Did i fuck up?

just picked up this forester XT, 5spd, pretty loaded, 254kms, for $700, spent about 300 to get it to pass safety, and another 200 in taxes and government bullshit. good deal? bad deal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_0_eTbmcPWo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>buying a subaru
>buying a meme engine and meme wheel drive
>buying a shitty example
kys.

>700 dollars for a WRX
So what's wrong with it?

have fun with it you vaping dyke.

I used to have an N/A forester. Wonderful car. The mechanical AWD is pretty great, it drove nice, visibility and storage were great. Nothing meme about them. People spout hurr headwork is hard but you do that what, once in the car's life?

at least it aint a miata

This board really is filled with bus riders, isn't it? baka.

rear struts needed to be replaced. $50 for the pair used, new front ball joints, and front and rear pads and rotors were about $240. (i get a discount at a parts place in town). got it from an old guy in town who didn't want to fix it. original owner.

I was just wondering how he got it so cheap. That's a bargain if it's not a ticking time bomb.
That's a kickass deal. At 250km I'd check forums and see if headgaskets need to be done again assuming they used oem replacements, but still, kickass deal.

this is my other car. meme is life bro.

You listen to memes too much.

no, the foresters are just shit. should've got a legacy wagon.

Yeah that's kind of an unusually good deal. Hope he asked the mechanic to look it over for him in addition to the inspection.

lel
What year is it? 254kms is what, 130k miles? Did the guy you buy it from have receipts/records for maintenance?

Is it a 2.0 or 2.5?

Objectively false, they're a bit taller and boxier but comfy as fuck.

i am a mechanic, the guy didn't want to fix it and i told him i would buy it, I've been the one maintaining it for the last year and a half and the other mechanic i work with was the one working on it since it was out of warranty,

2.5 turbo

Then its a fucking steal muh dude

you missing the rear headrests?

seats folded down.

subarus are shitty cars desu
i'd pay $700 for a mid-90s 2wd for ranger before a subaru

looks good (except for the rust), get a pressure test to make sure no coolant leaks,block test for exhaust gasses in coolant,compression/leakdown test.

Straight ballin'

I'm sure you know the weaknesses of the 2.5. Gaskets, rods, etc. Be considerate of what she needs and she'll take care of you.

I'm just not a fan of the look of the foresters. if they were longer I think it'd be fine, but there's too much height for not enough length in my opinion.

Any particular reason that they're shitty?

Because he bought the meme.

nice meme answer for meme statement

Care to explain?

It makes sense in the context of the model lineup though, to make it a lifted Impreza with a taller, boxed-off cabin. That way if the Impreza is too small you can choose long (Legacy) or tall (Forrester)

just look aroundevery subaru thread is filled with the same shit and it all boils down to "they're good cars if you don't mind constantly spending money to fix them"

thats basically what everyone says about their favorite company

you're a moron OP bought a car that we can assume wasn't maintained with visible rust, kill you are self

You spend money to keep any car going numbnuts.
They're not. They're unusual, but with proper care you get a very nice car.

my old Subaru was a beast. couldn't kill the thing. even used it to take down a tree, youtu.be/_0_eTbmcPWo

>they're good cars if you don't mind constantly spending money to fix them

Welcome to used cars.

lol that's awesome

He thinks Subaru engines and transmissions are weak. They're really not if you care even slightly about your car.
Mechanical AWD is nice if you actually go offroad. The biggest issue is the tyre wear, but since it prevents understeer it's not a bad price to pay.
Vapers need to die though.

Mechanical awd doesn't prevent understeer, but it does offer consistency. That's what's great about it. Pitch the car sideways in snow and it will react the same every time with TCS disabled. They can actually be a bit understeery from factory but a thicker rear swaybar fixes that.

Rear swaybar + -1.5deg rear camber + ALK = super tossable and controllable.

>even used it to take down a tree

treequinox?

I didn't say mechanical AWD prevented understeer. The way the front geometry is set up is what prevents it.

see video youtu.be/_0_eTbmcPWo

>head gaskets every 50k
>timing belt at 90k
>glass trannies
>all for muh flat-4 awd

nice memes, something you heard at the bus stop?

timing belts are just part of normal maintenance for a lot of cars, and if you don't drive it like a pissed off teenager the transmission will be fine. so do the head gaskets if they go and it will be a decent beater.

just get an audi lmao

>audi
oh great, haldex AWD and even more expensive repairs!

That's for sideways engines. If you get an audi with the engine in the right direction then you get some variation on a proper bunch of torsens.

But then you also get an expensive german luxury pig. Subaru fills the cheap everyman's japmachine role.

>Subaru fills the cheap everyman's japmachine role.
used subarus are just as expensive as audis

Both used Subarus I've had so far have been cheaper to buy, reliable, and easy to maintain. Obviously that's going to vary depending on model.

I don't have anything against Audi. It's just a different market segment and Subarus breaking down left and right is largely a meme even if they don't share Toyota or Honda type reptuations.

>used subarus are just as expensive as audis
this is very inaccurate, only expensive work you may need for an old subaru is headgasket. aside from that rest of the maintenance and repairs are fine

as a mechanic i can guarantee you a Subaru is MUCH cheaper to maintain then an Audi. take an Audi all road and compare it to a Subaru outback. or an impreza VS a4. The only subaru that i would stay away from is the SVX.

There's a couple anons on here that own SVXs and would beg to differ, other than the auto trans which is a known issue they're very good cars

Biggest issue of the SVX is how niche they are. They're nice cars.

the transmissions are a big one, and they are a rare 20+ year old car, parts will be getting hard to find and expensive, look at the price of a windshield.

I consider the manual '04-08 Forester XTs to be the best all-round tuner car in the US market. You dun good OP, but at that low price I'd be sketched out.

Shit son I'm already in talks with the seller to purchase an 05 Fozzy XT (cosmetically and mechanically upgraded to STI) for CAD$10k
Talk me Veeky Forumsut of it

Saw this XT sport traded in at Carmax. But sadly was a automatic.

Don't forget the fantastic visibility