/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General - DED Edition

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156319.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7059
youtu.be/5YzTAC61Us8?list=PL71dNzRb1DuMHj2tID77yj8Y08kkTii3W&t=588
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I really wish this game could at least support 100 dwarves for more than 20 years before fps death. Kinda sucks you always have to play with baby fortresses.

Also, check this awesome fortress;
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156319.0

Are sieges based on population or just wealth? I know you need to change the pop cap for titan attacks. Can you change everything for a lower population? Or is barony locked to 100 dwarves?

bumping with art

Play the older versions.

>dwarves down in hell turning into husks from wicked soot only located above-ground
>some soot covered squashes they were eating were poisoning them and turning them into monstrous killing machines
Fucking metal, also amazing complexity.

And soon you can actually poison weapons yourself.
That is if toady isnt a fat frog

dead

It's pretty late in the Americas right? I assume that's where the heart of the player base is.

1:23 AM PST here. I'm wondering why its so hard to find these fucking packs for older DF versions. Like all the forum links are broken. I'm looking for the modest mod pack for 34.11. I found it on my other computer but I think I had to manually look for it on the file repo.

It's also morning in Europe, so people with duties are in work/school and NEETs, being nocturnal creatures, are still asleep.

Modanon here, still busy with life but soon i'll get back to modding DF again.

Any modding requests? I'll do anything that you guys would like me to do. (as long as its possible to make)

Should be worth mentioning that i'll work on the stuff that was requested in earlier threads first before moving on to current stuff so fulfilling your request might take a while.

>(Toady One) Things are still a little rough and square-ish in parts, but we're calling it for kobold caves. The new entity animal framework is set up, though I've only used it for kobolds. It's pretty basic -- you can compel an entity to use creatures that either belong to a list of classes (classes can also be excluded), or by their token, and you can set them to either use matching animals from the environment or to get a free environment-independent starting population as with the current domestic creatures. You can optionally override the mount/wagon puller/etc. roles defined in the creature definition, setting them to always or never be used for those roles. Kobolds use their new entity animal definition to keep as pets any creatures in the surrounding environment that are in the new poisonous class which do not have the new mammal class. In my test cave, this led to a scary pit room filled with giant cave spiders and rattlesnakes.

Does this mean mounts soon?

>you can compel an entity to use creatures that either belong to a list of classes (classes can also be excluded), or by their token, and you can set them to either use matching animals from the environment or to get a free environment-independent starting population as with the current domestic creatures

Am I the only one who thinks it isnt that exciting?

I done flooded ma dorf fort. Everyone is safe, but the depot is now under several layers of water.
If I forbid it, will that stop caravans from pathing to it?

I just play 34.11 all day because I'm obsessed with FPS death avoidance. Its kind of serine knowing that df-hack is always available, moddest mod is updated, and everything functions the same as always. I'm released from the suffering of waiting for updates. Since Toady doesn't give a fuck about performance updates things will never get better with new updates I fear. Hell single core processing is getting worse recently in favor of having like 16-20 core cpu's.

Migrants have arrived!

I'm a Legendary Cheese Maker. Lead me to the fort's cheese factory!

What if we made a pastebin with links to important tools/mods for a heap of versions. 0.34.11 with modest mod is a great version for toasters, for example but like you said it can be a pain to find links for nowadays.

Are you the same guy that was working on a Dark Souls/Monster Girl mod a couple of years ago?

Mates, how do I know if a male dog is impregnating the females?
Any tips on making my dogs do this for sure?

put them in the same area together.

>Mates, how do I know if a male dog is impregnating the females?
They have to be on adjacent tiles.

>Any tips on making my dogs do this for sure?
Fear not, soon you will be worried about making them NOT do this.
Anyway, put them in one pasture. To reap extra benefits, train them as war dogs and put them at the entrance. Soon you will have anti-thief platoon of war dogs.

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7059

is the link to accel-moddest 34.11

>accelerated modest mod

Thanks guys

Just started this game about 5 days ago. Been following the quickstart guide so far.

The hardest thing so far has been understanding how the trading works. I got a bud of mine that helps me out a bunch, though he's sleeping right now.

Another big struggle I've had is losing people to fey moods (I think this is their path to become legendary craftdwarves or somethin like that).

I've only restarted my game once so far. Losing was fun

Also, my dwarves aren't using the training weapons I made for them I think, all my recruits became Wrestlers... Not that I mind, I find that entertaining hah

check Therapist and make sure your dog isn't gay. If it's straight then just pasture it in the same place/room with the females and wait.

Just make sure you buy one bin of each type of cloth and thread from the first caravan and a couple of metal bars and you're good for moods. If there's bones in the mood and he's stuck just slaughter a few more cats, sometimes they want more bones than you have.

dont waste your time with training weapons, if you're unlucky they'll get attached to them and you wont be able to stop them from using them later. just make a few wood/bone crossbows from a Bowyer's workshop at the start and work on a metal industry once you have bedrooms for ~100 dwarves, dining room, nobles, hospital set up.

Why are the silly humans attacking my fortress? I've never done anything wrong to them. They also arrived with the "vile force of darkness" message. The hell?

Oh, and one more thing - keep in mind that pregnancies last a while. If you have 20 dogs, 10 males and 10 females, and then decide to geld males, don't be surprised if a few months later you will have 40 dogs. This might become quite a problem, unless you're a heartless monster willing to butcher cute and cuddly puppers.

Is it the actual human civ, or goblins with captured humans in their ranks?

Check your civilizations screen (i forget the hotkey, c maybe?) and see if you're at war with them. Maybe your civ was at war with them before you embarked, or you pissed off one of their caravans.

Thanks again mates. Heading to bed now, 6 AM for me. See you all

Those are progressive humans that identify as goblins.
Be glad that they didn't decide to be attack helicopters.

The screen doesn't really tell me anything. Well, I'm not complaining really, this is a huge siege. Gonna get interesting

>Oh, and one more thing

>Any tips on making my dogs do this for sure?
mod the gay away

A shitload of marble blocks, gold and wood, give me an idea for a topside fortress.

Also my dorfs are nothing personnel kids, pic related, a typical artifact.

Breed giant elephants and make a huge soap tower with a waterfall in the middle.

I don't have giant elephants and the elves are dead.

Build a Taj Mahal to celebrate the elves being dead.

Turns out these humans were a huge tribe of fucking savages. They had rings and other trinkets made out of human bones.

Ah the fortress entrance guy, do the ballistae work as intended?

It took them some time to get everything ready, also my dumb marksdwarf thought he had to charge at them directly, but was caught in the line of fire of the ballistas.
It was pretty devestating when they did hit them, some arrows went straight through their ranks, killing multiple humans. It's really hard to get the timing correctly though. If you wait too long for example your siege operators will get thirsty quickly and only fire one volley, before fucking off to your dining hall, while the entrance gets overrun.

They were snatched goblin slaves.

I only realized now how good my embark is for invasions. Necromancer tower nearby, so armies of undead heading my way, the yearly goblin siege and now also hordes of human slaves.

>t. potato
I've been playing df2016 on i5 4670k just fine, with forts all the way up to 200 dorfs. Closest thing to fps death was ~30 fps on a very cluttered map.

i5-2400.

Anyone up for some magma challenge?

1. Stairway to hell
Embark on volcano. Make the entrance to your fort a staircase in the middle of volcano pipe filled with magma. Bonus points for using windows.

2. Warm welcome
Implement a defensive system that uses only magma and flow control.

3. Magma city
Variant a: Build your fortress directly on top of the magma sea. Bonus points for using magma channels instead of walls to separate rooms.
Variant b: Build an aboveground Venice-like city, but with magma instead of water.
Variant c: Build a fortress completely submerged in magma, from sides, below and above. Bonus points for using windows.

4. Magma calendar
Build a device that utilizes magma to show current month. Bonus points for showing days.

5. Onsen episode
Replace every single body of water with magma. Bonus points for making magma rivers actually flow. Bonus points for making whole thing as inconspicuous as possible.

I never get cool shit.

That never happened to me.

wut, how is that possible? hair is not targetable

Undead

Was it revived by a necromancer or an evil mist?
Corpses re-growing their bodies isn't that weird, but doing it from just hair is pretty extreme.

Necromancer.

Also while undead siege is underway, this fucker is meditating on death.

>you wont be able to stop them from using them later
Don't know why this meme won't die. Weapon attachment doesn't prevent you from assigning different weapons. Dwarves will use whatever their uniform tells them too, as specific or as general as you make it, irrespective of any gear attachment.

What is better, leggings or greaves?

greaves are heavier/more protective

That's been a thing for as long necromancers have. When you butcher an animal it makes a hair product with as many parts as the animal had with hair on them, which can be raised by a necromancer. Toady has said that he doesn't consider reanimated hair to be a bug even though it wasn't explicitly intended.

It isn't much weirder than a reanimated skeleton if you think about it.

I wasn't surprised about reanimated hair. I thought it would be invincible as always.

Oh, yeah. That bug. It's supposed to be fixed, although I occasionally see people posting about unkillable body parts, hair included, so it seems that it's only partially fixed.

I had a seemingly-unkillable undead echidna in this fort, although I think that was less the hair bug and more to do with its rolling into a ball ability

It's for the better. Also armed necro zombies are a lot more manageable now. 3 dwarfs in full iron managed to deal with 30 zombies in a few raids. You just have to manage their stamina, as they get exhausted.

The hair and skin being invincible is fixed... unless it's just a severed HEAD hair or HEAD skin, which IS invincible. At least, that's my experience from my reanimating evil mountain fortress.

Zombies don't use abilities, all they do is bum rush fucking livies.

>watch lets plays
>oh we have galena thats silver and copper I'm pretty sure!
>malachite WHATS THAT?
>oooo garnerite! I think that's just lead
>the iron ores are magnetite, tetrahedrite, and hematite I'm pretty sure

I don't understand how people can be wrong about ores/alloys literally whenever they bring them up. Like you think you'd get lucky a few times, but nope! Whenever someone says something in the lets play they're just super fucking wrong.

It really grinds my granite.

even if it died in rolled-up form? I have no idea 2bh, I just thought that was the most reasonable explanation, since an echidna is significantly larger and fleshier than the things that are normally unkillable

Who is that elf?

youtu.be/5YzTAC61Us8?list=PL71dNzRb1DuMHj2tID77yj8Y08kkTii3W&t=588

Is there any way to create a stockpile with stuff to melt other than designating a dumping zone?

Dfhack plugin.

>Been playing DF for months
>Can't even build a proper good looking fort

I want to die, does anyone have any decent example of Forts? I always just build really gross shit that doesn't look appealing to the eyes.

Why are all my dorfs becoming wrestlers? They're fully geared.

Why can lungfish fly

Doesn't this plugin just mark all items in a stockpile for melting? I want to achieve the opposite - have all items marked for melting go to a certain stockpile.

they seem to learn skills that class them as "wrestlers" first
if you check, they probably have "novice fighter/novice dodger" etc. but only dabbling in their weapon skill
the weapon skill should improve over the next season or two and then they'll take a profession name from it

You wan't to train dwarfs? Set melting stockpile to have only low quality items or something.

*want

my fort looks weird too friend, don't worry.

>Surgeon gets mood and wants to become a Bone Carver

>Surgeon is also an Accomplished Gelder

I really, really, really like this image.

Why does my King Consort need an office and a dining room? I thought King Consorts had no requirements.

He probably has another position as well, but you can't see it, because the king consort title overrides it.

Not one that shows up in my nobles screen. He already shares his royal bedroom and dining room with the queen, so I just gave him a second chair that partially overlaps my queen's overkill throne room. Two artifact pieces of furniture counteracts the penalty for overlapping rooms, and since the king consort's is much smaller and doesn't encompass the second artifact in the room it shouldn't cause jealousy in my duke or queen.

What is he gonna build with this shit.

we can't even make a guess unless you tell us which profession he has and what workshop he claimed

A statue.

Never knew that stonefall traps can be so satisfying.

What an asshole.

Not worth

Why can't magma crabs be tamed in vanilla? I'm modding that, there's no way I can pass up on machine gun crabs

I've seen zombie dragons breathe fire on at least two occasions.

>kill forgotten beast
>my cook makes a masterwork sausage out of its intestines

Dwarf Fort is the most comfy game