But manual is hard in traffic!1!

>but manual is hard in traffic!1!

once you drive stick for more than a week driving in traffic becomes second nature, why do autocucks still bring this point up?

Because they're just parroting shit they've heard before, since they've never driven a manual, let alone gotten good at it and bonded with their shitbox. You'll have to pry my shifter out of my cold, dead hand.

I have a lot of stoplights on my morning commute. It does honestly almost get old. But the drive home is worth it.

Because modern manual isn't as fun as a modern automatic.

I have both manual and auto cars.
It's objectively true that manual is more work to drive in traffic than auto. Depending on the car you drive, where you live, and how often you deal with traffic this may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

Manual is great but there's no need to be autistic about other people's choices.

no problems driving stick but i really dont see the appeal. it adds unnecessary effort to driving.

what are you going to do with that unused effort? Play on your phone?

pick my nose, obviously. the commute is the ideal time for nose, ear, and teeth maintenance.

Relax?

Pay attention to the road?

Eat a booger?

Finger my GF?

jokes on you, I drive manual and pick my nose

not nearly as thorough as an automatic driver, i assure you

>girlfriend

What a strange argument.
Why aren't you constantly jumping on the spot while you browse Veeky Forums? What are you gonna do with all that unused effort?

>He's never fingered his gf while driving manual

i want you to imagine, for a moment, someone who doesn't think it takes any effort, much like you don't think you need to put a lot of mental effort into 2+2=4

now imagine, for a moment, what you would think of someone who thought figuring out 2+2=4 took mental effort.

that's what the former thinks of you.

The fact something takes a small amount of effort isn't an argument for doing it over something that takes no effort.
What's the actual benefit of manual over modern auto transmissions with respect to normies driving in traffic?

math does take mental effort no matter how minimal it may be and you're just being disingenuous by implying that you think no effort is needed

It doesn't take effort though?

If anything it makes fuel efficient cars actually drivable
>no random unwanted shifts
>don't have to hold the brake pedal down as launch control for the slowest takeoff ever
>can actually accelerate without stomping down on the pedal because power builds with revs
>acceleration is instant so long as you are near the powerband, no waiting for the transmission to decide you want to go faster or stomping the kickdown and engaging race mode
>stronger engine braking (granted this is only good if you can actually shift properly, or else all the brake wear you save goes to your clutch)
>can roll back and freak people out on hills (do it to motorcycles for maximum lels. got a guy to fall over once.)

t. autist that needs everything to be stated precisely and literally

>ACKSHUALY everything takes effort!

>t. autist that needs everything to be stated precisely and literally
not true at all, i am just showing that you're letting your own personal insecurities cloud your judgment
admitting the obvious, ie. that shifting requires more work than not shifting, does not make you less of a man

>The fact something takes a small amount of effort isn't an argument for doing it over something that takes no effort
So you prefer jerking off to getting laid?
After all, it's much less effort.

Yes, true at all

For me, it requires work in the same way finding the answer to 2+2 takes mental effort. Why the fuck would anyone want to admit to having that much trouble with such a basic skill?

You'd have to either be extremely lazy or worse at driving than a 16 year old european girl.

seek help it is not healthy to put so much value on such a trivial skill. you're clearly putting undue import on driving manual because you don't have any real skills.

Sometimes, yes. It's entirely dependant on the circumstances. If I'm stressed and just want to bang out a quickie, sometimes a wank is preferable.
If I'm in it entirely for pleasure and have an attractive woman, would obviously rather fuck.

Likewise, an automatic is preferable in traffic with a DD econobox, and a manual is preferable in most other situations.

I'm not. It's not a valuable skill. It's actually a very trivial one that even fucking teenage girls can master so all the people on this board saying it's too hard or takes too much effort are fucking unbelievable

It's like you walk your entire life and everyone you know walks, and then this fat fuck rolls up in his chevrolet mobility scooter and informs you that he would walk but it's too much effort, especially when you have to stop walking and stand in one spot.

You're strawmanning most of this thread. Pretty much no one is saying it takes too much effort.
People have just been pointing out that it takes slightly more effort than automatic, and for most people gives little to no benefit in return.

Why don't you buy a crank-start vehicle, young man?

Too much effort? You kids are weak and pathetic.

Because trying to crank an engine actually does take effort and the thing can break your arm if it backfires?

My point is that if you weren't a bunch of obese, mildly retarded burgerstanians you wouldn't be able to detect the difference in effort and would wonder why anyoen would relinquish control over part of their vehicle to a cheap microcomputer that hardly has any idea of what's going on outside the car.

Why don't you buy a horse drawn carriage?

Taking care of a horse too difficult for you? Why aren't you kids able to do anything more complicated than draining some liquids and pouring more in?

well nobody says it takes too much effort
what was said was that it takes additional effort
you are now purposely misconstruing messages in order to justify your weird sense of worth based completely on your ability to drive manual, which everyone can do
i suggest getting a hobby so you can develop a real skill in order to fulfill your need to feel special

How can you be so obtuse to not acknowledge that automatic takes less effort to drive than manual? The name 'manual' is literally an indication that it takes effort.

>no random unwanted shifts
>don't have to hold the brake pedal down as launch control for the slowest takeoff ever
>can actually accelerate without stomping down on the pedal because power builds with revs
>acceleration is instant so long as you are near the powerband, no waiting for the transmission to decide you want to go faster or stomping the kickdown and engaging race mode
>stronger engine braking (granted this is only good if you can actually shift properly, or else all the brake wear you save goes to your clutch)
>can roll back and freak people out on hills (do it to motorcycles for maximum lels. got a guy to fall over once.)

Literally none of these are relevant with respect to normies driving in traffic. Some of them aren't relevant in any context when compared with modern auto transmission.
No one is saying a manual can't be more pleasurable to drive for enthusiasts in certain contexts, but you're an absolute autist if you can't see why automatic exists and might be beneficial.

I can't imagine ever driving anything that isn't manual. I love the long ass throws in my truck. Something bout a truck... gets my dick hard. Except I will say driving manual sucks when you hurt yourself. I ride dirt bikes and used to skate. Sucks when you roll your ankle or sprang your wrist especially when you have no power steering. Lucky I haven't broken anything while owning a standard tranny... knock on wood.

>It takes additional effort
Were you not raised on a steady diet of instant ramen and mcdoubles, your brain might have developed enough to barely register the additional effort, much like a modern human barely register the additional effort needed to add two and two together compared to the effort needed to comprehend the concept of two in the first place. However, you seem to be a downsie and have some difficulties with basic skills.

>I suggest getting a hobby
I have plenty. It doesn't stop me from thinking you are either
*Mildly retarded and unable to learn basic motor skills
*Sperging out and blowing something way out of proportion because you're poor and stuck with an automatic chevy malibu your parents bought you

>paddle shifters

automatics exist because women couldn't into stick

i am happy that you're finally admitting that, no matter how little, more effort is needed
glad i could help you heal, don't bother thanking me, just pay it forward
manuals are cheaper than automatics btw

So little additional effort is needed that it is only significant to people who have some sort of mental deficiency or psychological hangup.

>manuals are cheaper than automatics
The boyracer tax inverts this for some used cars.
>i know what i got
>a lotta drifters would pay good money for this...
>no tire kickers

Get over it.

Lol I love her face... it's like "actually, I still have no idea what I'm doing! Hahah oh Conrad be a darling and pour me another Cosmo."

>automatics exist because american women couldn't into stick

FTFY
Amerilards ruining everything again.

>Being BTFO so hard that you have to beg someone to stop BTFOing you

RIP in pieces: your'e butt
anally devastated for being 2 dumb to into car
9/31/17

come back when you have a tesla since driving takes too much effort

Automatics have paddle shifters too. What's your point?

Been driving a manual for about a week now and got stuck on the interstate yesterday. I had a passenger with me and normally when I'd be looking at them in the eyes during a conversation I was busy playing with my phallus and clutch pedal. It wasn't necessarily bad, but it's so much easier to move in stop & go traffic in an automatic.

OH YES WOW I FEEL SO COMPELLED DRIVING MY MANUAL CAR WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN GO FAST ENOUGH FOR SECOND GEAR, WHAT A LUCKY MAN I AM, THANK GOD SOME ENLIGHTENED user ON THE INTERNET UNDERSTANDS THE MAJESTIC EXPERIENCE THAT IS CONSTANTLY BOUNCING BETWEEN NEUTRAL AND FIRST GEAR FOR MILES.
OH MY GOD I'M SO PROUD OF BEING ABLE TO SHUFFLE A STICK AND A THIRD PEDAL DURING RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC.

THANK YOU user, THANK YOU SO MUCH, IT'S NICE KNOWING THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO CAN APPRECIATE THESE SPECTACULAR MOMENTS OF PURE AUTOMOTIVE JOY

pro tip, throw it in second and keep your foot off the gas. It helps to not tailgate people too

Yeah thanks, I got that covered already.
Unfortunately people in other lanes take that "go slow, leave some space, avoid stopping" approach as an invite to get in front of me and forcing me to stop anyway

manual fags are like fucking vegans.

shut the fuck up already

>ho doesn't live the manual lifestyle
L M A O what an interior retard

>he doesn't live the interior life

Lmao stay cucked.

Stick is fucked in Seattle or San Fran, otherwise... Just annoying in stop and go

I have a friend who says this a lot, I drive my manual steeze box all the time though everything, but this kid is all about modernizing things and making people better drivers and saying you should be forced into owning crash avoidance cars and all this bullshit, the kid is such a pussy. He goes on about how his Dad's GTI has hill assist and that every car has it, or that autos are good in the city or traffic because its a minimal effort drive. Then you call him a pussy and he gets offended, saying "its only my opinion"

I don't see any downside to hill assist and I'd welcome it in my Saturn ion.

>on an enthusiast board
>driving something made specifically for non enthusiasts

>not mastrubating while driving
manual plebs

>6 seed bumps to leave my residential area
>6 traffic lights before I get onto the highway
>bumper to bumper traffic

No thanks, I'll stick with an auto until I move out of the city.

it becomes so fluid you don't even notice it

What's the best cheap car to learn manual? Should I buy a Miata or Prelude for under $10k so I can practice before splurging on something nice?

>Push starting the car when starter or solenoids fail

>young kid/idiot theif has keys to your car but can't drive away because he doesn't push down clutch/stalls out every time.

I haven't seen these mentioned a single time in this whole thread, and it makes me realize that there are a whole bunch of bus riders arguing here.

oh do modern automatic have a clutch pedal and a stick that selects what gear you are in?

>manual is way more fun to drive than auto
>y-yeah but for no-normies in traffic auto is better!!!

autocucks btfo

baby

I would say no. I think if you dive in head first you will not damage the car that badly. I would say to ask friends or family to see if they have manual cars that you can learn on.

is mean for

Manuals aren't bad in traffic, but it is annoying, more annoying than automatic at least

>10 speed bumps to leave my residential area
>every intersection is blind so you have to stop
>around 30 traffic lights on the way
>even on the freeway
>one traffic jam at the end of commute
>road so broken and built by complete fucking retards that I am amazed my car is in one piece after driving over it

I drive a manual sportscar and I enjoy going and coming from work because it has some tight corners.
And I found this commute which is 10 miles longer but has more twisties and less traffic.
Gotta be clever otherwise enjoy sitting in traffic jams with all the other fags and lying to yourself that you need to ruin your every driving experience just because of a few hours every weekday

>stuck in traffic jam on the interstate
>come to an exit, exit lane is E M P T Y
>think to myself 'I can exit then (cruise to my destination / get on at the next entrance) and save some time!'
>instead of the bumper to bumper on the interstate now I'm bumper to bumper through intersections
yet I do it so often. Why? One day maybe it will change

>10 speed bumps
>traffic jams
>lines of cars
At that point I'd just get a motorcycle

>speed bumps? what speed bumps?
>cars? what cars?
>safety? what safety?

>reddit spacing strikes again

Buy an automatic for the fantastic appeal of picking your nose more thoroughly.
Fantastic.

It's not hard it's fucking tiresome
t. Only ever drove manual

I'm still kinda learning manual when I go back home and practice on my mom's honda, but everybody always says"oh it's a sea saw motion" but Ive had better luck giving it a touch of gas and letting the clutch out slowly.

What's the deal?

>not fingering your gf and calling out into which gear you want her to shift for you with her free hand

Manual is life

Makes slow shitboxes fun

I don't know what the fuck they meant by seesaw motion but you're doing it right.

Shut up and keep posting preludes

I keep stalling and everytime I take off my tires skid - how I need to release the clutch slower?

(you)

>tfw manual was 4 years ago for me because of oversanding a glassy iced over mountain road
>it almost killed the three cars behind me
>a car was pushed back onto the road because of 17ft tall snow banks and would've hit me if I found my license plate that I was searching for

fuck the snow removal asshole that was never named for that fuckup

>JDM Prelude
boi, that better be the 2.0 Si with 4 wheel steering

Cuz that shit is gay

It depends on what car. My dad owns an S500 and obvs, it's auto, but who cares, it's a fucking Mercedes, it's amazing nonetheless.