>FAQ and What to Play:
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

DCSS tournament 0.20 results: dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.20/overview.html

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

last thread Never give up, ok user?

I want to get into NetHack. I really liked SLASH'EM for the extra roles.
My question is just SLASH'EM is based on an older version of NetHack, how retarded would it be to swap between/play NetHack first and then SLASH'EM after I get good again.

Is transmuter the best start?

I think Nethack is a bit more conservative with changes to vanilla, so there probably aren't too many differences between it and the version most variants came from (3.4.3, I think?).

>I think Nethack is a bit more conservative with changes to vanilla
**compared to Angband, for instance

dead fucken general 2bh

how are everyone's runs going?

Just splatted to a faun who hit me for 22 damage with a +0 spear

Havent started one since i last won yesterday

I missed most of the tournament, then I realized that .20 was shit anyways and hyping up a tournament is just a dev tool to try to get more people on board with their shitty changes

Can we get back to talking about how the DCSS devs are pathetic cucks and literal trannies? I was enjoying that.

I'm as dead as the threads

>experimental DDA binary no longer works
>have to compile this bloated monstrosity on my toaster
Maybe it will be done by the weekend.

I'll have full employment to waste life at in a week so I can't prop up the general with excellent posts anymore. You're stuck with DCSS complainposts and notaroguelikeposts for eternity. But my own run is following the meta, I guess.

Just get an earlier one?

Very retarded. Any time you learn something in NetHack, you'll try to apply that to SLASH'EM, assuming that it's still a true and good mechanic, when sometimes that won't be the case. That means instead of just not knowing things you'll be suffering from false knowledge.

It would be better to just commit to a variant/vanilla from the beginning.

why'd the thread get so dead post-tourney

tourney drained everyone's enthusiasm and energy

they ran out of meth

ah yes, my favorite episode of my favorite show:
>Stone giant in Orc two-shots you with his large ruks

epic. really makes you consider the volatile nature of man.

foehn winds draining everyone's spirits

Nah, the oldest one available on the website has the same issue. From what google says for the error message, I'm guessing the guy making the builds updated his compiler recently and no longer supports whatever old libraries are on my computer.

>get bored of MerGl of Sky around Lair
>start a DrTm, gonna make it my first Chei run
>2 dart slugs right out of spawn
>very nearly die

wew lads

What's the go-to early skillings for TM? Should I run Transmutations, or focus unarmed

once you get ice form online you can pretty much train uc exclusively until it's fast enough to start training fighting and dodging too

The method I used for my DrTm wins is to skill Transmutations and/or a secondary school until the spell is castable (i.e. not yellow fail rate or worse) and then pump UC.

What i did in my run was
Transmution - spellcasting - ice - uc - dodging - then whatever i needed like invo for chei, more uc/dodging, etc.. This was OpTm btw

So I shouldn't bother with Spider Form, go straight for Ice Form?

rush spider form. The bonuses you get from having spider from far outweigh the bonuses you'd get from training straight UC thus far.

Rushing spider form:
>extra dex increases to-hit, dodging, and stealth
>tiny size increases dodging and stealth
>another intrinsic to-hit bonus
>higher UC base damage
>poison brand on top of it all
>

Focusing UC until the point in the game where you'd have spider if you rused spider:
>lower attack delay by 1 aut
>slightly better accuracy
>slightly better base damage

Spider form is awesome early on, use spider form against hard hitting shit like ogres and similar, ice against other popcorn shit and stuff that can poison you, especially fucking bees

spider form is great but don't use it against adders as it's vuln poison and you will get fucked

imo spider form becomes worthless after iceform is online. remember iceform gives hp, which is hugely nice

also keep in mind blade hands does a fuckload of damage. so you can just rush for that on a strong race if you want. it's a little more fragile than iceform though

My regular strat is ignore everything else and aim for bladehands

I'll use these more often, thanks

Been playing Slimy Lichmummy, its fun but man Im out of touch

>pretty good run
>a big ugly knife in each hand
>dark armor+boots with stealth implants
>bring down the dragon, get the dragon armor
>couple of spells learned from books
>go down the next level
>a couple of bad decisions later Im cornered by dark horrors or whatever their name is
>ok I could phase through one of them since phase teleports two tiles from your position
>phase
>die after getting telefragged by the horror in front o me

ok, either you cant phase through a monster or that particular fucker can eat you regardless

second time I killed the dragon I spent too much time on that next level trying to disable force fields with granades and got swarmed by angels

>And yet no dickery
>no updated mumofesto
>no nothing

God is dead

>rushing blade hands
Noob trap

rip
I haven't played TSL yet but I've seen a couple runs and everything I've heard of it sounds entertaining, good, and short

protip: be extremely liberal with your use of sticks to snakes

>wielding a +7 GSC of freezing pounding shit out
>oka keeps giving me shields despite having 0 skill
god damned retard shitter god

>LRD can blow up sealed doors

more secret tech the devs don't want you to know about

Good thing the devs in their infinite wisdom extended the Oka experience to Veh too. Who doesn't love getting random garbage you can't use?

you used to be able to blow them up with orb of destruction but they fixed that

>no roguelikes in wich you play as tiny mice in a fantasy world

I would love to see something in the vein of Redwall or Mouse Guard
Now I will have to learn how to program to do something about it fuck

you could just take any existing roguelike and reflavor it

>gigantic multi-tile enemies

STILL not clear why roguelikes can't handle this. Krakens in DCSS, for instance, are awesome.

Incursion

>Qud
>rerolling until I get a freshwater weep not too far from starting town
>spores always fuck me up and I catch fickle gill
shit's hard

>acquire armor twice because oka is useless
>2 shields
REEEEE

that would be a challenge indeed

I kinda figure having two sets of W clusters in the form of wolf paws approaching you would be scary as fuck

Got ambushed by about 40 guys on the way to Morivant at CL 14, in a level 24 wilderness square, at night. Killed them all and walked away $10k richer, 2 CL higher, and with 5 shiny new wands. Feels good man.

Now, a couple PCB questions:
1) What determines the chances of getting a bolt vs. a beam from the various "bolt or beam" damage spells?
2) I'm currently playing as a gray mage. It seems like they are very strong in the early game, due to gaining access to a wide variety of spells very quickly, but this is supposedly balanced by their 10-slot cap on usable spells. Should I expect the cap to become a major issue at some point in the future? And is there anything I should do to mitigate it?

>What determines the chances of getting a bolt vs. a beam from the various "bolt or beam" damage spells?
it's entirely based on your character level and your class (high-mages get more beams than mages, mages get more beams than mage-warriors)
>2) I'm currently playing as a gray mage. It seems like they are very strong in the early game, due to gaining access to a wide variety of spells very quickly, but this is supposedly balanced by their 10-slot cap on usable spells. Should I expect the cap to become a major issue at some point in the future? And is there anything I should do to mitigate it?
I haven't played a grey mage but apparently they are extremely strong even in the late game.
Probably you should look through all your available books and plan which spells you want to learn in advance so you don't run out of 'study points' or whatever they're called. You will maybe have fewer low-level utility spells than other mages but you can always just carry devices for things like phase door or detection. (Castable teleport is better than the scroll/staff though because 0% fail.)

Grey mage MIGHT need to skip some of the utility spells replicated by devices and scrolls, but in exchange it can cast wraithform, demonlord form, invuln, call the void, et cetera.

>What determines the chances of getting a bolt vs. a beam from the various "bolt or beam" damage spells?
Character level and class, I think, with mages having better chances than the hybrid classes.
>Should I expect the cap to become a major issue at some point in the future?
Not really, most damage spells are useless and a lot of utility ones can be replaced with items. They are likely the strongest of the mage classes thanks to the number of high level spells you have access to without having garbage sorcerer hp.

Call the void is not very good
It's kind of funny to use it as a huge-radius destruction but I wouldn't memorize it over the normal destruction spell because of the 1-200 self damage this causes.

LOL

>file no longer exists
?????

Wrong image

>hungry ghosts
reeee

Better hope you're not worshiping gozag

sadly I have never seen a katana in an antique store

What is this? I didn't turn on Wander Spawns...

Spotted the formicid.

Seriously, how can you tell what is going on with those minuscule tiles?

how can someone this impatient win a mumo
calm your tits faggot, lest the Tittycrusher grabs ahold of them in your sleep

I usually go vehumet on blaster casters, but they always get assguttered pretty hard. So, I decided to go sif, and, holy shit, she is amazing.

The book gifts guarantee you're not stuck waiting on the RNG to get you something good, and the divine energy lets you run out of MP but not instantly get assfucked by having 1 more cast of a spell. She is probably better than Vehumet for casters that don't want level 9 spells asap.

>the divine energy lets you run out of MP but not instantly get assfucked by having 1 more cast of a spell
It's great for kiting as well, since the -Cast time is usually less than half the amount of time it would take to regen the MP naturally.

doesn't sif have an ability that lets you just recover half your magic bar for some pitiful amount of piety and invocations investment

for me it seemed to cost a decent amout of piety, and using it at all kept me from every reaching 6* even when I was training magics

sif is great but i'm still mad about
>sif muna accepts your kill!

divine energy is available at 1* or something too
it basically means you have infinite mana in the earlygame when you're spamming low level spells that only cost 1-3 mp

It's not the ability, it's just that Sif piety is ridiculously hard to keep up in general.

Divine Energy at 1*, channeling at 3*. Using Divine Energy for 1-3 mana spells is wasteful though. If you're going to be -Cast for a while no matter what, you might as well fire off your biggest nuke and hope it kills the guy.

with old sif, you got channel energy at 1 star piety, and for many mages that was also effectively infinite MP.
>wizard
hide behind imp/conjure flame and channel, or blink and channel, or slow them and channel
>air mage
swift, run away, and channel (not anymore RIP goodswift)
>fire elementalist
hide behind conjure flame and channel
>summoner
hide behind summons and channel
>earth elementalist
petrify the lead of the pack in a corridor, channel
>warper
blink, channel
>venom mage
just kill them outright because early game VM is busted
>ice elementalist
hide behind ice beasts and channel

There was literally l i t e r a l l y LITERALLY nothing wrong with Old Sif, devs should have just introduced a 3rd magic god based on time travel or debt or some shit instead of fucking with a beautiful classic god of infinite cheese

definitely need another magic god. agreed.

the -cast duration is based on the mana cost of the spell
i'm saying it's OP when the spells you were gonna use anyways are low mana cost, i.e. in early D

Vehumet is the magic god of destruction and raw power, Sif is the magic god of knowledge and versatility, so what would a 3rd god be?

>literally nothing wrong
>infinite cheese
>in dungeon crawl eleganttactical death-to-all-cheese soup

Also, irradiate is the perfect spell for an ogre caster. Literally facetank a billion guys with your thicc hp and then 1-shot them all with a single cast.

Old Sif was mad OP in extended. You're guaranteed to be gifted lich form at some point, and lich form makes channel literally free. Then Sif's miscast immunity means you only need to get it to 60-70% fail rate for it to be usable (yes that's 60-70% fail, not 60-70% success), at which point you can sit in lich form 24/7 using channel to regen mana at something like 10x the default rate (or 3x if you're an idiot at put literally zero XP into invo). It was fun as fuck to play, just rolling through the hells spamming those L9s. Out of mana? Channel once, channel twice, oh look it's time for another Fire Storm.

That would make me very happy

There's a fixed base delay (it's `3 + missing MP` on average) so you waste a lot of time in -Cast state if you use it with 1 MP spells.

>There was literally l i t e r a l l y LITERALLY nothing wrong with Old Sif
It just was not fun.

>spamming haste at 50% failrate until success before you enter a new level isn't fun
>using flight+ haste +channel + 50% failrate firestorm to clear shoals isn't fun
>using haste+freezing cloud+ice beasts+ icicle to get slimy rune at XL 14 isn't fun

people who don't think that makh/ash/chei/sif aren't the funnest gods aren't playing right, and probably agree with the dev changes

what about a god of spell focus?

>you get a reduced number of spell slots
>by focusing on these fewer spells, you are able to achieve superior mastery of them
>casting some spells above 'max' spellpower
>casting spells in tandem
>casting spells twice
>getting a okawaru's finesse-like effect on your spellcasting
>chaining spells instantaneously on kill, but you can't cast the same spell twice in a chain

obviously not all of these effects, but some of them, possibly modified. It could be like a wiu-jian council of magic

Or a god of singing.

>the more consecutive turns you spend casting spells, the stronger your song grows (your song grows faster with higher MP spells, so you can't spam magic dart for max song power)
>higher song power lets you do cool shit, possibly like the powers in previous post
>the downside: this god dislikes spells that are below 'somewhat loud'

Damn all these books all so early.
MUH
DICK

You can still do those things. But now you don't have to wait until you get XL6 spells to make Sif tolerable to play.

sif's 1 star piety carries early mages, what are you talking about. 4 invo and the right utility/summoning spell and you are ready to rock.

>It could be like a wiu-jian council of magic
so all the interesting features would be gutted in trunk and it would just become the god of "you have higher max spellpower and better max MP"?

>casting some spells above 'max' spellpower
Maybe just give an enhancer? All the high-level spells are capped at 200 and it's damn hard to hit that already (50 int + 2 enhancers, or 33 int + 3 enhancers, with 27 in all relevant skills).

Thousands of extra buttons pressed throughout a game on top of the butan-heavy nature of spellcasting, and contrasted with Oka each invocation of Sif channel felt like it did shit-all. But now you only need to turn on Divine Energy once to get a substantial boost to mana stretchery, and you can actually get some fucking big boy mana for once, at the price of a bit of piety.

So what do you actually do to survive in the wilderness in dda? I had to hide in a cemetery building to not take cold damage at night, and all I've really managed to do so far is cook frog meat on a stick.

Sounds pretty sick 2bh, but devs hate fun new gods. Especially since the primary complaint against Wu Jian from the devs was 'I can't tab mindlessly with this god, pls fix'

>Try to fix a motorcycle's gas tank
>Need a hacksaw
>Find one in another town
>Killed by a shocker brute

>Try to build a wooden bike
>Need a wrench
>Find a toolbox
>Mugged by an NPC
>Shot in the head

>Try to build another wooden bike
>Have all the tools and materials, Mechanics skill too low to do it
>Find a Mechanics book
>Get hungry while reading it
>Go to the grocery store of a town that I cleared of zombies
>Horde led by a zombie necromancer approach from the wilderness
>Game crashes

>hacksaw
If you are particularly desperate, you can smash the frame with the tank on it and hope the frame breaks before you damage the tank too much. Probably need a welder to repair, though, so still needs some tools.

Irradiate is just an outstanding spell all around. Effective level of 6 and great damage for that investment and the 5 cost.

3/3 for winning ogres now

nah, I'm talking like he removes spellcaps, maybe gives you an enhancer as well, but if I had to choose between the two I'd say remove spellcap. And even give a cool message when you cast a spell above max spellpower. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe it would be broken for low level spells, like sandblast. Sandblast at twice the regular power would be insane against now AC targets, like titans and such. So maybe limit the 'remove spellcaps' to the level 9 spells. It won't get too out of hand with the lvl 9's because of the conversion of raw spellpower to real spellpower, it would indeed be pretty tough to get above 200 on a level 9. But it would be fun to try.

Is mace ogre still a decent choice? That +3 aptitude going to -1 made me pretty flaccid.

Throwgre >>> Clubber

Removing the spell power caps on L9s is useless, and removing the caps on lower level spells would be OP. An enhancer would be much, much better.
Alternatively, you could increase caps by 1.3x

Its still viable

Vehumet is the god of low-effort caster. Sif is the god of high-effort tedious cheese caster. Making channel energy cost piety means that you can't spam it, meaning that you can't cheese. If they want a new less cheesy high-effort god, then they should have made a new god. What's the fun if you can't do clever shenanigans forever throughout the dungeon (bad players and devs call this 'tedium'). Old sif was a perfectly viable god choice in every stage of the game, even zigs. New sif is also perfectly viable at every stage of the game, but now you can't do clever little tedious things with him, like be a XL5 shitter MuWz and stroll around with rMsl and permaswift up, and standing outside a doorway recasting imps until you get only iron/frost, then ordering them to open the door for you. THAT's the fun part of Sif. If I wanted to play resource management caster, I would just go vehumet.

yeah, but vehumet already gives you an enhancer, so if you were after that then why would you go this god instead of vehumet. Hm, maybe that would work, increasing all caps by 1.3x or some number.

Vehumet gives you Wizardry, not an enhancer.