Engine size

I just bought a 76 gran torino, and i want to fix it up for my father who loves the car. Vehicle needs a new engine but problem is all the cards with engine size have faded. is there anyway to determine to size to buy a new one or does the size not matter?

probably the best option is to find a 400M or 351 of some kind. both are good engines.
400m is cheap to build, and 351 have more aftermarket stuff for them

would it matter if the one i put in isn't the same size as the original. example if it is a 351 and i put in a 400 would it hurt the transmission or anything?

Just have a look at your make and model on either wikipedia or a car wiki and check out which engines it had in it. If you want to stay original you can source one of those engines.

How many miles has the car got on it? and is it auto or manual? if it's high the trans might need a bit of a rework or even a replace if it's been thrashed because the previous owner thought they were Starsky and Hutch up in this shit. Really depends though.

Honestly though it's an old Ford, which means big engine bay and long front portion, so most anything will fit in that motherfucker.

no it probably came with one anyway. take a pic of the engine and show us. its all bolt in, same mounts and so on

Depends on what is in it already. If he's got a Windsor, he should just stick a 351w in it. Better aftermarket and it'll bolt right up to the current c4 or c6 in it already

its probably just a 2bbl 351

if you have the vin you can find out what it has or find some casting numbers on the engine

i agree, 351 for better aftermarket, and 400m for being a cheap ass who wants cheap power.

Tru that. I'm working all from what I know in theory of US engines so I'm just going for the widest possible parameters to be helpful.

Windsor will do the job regardless of what it had in it anyway though, I agree. Them ol' pushrods can still git 'er dun.

Well it also depends on budget and what you're starting from. I've got a small block pattern c6 in my truck, and the cheapest way to make okay horsepower in my position according to myself was to get an explorer 302 and convert to carb. I've already sold the gt40 intake, but for not much I'll be able to make about 320hp.

That being said I will have a little work done for the heads.

Put an LS in it. An ecu. A new AC in it. Upgrade the brakes and suspension. Have a reliable car.

That's totally unnecessary for a cruiser and way expensive for just a swap. Especially for a dude with not much car knowledge.

Yeah true. I've got no idea what the common Ford and GM blocks go for in the US, like I said I'm just working from what I can find on the internet.

If you want an awesome car then the price is the price. If you want a super unreliable old as fuck shit box, then fix up the old car.

price isnt an option i just dont want it to blow up or break anything when i fire it up. the car only had 70000 miles on it before the owner let it sit for 10 years.

this is the only good pic i have currently and it is too dark to get a better one

>Rebuilding a modified or Windsor
>Somehow unreliable
I don't think you understand these topics.

There's a lot of info out there, there's also a million different motors you can put in there.

You and your father deserve to die. Gran Cuckino

well you are a positive one.

It's been a little while since I worked on one, but that looks like a 351W to me,

from all the research ive been doing thats what i was thinking but i wasnt 100 percent sure, and i was worried if i put a 400 in it that it would be right.

wouldnt be right

Its a 351W. 5.8L if you're metric.
Not to be confused with a 351M or 351C. Although you can put those in it. Big block 460 was also an option that year.
Options are endless. Easiest efi upgrade would be to gut a foxbody mustang. I'd suggest 88 california/89-93. 88 non California and pre87 efi was speed-density and sucked ass. Mass-air from the later years is easier to modify.
Or just stay carb'd and throw on an edelbrock 4 barrel intake with a holley- 490-550 cfm with vacuum secondary if you stay with the automatic (suggested).
If you just want a reliable car, you can use a good motor from any 289/302/351w donor, I'd stay away from 260's.
Although the smaller engines are based on the same block, they're not identical. Different balance so harmonic balance and flexplates are different. Different intake manifold. Exhaust manifolds will bolt on but because of different block widths the exhaust will not line up without being bent closer together of cut/welded slightly. Some other minor part differences so know what it entails before you change.

i was looking at 351w and c, a 460 would be if i wanted to hot rod it correct?

How do you know it's not a 302?

the 351W has a slightly taller deck

Holy shit, is it this one?

bruh Starsky and Hutch replicas are everywhere

I guess you're right.

Same one FYI.