When did the Pontiac Fiero go from being the butt of jokes to kind of cool and unique?

When did the Pontiac Fiero go from being the butt of jokes to kind of cool and unique?

>tfw you kinda want one

>tfw the V6 with the stock exhaust sounds better than some purebred sports cars.

When the second gen beat the corvette so badly they canceled it

it never stopped being a joke the majority still look at it like the piece of shit it is

I hate GM for killing Pontiac and the Fiero

My dad had one that sat in a barn for 10 years that we tried to fix up for when I was 16. It needed way too much. Fiero dreams dead.

I bought a Fiero before I knew the memes, probably the best car purchase I've ever made

My first car was a 1984 fiero I bought off ebay for $230

It needed a head gasket. cheap, easy fix.

4 cyl. Painted it with my dad. It was a fun car.

Didn't feel all that light. manual steering with not the best turn ratio. It was still a fun car to zip around in. You could take corners super fast-though the car would just get bogged down. Better rims/tires/suspension would of done wonders. It had the giant ass sunroof. I would go out on blaze runs. Awesome in the rain.

thought about doing a northstar v8 swap. It would bolt right to the tranny. Not really that hard a swap. Sold the car instead. Miss it sometimes. Think about getting another one some day. they are so cheap and you don't need to worry about rust, body panels are plastic. just a fun weekend cruising car.

We all do.

Honestly, most of GM does too.

they didn't kill it because they wanted to, but because they mismanaged it so horribly that Uncle Sam had them axe it come bailout time

It's not even a meme. That car is a giant fucking pile of trash. Looks okay though.

the first gen test mules with a turbo or a v8 killed the corvette too

bout the same time caitlyn jenner won that espn award

My goal in life is to become rich enough to build the Fiero the way it was meant to be. Better build quality, less retarded GM design and restrictions. There's two routes, one with a tuned original V6 and period-accurate tech or a modern take with the TT V6 from the ATS-V and "modern" tech like power steering, active aero, better tires and maybe even a motor that didn't burst into flames

gm shouldn't have been bailed out in the first place

Why were Pontiac and Saturn so much better than everything else GM did?

Because they went against the grain and tried new things. The problem with the American car industry was always stagnation and a reluctance to risk because of cost. It's cheaper to be anticompetitive than it is to create innovative technologies and walk on fresh earth. Pontiac was constantly shafted again and again, but still always tried to do things their way. Pontiac was truly one of the most bittersweet stories in the auto industry. It went from making things like the first Trans Am and the Fiero to selling rebadged Chevies and having it's throat slit. The potential was always there, and sometimes it amounted to something, but in the end it was choked by it's own collar and brought behind the barn.
is right.

I own an 85 fiero gt 4spd. It is not a fast car but it is a fun car. Mid engine makes you feel cool when driving it. 4/5

Just buy a NSX

I share this dream, and already own the Fiero to work towards it

>when I almost bought a fiero everyone here said it was a slow, shit handling, unfun ugly turd that requires a ton of repairs. Now apparently the meme is they are awesome. Went with a Z31 instead.

I have a Formula. Need to find a bodyshop to do repairs after being rear-ended this summer... frame is bent a little.

I'm slightest interesting in one just because I'm interested in a midship. Probably just gonna get an MRS. I've got plenty of time to save money and decide at least

How's owning a Z31? I love the look but know nothing about them

I had an 88 Fiero.
Red, with a black fiero pegasus on the hood.

I loved that fucking thing.
You can bald the shit out of the tires and take corners so hot, since all the weight is in the ass. I wrecked it. It's now sitting under a carport for the last 3 years...and I should probably scrap it.

I have thought about getting another one, and using that one for parts but I've realized
>small as fuck
>hard to find one that doesn't need a bunch of work
>hard to get in and out of
>so cramped to work on

I'd rather get an 80's firebird, because then you can at least fit a sound system in the back.

The 1988 Fieros are actually fairly decent. 4 wheel vented disc brakes and completely new front and rear suspension along with tweaked steering rack. Consider a 1988 Fiero GT with the V6 + 5 speed.

It's pretty good I guess. Have only had it for a few weeks. Everything works right now. People stare at it and wonder what it is or ask me about it, I've never seen before on the road either. Paid $1200 for it.

dude just look at the 3800 supercharge. lots of people have down those swaps.

An 84 Fiero wouldn't be nearly as light and sporty as the later models, nor would any of the inline-4 models because of the fucking Iron Duke. Every model year of the Fiero was better than the previous year because Pontiac pumped all the money right back into R&D for it.

>84 was the lightest year
>all 2m4's were iron dukes
>84 had better from a-arms.

But yes. 88 formulas are where it is at. the 4 speed muncie in the 2m4's are good for engine swaps.

I get the feeling it was worth it in the long run.

otherwise, today, we would have only 1 American carmaker left.

The big American Auto industry would have gone the way of the british car industry.

Ford would be the only monolithic American carmaker left, while GM died and got pieced out to other foreign companies, (or allowed itself to go belly up and die) while Chrysler eventually gets bought by Fiat like they have.

I really miss Pontiac

Fuck

>that feel when you will never live in a world where Pontiac makes modern American sports/super cars
>including genuinely good affordable sports cars

it's still a joke.
you have to take off the ferrari badge first tho
mr2 just does everything it tried to do so much better

>muh gm is a great company
>gm stops an american MR sportscar project to advance boomermobile with no self identity
how do people like this piece of shit company that needs a bailout every two weeks again?
Just let it die they're not even worthy competition to other companies.

Except all the MR2s have rusted into dust by now.

>ywn race GT-Rs and Lambos in your 2018 Pontiac Fiero
Feels bad man

just wait for one to show up at the junkyard and take the bumper. they are at my junkyard pretty often.

They're all going to get sold to China anyway.