Looking to get my first truck and I need your guys' help...

Looking to get my first truck and I need your guys' help. Not really knowledgeable when it comes to car stuff but I've been doing a lot of research lately since this'll be the first vehicle I buy on my own and I'd like to get something that'll last me a long time. Price limit is around $10k.

I'm interested in the 4x4 2004.5-2007 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L ISB 600. The quad/crew cab or whatever the full four door version is called. From what I've read, the i6 5.9L ISB 600 24v diesel engine is a beast and was even on the top 10 engines list for 2004. I'd be using the truck mostly for some light towing and off-roading (with some occasional heavy towing) but really, I just want to get a full sized truck that's well engineered and very reliable for my price range. From what I can tell, the 5.9L Ram fits the bill pretty well. Would love to hear your guys' thoughts.

Guise?

>Chrysler
>reliable
Pick one and only one

>literally any roadworthy diesel full-sized truck
>10k
Pick one and only one

They partnered with Cummins to make the 5.9L, and even then, if a select number of screws and nuts are designed so that one twists into the other in a clockwise fashion, it doesn't mean that every screw and nut in existence must also follow that same design. Basically both of your comments are shit.

Get the 5.7 Hemi, great engine and cheap parts

Really? I was under the impression that the i6 was generally a better engineered engine. Great balance. Also, i think the V8 is heavier on the fuel consumption. And it's not like I need the extra power anyways.

If you are looking for a truck theres no fucking way you are going to find a "cheap diesel".
Trucks are super overpriced and even moreso on a diesel.

That being said the rams are pretty decent all things considered, we get tons in at the dealer i work at with original engines over 150k miles on the gas trucks and even more on the diesels.

just get a v6 ranger

Checked

>asks for advice
>gets upset when he gets it
Kill yourself my man

>defending a one-liner used in order to express a far-reaching claim that didn't provide any extra content
>calling that advice

I've found a few under $10k in great condition on Craigslist. They've got a little over 250k miles of course, hence the lower price, but it's not like there aren't at least some selling for around that price.

the fact that Dodge is shit is well know fact expect for everyone but you because you're an idiot.

Can you at least try to provide a reason? More than one of the Chrysler made engines in those Dodges have been voted as some of the most well engineered engines of all time.

In the 60's and 70's they where, nowadays they are basically your standard run of the mill manufacturer outside of some extravagant exceptions.

The ram trucks are plenty reliable, i work at a dodge dealer and out of the entire dodge lineup the trucks are the last commonly serviced at the dealer.
Now its possible people dont bring the trucks in or they fix it themselves but i can guarantee we see 10 to 1 jeeps to dodges at the dealer i work at.

You will not find that truck near that price unless something is catastrophically wrong with it. Unless you settle for a 2wd regular cab, you are going to have to save up more.

My 4th gen. I got 18gs off sticker for this.

Well then what would you recommend?
I don't think I can justify the fuel consumption of an old-school Dodge, nor any other older trucks for that matter. The first gen '81-'87 Ram with the 3.69L slant-6 engine is well known to be excellent, but even that is a bit too dated for my liking.

So these are excellent trucks. They are reliable pull great and get 20+ mpg on the highway.

They suck for any real off road use. You can go off road but you need to realize how heavy this engine is and that any abuse in the front will cause it to go out on you I.e. Oversized tires and constant beating.
When looking for these trucks look for one that is completely stock, no lift, no chip, maybe tint...
You don't want to buy someone else's have finished project and all the problems that come with it.
I have a 97 Cummings with 320k on it and I love it. Been looking to upgrade now for 5+ years but just can't bring myself to sell the one I got. Maybe I buy new in 2020 (that is what I tell my wife anyways) but I still don't know if I'm going to do it.

Also good luck finding something that not beat to hell under $14k

Anyone who has owned a Cummins buys another one

My mom has been running the 5.7l hemi on a 2005 Durango right now. It's at about 180k miles and the only problems have been a water pump, radiator and normal stuff. The spark plugs are annoying to change but not a big deal.
Op I would ask yourself if you really need the 2500. I sometimes drive a 2005 gmc 2500 Duramax with all the upgrades and compared to a 1500 the suspension beats you up.
I would also question the big cab. A regular cab or extended with a short bed isn't so bad driving around in the city. A crew cab with the 6 ft bed is shit.
We have company trucks with over 250k miles on some ford Triton v8's.
Imho get the diesel if you want to blow money or tow really big shit, otherwise save 6k and get a gasser. I doubt the gas savings will be worth it.

You need to up your budget if you're going to purchase a 3rd gen 5.9L Cummins, unless you get really lucky and find an unreal deal, but at $10k any truck you look at is going to be a serious gamble in terms of whether something is going to be break, or is already broken. These are not cheap trucks to fix. For any good 5.9L worth buying, I would think you need at minimum $15k to spend. $20k to get a for sure good condition, unabused, old man owned rig that should last you for a good while.

That said, there are deals out there, and you might get lucky. Earlier this week I bought pic related. 06 LBZ Duramax, 168k miles, all service records since new, clean title, paid $11,500 for it.

>I'm interested in the 4x4 2004.5-2007 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L
>Price limit is around $10k.

enjoy you're 250k+ mile beaten to shit pile of garbage

More realistically $20k at the minimum for anything halfway decent and 4x4.

You're probably right. I was just saying that you can find deals in the $15k range if you look hard enough.

The early 2000's dodges have issues with standard things like power steering lines, trans cooler lines, water pumps, etc. Nothing super dealbreaking, we see plenty of work trucks with plenty of miles on them but they are typically written up for a good amount of things.

Now it also is possible these owners dont take care of their trucks whatsoever seeing as they are work trucks and they drive them till the wheels fall off.

I would look for the cheapest and least beatup diesel and save the money or finance more until i could afford that, expect a fair bit in price since trucks are super fucking overpriced.
And as for MPEGS? Why even bother caring, they all do fuckin terrible in mileage anyways,
They all average under 20mpg.

You're better off looking for a Ford Ranger, older F150/Silverado. Dodge Rams are a fucking money grab of overpriced average quality pickups. Dodge Ram is almost becoming the male marketing scam that Jeeps are for women. If you're getting a used Ram, chances are you're going to the bastardization that's Chrysler "quality" with them. A lot of people don't take care of their pickups all that well and Dodges are really sensitive to neglect.

Dodges only claim to fame is a powertrain that isn't there's
Don't do it there's loads of better options
Mopar had never made anything reliable especially those years I currently drive a 06 2500 for work but with the 5.7 and the thing has nothing but problems
A/c goes out twice a year
In the summer it can't stay cool thanks to dodges genius radiator and condenser set up where they decided its a good idea to split the coresupport up with 5/8 being the radiator and 3/8s being the condenser so for one it has a tiny radiator that's smaller then my rangers and a condenser that when its electric fan goes out your a/c is fucked because it cant get any airflow from the clutch fan
The 5.7 is so fucking gutless so even if you do get a ram don't get the hemi
Mine has a fiberglass utility bed but its probably on the same frame as the 4 door but you cannot turn in them in a culdesac I sometimes have to do a 3 point to turn around
My cab is full of leaks especially from the cab and in the winter I rarely use my heater cause the heat from the engine bay likes to creep into the cab
Also these trucks like to death wobble my coworker who has a similar truck has had his do it on him multiple times and most problems ive had with my truck its happened with his and it just seems those years were just heaps

nice ute m8