Takata airbags

Who else is driving around on recalled airbags. Who else is ready for them to go off?

Other urls found in this thread:

flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/small-claims.stml
boronextrication.com/2016/08/27/2016-xc90-volvo-body-structure/
boronextrication.com/2009/11/04/subaru-uhss-and-boron/
docs.google.com/presentation/d/1KSSsT_OJIMm_wK7GR9ZrZD2QES_6S7aALT49r55DLYA/edit#slide=id.i42
youtube.com/watch?v=I_hkGN8TiJY
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Waiting to die at this point

Not suicidal but wouldn't care if they went off as long as it killed me.

if they are recalled, why not get them fixed

They don't have them for my car yet.

Sell your car. Most people who have them explode live. They just live with a horribly disfigured face and/or without vision for the rest of their life.

I sold my 2010 GLK 350 because I'm not in the priority zone. Fuck NHTSA and fuck Takata.

So pardon me for my stupidity or lack of knowledge.

They understand that the airbags are defective in your car and have acknowledge such, but they can't supply suitable replacements?

What state do you live in user?

>mfw regularly handle these faulty inflators at work
>waiting for one to go off as I unscrew the four 8mm nuts that hold it to the steering wheel

>Most people who have them explode live. They just live with a horribly disfigured face and/or without vision for the rest of their life.
Fuck
I live in FL and drive a w204 c350. I've called different dealers all they have is the SRS control module.

BMW practically begged for me to bring in my E46 M3 for the recall fix. I eventually caved even though I hate letting a mechanic crook touch my car.

The guy removing my civic airbags got blasted in the face , they also broke my dash clips and I had to call Honda corporate to get the dealership to actually fix it

flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/small-claims.stml

might be worth suing them directly user, cheaper for them to settle

that fucking sucks

Fuck that sounds horrible. The techs at my shop used to set off the old inflators for fun but having one of them get set off unexpectedly is terrifying

Fuck I can't even think straight my stomach hurts all the fucking time and my airbags are going to disfigure my face.

it makes getting people out of crashed cars even more risky
the smaller space combined with the damage means the bag can go off at any time and crush anyone inside
and some cars a hard to cut
boronextrication.com/2016/08/27/2016-xc90-volvo-body-structure/
boronextrication.com/2009/11/04/subaru-uhss-and-boron/
docs.google.com/presentation/d/1KSSsT_OJIMm_wK7GR9ZrZD2QES_6S7aALT49r55DLYA/edit#slide=id.i42

also with newer cars there are electrical hazards
400 to 800 volts dc

It's a recall, it's free.

How can there be crookery you paranoid fuck

>So pardon me for my stupidity or lack of knowledge

Allow me to fill you in.

These airbags were in close to 40% of all consumer cars sold from 2001 to 2015. The company that made them, along with Honda, knew that they were defective all the way back in 2004.

Instead of using a different propellant (one that would not become unstable when introduced to heat cycles and moisture), they instead opted to ad a dissicant to the expansion cannister. This did not work, and now both non-dessicated and dessicated Takata ammonium nitrate inflators are recalled. They were still being put into vehicles as late as 2016 (4Runner).

In anticipation of NHTSA dropping the hammer after finding out that the dessicated airbags still explode, Takata moved assets out of the airbag division and declared for bankruptcy. So, the company that fitted these systems is under new ownership and has an unknown future. NHTSA allowed them to do this. Palms were certainly greased.

The supply chains of other companies can't replace and retrofit 15 years worth of cars' airbags in a short amount of time. It's a massive undertaking. So, NHTSA has outlined staged rollout zones depending on temperature and humidity. If you aren't in Zone A (southern US, NC- SC border), you are shit out of luck. They WILL NOT give you the part. Sell your car. It could be years until they accommodate you.

Why do you faggots not simply rip out that faggotbag if you actually know it is the faulty one?

Do you seriously want to live with a pizzaface after it happened?

I've run my vin number for my 2001 civic and it doesn't show any recalls, is it just because it's old or they got it replaced? Am I even entitled to recall services if I bought it used after like 16 years?

Also, just put a bag over it, so it doesn't dust your cabin and set that shit off inside your bag AND THEN remove it.

Why handling it with care if that shit isn't worth anything anyways? Just set it off and delete that crap.

The shrapnel can explode in random directions. It doesn't just go thru your face. I saw a local new clip where it shot metal shard directly up through the dashboard and out through the windshield.

Setting one off intentionally without a blast screen between you and the airbag would be I'll advised. It's literally a grenade.

Airbags make your car safe user

Just because you are not on the recall list YET does not mean you will not be added.

However, since 2001s are the highest risk (oldest) airbags, if you're not on the recall list yet, you PROBABLY won't be added. The cars being added now are the newer dessicated inflators.

NHTSA has a PDF with all of the staged recall zoning. Many cars in the PDF are not officially recalled yet, but they will be.

ok so how tf can i pull my bad out? can i just disconnect my battery?

>tfw one of my cars has no airbags or seatbelts and the other one has airbags that send shrapnel into your face
which one is safer?

My honest to goodness advice is to sell your car if you know you have the airbag and they won't replace it (Zone B/C).

My wife had a car in Zone B (2010 GLK 350).

>Benz dealer couldn't get me the part and wouldn't give me a loaner car. Refused to disable the SRS as well.
>Local non-dealer shops also refused to disable the SRS. It's illegal.
>Disabling and/or removing SRS will also void your insurance. You will get ASS FUCKED in the case of any insurance claim if they find out you disabled/removed SRS.
>Fucking with the system yourself is dangerous. Disabling the battery really isn't a total fail safe. We're talking about unstable compressed gasses here. Multiple trained techs have set them off inadvertently. One just died the other month.

It just wasn't worth the headache and uncertainty. We sold the car and got a new one that doesn't have Takatas.

They've actually been begging me to replace it for almost a year now. But I legitimately don't trust their shitty airbags anymore so I'd rather just pull them out

Got a MY 2012 e92 328i xdrive 27.7k miles, getting bored of this car, bmw keeps sending in trade in offers because they dont want to fix our bags, and they arent selling well on the new models.
I got 11k left on the loan and current value is 18k book.
Should i keep, sell, or trade?
Help me Veeky Forums.

Go get the new ones ASAP. If they have the part for you are in imminent risk of death driving your car (Zone A Honda).

In fact, have her towed to the dealership. Seriously. Many Zone A cars had over a 25% chance of rupture during deployment. You're driving a death trap.

They legally have to supply you with a rental car until the car can be fixed.

Don't be a cuck, my sister had a Civic with the airbags and they told her "lol it'll be 3 months".

She told them to give her a rental, and suddenly the car would be fixed in 2 weeks. Still got a rental for 2 weeks, though. We beat the fucking SHIT out of that Cruze.

Sell that shit. Especially if you don't even want it much

It's a toyota and I'm in Virginia. Am i really that fucked? I've been driving this thing for a year lol

>They legally have to supply you with a rental car until the car can be fixed.

Only if you are in Zone A. NHTSA is not forcing dealers to give rentals to Zone B/C vehicles at this time.

They are calling Zone B/C cars a "voluntary" recall, lmao. The only factor differentiating zones is time and humidity. They all have the same dangerous part. NHTSA got bribed by Takata pretty openly, and the dealers don't give a fuck.

We are in Canada, which doesn't have humidity the way other areas would.

Again, don't be a cuck. Simply threaten a lawsuit and 9/10 will buckle to your demands. If they don't, set off the airbag intentionally and blind yourself. Then sue Honda and the dealership for millions.

>Am i really that fucked?

I'm literally telling you the stats. The 2001-2003 Hondas had up to a 25% chance of rupture on deployment. Would you buy/drive a car that had a 25% chance of killing you or permanently disfiguring your face in 15 mph fender benders? That's what you're doing.

An independent firm found that rupture occurs, across the entire car market, about 3% of the time. However, if the dealer is actively calling you to come in, they are giving you priority because you're driving a high risk vehicle (up to 25% chance of rupture). Just get it fixed. It's free.

>180 injuries
Literally nothing

Got the notice recently for my '09 Civic, but the local dealer is giving me a hard time about scheduling a service appointment.

Rip. I've called the bastards three times now and they've said they'll "get back to me" even though they called first and have been sending me letters for months. I sense a lawsuit coming...

Wouldn't trade my vision for every dollar on Earth.

I hated my wife's GLK for other reasons so getting rid of the car was best course of action. If you like your car go ahead and try to threaten a dealer. I'm just warning you now that you probably won't get far if you're not in the highest priority zone as of now. Best bet is small claims court for the maximum amount and just hope the company settles. They probably won't.

Then you start killing people until you get what you want.

I can't believe what a pushover you are.

I live in california which I understand is one of the priority areas, but my vin is turning up literally nothing. I don't understand how it ouldn't turn it up if they were all equipped with them unless it got replaced or they don't have information on specific recalls by VIN for vehicles more than 15 years old. I would assume there would be some sort of record that would say it was serviced.

If I call them and just ask them to check it will they charge for that?

Fuck airbags. Literally bombs waiting to go off straight in your face. Rip the cunts out

I just got done winning a lawsuit against a dealership (different reason). Not a pushover. Just saw a good opportunity to get rid of a household car that I hated and I took it.

If it were a car that I liked, hell would've been raised.

>If I call them and just ask them to check it will they charge for that?

They will use the exact same lookup tool that you are using.

My 2006 Accord coupe wasn't listed on the recall list, but 2006 Accord sedans were. I went to the Honda dealer and paid to have the tech open up the dash and visually confirm that I didn't have the part. They did it after some haggling and gave me written confirmation that I didn't have the part.

did he die?

i wish i did

nah his face got cut the fuck up though

CIVIC demands blood

kinda felt bad but i was too busy being pissed that they wouldnt fix my dash originally.

hell they did more damage than i thought because they didnt put the i guess protector or something for the blower fan and it got ripped apart as well.

lots of bitching at the dealership for a week that accomplished nothing.

but literally the day after i called honda corporate the dealership was calling to apologize and fix everything

Fucking dealer niggers i swear

I love it to get things explained by someone swinging a rancid toothbrush

youtube.com/watch?v=I_hkGN8TiJY

>get recall notice from Honda
>call local dealership where I get all of my service anyway
>they have replacement parts in stock, ready to go
>they wouldn't let me take a Civic Si as a loaner, but the maintenance manager asked the salesman to let me take one for a spin
>drive around with Civic Si for a bit
>chill in the lobby for an hour
>free oil change for "being patient."
>fill up on free coffee and pastries (they had an old lady that was baking bear claws in the kitchen. Holy shit they were good).

Could have been worse.

i let my friend drive my lancer around with deadly airbags.
I let him know that if he crashes it the airbag will kill him.

How much did you end up paying?

Also, kind of hesitant to do that because my SRS light is on from back when I removed my passenger seat to clean underneath, and I bet they'd hold my car until I paid up to get it reset because it's considered unsafe to drive or some bullshit

Now imagine you were one of those unlucky people

I'm not though. I'm not getting hurt

So if I buy a used Japanese 90s-2000s car should I just replace the steering wheel as soon as possible

Please tell me they are legally fucked if someone in zone B/C gets injured.

They aren't. This is all being directed by the feds user

>How much did you end up paying?

Not the person you replied to but I have an '08 Honda Civic Lx and its free. Its free for everyone.

Dude you have the internet at your fingers. why the fuck are you asking here dumb ass

>Tfw I escaped the recall by a single model year

Anywho I know having a defective airbag that decides to go off randomly is definitely dangerous as it could knock you unconcious and shit while driving, but I don't understand this nervousness over shards from the cover. The cover is designed to deal with an exploding device behind it, as that is what airbags by design do, so did Takata fuck that up too or am I not understanding the initial issue correctly?

I have a 2006 volkswagen golf is my face in danger?

They've been sending me shit for the passenger side bag for a while. I'm in zone A, but I just don't wana. Unless it's something I can just drive I'd and have them do while I wait.

its literally F R E E. all you do is go to your local dealership and they fix it free of charge

>it's free
>you have to take it over there and have a second car to drive, use your time to drop it off and pick it up.
>or you Hatton go their during business hours to get a rental, and miss work hours
Totally free, if your time is worthless.
Unless they can do it over a weekend, I'm not going to deal with it.

2 of my vehicles were equipped with defective takata bags, both of which were replace free under recall during regular dealer service. I heard somewhere that takata's replacement bags are also under investigation.

>Airbags

>why are you asking here
I don't understand the question

What else would I do? Why couldn't you just answer ? I don't even understand what to ask

I meant particularly for getting them to visually confirm that you don't have a fucked up airbag when you have no outstanding recall against your particular VIN, but you do for the model year.

I'm in Texas, all the Honda dealers have airbag inflators stacked to the ceiling in their parts department, all ready to go into cars and a pallet coming in every week. Also had a passenger side airbag inflator replaced in my car within a couple weeks of getting the letter from Subaru.

It's not like they're giving everyone in zone b/c the middle finger, we are still getting plenty of them.
I hate to victim blame, but rule 1 of working with airbags is to disconnect the battery and let it sit for at LEAST 15 minutes. You have to let the capacitors discharge, else that's exactly what will happen. My guess is that since he's undoubtedly on flag, he bet he could get ahead and save time by not waiting the full 15, and lost that bet.
It's not the tech that's the crook, m8. It's the service managers and higher that are pushing us to sell you shit you don't need. Of course we (the techs) don't see any of that profit anyway. I'm not even on commission (hourly), so if I recommend you something you really do need it. If anything I'd rather not recommend anything because that's more work for me and I get paid the same either way.

Shit, didn't realize Texas was zone a. It's not humid at all usually in Austin so I figured we wouldn't be zone a. Nevermind then

I made an appointment and took my car in to get it fixed, left it there for a day and then they said they didn't have the part and now they wont stop sending me shit in the mail about getting it fixed. I work full time i don't have time to fuck around when they don't even know if they have the parts

>tfw you drive a GM from 1992

>tfw no airbags at all
I don't know if im the winner or loser here