Mx5 Alternatives

I want to get an Mx5 but here in New Zealand people seem to think they're worth way more than they are. What's something similar that isn't arse and is reasonably cheap.

Other urls found in this thread:

flyinmiata.com/miata-performance-parts/nb-1999-05.html
trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/porsche/auction-1432912994.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=fYU8WHIAdMU
trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volvo/auction-1427500131.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

A Miata

One of the cheapest RWDs you're going to get. Other choice is probably just a nissan.

How bout a mazda roadster??

which nissan

BMW roadsters can be pretty cheap.

Yea ive checked but they're ALL automatic.

The Civic crowd have moved to MX5s in NZ. They've mostly left the NBs alone though.

NB?

Second Generation Mx5.

pretty much cost the same as the older ones

You get more car for the money, even if you sacrifice

sacrifice pop-ups.*

If i find an older one and an NB for around the same price you think itll be worth it to go for the NB?

Yea, i mean its a pretty big sacrifice.

If it's got decent Ks, absolutely.
They're not very practical as I'm sure you know, but just make sure you know what you're getting.

Yea i dont care too much about practicality, in it to get some decent speed out of it in the long run.

Well that's probably your best bet on a budget then. Also be good to buy a hardtop too.

Why's that, the soft top get leaky?

Wind noise predominantly. Especially in a country as windy as NZ.

Ah right, and what can i do mods wise, turbo you reckon?

flyinmiata.com/miata-performance-parts/nb-1999-05.html
Go crazy buddy. Shop is in the US, but I'm sure you can source individual parts in the country.

cheers

I'm no expert on the Mx5, but I hope that was useful.

I don't know NZ market prices, but I've seen 3rd gen MR2s pop up for cheap from time to time. Might wanna look into that.

Toyota MR2 Spyder - almost perfect handling, very overlooked car, weighs only 2200lbs, getting cheaper and cheaper (same price to fun ratio) did I mention it's mid engine?

Do yourself a favor and test drive one - never fails to put a smile on my face and if you have the money you can swap a 2ZZ+6mt and you pretty much have a Lotus without having to worry about the little things you would driving a Lotus.

Thanks, ill keep an eye out

I've never seen a Gen3 MR2 in NZ.

One con I forgot to mention though - has little aftermarket support.

Other than that, it's a Toyota.

How about not living in a shit country

Where would you suggest moving then?

Says the guy who's country just had yet another mass shooting.

Thanks, ill take a look, might be hard to find one though.

cia arms deal gone wrong desu

Call it what you will, civilians don't get shot in my country.

It did? I bet it was in mangere.

i've seen a few in wellington, but they are rare

I hear Australia has good car laws

NZ's are much better. Super chill about most thing here.

You're obviously not from Christchurch, laws can be as lax as they want we've still got to deal with cops interpretations.

Sorry , I lied. THis car has perfect handling.

Rural places are the best to be a hoon, I live in Northland and except for one bitch cop in kerikeri, most are pretty reasonable

Nah im from auckland, dont know about cop's leniency on speeding and stuff but i know that rules on modding is pretty reasonable.

it would have much better handling if it didnt have a cheap front strut suspension

rear suspension is better but still not that great

It's always the femcops.

apart from neon lights, them being illegal is ridiculous

looks chode

Honestly, neons on sports bikes should be allowed so they're more visible at night.
Cars, not so much.

New Zealand looks pretty comfy.

>Your car's too loud here's a ticket
>But you didn't even measure it
>Take your ticket and go before I find more to pull you up on.
Stock exhaust....

Nah, just under car lights. I dont want to get them, i would just like the option to.

That happen?

What car?

Yep Nissan Stagea, has a variable exhaust so when you plan boot it opens up and gets louder

They are legal, they just have to fit into the regs.
IIRC they have to flood not spot, cannot have the bulbs visible, and no red at the front or non red / Amber at the back

Did you mention this when you contested the ticket?
Nice dubs btw.

Nah just kept arguing and used my Google fu. Christchurch cops are the worst.

The mkIII is unloved because many are pre 2003 and have the 1zz motor which has that oil control ring issue. My engine does and it drinks oil

Not having a hardtop is gay as fuck, getting broken into not only sucks but at this stage in life generally writes the car off to insurance. Sure you can self replace and all that but do that 3 times and you're about ready to kill every maori in the big auckland. Not as much storage space as a mkII, looks like shit in my opinion.

Cheap enough, fun enough, wouldn't own another. My mkI mr2 would WALK all over any mkIII short of a turbo honda K swapped one.

Leg end.

dont buy a mx5 you will be horribly dissapoiunted. i know somebody who has one now. he bought a 6 cylinder falcon and says its a rocket ship.

buy a AU ford falcon instead and lower it will handle better than a mx5 and cheap enough to buy another one if ya write it off.

>AU Falcon
Come on mate this is NZ, RB20 cefiro or gtfo. Bonus points for each previous owner that's sledged it into a ditch and just slapped some bog on

Get a real car, theres enough of them available.

>One of the cheapest RWDs you're going to get
In new zealand? Lol no.

I prefer Eunos.

What's a real car in your books?

Any car where you can peg another man in the backseat works for me

nope what goes in the north goes same for the south. no south island currency needed.

the rules were written by the hot rod and kit car industry together.

Porsche Boxsters, These are like luxury Miatas
trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/porsche/auction-1432912994.htm

but if some pig wants to give you a ticket you're fucked m8

>8 days left
>At 4k already

youtube.com/watch?v=fYU8WHIAdMU

Get a Suzuki Cappuccino then

If I could find one, I'd love one. A del sol or Copen works too.
Just can't find any.

RB is shit raced a turbo in my stock falcon for a laugh. he didnt lose me but he didnt get away either...

barra turbo is a RB killer.

It's mainly a precat-issue I thought? Or at least that removing precat material would save your car from a future death

not when you have reg and wof and fully licenced

trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/volvo/auction-1427500131.htm

found this one for ya OP

>Implying any Barra could ever get near a stock rb20

the barra is faster than a AU. you are full of shit. i know the turbo was trying to get past but he couldnt. stop being like all the other nissan sheep.

Bogan detected.

rather be bogan than nissan fanboi

How's Centrelink working out for you and the missus?

wouldnt know i work. im a cashed up bogan.

Work too much to know the stock Barra isn't anything special then. Really need to turn the compression up to get any real GTR-killing power out of it.

i actually looked at that earlier today haha, ill give it a pass

you wish little boy.

the secret to the barra is the heads. the petrol has the weaker rods. yes but ditch those and the vct and it gets better

True. Still, the RB series ended production before the Barra started.

I can't hear you over the sound of having no Australian cars in the top ten this Sunday

The rings still die, it can chew oil and keep going. My corolla with the same issue has over 400,000 on it now but I gotta keep oil on me all the time and every 2000km-5000kms it chews 4litres depending on if I'm heavy with my right foot. It's just annoying and can be a WOF fail, I've put gear oil in mine with some morey's a couple times then swapped it later.

I'm biased, just don't think they're a good car. The design is too bubbly and the lack of hardtop is a massive derp to me. The mkI and mkII are god status. Especially since the mkI I built is packing mad heat in the back, spoiled me.

To add to this AU falcons are pretty boss. Every now and then you see cheap volvos on trademe as well.

I also once helped with a turbo VR4 drift car.
Had removed front axles, welded centre diff and put a big turbo on it. Think breaking traction in 4th gear at 140 clicks easily. One of the scarier cars I've driven but also quite fun and different.

Don't have to do all the typical RB bullshit.

Every single time I think a car wont be retardedly expensive in my country

For you

why not import one from japan?

Toyota prob did it on purpose so owners can swap a 2zz

It will probably cost as much to import one as it will cost to buy a cheap one here.