $3,000 get this one done by some one at a shop. But was worth it. It's been on 8 years. Still looks good

Plastidip is good though

That's only worth it if you have an exotic. I estimated my 91 miata for a full purple wrap at a well known shop in my area for $1800

$2,000 is the usual price, but a reputable shop can charge whatever they want if their work is good and is backed with a lifetime warranty. Wrapping a car is labor intensive, so if you think you're just paying for the vinyl, you're wrong.

If you're contemplating the price on a wrap job, maybe you should give Maaco a call and see if they have any specials.

You realize a fuckload of labor goes into a wrap right? You have to remove the tail lights, headlights, trim, etc. Even $4k wraps look like shit so go ahead and cheap out and see what happens.

Why don't people just buy the right color in the first place?

>car dimensions and style
>type of material and brand
>condition of the car

maybe their doing a derailing job before the wrap? and of course it depends on what car you have.

>this car is exactly what I want low miles all the options I want and no accidents
>but it's _____. Color which isn't the color I want
>welp better say fuck it and go find a car that has my favorite color that's been in 2 accidents has barely any features and a fuckton of miles
But hey atleast I got it in the color I wanted.
Really makes you think.

Cost me 700 dollars for my vinyl and I did it myself, had enough extra I could of done the whole car but this is all I wanted

A fuckload of labor, but not a month's worth of it. That shit is done in two days, labor costs amounting to five hundred bucks.

>"According to Cost Helper, the cost for a single-coat synthetic enamel paint job ranges from $300 to $900, with an average of $566. A mid-level paint job with a higher-quality paint and additional prep work like removing rust and dents can range from $1,000 to $3,500 with an average of $1,316." when shopping at maaco
Just get a paint job from maaco

I bid jobs for a construction company and regularly add a PITA surcharge and add to the markup for repeat customers who are a bitch to deal with, they go for it every time.

Especially dealing with Indians building hotels, jack the markups ridiculously high then add a few dozen grand to the job as a "Patel Factor" (look up the name Patel if you don't already know) and they just sign the paper like it's nothing.

4k is a very good monthly salary. Wrapping a car does not take a month even if it's done by a single guy.

the 40 hours of labor between 2-3 people and the minimum cost of like 500 for the the material

fuck dude, 4k would get all my rust holes patched and a primo paint job

>tyres with a proper sidewall

That's one slick hatch bro nice

seems like you only look at stanced cars if thats not the norm for you

It isn't even the norm for factory cars anymore.

Continue.

Do it yourself for cheaper. Might not look as good tho