UK New driver, cheap insurance, quick little shit box thread

Just passed my test, I'm 20 years old and have 2 years NCB from a motorbike, I was looking at a 2007 Fiat punto sport £1400 to buy and £1400ish to insure.

Any other recommendations?

1.4 16v btw

i love suzuki swift (5th gen but 4th is good too), i think you will like it too

I'll start looking into them, thanks

£1400 should easily find you a Bedford Rascal

that looks like it will tip over if you go around a roundabout too sharply

B E S T
C A R

120 turbo?

120 turbo what

120 turbo horses

sick dude

could I get a 1.3 suzuki swift and put like 14-15" wheels on it to get a quicker 0-60?

The swift sport is cute desu I've got one and it's pretty punchy, think I'm going for a TD04 greddy turbo though for that extra z o o m.

>£1400ish to insure.
is that annually or monthly or what

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N?

Annual

Nice colour friendo. I'd go for it.

Pic related is my babby.

Jesus and I thought Germany had it bad enough. Can get it around 600 annually online here at 22 years old.

Have a look at some weird shit you wouldn't think of. At 20 i insured an e46 318 wagon for about £1200 a year.
All goes off the statistics and statistically more 20 year olds crash punto's than bmw wagons.

Pic related, i miss muh wagon ;_;

Maybe he lives in a bad area or something, insurers take a lot of factors in to consideration when providing you a quote.

That's why you always have to fiddle the options until you get the lowest price without telling too many 'alternative facts', when doing this make sure you can back up the claim.

When I started driving around 21 in the UK my insurance was approximately £500 annually and now it's down to £300 after 4 years NCB (with a 1.2 petrol engine).

Also OP I wouldn't buy a Punto, like someone else said the Suzuki Swifts are nice cars, also the Corsa's are decent, stay away from a Clio (mum has one, wow it's shit). If your budget can stretch a bit further take a look at an i20 or maybe Polo/Golf.

>don't buy a Punto
>buy a Corsa or a fucking hyundai
lol kys

Having driven a friends Punto (before he under steered it into a ditch) it was complete garbage.

I can give testament to the shitbox Corsa as I still have it at 191k miles (1.2 petrol) and Hyundai make a cracking petrol engine.

Why would you buy a fiat? My colleague has a 500 XL that gives him nothing but problems too.

Tell me your experiences?

newcastoole mate. How's the car scene down there except from Ahmed and his dads lamboghini.

If your going shitty hatchback i'd really recommend a fiesta. I used to shit on them becouse they were the basic bitch hatch that everyone drove but having run a 1996 1.25L one round a track and drive a newer 1l ecoboost one a few hundred miles for work i think they are brilliant.

Can also recommend Skoda's.

>Having driven a friends Punto (before he under steered it into a ditch) it was complete garbage.
What Punto?
No Punto ever was "complete garbage" to drive.
They always were cars that handled well since the first gen. So either you can't drive or something was wrong with your """"mate's car.""""

>I can give testament to the shitbox Corsa as I still have it at 191k miles (1.2 petrol)
Testament to what, exactly? I'm assuming your Corsa is a D, which uses the exact same chassis as the Punto III.

>>My colleague has a 500 XL that gives him nothing but problems too.
>muh anecdotes
I have 2 fiats in my home, never had issues with both. Especially the diesel ones, which are pretty reliable.

>people actually suggesting overweight Opel corsa with pigturd gas guzzler engine slow as fuck

Now I’ve seen everything here

This too, lol.

I wouldn't recommend to anyone buying a 1.2 N/A engine in whatever sub-compact. It's just too slow.
The 1.4 16v N/A from OP is acceptable, but the T-Jet would be a far better choice, or even a diesel.

Okay maybe complete garbage was a bit harsh - It was a 1.4 Grande and drove like a 1.0 Alto, there was nothing fun about it, gearbox was pants and the interior bland. I wasn't with him when he crashed but he lives in a rural area where roads at national limit and the car just wasn't cut out of the driving, more suited to going to the shops.

No it's a Corsa C, what a trooper the car has been. Taken me all over the country, sure it's not a fast car but it's been nothing but good and I haven't ever had to change a great deal on it.

Diesel Fiat just sounds like a recipe for distaster, hopefully you get many miles out of them.

>Okay maybe complete garbage was a bit harsh - It was a 1.4 Grande and drove like a 1.0 Alto
lol what
That's a first. You can't literally find any review saying anything bad about how the Punto handles.
Maybe it's the relatively numb steering, but the car does corner flat and has no bodyroll.

I mean...

>Despite the styling changes inside and out, the handling of the Punto Evo remains largely unchanged from the Grande Punto. That means it's easy to drive in town but also enjoyable on more demanding roads such as twisting country lanes. The ride remains very flat in corners and there's plenty of grip too, but the steering is somewhat light and there's not much feel either.

>Diesel Fiat just sounds like a recipe for distaster, hopefully you get many miles out of them.
Fiat makes great diesel engines. Seriously, this meme really has to stop.
Fiat made 6 million 1.3 multijets by 2015. The 1.9 is bulletproof and the 1.6 is pretty reliable too.

>he drives a diesel fiat

lmao @ ur life

I'm good with it. Are you?
:^)

I can't say much more than what he told me but the fact is he ended up in a ditch whilst spinning around in some country lanes, easily done but he wasn't impressed.

Just comparing it to the Alto from the times I drove the car, it just didn't excite me compared to a Fiesta for example.

Maybe it is just a meme but it's been spouted enough to put me off buying a Fiat. You're argument is sound, I just can't shake the first hand experience I've had and seen with the Fiat brand.

>Maybe it is just a meme but it's been spouted enough to put me off buying a Fiat.
I had that same feel about Fiat before owning one. It's literally just a meme from the 70s, 80s spouted by boomers.

As for my car, I'm really happy with it. Corners as well as cars from the segment above, especially with thicc tyres, it's not a snail on the motorway and never gave problems.

Insurance info:
Corsa 1.0l, £1405 (year), (monthly) £281 x1 £132 x10 - Price to buy car is £1000, 52k miles

Fiat Punto S 1.4l, £1444 (year), (monthly) £289 x1 £136 x10 - Price to buy car is £1400, 118k miles tho

Suzuki Swift S 1.6l, £1708 (year), (monthly) £210 x1 £168 x10 - Price to buy car is £1500-2200, 64k - 75k miles

25 is the age at which car insurance gets considerably cheaper here, they assume any male under 25 is out driving with the intention to kill someone or themselves

Based on this, what car would you go with? Might as well save a bit more for the suzuki swift right?

120 hp
with turbo'd engine

And you won't be able to get insurance no matter how awesome rascals are, because no-one will insure a new driver on a "commercial" vehicle.

OP, you're looking for a small engine. No bigger than 1.4.
No turbos, or any other kind of excitement.
No mods AT ALL. Zero.
Swallow your pride and avoid anything that looks or, even sounds like it might be "sporty".

You ideally want an alarm AND immobiliser.
Not much you can do about where you live, but keeping it in a garage sometimes costs more than keeping it on a drive. Check before you pull the trigger.

If you're doing this online (you should be), try putting in a variety of things that sound close for your job.
Just one word difference can save you hundreds of notes a year.
You can save more pooonds by agreeing to have black box monitors fitted to your car. Don't know about you, but that shit creeps me the fuck out.

Suggestions:
>Fiesta
>Polo
>Fabia
>Corsa
>Ka

I'm paying a grand a year for a 1.6 140bhp Fiesta at 22 with 6 months' experience and 0 (zero) NCB. Would have been £800 if I accepted black box cuckery

>1.6 140bhp Fiesta
>1.6 140bhp
That's just asking for it.
You'll need a smaller engine, preferably

A grand for my first year of driving isn't that bad, it's not great but it's better than most young drivers get in much slower cars.

Just to note, I had my dad's 2004 1.25 75bhp Fiesta for my first 6 months (replaced it when I got a decent job that needs a lot more driving) and paid £1400. I'm paying 400 quid less for a car with nearly twice as many horsepowers

Would recommend the punto I enjoyed the shit out of mine. Lowered with wide wheels and spacers you will be out manoeuvring most comparable shitboxes. Like others iit have said though new Suzuki Swifts are neat little hatches. The 1.3 will surprise you.

mx5, unless youre the type of guy who wants to impress teens by doing wheelspins in maccies car park in some shit hatchback

Fucking L O L
The punto is without a doubt the worst shitbox you can buy, they are typical Italian shit. They are not known for anything good, having had the unpleasant experience of driving them over the last 8years. I mean the new ones are okay as they just drive like every other cheap hatchback made these days. The old ones though, Jesus save the poor owners, electric faults ALL the time, mechanically made of cheese. Gearboxes and clutches fail pretty much after 60k, heads are known to be very leaky and that's being pleasant. Brake line disintegrate due to being made out of the lowest grade material available, and if you do have any sort of pedal feel the brakes just don't work, master cylinders are know to leak.

CITY MODE STEERING IS CANCER! The fact this mode can be accessed over 10mph should be the reason these cars should be banned.

Owning and driving these cars is similar to liking yaoi hentai, you are a flat out gay and you want everyone to know you got fucked by the other bigger gay men.

Just don't buy it.

I need a 4-5 seater

First car at 24 last year was a 75hp 1.4 206. Got it insured for £900~ Looking at getting a volvo wagon next, hopefully a 240 or 7 series.

Put your parents as secondary named drivers on your insurance, mate. That brings it down by hundreds. If you haven't already done that.

are you talking out of your ass?
I have this beauty since over 70 k km and has to only replace the clutch at 170 k because of wear
and the exhaust because I rekt it doing a S I K K jump

>CITY MODE STEERING IS CANCER! The fact this mode can be accessed over 10mph
The fact you just mentioned this means you know shit about it.
City mode automatically disables itself above 20km/h.

>are you talking out of your ass?
No I'm not.

20km/h is 12mph... Also they don't disable, stop making up shit.

Puntos are shit, you are just mad that you have to live with one on a daily basis.

>20km/h is 12mph... Also they don't disable, stop making up shit.
lolwtf, you know more than me about my car?
The City mode on Grande Puntos/Evos/MY2012s disable automatically at speed.

>Puntos are shit, you are just mad that you have to live with one on a daily basis.
Someone is salty as fuck.

since you seem to have no clue what you're talking about it really seems like you are lol