What is the best gen diesel truck?

What is the best gen diesel truck?

What year/engine?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3zo9aCQsJqc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dodge=hard to go past a 12V Cummins
Fraud=444ci IDI Powastroke. The 4.2 six cylinder Deutz available in some F250s in other markets was meant to be good too
Chev=any of the post LB7 Duramax
Nissan=either Y60 Silvertop TD42 or Y61 factory turbo TD42Ti
Toyota=any generation of 1HD (1HD-T, 1HD-FT or 1HD-FTE)
Isuzu=4JGx for light vehicles or 4BDx for small trucks (modern 4JJx is a brilliant motor too)
Mitsubishi=4M4x for light vehicles or 4D3x for small trucks

there is no "best" it's all about what you're willing to spend and what you want out of it. Lots of pros and cons to each of them.

t. first gen dodge cummins owner

Depends on what your needs are and your location is

Cummins

money isn't an issue

U.S.

Also, it's a shame the 354 Perkins was never fitted to a high speed light vehicle that I know of. In terms of industrial use, I'd rate the 354 at least as capable as the Cummins 6B. I'd love to see a compound tuebo'd example in a 3/4ton.

And what are you using it for? Goals?

>444ci IDI
>Powerstroke.
Pick one

>money isn't an issue
So you're a hick planning to use it for gloating?

Second gen Ram with the 5.9L Cummins, absolutely bulletproof even with major mods. The larger 6.7L in the following gens is actually the worse engine.

As a bonus the top trims actually had a pretty nice interior for the era, black with leather and some wood. You have to remember that luxury trucks weren't really a thing until the mid '00s.

Just like the IH, the 7.3 is a 444ci anyway, and I'll continue to call it as such... And on that note;
To add to the 354, there's also the IH 460. Another engine that speaks for itself. Starting to get big for a pickup though.

Nevermind the wear on that interior.

That's 5 words

That's exactly right

Found the guy whos never drove his "favorite truck"

Literally the best diesal truck in the world. Cummins are literally indestructible. The only problem I have with them is the turbos. All the ones that I worked on ended up needing a new turbo but they don't use it as a work truck and all the soot builds up and fucks the turbo.

I know the 7.3 is a good engine, but I can't understand why international didn't just put the dt360 in it.

youtu.be/3zo9aCQsJqc

>ISx era Cummins EGR
Not even once. At least shutting the EGR off on them is easy enough, and I believe all diesels should be fitted with a Provent blow-by separator which also eliminates the problem.
These days though the ISB Cummins isn't at the forefront of diesel capability and longevity as the old 12V once was. That crown would go to the Duramax.
On that note, I'd this is the intended purpose, for an older mechanically injected diesel; 12V Dodge.
For a modern CRDi diesel; Duramax.

>Just like the IH, the 7.3 is a 444ci anyway, and I'll continue to call it as such
Ok, continue to look like a fucking idiot

You know what IDI stands for, anyway?

It's an acronym that denotes a pre-combustion chamber Mr Diesel guru. You sure sound like a fucking genius.

>dt360
HHNNNGGGG

god, i want a 2nd gen cummins so bad

so hard to find in extended cab shortbox though.

Cummins is second rate to Isuzu

As much as I despise a fucking Dodge, and believe me I do, that Cummins is one tough motherfucker.

At my old Fire department, our Brush Truck was am 2002 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins. I cannot even begin to tell you what FUCKING BEATINGS I gave to that motherfucker, and all it did was spit out what I gave it and begged for more. I guaran-fucking-tee I used and abused that motherfucker in ways that 99% of the people reading this could never comprehend. That bastard saved a lot of houses and property. She was a goddamned beast.

Square body with a Cummins.

Any 7.3 or any 6BT

GM fanboy defending the superiority of IDI Fords.
But I do have a fat soft spot for the 6.5 and 6.2.

Tbh though, old Isuzu and Toyota diesels are awesome, they're just super irrelevant.
Tbh part 2, the only really good diesels are commercial ones. This is why I love the 6.5 and 6.2 so much because they are almost like commercial diesels seeing as how they were put in so many things.

Good engines surrounded by shit everything else unless they have a Borg Warner manual

dually burban gets me fucking rock hard in ways you can't imagine

So then you know that the Powerstroke is DI, so you're making yourself look stupid

I own a 2004.5 ram with the 5.9 and no emissions, HANDS down the best cummins motor, reliability and power wise. With no emission bs.
That said, I think that Dodge body panels rust like shit in the midwest and the interiors are dated in 04

Are you me?

Muh dick

Except this part
>10+ yo truck
>$30k+

tfw too poor for a diesel.

also what are the expected miles one can get out of these bad boys?

And I would drive 5 million miles and I would drive 5 million more

retard here. at some point do diesel engines become available in trucks as upgrade options? does cummins sell engines to manufacturers?

hey guyiz are these any good?

I've been looking for a tow rig, and the cum-ins shills really have me convinced

They're pretty aesthetic and seem to be common with manual trans, but I have a hard time overcoming the fact that it's a fuckin 90's dodge

does everything just fall apart around the drivetrain?

>money isn't an issue

Then go buy the most expensive brand new dodge you can possibly find.

>does everything just fall apart around the drivetrain?

And how. At the minimum expect to completely rebuild the front suspension. Possibly even including cutting out and welding in a new A frame because yours is cracked all to shit.

Add on to that all the other stupid stuff like exhaust, tires, brakes, u joints, filters and fluids, ect ect ect.

Or just buy a newer nicer truck and be done with it. Buy once cry once.

idk that sounds right up my alley of autism

every 80's-90s car I buy gets the motor pulled and resealed, usually head gaskets/rebuild depending on mileage/age, all new hoses and lines, brakes, clutch, suspension wear items and bushings, etc

I do the work myself so it never costs more than like $2k-3k for parts and at the end I have what is a dead reliable "new" car for a reasonable price that I can be completely comfortable owning and driving, with the bonus feelies of an older enthusiast's car

Trouble is I can only find the things for like $15-20k

might just go with a ~2011 silverado 6.0, really like the motor but dieselin' is just too sick

The 4WD front ends arent terrible. you might need to do the drag link, tie rod ends, etc. but you will need to re do the shitty little CV axle in the steering shaft, or better yet get one with a u joint

thanks dood, if I come upon one that isn't a turd for around 5k it might be worth it, but even the shitty ones are >10k in my area

might be worth it to just get a newer vehicle for once and not have to dick with it