/arena/ - Arena FPS General

Phoneposter editon.

A place to discuss all of your favorite oldschool and modern arena shooters such as Quake Live, Quake Champions, Unreal Tournament, Reflex, etc.

Play Quakeworld for free: nquake.com/
Play Quake 2 for free: q2s.tastyspleen.net/
Play Unreal Tournament 4 for free: epicgames.com/unrealtournament/
Play Warsow for free: warsow.net/
Link to Quake 2 Starter with Quake 2 and its expansions: mega.nz/#!EAxAlSwa!9v0PQ7QgN60mXDptMqWXvdAC2srSCnb7pGPqZojG2QI

Quake Champions closed beta signup: quake.bethesda.net/en/signup
QC beta is now 24/7. The beta is no longer under NDA.
UT4 Patch Notes: [YouTube] May 2017 Patch Notes (embed)
Quake Champions interview with Zero4 and Tim Willits: twitch dot tv/videos/144807974
twitch dot tv/videos/144852481

Slipgate to the previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Pauldrons
youtube.com/watch?v=j7H7KpUBbKI&index=5&list=PL996FB4FA945EAFA9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw no qt quake gf

[pitched down HUH]

they dont exist user

>Those Blizzard-tier pauldrons

1d4chan.org/wiki/Pauldrons

>Tiny axe...

>Ranger
>ever not having pauldrons the size of his head

>New player to the game in chat
>he claimed Sorlog the cutest voice and best girl

They learn so fast ;_;

Also they gonna fix this cluster fuck of not being able to get in games because it stays stuck on the ready button?

>all these news and leaks

More leaks other than the pics in the last thread?

I took a break so I was just reading the last general, and saved this place from page 10.

Surprised Doom is not called Slayer but Marine, probably paving the way for classic costumes.

>update beta
>click play
>game opens and immediately closes
nice
epic
i like it

works for me :^)

The game is insanely wonky right now.

a-at least the patch notes show they're working pretty hard

I can't wait to go berserk with my boy Doom.

Game is a beta , they'll get to your problems soon

The brown women is Athena with a grappling hook

Keels ability is a grenade launcher

Strogg coming soon

Which strogg?

>bug report the grammatical error in Clutch's shop description
i am saving the genre

strogg infiltrator

bitterman when?

Quake champions at its utter core is the best game i've ever played
The shit netcode, insanely horrid cpu usage, and a littany of other fuck ups to the games fine tuning take it down a few pegs
I sincerely hope they polish and balance it out before the game releases

its a beta for a reason

if theres anything id does well it's the tech

>Texture quality at medium by default
>Game says my computer can't handle any higher
I mean my rig isn't great, but I've never had a game outright tell me I'm simply not capable of anything higher than medium. Usually I can get highest texture settings in games without an issue, but an arena FPS can't?
What's so special about the textures in Quake Champions?

you probably dont have enough VRAM

I'm playing QL on an obsolete video card so I thought I'd pop by and ask everyone: how are you enjoying the new ztn?

too bad it's up to saber and not id then

The duel format in QC is absolute trash.

So much this, I really hope they fine tune that shit. Earlier versions I had no problems with, these last two though, have given me aids.

why does the music in this game suck so much
give me them aggro industrial tunes back yo

I think Mick Gordon is doing the music, but this is definitely not his best work. They should bring Sonic Mayhem back.

On this topic:
What do people think about having no frag limit and very short round timers (5 minutes mb) but you get OT unless you lead by more than 2 frags?
People speculate that Bethesda made duel like this to avoid having long winded stomps like you get in QL, CPMA or virtually any afps. Introducing a system like this would limit game time when there's a stomp significantly like most other games do (OW, mobas and CS all end up at approx half of max game time when there's a stomp). It's a better experience for everyone as a stomp isn't enjoyable for virtually anyone.

This of course makes certain maps with huge swings like aerowalk very random. It could be dealt with by having map specific win conditions.

I think it's better than the current system. And I'd like it in other games too as I really enjoy the close games the most and would easily have games be 20 minutes if I could guarantee that the games I got weren't bad.

I don't think Sabre will fix that though as Bethesda seems hell bent on killing duel.

There is no indication that he is doing the score for QC, I recall him mentioning he is working on a project for someone outside of the U.S.

As a spectator sport, last year's QL Final's between Rapha and Evil were some of the most enjoyable Duels I've watched. With the 3 champ format, I don't think we will see Duels like that ever again.

I think I heard it somewhere but I don't remember so don't quote me on it but nonetheless the music is boring.

It's more Q1 than it is Q2-3, albeit Q3 had some pretty low-key tracks. Such as:
youtube.com/watch?v=j7H7KpUBbKI&index=5&list=PL996FB4FA945EAFA9

I would flip all the fucking tables if Mick Gordon remixed Q3dm6

Dont HUH to me or my son ever again

no doubt about it
music is a huge part of the feel of this game
the music playing on ruins of sarnath feels like a lullaby or a sad scene from a shitty american movie

>tfw quake girl sounds qt on voice chat but she might not be qt irl

>tfw she turns out to be Lucy irl

>mfw

remix that shit and I will cum buckets.

>cum buckets
I'm sick of how we have to express things so crudely here all the time.
Can we not just stop that and be normal?

>1996+21
>expecting things to be normal in the house of those touched by the black goat of the woods with a million young

In Q1, telefragging works by standing in the place of the teleporting individual's destination in order to kill them. When they appear and you're in the way, they explode into gibs. This can be done in both multiplayer and singleplayer.

But in the final level of the SP campaign, the Quake guy kills Shub-Niggurath by stepping through a portal and teleporting onto the boss's location. By the usual mechanics of the game, the Quake guy should explode, but instead Shub-Niggurath does.

>makes you think

I would flip all the tables bro

eat my balls bro :^)

How is it that this patch brought back so many issues?

no Ranger TPed to Shub since she was there first she gets gibbed while Ranger lives.

what the fuck is happening with matchmaking?

Yet when the player runs over a a regular enemy's spawn, they get telefragged.

it's because in quake- like in doom- telefragging is always in favor of the player

also it wouldn't be fun if you die out of nowhere.

If two players had perfect accuracy would clutch be an ideal pick?
>get stacked
>slow walk during fights for damage reduction
>shield to negate opponent's active

Yes

With how the stacks work too it's pretty much whoever rails better wins. Blowjob also has killed dueling since you literally just grab LG and get a free kill.

>Blowjob also has killed dueling since you literally just grab LG and get a free kill.

surley he will get changed his active is game breaking as shit

it's not as much as his activity itself as the fact that you can't see that he's using it until it's too late

What's the best ability and why is it Bullrush?

I WILL LEAD THE WAY

good escape
good finisher
good booster

it does everything

on par with dire orb I'd say
bullrush can't allow you to go in one direction, look the other way, grab red and then instantly appear at rail for example

Yeah I agree. But with how duels are now they're simply too short when you get a good game. Too much waiting. Imagine a tournament with 20% waiting in lobbies while casters try to figure out stuff to talk about.

How about BJs ability. It really is the best. It's just not on a strong character (for good reason).
Scalebearer with that would be unstoppable.

still accurate

i love how everything else is edited in some way except the shambler

Never played an Arena shooter before, how should I get into the genre?

BJ's passive compliments his active really well though, since his ideal playstyle is pretty much to spend as little time fighting with one gun as possible. That free 25 health seems to make a pretty big difference for survivability and fleeing.

It's $10, but Quake Live free for all is a pretty good place to start. Do the QL movement tutorials, as many as you can finish (or just hop into ffa and do them later), watch a video on strafejumping, and bind all the weapons to keys near WASD and/or mouse buttons. If you like it play ffa until you want to play a team game, then do some Clan Arena or freeze tag. Basic strafejumping is important but easy to learn. One big thing that took a while for me was getting used to the weapon hotkeys, enough to the point that they're instinct. Like, it took me months. During the early learning phase it's good to focus on just aiming properly with whatever weapon you have out instead of worrying too much about having the right weapon out for every situation; you'll learn that over time.

In ffa/freeze tag you'll find that the same players win every time, it's because of how well they time and control items. Learning item/wep spawns is huge. You don't need to worry about that in Clan Arena but you'll often find yourself getting btfo by people who know the maps well enough to predict where you're going.

You can start with Quake Champions too, but it's lacking tutorials atm and I think QL is a better place to start since everyone's on equal footing; there aren't character differences and abilities and shit to distract you. QL has clan arena too which is nice for learning maps, hotkeys, basic movement and rocket jumping around because there aren't items, you start with all weapons and take no self damage.

>wall of text
tl;dr I recommend starting with quake live

bruh thats not how teleporting works in quakeworld

join the /arena/ discord or join us during one of the wuake nights
there are newbies you can learn the game with

>free 25
It's 12 on average. Since you only heal up 24 hp if you're one above the next bracket.
It's not that big a compliment for a fighting ability. It's rather poor sustain. Ideal would be anarkis mobility with BJ.

In ztndm3/blood run for QC you can just camp the teleporter near rail with no repercussions and wait for your HP to go to max since there is a blood pool now.

You lose map control. It's no doubt a successful strategy to stand there a lot of the time but healing to max health isn't a big deal.

It explains itself. It's actually more accurate now that BJ is in the game with the double handed LG
He's like a mini shambler with way better fire rate for christs sake

getting stacked isn't that big of a deal either

i just realized Blazkowicz dual wielding MGs make his silhouette look like hitler from wolf3d

Damn I forgot how fun Quake is.

ded

these maps are such a pain in the ass
also let thread die to fix the OP y/n?

i just updated my game and why do i have 950 crystals all of the sudden
last time i left i had like 100
what happened

I SAW BOSS BABY IN QUAKE CHAMPIONS?!? (NOT CLICKBAIT)

your gear was baleted

idk i got 350, had like 80 before or something. everyone got a bunch, not sure how they decided how many

you nigger it was so close to dying

its far from dead lmao

(HE ANSWERED!? OMG)

if their netcode "improvements" continue it will be

Why do people defend 2x damage? Why do they say it's actually balanced? What is wrong with their brains?

2x damage > 1x damage
How imbalanced it it? 2x imbalanced

Just fuck my game up ID

Getting tagged by the lightning gun should not guarantee you to die instantly
Shit does too much damage and fucks up your movement in a game where movement is the most satisfying thing ever

>id
Its Sabre.

>tfw id will keep getting shat on based on saber's design flaws

They chose this fate.

>casters calling the QC quakecon tournament the Quake world tournament
1 million dollar quakeworld tournament. You heard it guys!

bethesda did. id didn't purposely develop their next engine for doom4 and then pay a third rate company to do a separate engine

just bloom my shit up