Anyone here have things to say about the 5th gen prelude as a daily...

Anyone here have things to say about the 5th gen prelude as a daily? Someone offered to buy my neglected 05 camry and I was thinking about breaking my V-tak cherry. Camry has some maintenance coming up, and i feel like i might even just be able to go straight across, and I hardly drive it because I drive my miata so much. I hear nothing but good things except that road noise is real bad, and the thought I'm giving up real rear seats and a real trunk...or am I subconciously giving in to the bad idea of 2 project cars...? Am I thinking straight Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bXVU3zFwwCM
youtu.be/TabLpEJcMY0
youtu.be/SehdNn8QCXc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Up until recently the 'lude was the most underrated Honda, but recently they started gaining meme value, especially the SH. Dunno why you'd get one if you already have a Miata. Get a shitty old truck or something.

well actually the prelude was just an option, albeit a sexy one. My justification was if im gonna get another camry equivalent or civic, it would be cool if it had a H22. Something I can go straight across too you know after selling the camry, cheap to maintain, cheap on tires and gas, cheap on insurance.

had a prelude as my first car. Can't say anything bad about it, except that it has FWD and if you have friends above 5'9, they won't be able to sit in the back comfortably, but other then that, great car to have.

they are a rad as fuck. basically an accord with a good looking body, great vtak and they are really well built. just watch out for ones owned by white trash kids and brown dudes.

how was the road noise? and you can actually fit people back there? (albeit tightly)

tfw i want one but they all don't have the original motors

I enjoy mine. Bonestock 1997. No muffler and RSX Wheels. (thats how I bought it)

Pulls pretty hard, sounds nice even without the muffler, and you get a very very low riding feel which I enjoy.

I will also note that parts are amazingly cheap. I'm seeing prices for parts that are 50-70% cheaper than the equivalent part for, say, a Civic, or an Integra.

how was livability with trunk space and the rear seats?

is this a good thing lol

Been using my 99 Prelude (automatic) as my daily for about three years now. It is small in the cabin, and the back seats are pretty much a joke, but it's a sports coupe. They're not any worse than the back seats in a Mustang. The trunk is decent, and the rear seat can fold down to access the trunk if you need more room.

As for how it drives, I like it. It's small all low to the ground, so it handles really well. I'm not sure what the top speed it, but I've taken mine up to about 120mph before. I currently have just under 147k miles on it, and I've only had to do basic maintenance like a tune up and new tires and brake pads. If you're going to purchase one, just make sure the timing belt and water pump have been replaced, or get that done as soon as you buy it. The only real problem I've had with the car is that it's burning oil, but I've added Lucasoil thickener to my oil last month, so we'll see how that works out.

The only other warning I have to give you is that the Prelude will only take premium gasoline. Look out for any shitty aftermarket mods if you do buy one. I was lucky to buy mine bone stock.

Thanks user, clean ride breh stock 'lude is best 'lude

What's a reasonable price to pay for a 5th gen Prelude that's stock, in decent condition, and doesn't have a horrid amount of miles on it?

>every Prelude around me is either beat to shit, riced to shit, overpriced, or a combination of the 3
Suffering

seems like 4 - 5g is a modest price for lower mileage.

>beat to shit, riced to shit, or a combination of the 3
Did you expect anything less in the used honda game?

Tiny inside, integras and civics are more spacious.

I’m 36 and own two newer luxury cars and am looking for a clean, unmolested type SH.

I’m at an age where I don’t have time to go to car meets / shows or go for long drives without having the kids crying or complaining in the back seat, or having a wife nag me that we have to be somewhere inane at such and such time. So, short getaways to run errands and hit some backroads around me are treasured moments. The most rewarding time will be when I can occasionally give the spurs to a “drivers car” that is “slow car fast”. Fortunately I also have the disposable income to do this, so I can get into the cleanest of the remaining 5th gens.

The cars rally do have some of the best road handling and feel compared to just about anything. The seating position is just about perfect. SH type really does mask 90% of FWD understeer and plowing. 200ish HP is more than enough in a car of this weight so I don’t get tickets like I would if I got a 400hp mustang. And I can drive the piss out of it. The multi link suspension is classic Honda flat, quick response handling that communicates everything to the driver. I think it would make one or two commutes per week a lot of fun so I can leave an hour early and burn up some back roads before the busses start running. Or for the occasional romp on the weekend or late night Eurobeat run after family is in bed. This would only be fore my enjoyment. Not to show off. Not to boulevard or go to a fancy dinner with the wife. Just me and a machine talking about the road via touch and sound. A pre-midlife crisis car. (That comes later and will be a Lexus RC-F)

I’m also considering clean and maintained IS300 5spd, E36 M3, E46 330ci, E90 328i (tough finding a 6spd rad sport pkg), NC Miata, and maybe step up to a Toyaburu 86/FRS/BR whatever. I’m not a big fan of convertibles so the Miata is at bottom of list. Prefer smallish sport sedans.

Integra isn’t even on list unless Trump ramps u deportations and builds the wall. Mexican bandits is will steal it out of my garage. They are a lot lighter and you can driv the living piss out of them better though, but finding a clean GS-R is pretty much impossible, and the meme-tax on a Type R is way out of my price range. And that would get stolen 10x faster

I have a 99 auto that I bought recently for like 2k as my first car. So far, I've had to change a few parts to even get it to start somewhat reliably, and even then, cylinders 1 and 3 are still misfiring. Anyone know what might be wrong? I've replaced:
>starter
>igniter
>spark plugs
>oil filter
>oil
>EGR valve

Forgot pic
Also forgot to mention, I replaced the battery, though I doubt that matters. Also when I bought the car, the previous owner put in an AEM cold air intake

Have you done a compression test?

>cheap on gas
>gets 19 mpg

I have not, though I probably should.

Lude is nice but the Integra is better

Try the distributor cap and rotor. That caused my Prelude to have misfires after I bought it due to corrosion.

It could also be the air filter since a lot of the aftermarket "sport" air filters are designed to let in more air than the OEM Honda filters at the expense of actually filtering out dirt and debris. The Honda filters are only about $24.

Much more difficult to find, however.

I paid $5 for Prelude when it had about 100k miles give or take.

I would also like an SH manual as a fun Prelude, but they're about as hard to find as an unmolested Integra. Mexicans also like Preludes, so be careful. I have a club on mine at all times.

Anyone have any ideas for a decent daily that hits what the original post requires? I think is in a similar boat, I looked at the stickied post for looking for cars, but honestly i feel like that list is not as comprehensive as it was and something tells me theres some hidden gems that could be suggested, like the 'lude

To be honest, the Prelude isn't incredibly useful for a daily since it takes premium fuel and doesn't have much cargo space. If you like the look and feel of it, then go for it. Don't buy a car you don't like just because of a little extra room inside or cheaper gas.

is300? 1s gen of course

Its nice to drive but bad on highway / autobahn
60 MPH you are at ~ 3000 RPM
80 MPH you are at ~ 4000 RPM
Buy the Manual. Automatic is cheaper to get but will more expansive to fix.

Im from Bavaria and paid 5 500 € for mine (H22a8 BB6 with Leather interior).

Will try that thanks.

One more thing, any idea what might be causing my prelude to rev from 1100 to 2000rpm on its own at a park?

Considering I bought two BB6 preludes for $350 USD each as a joke I'm relatively surprised at how much their worth after a little bit of a fix up.

I've seen a nicely priced, well-treated Prelude once before, though I got the old 1-2-Craigslist of someone selling it after we agreed to meet up some time.

how are you so bad at taking pictures

Check for vacuum leaks (google how)
there is a little black plastic box underneath the intake manifold, get under the car with a flashlight and check if it is cracked. it is a vacuum box that operates the variable intake butterflies. mine was cracked and it caused the revs to surge at idle.

also wet-sand and hand polish your headlights jesus christ man, where is your self-respect. it takes 30 minutes.

Never buy 5th gen in automatic transmission. They get chewed up for some reason which is why all the auto Preludes are usually cheaper than the manual ones

A lot of hondas from the late 90s to early 2000s had issues with auto transmissions failing/destroying themselves. The Prelude, the Odyssey, and the Accord

I did, that pic was just a couple days after I got the car.

How do you guys feel about carbon fiber on Preludes? I have an OEM-style hood, TJ-style front lip, and MG-style side and rear skirts, but I haven't installed any of it yet.

Also, I'm finally doing a full exhaust. Already ordered a Tri-Y header and Innovative crossmember and mounts. Haven't decided on the other pieces yet.

Great car, go for it OP. Honda's are a breeze to fix/tune up anyways so who cares.

Mines alright. Its the 4cyl version admittedly but its a good ride

Looks ghetto as fuck

Leave ludes OEM or OEM+

I'm definitely going to install everything, so I guess it's more a question of whether or not to paint it first. It's all Seibon stuff, so I don't really want to paint it unless I have to. Might install it and see how it looks, and then have it painted when I have some bodywork done if I decide it needs paint.

Car is Crystal Blue Metallic btw.

>4cyl version
Aren't they all?

there is a normal 2.0 Liter
and there is the VTEC 2.2 Liter

Im the only one who hates the look of front lights? The whole car looks great except those stupid lights. Wtf.

Always high RPM
only 5 speed manual
Small rear seats cause coupe
Only premium 95 oktan or the engine dies

youtu.be/bXVU3zFwwCM
youtu.be/TabLpEJcMY0

youtu.be/SehdNn8QCXc