JP Morgan Chase

Hello Veeky Forums I've got the chance to start working @ JP Morgan in March.

The Job is "Derivatives Analyst". I'm from other field of knowladge but they still want me.

What should I know? what should I expect?

Never worked for such a company. Tips? Experiences? Thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

glassdoor.com/job-listing/cib-bacc-otc-derivatives-analyst-jp-morgan-JV_IC2242084_KO0,32_KE33,42.htm?jl=2301409677
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is your other field?

Big firms like JPMorgan have extensive onboarding programs to help you learn the ropes.

Asian Studies. With an specially in focus in Religion & Philosophy departament-

how fcking rich are your parents?!?

They're poor as fuck. The Career is not worth much $$$ since nobody wants to study it. Also, I've paid it myself.

Bruh, I'm getting my MSc in engineering right now and I'd love to get an offer like that. Fucking asian studies? For real?

then how do you get a derivative analyst position, with no clue about what it is?

Yes. For real.

They hosted a breakfast for students of my university. I went there and. I've spoke a little bit about my life, my expectations and stuff.

I'm from Argentina and im going to work worldwide from here.

Yes, I dont have a single clue about what a derivative is, they know and they dont seem to care.

nice one breh, they'll show you the ropes as you go they're really just looking for potential.

congrats. you will always have a minimum 6 fig income waiting for you no matter what for the rest of your life if you stick it out for 2 years.

sky is the limit

The money is U$S 1200 per month.

Yes. I've imagine that.

Explain some more please.

So much jelly, why do you even care?

Well the usual since it's your first job, always follow procedures, report directly to your manager, focus on your responsibilites, know when and how to keep your mouth shut, never stop learning show genuine interest and differentiation in applying your field in areas of application where you can have an edge, constantly improve, don't take anything personally and be friendly but always stay professional. Since it's your first job, you'd have to focus on staying but have a progression path within the firm and don't be afraid to take risks when you can in terms training and always seek approval from your manager. training, find a mentor

Good tips. Thank you. Its not my first job tho. But my work experience is nothing like this.

I used to run a small business and worked doing translations from english to spanish as a freelancer for paypul money

>Study at best uni in country
>Country is shit so no firm like JP Morgan will ever network or recruit from it
>Major in financial maths for nothing and fucking asian studies majors are getting the jobs

Life isn't fucking fair

Actually none of the other ppl I've met studying my same career has achieved anything like this.

I just went for the free breakfast meal. Nobody respects ppl with asian studies...

its jp morgan!

analyst 80k
associate 120k
vp 300k

with bonuses, double the above

with jpm on ur resume you can go ANYWHERE.

That seems nice.

Where do you work? country too

That's the point, just don't undersell yourself and tagged off the bat, just say it's networking and believe you're hired for a reason, don't take anything for granted ad don't be overly grateful

Soo what your telling me you got a job for JP Morgan in a role you know nothing about in a highly competitive field?

thats it?

Conversion is like this

1 USD = 15.85 AR$S

yea no bud, i was half believing you until you said asian studies. ibd may hire shit major like that if you go to an ivy but derivatives no way, farthest they would go is probably a chemistry major. this is not an area you can read some powerpoint slides to get up to speed especially at a bulge bracket, they might as well get a golden retriever to do the job.

Sorry. Is true.

fuck. new i :(

This is what you'll be doing:
>glassdoor.com/job-listing/cib-bacc-otc-derivatives-analyst-jp-morgan-JV_IC2242084_KO0,32_KE33,42.htm?jl=2301409677

First year salary should be around $50k if you know what you're doing and don't get fired. Good luck, keep your head down, and do not under any circumstances fuck up or you're dead.

Thanks. That's a really helping link

surprised not a lot of people are offering decent advice. it's ops. you'll be learning monkey tasks from your teammates/boss(es). some of it's cool... a lot of it isn't glamorous. use it as a stepping stone... best of luck.

>aggressively hiring lib studies with no knowledge to work at their derivatives desk
bank stocks at ath
in the future documentaries this will be one of the comical moments like "how did no one see this bubble?"

What bubble?

>hired as "Derivatives Analyst" at JP fucking M with no qualifications whatsoever
BRO, IT'S A FUCKING PRANK BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY JUST HIRED YOU AS A JOKE. THEY'RE AL GOING TO LAUGH AT YOU!!!!!!! WHATEVER THEY'RE PAYING YOU IS JUST POCKET CHANGE TO THEM. I'D IMAGINE THEY'RE ALSO GOING TO GET CREATIVE AND USE YOU SOMEHOW TO FUCK WITH THE OTHER NEW HIRES, AS AN INITIATION. THESE FINANCE PEOPLE ARE SICK!!

I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU WATCH 'TRADING PLACES' STARRING DAN AYKROYD & EDDIE MURPHY, AND READ 'LIARS POKER' BY MICHAEL LEWIS. THESE SHOULD GIVE YOU A SENSE OF THE SOCIOPATHIC WORLD WHICH YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE IMMERSED IN.

BUT YEAH, MAYBE JUST CHECK OUT SOME AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL ACCOUNTS OF WORKING AT BIG IB's SUCH AS 'MONKEY BUSINESS' BY John Rolfe and Peter Troob (I DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, BUT 'ANALYST' ACTUALLY JUST SEEMS LIKE BEING A GLORIFIED KEK). THERE ARE LOTS OF THEM OUT THERE.

>hired as "Derivatives Analyst" at JP fucking M with no qualifications whatsoever
BRO, IT'S A FUCKING PRANK BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY JUST HIRED YOU AS A JOKE. THEY'RE ALL GOING TO LAUGH AT YOU!!!!!!! WHATEVER THEY'RE PAYING YOU IS JUST POCKET CHANGE TO THEM. I'D IMAGINE THEY'RE ALSO GOING TO GET CREATIVE AND USE YOU TO SOMEHOW FUCK WITH THE OTHER NEW HIRES, AS AN INITIATION FOR THEM. THESE FINANCE PEOPLE ARE SICK!!

I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU WATCH 'TRADING PLACES' STARRING DAN AYKROYD & EDDIE MURPHY, AND READ 'LIARS POKER' BY MICHAEL LEWIS. THESE SHOULD GIVE YOU A SENSE OF THE SOCIOPATHIC WORLD WHICH YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE IMMERSED IN.

BUT YEAH, MAYBE JUST CHECK OUT SOME AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL ACCOUNTS OF WORKING AT BIG IB's SUCH AS 'MONKEY BUSINESS' BY John Rolfe and Peter Troob (I DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, BUT 'ANALYST' ACTUALLY JUST SEEMS LIKE BEING A GLORIFIED C.U.C.Kp). THERE ARE LOTS OF BOOKS LIKE THESE OUT THERE.

They're hiring from different areas because the kids they're getting suck cock. I don't have a degree, but I've been in sales for years. My buddy is a VP at AXA; they've been trying to get me to jump ship for a while now because the new hires they're getting out of college can't hack it.

IDK if companies like JPMorgan operate differently in Argentina, but if this job is roughly equivalent to its US counterpart you are pretty fucked.

how come?

holy fuck I am so glad i skipped college and listened to that retard on here 4 years ago and went with my passion working a 9-5 sounds fucking horrible. Even the "good jobs" suck fucking dick wow.

YOU'RE NOT OP, YOU LYING FAGGOT.

I am. I'm from Argentina. I dont know why every time changes my id. But yeah. Maybe its regarding my ISP? I browse Veeky Forums since 2006 or so. Fuck, that was 11 years ago.

Once you start learning the ropes after a year ask for a relocation to us/europe. $1200 is a joke when you could make 5-10 times more in a non shitty country.

Do you think the requirements are high for relocation?

no fucking idea, every company is its own world
you'll have to ask (but not now, wait some months)

What do you need to hack it as a entry level derivatives analyst? Statistical tools and excel and math?

They are hiring anyone on Argentina to do Monkey tasks, don't worry about that.

Checkout linkedin and see all of their offers, they are all the same.

You'll just doin't some repetitive tasks until you learn more.

Dale caƱa, amigo.

Gracias Pa!

I'm awful at excel and math.

I think they're looking for "operative analysts" not so much assesing risk and other stuff.