NSX selling for 40k off MSRP

Nobody wants these. What went wrong?

nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/200463-Dealer-Listing-2017-Acura-NSX-Vin-19UNC1B00HY000675-200k-MSRP-buy-for-189k

nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/203449-Dealer-Listing-New-2017-NSX-Valencia-Red-Black-Vin-19UNC1B05HY000834-128-207

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=znSziiek0j8
youtube.com/watch?v=DcHHRyeX-M0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>UGLY
>NOT RWD
>HYBRID
>OVERPRICED

gee user i dont know

because it looks like it would be super fucking crazy when it (reportedly) drives like a very nice sedan until you start going fast, then it opens up. unfortunately for Honda, people that buy sports cars want it to feel like a race car at all times

>What went wrong?
the old NSX was the accessible supercar, this isn't accessible and looks too expensive

this too. they should have sold it for $80k-$100k, Corvette prices.

Then why did that sell like ass too?
also
>old NSX
>supercar
>mfw

this, the old nsx got beat by sw20 turbo

>Acura
That’s what went wrong desu. No one wants to pay Lamborghini prices for an Acura.

it sold for $60k in 1991, which is $110k in today's money

the new nsx is $160k+
case closed

Imagine what else you could get if you had 160-200k to spend.
>I want to go stupid fast
Huracan
>I want to god tier handling
570S
>I want a practical GT car
911 Turbo
>I want a track monster
Viper ACR

all they had to do was cut the hybrid bullshit, throw a manual transmission in there and WOW you have an amazing $90k car that goes fast and looks cool

The Hybrid system is part of what makes it go fast (AWD). you cut AWD you don't go faster you go slower and for 90k it could end up being slower than a Stingray.

then do what the americans do, stick a bigger engine in it

Honda has no bigger engines.

well then Honda is fucking retarded

You wanna pay Porsche money for a Honda?
The NSX came at a time where they had the greatest driver of the time in their roster to market it and as Honda was riding a wave of DOHC and Japanese sports car magic.

The NSX mk2 is at a point were Honda is a motorsports joke outside Japan, produced a pig fat ugly civic "type R" have no sports cars at all and the cox replacement flopped so bad I haven't seen one in 2 years.

Best option is to strip out the hybrid, simplify the materials, charge far less, accept Hondas market position is not premium.

>fwd/awd only
>only make I4/V6
>worst "luxury" car brand subsidiary
this has been established many times over

I mean, it's basically Acura's version of the Audi R8, right? Small, AWD luxury sports car. Except it's slightly slower and more expensive, and has a weird hybrid V6 instead of a V10. I dunno I haven't really looked into it since I'm not exactly in the market for one, but it seems like a no brainer to go with an R8 over one of these.

I don't see many R8s around either though to be honest. These cars are in kind of a weird niche market I think. Too impractical for a daily, better options for a weekend/fun/track car. Would only really appeal to someone with crazy amounts of disposable income, and then to someone like that you have to take into account they're also looking into Lambos, Ferraris, Mclarens, etc.

I have no illusions that the NSX should just be "1990 NSX 2.0" since the acronym DOES stand for "New Sports eXperimental." But still, there should be at least SOME hint of lineage and heritage in the design, and it should be affordable to at least some of the people who prefer Hondas over Ferraris. If the purpose of the NSX is to bring something new to the sports car world (the original was "like a supercar except it starts in the morning") than it should have been bringing meaningful hybrid performance in the 5-digit price range.
>most powerful NA V6 ever (8000 RPM screamer that makes 400 HP) similar to the original
>two electric motor on rear wheels with a meaningful output (at least 100 HP combined, 73HP out of three motors is just wasteful) with real torque vectoring
>big ass frunk that can fit lots of shit with plenty of interior storage because it's a Honda and should be practical as fuck
>RWD only and optional manual, with flat foot shifting so electric motors can give power in between shifts
>Corvette price range instead of supercar price range
>looks at least a little bit like the original instead of just a discount Lambo
It would be selling a fuckload better, I guarantee it.

the original NSX just looked like a cheap Chinese kit car Ferrari

also lol at you wanting to still pile it full of tech then price it at $60k

The only criteria the NSX had to get right and they blew it
>light
>small
>handle well

Why can only Mazda and Suzuki get their shit right?

you could buy an s class amg coupe with that money, porsche or whatever.
people spending over 100k for a car, care about the brand because it shows status. acura unfortunately is not that recognizable.

IT FAILED BECAUSE ITS NOTHING LIKE THE NSX

UNACCEPTABLE

DISHONORABLE

YOU BRING SHAME UPON YOUR FAMILY

they should just strip out the tech and make an asian viper

>cheap Chinese kit car Ferrari

Thats the MR2/Fiero

You just described every Japanese car

The turbo V6 is really under-stressed with the electric motors making quite a bit of the 570 total HP. who knows how much power they
could make if they cranked up the boost. who knows how overbuilt the engine even is.
>pig fat ugly civic "type R"
But it was a success and has almost no equals even killing its AWD opponents.
>have no sports cars at all
the Civic Type R is a sports car. people considered the Integra Type R a sports car so why not this?
it handles better than the original though. a miata for example isn't going to be as stable as the new NSX with 500 HP. more bulk = more stability.

How come Honda didn't make a road worthy HSV?

no they shouldnt

>New Sports eXperimental

it lives up to what its supposed to be

those are cheaper ones but the NSX is still a Ferrari rip off

naw

most Japanese cars rip off things other than Ferrari lel

>>pig fat ugly civic "type R"
>But it was a success and has almost no equals even killing its AWD opponents.
>>have no sports cars at all
>the Civic Type R is a sports car. people considered the Integra Type R a sports car so why not this
meant for

>it lives up to what its supposed to be
and failed

it failed because it is what its supposed to be. that's depressing

I dont think Honda ever expected it to be a hot seller

Would you rather have a GT350R with a 40k markup or an NSX with a 40k discount? Both are realistic

NSX at 40k discount is an insane amount of car for the money and this is coming from someone who would choose a GT350R over most super cars.

same reason nobody wants r35 gtrs

automatic, pigfat, v6, loses to the vette, etc

i saw a mclaren this morning guys

Acura is the problem. They built something that Honda never would.
They built just what you would expect from a German brand, over engineered shit that is very good but unnecessary and that makes the car very expensive to buy and maintain.

Because it:

>Isn't the HSV-10GT with a screamer of an engine
>Isn't an appropriate successor to the original, lightweight, NA, high-revving NSX

I'd even go so far as to say that if Honda DIDN'T give this the "NSX" name and called it something else, like the Honda GT or Honda Super Sports, people wouldn't compare it to the original and therefore wouldn't use the original as a benchmark or reason to not buy one.

Someone else in here said it right: if they gave it a V6 or V8 NA engine that revved to 10K and made at least 400BHP, made it manual only, and had next to no electronics (aside from the safeties that are everywhere these days because people can't drive), and made it as light as possible, it would:

1. Sell for cheaper
2. Sell better because of 1 and because that's what people want out of an NSX

There is one reason above all other so-called """"""reasons""""""

IT'S REALLY DISGUSTINGLY NASTY LOOKING, OLD AND FUDDY.

I mean just look at the fucking tail lights

>They built something that Honda never would

designed by a female that isn't japanese

Stick an S85 V10 in there and there you go, perfect screamin' road tearin' machine.

>expensive to maintain.
yea nah, you want expensive you maintain Europe is still your go-to place
youtube.com/watch?v=znSziiek0j8

The more I see it, the more I like how it looks. I think the big issue is

>it's not a track monster that finally surpassed the old as fuck GTR. It's pretty much dead even with it.
>it isn't light raw fun like the old NSX. They don't even offer a manual in it... which would be excusable if it were an all business track monster, but again it's not.
>it isn't truly exotic like a Ferrari. the interior in particularly is guilty of being way too economy car-ish

I wish Honda would just prioritize raw lightweight thrills, but I know full well if they don't can the thing entirely they're just going to double down on the heavy and complicated hybrid/electric tech.

I think if they'd it to compete with Lotus and the Boxter/Cayman that they'd have done much better.

>Mid engine
>RWD
>~400hp
> $70-80k

It's a honda. Nobody buys it for the badge.

The Type-R will save it!

>people wouldn't compare it to the original and therefore wouldn't use the original as a benchmark or reason to not buy one.
No one but people on Veeky Forums are doing that though. people bought all of the original's rivals over it too.

>V6 or V8 NA engine that revved to 10K and made at least 400BHP
>shit-ton of carbon fiber so its light
>Sell for cheaper
You are delusional. a Lotus Evora with 400 HP out of a generic Toyota V6 sells for 90k new. what you are talking about is not only make Honda Lotus Evora but give it a overly complicated engine that not even Ferrari would give most of their cars. that wouldn't be cheaper. it would be almost as expensive as an LFA on top of being slower than a Stingray. not a very productive use of Honda's time. at least shit in the NSX can trickle down to their other cars as Electric cars become more and more mainstream people are going to want just that, Electric cars and luckily Honda has set up the new NSX to go Fully-electric in the future as the market for those cars grows.

While ugly as fuck, at least the Type R delivers good performance for the price. It pulls as hard as the Focus RS, faster than the STI, and handles better than either of them. Also the seats and shifter are fucking spectacular.

i wish toyota didn't make the type r so god damn ricey looking

I guess they were just targeting the ricer wih money

I was talking about a Type R of the NSX you dummy. But yeah, despite being ugly the Civic Type R is a really amazing car.

>ok looking, better looking than the original
>not rwd and hybrid are the reasons why people hate the 918 too faggot
>not overpriced

>Viper ACR

Implying it's in production

R8s are really boring and ugly and the NSX isn't. Although the NSX might be a tiny bit slower maybe and cheaper, the hybrid system is worth it and it's way more daily driveable.

>not overpriced

>original NSX 2/3rds the price of a Ferrari
>new NSX 2/3rds the price of a Ferrari

>Acura
>Honda
We all know its the same company, but they focus on different markets, and Acura is the one to blame for the failure of the NSX since they developed it.
When you compare with Ferrari, Lamborghini and Mclaren sure, but i was talking about german cars, like Porsche, Mercedes and Audi.

>but i was talking about german cars, like Porsche, Mercedes and Audi.
I don't think its going to be as expensive to maintain as any of those besides the 911 Turbo. Honda is a shitbox company, those guys are not. shitbox companies refine things until they are cheap and easy to mass produce.

Being a hybrid isn't a knock for a supercar. Hybrid systems are a huge advantage here. Putting power to all wheels can help you off the line.
The issue with the NSX is that its just not that great compared to other supercars. Its boring and doesn't live up to its predecessor so the name doesn't really mean much.
Its not the 80s or 90s where everything is still slow as fuck. Anyone can walk into a dealer and get a V8 Mustang thats fast, or a Corvette, or a Hellcat, any number of Audis, BMWs, or Mercedes right off the lot. All of them outrageously fast.

So if came down to it and you were going to spend in excess of $100,000 on a vehicle what does the NSX really offer? You can get a well equipped 911 for that, and the 911 has an insanely gorgeous and comfortable interior too. You could get a used McLaren, a dozen different head turning Ferraris, things actually exotic and worthy of being on a poster in your bedroom as a dream car.

Go park an NSX next to a Lambo and see if the Lambo owner gives a fuck. He won't.

But the NSX is not cheap or mass produced. I'm pretty sure a NSX is as expensive to maintain as a Porsche 911 Turbo, Audi R8 or even a AMG GT

No, the parts in it are. parts get refined so they are. a 3 L turbo V6 based on Honda's economy engines isn't going to be as expensive to maintain as a twin turbo V8 from Benz or a V10 from Audi.

Heard it was designed by a woman

>IT'S REALLY DISGUSTINGLY NASTY LOOKING, OLD AND FUDDY.
so it looks like an NSX.
got it

>Being a hybrid isn't a knock for a supercar. Hybrid systems are a huge advantage here. Putting power to all wheels can help you off the line.
You were actually being sensible until
>Its New, its Sporty, its eXperimental so the New Sportscar eXperimental name doesn't really mean much

>Its not the 80s or 90s where everything is still slow as fuck.
I agree, and living up to the original would definitely mean being slow as an old man passing a kidney stone.
>Anyone can walk into a dealer and get a V8 Mustang thats fast, or a Corvette, or a Hellcat, any number of Audis, BMWs, or Mercedes right off the lot. All of them outrageously fast.
anyone in the 90s could walk into a dealer, buy a base model C4 corvette and be just as fast as that guy's 90s NSX.

>Go park an NSX next to a Lambo and see if the Lambo owner gives a fuck. He won't.
I don't think even most corvette owners at the time would've cared if you parked the original NSX near them let alone Diablo owners.

look at this, it has aged so well. i love it. i love how its smaller than the red car behind it

There's one in my neighborhood driven by someone that appears to be 120 years old and parks sideways in the handicapped spot of Trader Joes a few times a week. Strangely there's also an LC500 fitting the same description, also the only one I've seen. Were these cars made for people over 100 years old?

Suzuki sports car when? God I'd love a sports car with two sticks in it.

Well because in the modern economy people under 50 can't afford a car period.

True, maybe those guys stashed away their enlistment bonus from World War 1 and with interest had enough to finally buy some angry robot looking Japanese sports car that weighs 5000lbs and is slower than every competitors offering by a large margin

If i saw a foxy old woman driving the new NSX i would eat her dusty puss.

Yes, maybe the engine is not, what about the Hybrid system and batteries? Do they last forever?

They don't last forever in the Prius or the Clarity and those cars don't seem to be as expensive as a 3 series to maintain.

>What went wrong?
Acura. They are a problem in general. No other car in their lineup are considered sports cars despite whatever bullshit they try pull glorifying their 2.4L ILX/TLX shitbox. The only other sports car is overpriced and out of reach by Acura previous Acura loyalist. So none of the Acura fans can buy it or feel included with the NSX dna, and the people that can afford it would rather just buy a Porsche or Ferrari.

But the NSX is not a Prius either is it? Its a very complex drivetrain and hybrid system. complex=price. Batteries on a super car are very expensive since their cost is not the focus, but their weight.
The Mercedes GT engine can also be found in many more regular AMG models. Not that it makes it any cheaper.
My point is, you expect a Mercedes or an Audi to be expensive to maintain, they are usually complex cars and over engineered cars, thats what they are known for. While Honda was supposed to keep it simple and real, not making a car that is even more complex than the german super cars.

>Its a very complex drivetrain and hybrid system
So was the Prius when it came out relative to its rivals. no one was doing what Toyota was doing at the time and they did it cheap because that's what shitbox makers do (especially japanese) the Prius was a revolution.
>Batteries on a super car are very expensive since their cost is not the focus, but their weight.
"A super car" not This super car. it weighs 3800 lbs. the places they tried to save weight were the chassis and carbon fiber bits in the car's structure.
>Mercedes
Mercedes hasn't be inexpensive outside Germany for 30 or 40 years. even Volkswagon is more expensive to maintain than Honda.
>While Honda was supposed to keep it simple and real, not making a car that is even more complex than the german super cars.
That's the beauty of it. its more complex but (not) as expensive. a C4 ZR1's LT5 engine was complex. it costed nowhere near the equivalent cars it was being compared to nor was it as expensive to maintain.

Germans just have a different way of making cars than the Japs because they know their name alone can sell anything.

Comparing a Prius with the NSX is like comparing a Fiat with a Ferrari just because they both have combustion engines in it and are italian.
> the places they tried to save weight were the chassis and carbon fiber bits in the car's structure
Sure they just dropped regular batteries on their super car but yet tried to saved weight on the chassis and structure.. Seems legit because that should do the trick
>Germans just have a different way of making cars than the Japs because they know their name alone can sell anything.
The people who buy german like their over complicated cars, that why they buy them and love the brand. There is also people who like Hondas, and they buy them because they just keep things simple and reliable.
So who is going to buy the NSX? They are out of their depth. It was a disappointment for the Honda buyers because its not really a Honda. It's not a driving focused car, light with a vtec engine that revs up to 8k rpm with a manual gearbox, its just an over complicated computer with wheels.
Since its not targeted to Honda fanboys, why should the regular rich guy go for a NSX instead of any other super car in the market? It's not the fastest, it doesn't offer better driving experience than its competition nor the best looks, its not any cheaper.

>$50k difference is nothing

thats a whole new corvette basically

>Comparing a Prius with the NSX
I don't think you understood me there. The Prius was complex relative to other cars in its category and it was reliable and for the better.
>dropped regular batteries on their super car /tried to saved weight on the chassis and structure.. Seems legit
Yea, its sensible. you don't need to do maintenance on the chassis so that's where you should go to save weight.
>people who like Hondas, and they buy them because they just keep things simple and reliable.
The NSX is auto and almost drive-by wire. its as simple as it gets to own and operate. people who buy Hondas are not allergic to technology itself and if people hated anything remotely complex Tesla wouldn't be as big as it is and no one would be excited for Auto-pilot cars.
>It was a disappointment for the Honda buyers
It was a disappointment mostly for Veeky Forums. Honda buyers could refer to anyone from pizza delivery drivers to my Mother.
>because its not really a Honda
Is Honda not a pioneering company? seems perfectly inline. have a look at the beginning of this video for example.
youtube.com/watch?v=DcHHRyeX-M0
>It's not a driving focused car, light with a vtec engine that revs up to 8k rpm with a manual gearbox
Honda doesn't appeal to those who want things like how it was in their day. they only look forward and maybe you think you were a fan but just happen to be so of what they were doing at the time and not of them in general now that they moved on. most cars today need computers to even put 400 HP to the ground.
>Since its not targeted to Honda fanboys,
The fact that it doesn't appeal to the average "Honda fanboy" is a huge plus for the rich actually (not wanting to be associated).
>doesn't offer better driving experience than competition nor best looks, its not any cheaper.
That sums up the original perfectly though.
Its also much faster than a 50k corvette where as the old one wasn't. so you got a whole corvette worth of extra performance.

>better looking than the original
LOL

because it wasn't designed by japs
because it's a frankenstein of 3 restarted design efforts
because the designer is some cali sloot (she thiqq tho)

>fat
>heavy
>over complicated
>no steering or pedal feel
its not the worst supercar honda have made its just really boring

they basically took all the mistakes in translating the cr-x to the cr-z model and did it with the NSX. Also Ayrton Senna is dead so he can't tell them how to make it into a decent supercar.

>no pop-up headlights

no wonder it sold like trash

Its garbage just like the original.

V6 from an Accord thats been retuned.

>dealer spec

That's why it's 40k off. Nobody wants to buy a new 200k car off the lot customized by the dealer, they want to tailor it to their exact specifications. Anyone else will just buy used, that's why those two cars are going for lightly used price.

Only Nissan can make japanese supercars

>asking 200k for an NSX

They were fucking 60-90k brand new in the 90's what the fuck happened?

...that lose to a pony car

no it didn't

I dig the front but I'm not a big fan of the rear.

>it's another "Prez/poo/ samefags after getting BTFO" episode

lol, I got him on a leash

this post caused a tism tantrum

>he keeps throwing a tantrum
>the same tantrum he has been throwing for almost 4 years
>4 years of asshurt because GM can't compete

it's almost tragic, guess this is what happens when people get cyberbullied

lol!

>mazda
The Rx-8 was a massive failure, what the fuck are you smoking?

I like it when you suffer Prez/poo/

go ahead, your samefagging is a cry in the dark, it's futile. I want you to post when I order you to do it

more, continue sperging, I like it when you cry

How come this guy always get baited by Alphonse and S/o/viet?