Recommend me some books

I'm a complete beginner who just recently got very interested in learning about finance. I've been reading whatever I could find for the last week or so.

I want to read a book/online course/anything that will teach me the foundations of economy and finance and then continue to specifics, like stock trading etc. I would also like it if these books showed me what kinds of jobs are available in this field.

Recommend me everything I should read. Thanks.

Pic unrelated.

Garfield Takes the Cake - Jim Davis

Thankes, seems insightful

bump

if you believe in that pic dont even bother to read books about economics, you will just get frustrated because they dont comfort your view and quit

I don't believe that pic. I said it was unrelated. I just searched finance in my picture folder and picked the funniest one.

Now, do you have any good reads to recommend?

Garfield: Large and in Charge - Jim Davis

Fuck you. This is the worst board I've ever seen.

Ignore that faggot.
You need to start with a good primer on fundamentals, then you can get into basic economics and broader stuff if it interests you.
Dogbert's Clues for the Clueless by Scott Adams is the standard reference.

I love shit like your pic OP. You can see how an uneducated person would see that very natural looking hierarchy if they didn't know better, but with a good education you realize which parts are upside down, which parts are hotly contested, which parts are parallel to one another instead of hierarchical, and how up in the air the actual pecking order really is in practice.

Anyway I'd say take college econ courses past the 101. Go at least intermediate and shoot for international macroeconomics and finance to cap it off. If all you're doing is reading books you're not going to learn as much as you would in a classroom, but if all you learn is from a classroom you aren't going to be as broadly learned as someone who also reads books.

Yeah, things like that are interesting. But maybe there actually is a group of people controlling everything behind the scenes and designing things to seem normal and natural, but in reality it's carefully designed to benefit their agenda? How would anyone disprove that? It's like disproving God. Very interesting, although I don't believe in it.

I'm thinking of maybe going to college for economy, but that will not be until fall. Do you have any books to recommend? Even textbooks to get ahead? I'm really excited to learn this stuff.

this is a nice one to get started with

Don't disprove it. Study international relations. There is a "World Order". There have actually been many, many "World Orders". This is the... well, many-eth.

Right now we're just about ready for the global crisis that leads to the many-eth next one. These are a letting of bad blood in many ways.

Das kapital- Carl Marx

U mutherfuckers.

Are u honestly new, lazy, or retarded

Read Principles of Macroeconomics by Mankiw.
Get a good foundation in Macro and Microeconomics. Then move on to Finance books. If you're wanting to understand how to read a balance sheet, then get any textbook on Corporate Fianance. Read Damodaran's blog. He has good resources to help you better understand valuation.

bumping out of interest

STICKY MODS MODS MODS STICKY MODS

lots of gimmicky shite in that list

'the millionaire next door' - seriously????

excluding the obvious trashy books there are some decent ones though

Taleb is worth a read even though he seems to have a habit of completely misrepresenting statisticians

Which books are the absolute MUST from that list?

The books by Taleb are useful (though he's published a few now and gets a bit repetitive - he's also incredibly arrogant and annoying + his criticisms of statistics is a bit misplaced... statisticians do more than just classical inference and use more than Gaussian distributions)

it is a good idea to have some economics/econometrics knowledge - though you don't have to read the books there

would be good to have some stats knowledge too - plenty of fee lecture slides, courses out there on the net

Reminiscences of a stock operator is a bit of a classic and probably is worth a read if you're into speculation. The Benjamin Graham book is a classic value investing text.

The sales books and the motivational crap 'millionaire next door' etc.. are just dross aimed at idiots who pay to go see Tony Robins etc.. no value at all with regards to trading/investing.

>making me type that long ass url
Here, I fixed it for you.

>shitting on the millionaire next door
It's a good book that examines the lifestyle of the average millionaire. I can understand why Veeky Forums wouldn't like it though, since it stresses the value of hard work and frugality rather than gambling on shitcoin and pharmaceuticals.

And even then I'd rather read too much than too little.

you really need to read a whole book to tell you to work hard?

I think Taleb is spot on in his criticism of it re: survivorship bias.

Anyway these sorts of self help/motivational type books are for sales chumps and retards, they're of little value for someone interested in finance, investing.

You have to appreciate the time-value of money to take a real interest in investing. The Millionaire Next Door is what some people need to get to that point.

Coursera and edx has some great courses, just be sure to check prereqs so you're not wasting time when something comes up you know absolutely nothing about.
here are a couple examples.

www.coursera.org/learn/money-banking

www.coursera.org/specializations/valuation-investment

The bond book is a good one to help you to understand working of the bond market.

McMillan on Options (2nd ed) even comes with a test booklet if you cough up the money.

Look around for text books and try to stray away from books that are leaning one side or the other, until you are familiar enough.

How bout some cake for the CHIPPA!

eh? It is of no value in the first place, wasting time reading trashy books simply isn't productive

pic is BS
corporations, banks, central banks lack sovereignty

Superpropietaty status ovder everything is a priviledge of the state, as a pagan god it is, over all things of the living

My 2cents on these two that I have read.

Basic Economics by Sowell
>Informative
>Great explanations, especially for economic laypersons
>Kinda "basic" but the writing/prose is great, which doesn't make it a chore

The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
>Best Investing for Dummies
>Best Idiots Guide to Investing