I found an '01 volvo s60 with the T5 engine and 5spd gearbox with 143k miles for $2300 bux

i found an '01 volvo s60 with the T5 engine and 5spd gearbox with 143k miles for $2300 bux
it's silver and looks like it's in good shape. it has a dumb tailpipe and all the badges were removed so i assume it was owned by a boy racer at some point

opinions on these cars? common problems?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo-maintenance-schedules.html/amp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I too am interested in this. I recently found a S60R for sale near me with 130k miles. Sort of want, but don't know much about the cars.

more expensive to own than a jap car.

Just got an 05 s60r with 150k miles and the cylinder was cracked. Tore it apart thinking it was blown head gasket because of the symptoms but found out once I got inside that previous owner just gunked it up with gasket 'fixer' to flip it

Recommend doing a thorough check if you're interested (mine was losing a tiny bit of compression even with the gasket sealer so that would've at least shown up if Id tested before buying)

>>Fluids (check levels/color; oil/coolant started mixing to chocolate milk with cylinder crack)
>>Belts should've been replaced by now just make sure all service is up to date
>>Wheels/tires

As with every car just check it all and don't pay more than what makes sense. I had an 04 R with 80k that I took care of and ran without issue. Swapping that engine into the 05 currently hoping to get another 100k out of it but it's really all in the maintenance

How did you like the s60r? I was considering it as a winter car because finding a reasonably priced unfucked-with WRX was nigh impossible.

awd is a meme. just get a snow tires.

my dad owned a 1st gen s60 and had to replace almost every engine sensor, but he said it wasn't that hard or expensive

I loved it really looking forward to getting the engine swapped so I can get back on the road.
We
I wouldn't get an R exclusively as a winter car even though it does have awd, the relatively low ground clearance makes me hesitant to take it thru more than a couple of inches of snow for fear of hitting a hole or something else I can't see. Not a problem with stop and go (torque will make sure you move and brakes will stop you unless everything's ice).

Suspension is a little stiff for offroading and again the clearance puts me off from trying much more than driving through a field. I think the awd is more for limited slip in corners (gahdamn that roadholding) and takeoff.

Not to say it doesn't work in the winter, I originally bought mine as an all season car, but in VA there's not much to worry about other than a little snow now and then. But it's not a truck either obviously so I'd just be careful.

As for the inside and other shit it's great. Average a little over 20mpg on the highway, a little under 20 in the city. Usually come with a bunch of things standard (power windows, sunroof, heated seats)

Overall
/10
>>Not the fastest but you'll be able to take a bunch of other cars on the street (if you're into that)
>>Nice interior compared to other cars I've had
>>Usable in winter but I personally don't take it out in bad winter weather

This is just for the R though, I think clearance is higher on the 2.5t but you lose awd, but I'm not certain

Wrx is a whole different machine, but I prefer the Volvo for the 'luxury' at the cost of speed as I hardly ever go over 110 and thats on the interstate

Thanks bro. I heard the clutch is a little hard to get used to, any comment on that? How is it in terms of reliability?

My current winter beater is a 98 lexus es300. The traction control and ABS have been broken for three years, and the ten year old all-seasons are practically bald. I managed to have a lot of fun in the snow with it. Never let me down. I even drove it home through the worst blizzard our region has seen in a decade and it had no problem really.

So i think the s60 would be a definite upgrade. I just want something thats comfy and somewhat fun to drive. Im not crossing any tundras on my way to work. Seems like it has your blessing. Im still hoping i find a good WRX but the s60 is tempting. Plus its more unique and im a sucker for special badges.

they're pretty solid cars
their biggest problem was the automatic gearboxes shitting the bed, but since you found a (rare) manual you should be fine
some of the earlier p2 volvos had electronic issues but it shouldn't be hard to find those

Only problem with the clutch I had was it was a little too.. fluid I wanna say. The pedal was a little stiff (which I'd prefer over one that moves too freely) but the weight was the same almost all the way through without any real 'bite' feeling. You'd feel the car move when you let off but it wasn't like a distinct moment I could feel the clutch engage.

Didn't take any longer to get used to though and after you get the pedal position in your subconscious it wasn't a problem at all really.

I never wore the clutch down too much, and the one on my '05 was a month old before the engine crapped out so I can't say much about prolonged use, but looking through forums before and just now I'm seeing people quote anywhere from 20k miles to 200k on the stock clutch. Slave cylinders busting seems to be the most common cause and you have to replace the clutch because of the fluid in there.

So the clutch feel overall I like. Definitely like the response of a stiff pedal but it would be nice to have some feedback when engaging the gears but that's only my experience

There are also 3 adaptable chassis settings, dunno if youve stumbled on that in any research, but they change suspension stiffness and throttle response, very possibly it could affect the clutch feel too. I hadn't noticed a difference but at the same time I wasn't really paying attention to it.

If there's one in the vicinity I'd strongly recommend the test drive it's a super fun car. Sounds like we've got similar needs for a winter car in that it just has to handle slick roads a couple times a winter and it works great for that. Has pretty good power-to-weight and the inside is spacious. And it rocks the sleeper look if you don't add too many aesthetic mods to it. Geez it sounds like I'm trying to sell it to you..

In all seriousness the test drive might be the best thing if nothing I've said has turned you off it.
If you like it, comb through it and inspect everything you can/know something about. If it's in good condition it should last a good long while but if not it's a tossup of what's gonna break next and when. I did a once over w fluid check and ended up getting shafted by the seller but I've bought other cars the same way and been fine.
Just be careful with 100 to 150k+ because that's when parts start to give on here. If they've been maintained though Volvo's are notorious high mileage cars and I know there's thousands of people in colder climates who drive them daily and that many people can't be wrong

You're definitely swaying me man. The one I'm looking at has 130k miles but the seller apparently just had a whole laundry list of stuff replaced for the sale. At least that's what the ad says.

But yeah the sleeper aspect of the car is what appeals to me most. The only mod I can see in the pictures is some short throw shifter the owner installed. Pic related is the car.

offer 1800, do it for $2000, have fun

the volvo is not an upgrade. just fix the lexus.

Looks pretty clean! Dont see any curb rash on the wheels or glaring dents or scratches on the body. Nice color too! If you see it in person i might check the front bumper cover and see if its been lipped at all. Mine scraped on the ground every now and then but I've seen ones cracked in half from abuse too.

Black/blue interior is my favorite, gobi is too light and nobody was selling atacama when i was looking -_- but i tinted down to 30 on my windows and I like the dark look inside.

Awesome too that they did the service! Just make sure and get actual records and compare to what you were told. If something's missing you can ask why but hopefully its all been done and that saves you a shit load of work.

>>\google.com/amp/s/www.matthewsvolvosite.com/volvo-maintenance-schedules.html/amp

Heres a website that tells you recommended maintenance on whatever year volvo it is. Lastly I'd check whats been done against this, just so you know what COULD be or is LIKELY TO come up next (ps after 150k you just start the chart back at 0 and count up) and you can ballpark some future repair costs.

Looks great though from across the net, seems at least moderately taken care of and i wouldnt doubt maintenance was kept up (but of course double check). If youre serious about it take that baby for a spin over the weekend!

The asking price for the volvo shouldnt be more than 6 or 7 grand MAX, maybe 4 or 5 depending how much of the maintenance he's done, so im thinking it would be the better long term investment, but user here might know something about lexus that i dont

Looks nice, personally i really enjoy these cars too.

What axed my car was the ETM.

Damn sorry to hear that bro. Did you end up getting it replaced or scrap it or what?
Yeah theres a lot of computers in it which makes everything a little bit harder to mess with. Found out a while ago that swapping your stereo with the key in disables all the srs bags (oversight by me i know but???) Apparently because the climate control deck has a shitload more sensors and what not running through it.. Had to ask the tech about that one lol electronics are beyond my payscale
but yeah replacing a throttle body wouldnt be bad if you didnt have to reprogram the car to recognize it. Volvo just trying to keep the techs in business. No complaints though at least they're pretty knowledgeable, always had answers to questions i had or would even look it up and get back to me

01-02 Autos could have problems. In your case you should be fine. (Just check the clutch).

The timing belt should have been changed at 105k miles, so it a plus if that can be proven by the seller.

Some of the electronic throttle bodies were known to have defective position sensors and the whole unit needs to be replaced. If the throttle doesn't randomly fluctuate 200+rpm at times, it's ok. There's third party support available, so it's around $500 if you DYI.

Bypass valves could tear, but it's a relatively easy check and about $15 in parts to fix.

Also, remove the charge tube and take a look at the turbo. If the bushings are worn, you'll see oil on it.

Yeah cosmetically it looks pretty good. The ad says exterior is 8/10 but i dont see anything bad besides the faded plastic in the pictures. BTW taking a heat gun to that kind of grayed plastic trim will bring it back to life, and it lasts for quite a while. The guy is asking 5500 for the car, seems a bit high according to KBB. It does have a ton of new parts but i dont think that really factors into the value.

Theres another car sorta close to me that has the atacama interior which does look really great, but it has a salvage title for some apparent body damage that was repaired. Red flag for me and the guy wants 7k for it.

And no theres nothing special about my lexus. Its probably worth about 1500 if i had to guess. That user is talking out of his ass.

>>Heat gun to the plastic
Wow I'd never heard of that. I keep shelling out money for armor all and it runs off in the rain. I'll have to try that thanks for the info!

5k seems about a fair price for starting. Lowball him and meet around 4 or 4500 would be a pretty good deal as all the maintenance he saved you (assuming it's all legit) is probly a cool grand or 2 with labor costs thats staying in your pocket.

Good call on the other one, salvage titles are always suspect. And nobody with one ever seems to have straight answers! My 05 was salvage and he told me he just fixed the front bumper and bought new covers front and back, naive me looked under the hood and saw a couple welds that fit the story. Later found out all kinds of shit was wonky, water damage, interior was almost all gutted, and finally the engine just died on me. Only paid 4500 for that and it felt risky, definitely wouldn't take a chance for 7k unless I was ready for a project. The atacama is nice as shit but I'm pretty sure you could get your whole car reupholstered for less than the difference in price there so I'm not sure what that guy's thinking lol

I LOVE THE SPACEBALL.

if it has the same e-throttle as the xc70 it's gonna shit itself one day.

Struts are a common issue on these cars. I recomend (that if you have any sort of techincal background) you get a copy of Volvo VIDA off Swedespeed and a DiCE connector off of AliExpress. It will allow you to diagnose and possibly fix electric issues that may come up. I think in total I spent $70 for mine, and run the OS in a virtual machine on my laptop.

pic related, my bolbo