At what point do exhausts stop being tasteful and become fart cannons?

At what point do exhausts stop being tasteful and become fart cannons?

whenever the muffler is replaced

Probably when you put a fart cannon on an exhaust.

Depends on the car desu.

When they literally makes far noises

obvious dubs

When you put them on 4 cylinder engines

why do i4 bikes sound epic and i4 cars sound like farts in a can?

Exhausts too long

There is no reason an exhaust system should be producing more noise than it needs to. If it isn't absolutely necessary for the application than it's rice by definition.

im confused does this car have no muffler?

when you start thinking hondas are good

Some production cars don't. There's flexibility with exhaust systems as far as what you can do to get them to meet the numbers in terms of emissions and noise. I believe the Neon SRT-4 doesn't have a muffler.

If the exit side of the tip is a larger diameter than that of the collector/down pipes diameter it is rice.

bike engines rev fast so you aren't hearing the same tone for a long period.
more revs produce a higher pitch and more even tone see: v12's
firing order may have something to do with it

Depends on car, Civics sound like thrash regardless of exhaust so in a car like that a tasteful quieter exhaust is better.

on other cars they can sound way better with an exhaust, V8 cars in general sound good with exhaust. I have a loud ass exhaust on my car but its sounds really good and is quiet enough if i dont over rev it

Depends
Sports exhaust system with less restrictive muffler (thus louder): good
Stock exhaust with a resonator welded at the end: fucking kill yourself

Any kind of mod exhaust that makes your car sound like the downpipe has come off the manifold will never be tasteful.

When you install them in naturally aspirated shitboxes. Minimal gain and mostly shitty sounds.

Turbocharged engines and anything with a 6 cylinder and above can benefit greatly from a less restrictive exhaust. MUH N1 MUFFLER on a 1.6 shitbox with stock cams and low compression is cancer.

maybe i want to hear more than just intake noise user

>sanic
>getting them revs up
>engine sounds loud af from the intake
>go to back of car
>cant hear shit

I can agree with that, as long as it isn't obnoxiously loud. There are certain exhaust systems that offer good dB levels and don't make small engines sound like bees.

V8s sounding good, apart from Ferrari's flat plane, not even one.

Anything more than just a pipe coming out the back. Do what you want underneath, but the back resonator shouldn't be visible.

cams. an I4 car with long duration cams sounds good at high rpm.
most fags tuning their I4 car only put on a fart cannon on their otherwise stock car, so it's bound to sound like shit.

>stop being tasteful

Anything louder as quiet as physically possible is awful. People who fetishize exhaust noise are obnoxious as fuck.

When you put anything other than oem or oem spec on the car
Then it stops being tasteful

>he doesn't go to tractor supply and find a straight through muffler with an ID the OD of the stock exhaust for some old tractor and just clamp it on.

They're even alumized steel for day rust protection and about 30 bucks.
And my truck sounds like bees. And my Volvo. And my other Volvo.

My one ton just dumps behind the cat. It's loud.

>tfw i grew up in the age of original f&f and nfsu/nfsu2 and unironically like fart cans

>Google MR2 Turbo Exhaust
>thousand results of tasteless exhaust kits

The absolute state of the ricer market

>not having a good sounding factory exhaust
That being said the Ford will need a fully custom setup

all v8s sound good you pleb

i4, v4, v2, and i3 all bikes sound fine enough stock, especially with all the unhindered soundwaves coming from the engine and intake. Granted, that's speaking as the guy who sits on top of the thing and not the guy who's standing a mile away from it, and as someone who has never seen one of those new giant euro 4 mufflers in person. But vids of the euro 4'd tuono still sound pretty good.

Most bikes have very little muffling to begin with so their volume level when revved up is already about equal to what ricers consider tastefully loud

So I shouldn't upgrade the exhaust on my corolla? Whaaaaa

It makes no difference power wise, it just makes it noisier.

An exhaust is a supporting mod, it's not meant to gain power by itself.