/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/2784
youtube.com/watch?v=_swVxhsOj_w&t=27s
dropbox.com/s/8mngc7z2t40bbq4/AziAudio DS8 WIP 6.dll?dl=0
byuu.org/articles/latency/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

emulation is a meme

>he doesn't emulate his PC's hardware

You wouldn't emulate an emudev

Did mudlord write this?

>fecal lord
must be his father

What is the hardest game to emulate on PCSX2?

Try Primal, I'll be waiting for the results

>come back to PCSX2 after years to pick up games I'd quit too early, expect some improvement
>everything's the same, including every "fix" to broken shadow behavior just amounting to a hack that turns all shadows OFF
>ie still in a state where a horrible problem you'd badly want a fix to is being used as a solution to a horrible problem

This is true
My brother beat all of Max Payne 2 on a Riva TNT32 which wasn't even supposed to run the game yet everything ran at sub-15fps and the textures were fucked due to lack of T&L
But that was over a decade ago

What do you expected from PCSX2? It'll never be good user

PCSX2 today is like Dolphin 3.5 era, where everything ran like shit

Soon

Are you implying that we should expect PS2 support on Mednafen?

Hello,
I'm having some trouble with Dolphin on Linux.

No matter what I do, it always installs 4.0-7840 even though the repo has 5.0 .

It also fails to compile from the source.

What should I do to get the latest (nightly) versions?

Yes, the almighty Mednafen, everyday i dream that they pick a N64 project, because PJ64 is shittier than PCSX2, fuck me, PJ64 can't even handle FIRST PARTY GAMES!!

I know. I hear that all the time. But then I hear periodically that we give PCSX2 too much shit when it's actually improving, that it's escaping Gabest's ancient shackles or something and I wanted to see if it was bullshit or not.

By repo, do you mean the package manager's?
Also post the error log of the compilation.

mednafen is love
mednafen is life

You can make tests yourself to see how much it's NOT improving in any meaningful way. The only bullshit it's that they don't give up and start from scratch since PCSX2 will not go anywhere from his current state. Want more proof? Take a look at the wiki, almost every game has issues (and mostly not simple issues)

user, I'm pretty sure about you not having info to back my hopes up, but if you have a single clue about the PS2 support I'll would be glad to see it

he's bullshitting

That's so true. i have to change the configuration on the emulator for every game, EVERY game. And now it's worse because the wiki is down, PCSX2 is awful...

>i have to change the configuration on the emulator for every game, EVERY game
Why aren't you not using config files?

People said the same about Saturn emulation and look what happened
You can't stop the beetletrain

Running a native PC game at 15fps is entirely different than running an emulator at 15fps.

>Why aren't you not

So I'm using a shitty logitech F310 to play shit on
PCSX2, and it was working fine until a little while
ago, when it suddenly stopped being read. The controller works for any other game, (steam, etc)
but refuses to be read for PCSX2. I've tried fiddling around with the configuration settings, reinstalled it, nothing works, I'm at my wit's end, anyone know how to fix this?

I Don't know how to use this.
And i hate when the game forces you to use CRC hacks or skipdraw, you know that some effects will not appear or even make the game unplayable on certain situations:NFSU2 when is raining, Ace Combat 4 when all the planes go black....
I hope Play! thrives

This is the worst part. I can almost deal when it's able to fucking work and the errors are not too game-ruining, but the fact that you have to spend this setup period for every fucking game just makes me see red. Even after figuring out separate configs, the fact that you have to do it once for each game is still too much cancer to be exposed to.

A shame we don't have more people working on Play!, stuff is going too slow

Yeah, some games doesn't even receive the keyboard input AKA:Soul Calibur 3 NTSC

>Yes, the almighty Mednafen, everyday i dream that they pick a N64 project, because PJ64 is shittier than PCSX2, fuck me, PJ64 can't even handle FIRST PARTY GAMES!!
Logic not even once.. PJ64 + Angrylion's runs any first party game well (accuracy-wise).

I mean this thing, it was working fine for months but all of a sudden PCSX2 doesn't want to read it.

Actually the part that makes me mad is mostly that people call this complete or fully working or "with no problems :^)". Like with Citra I'm fine with this early primitive garbage because nobody's labelling it as something else. It's a privilege we even have it.

PCSX2 and people pretending it is totally fine and functioning are, together, a fucking barrier to improvement.

Yeap, but the performance is terrible (not a single PC on this planet can run all games at fullspeed), we need some middle ground here

Yeah, accuracy-wise PCSX2 runs 24:The Game,Call of Duty 3, NFSMW perfectly on software mode, but running at amazingly 15FPS...
I'm talking about an emulator that runs good and at a good speed.
Angrylion is amazing accuracy-wise, but it's REALLY demanding, i can run some games perfectly(MK64, Star Fox 64, Legend Of Zelda:OT, Wipeout 64) but the majority slows down

It's funny when people point to the % of games on the wiki considerated "perfect", and you open each page and see a list of unsolved problems...

That's PCSX2 staff for you

That says playable, not perfect.

Though I would still consider a game being slow as not playable.

Joke's on you if you think Recaptcha can do better (performance wise) without even using a dynarec. Accurately emulating the N64 is very demanding. Someone will need to write an optimised dynarec for each N64 component, in order for people to get decent performance.

I do appreciate PCSX2's software renderer though. It's definitely more optimised than any N64 plugins.

I used to love this thing until I found out just how large the stick deadzones I've been playing with this whole time are (like 5-6% radius) after plugging in a Gamecube controller adapter, and now I can't fucking stand them. And then it gives nice fuckin' 0% deadzones on the triggers because everyone loves having a button that thinks it's being pressed. It's cheap but I'm annoyed that it's the standard.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt regarding their competence but now I'm sure there's none.

why aren't newer bleeding edge Citra builds recognizing shared_font.bin?

have the devs changed where the folders should be or what? I still have the font file in the user/--/roaming/citra/sysdata folder

My rules for emulation in this case are:
1% to 40% native speed = working
41% to 80% = playable
81% to 100% = perfect

github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/2784

just put the user folder in the same directory as citra.exe, it'll pick it up.
that's not part of BE yet.

What? only the speed influences on your choices? what about the game run at 100% speed but no textures are mapped, you would still consider it perfect?

Can't even keep the site up and running, makes you wonder, heh?

For speed, but 100% speed with only 50% of the game working isn't even playable either.

No user, I'm talking only about my perfomance "score", even a single texture warping around on a single scene is enough to consider it not perfect. Sound is a big deal for me too

Playable for me is a minimum of 90% speed and only minor glitches(some little flickering, some wrong shadows, things like that). If PCSX2 compability list would be remade, i think only 10% of the games would stay on playable..

Are you sure it's the gamepad that is causing the deadzones and not the software?

LilyPad (the default PCSX2 gamepad plugin) has gigantic deadzones in the default setting. You have to manually set them to 0 for every single axis.

Oh, my bad, you're right. But still, great news as the emulator is getting less dependent on the original system files

Sound is really important for me too, and the thing that made me hate n64 emulation scene, hear the sound differences on super mario 64 here:
youtube.com/watch?v=_swVxhsOj_w&t=27s

Have you tried ParaLLEl? They have an optimized vulkan renderer. It should run well, I imagine.

I Wish i could, my Intel HD 4600 doesn't support Vulkan, but if TinyTiger fully implements Angrylion plugin on Vulkan, i would buy a Vulkan capable gpu right way..

Nah, it's something you find out when playing Smash Bros and F-Zero GX, where it makes a big difference on the difficulty of both games. Makes you think you're just fucking bad from old age, not knowing it's a deadzone problem until you try the alternative.

>Sound is really important for me too, and the thing that made me hate n64 emulation scene
>using Project 64 1.6
I feel sorry for you.

Talking about F-Zero GX, did you know that the deprecated DX12 plugin ran the game perfectly? even the infamous Sand Ocean with fully emulated heat effect at wonderfully 60Fps without slowdown..

The massive volume difference this video was made with ruins my ability to actually compare them. I wish I had a musician's ear.

Dear god, even the timing is wrong on most tracks. Now I'm sad

I'm running the game just fine anyway without having to use a satanic OS, no loss for me. Non-ishiiruka stuttering was the worst though.

Well, i tried it again today, and the sound continues horrible on Jabo plugin and a LITTLE better on Shunyuan audio plugin(Project 2.4 N64DD build)

Are u using Vulkan?

I just put all folders, like config nand sdmc and sysdata on the same folder that citra.exe and citra-qt.exe are, and the thing still asks me for the shared font, should I put the font file in the same folder as the exes?

dropbox.com/s/8mngc7z2t40bbq4/AziAudio DS8 WIP 6.dll?dl=0
use this plugin and manually disable fixed audio timing for most games.

Correct folder for shared_font.bin "user\sysdata"
citra-qt.exe should be outside of this folder to search for the file

bump

What's the diff for that commit?

what repo?

Not funny

Why is Launchbox so laggy?
I like the features it has, but you cant scroll quickly without it locking up. Even on my 6700k 390x PC it does it. Even if its on a SSD it does it. Its not even using hardly any of my CPU power or RAM and its still does it. I got around 5000 games logged into it, and honestly for a frontend, thats really not a huge amount. Yet somehow its always playing catchup.

Never get that with Attract-mode. Its pretty well optimised. (Though kind of barebones)

>launchbox
shit caching algorithm.

>attractmode
this is an ok fe.

Windows Media Center has a program called "Media Browser 2.x and it has a good caching algorithm, but it runs as a service.
In the end it performs better than ALL other fe's. I don't know why MS got rid of it. It was something you had to pay for in win8.
Don't use the standalone media browser that's out now: it's a me$$ and doesn't even support emulation very well.

Is input lag a meme?

byuu.org/articles/latency/

Please consider that the people who say that PCSX2 is fully working, are prolly people who play different games than you do and since those run perfectly, there's nothing to complain about.
I myself I'm kinda of in that train too, the games I replayed thanks to PCSX2 worked perfectly or had minor visual issues that weren't game breaking by any mean.

>you will never get personally blocked by byuu and have your username in the blocklist of all his userscipts

Its a shame since launchbox has some cool features, like being able to render box art and marquees on a second monitor, really good theme support that can be readily tweaked, music and video playback, a decent scraper and built in emumovies support. Decent library management functions.

If it performed as smoothly some of the other front-ends out there do it would be the de-facto frontend in my opinion.
(Since Launchbox and Bigbox have their own uses)

But it just shits the bed performance-wise, well, big box at least really suffers hard from it. Nothing I have done seems to help much. Building up the caches pre-made, turning off the animations, trimming the library, reducing the quality of the box arts. I really wish the guy behind it would stop adding fluff to it (its pretty damn fluffy already), and focus 100% on getting it running efficiently.

Setting everything up by hand in some of the other frontends is a pain. I'll still use Launchbox but honestly I might just ditch big box for now and just have launchbox auto load and sit idly by on the second monitor for quick access.

I can appreciate that this joke is well done and probably objectively funny in some sense but I'm not laughing.

PCSX2 is in a state where most glitches aren't game breaking by any means. I can play through my game that either has fucked shadows or no shadows. But people say they're working perfectly and it's actually really goddamn rare that this is true, if ever.

That's why no one trust the wiki (or the devs). One quick look at the numbers and you go WOW, this emulator must be really good. Then you start playing shit and...

Someone know to use hps2x64?

>being this new

Load the BIOS, then load an ISO.

Up and running, thx user.

What's the comfiest device to emulate on? I have my PC for most things, but I was thinking of playing Minish Cap and I want something handheld for that.

Holy shit, I didn't expected Silent Hill 2 to boot

a 3DS

And the game is locked on this screen, menu selection keep going up and down as if I was pushing some button

If you can get one of those Android devices that are laid-out like gamepads it's the comfiest. But I think most of those are out of date hardware that could *only* run things up to about GBA and under.

Lot's of models can run up to some Dreamcast titles. Anything with 2/4 cores and 1.5 GHz is good enough (just ignore Dolphin, that will not run well on any android device anyway)

Are you talking about Android devices in general, or ones that actually have gamepad built-in?

I'm talking about those chinese cheap stuff that almost everytime try to copy the visuals of other portable consoles (PSP, DS, Vita). Lot's of them are really well made today and are good choices for portable emulation at a low price

>Still can't emulate Super Tempo

I need good gba emu wiht good sound plx