Best tire for snowy winter? Studded or studless? Good model of any brand? It`s my first winter

Best tire for snowy winter? Studded or studless? Good model of any brand? It`s my first winter

Other urls found in this thread:

tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot Alpin PA4&partnum=24VR8PA4XL&i1_Qty=4&i1_Qty=4&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Focus RS&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

snow? studless
ice? stuudded

Not chinkshit

I have Michelin x-ice on my car. They're okay. Way better than all seasons, but that's not really saying much.

This right here. Studs won't help worth shit if it's light snow or slush. They're godly when there's ice and thick, packed snow, though. Also; invest in some good tires like michelin or vredestein. Continental is decent, too.

Nokian hakkapeliitta

Never Again Will I buy Chinese

Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 or 9 if you're going for studded. They are AWESOME. The best snow tires I've ever had on my RWD wagon. Immense grip.

this was with just an open diff and traction control

Blizzak or hakkas

>hakkas

I can recommend Semperit Master Grip 2. I have been driving my car 4th winter with them. No problems. It helps that they are on an AWD. But I can't complain.

General Altimax Arctic if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

Nokian Whatever if money is no object.

>it helps that they are on an AWD
That's just one part of it.
Done evasive manouvers or brake tests with them? This is what seriously separates the various tires. Shows what works and what is dangerous.
Traction climbing up a hill does not a good winter tire make.

Literally no problems in terms of traction on snow and cold weather. They were top 3 on a German research behind Nokians and some other tire.
The only time I have lost traction where I have not expected it was, when it was on a thin layer of ice and snow when it was just starting to snow and it started understeering.
I have driven them during the summer and they don't like hot tarmac.

I'm not talking about traction. I'm saying that talking about traction as the only measurement on how well you feel a tire performs, isn't a good idea. The major differences in tire performance are found in losing sideways grip in corners and evasive manouvers and braking distance.

I literally told you the only time I have lost traction of any kind in the winter was on an icy surface that I did not expect. That's for the past 3 years. I am talking braking, turning, punching it, whatever comes to mind.

let's call it friction then ;)

Cooper weather master st2 if you don't have a high profile wheel. If you do have a high profile get Michelin x ice.

But if you got a lot of money to spend blizzak ws80s are your best bet

You know that traction when braking and accelerating is the same thing, right? That's why they are testing the theoretical limits of acceleration of a car with the time it takes for them to stop.
My car doesn't have ABS, TCS, Stability systems. The most advanced thing it has is power steering, and it doesn't even function properly, because the pump is fucked. This means that any time the car slips, I can feel it. It understeers like a bitch in the hot, not in the cold.

Seconding General Altimax Arctic, best "cheap" winter tire. Anything else in that price range is garbage that's little better than shitty all-seasons

I’m putting Altimax arctic on my first gen CRV beater and my RX350 this winter. The tires are made in Germany. Never buy tires made in some third world shithole, or place that doesn’t have snow.

Very affordable.

Studless is better if you drive when there isn’t ice. Studs will drive you crazy if there isn’t ice. And they may be illegal in many states. But it is kinda cool having koopa troopa tires

Real men go with bald tires

To avoid Chinese shit, look at tire rack, then click specifications.

It will tell you nation of origin.

Be careful with some brands as one tire size will be made in France or Japan (good) then another size in same rated tire is made in Malaysia (sad!)

I have a low-end model but they're still very good

Niggers and trailer trash single moms go with bald tires.

Real men take care of their car.

Real men take a bike to avoid all the traffic jams caused by people not knowing how to control a 4 wheeled box.

Go wash your spandex fag

I've used Altimax Arctic for 6 years on a 09 Vibe with fwd; have gone through a foot of snow. It's great fun going uphill while the poorfags are sliding backwards.

>9 year old pontiac
>calling others poorfags

>buy Vibe for $500
>winter tires and wheels cost almost as much as the whole car
>now handles better in cold and snow than 99% of vehicles on the road
>financecucks can't afford to put winter tires on their """investments"""
>skid into a fucking tree at 15mph at the first sign of snow

The real poorfag is the person who totals their "new" car instead of driving a well-equipped winter beater.

>spandex
You mean leathers

Size
Studded or unstudded
What terrain you typically drive on (tarmac, slush, snow, ice)

I've always run studless Blizzaks and had fantastic performance, but I've heard lots of good things about the studded Nokians as well.

>koopa troopa tires

Seconding studless blizzaks. Great here in Wi

As other anons said
Nokians haka- something are the best. This is why all OEM use these tires for winter testing.

Bridgestone blizzaks are the all around best in all categories. But pay attention to the models.

General Altimax are probably the best bang for your buck but the rubber compound is much softer than other brands and they tend to wear faster and crack earlier.

Goodyear Nordics, Michelin X-ice, Perrelli Scorpion winters, continental extremecontact winter, all decent but not great for their respective price ranges.

Hi first time here
From what I’ve read, the Blizzaks and the Nokians top rated tires (studded or not, ws-80 and hippopotamus 2, respectively) are the two gods of winter roads. Came here to ask which I should buy for Northern Canada driving, but I guess it wouldn’t make a difference between the two much.
How about the wheel tho? Is buying a set of steel wheels a meme?
Money isn’t an issue. I want to enjoy highway driving up here in God’s country

I never really investigated cause I just moved up here and needed winter tires this year, but I believe I have cheap steel wheels and they’re getting rusted. Been there since I bought my car in 2014.

Blizzaks took my peg-leg RWD Ranger from winter death machine, to swerving around AWD SUVs stuck at intersections. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

We have pretty moderate winters here and Blizzaks are godly. Wanted Hakkas, but was desperate for snow tires last year and my local tire shops apparently can't even get Nokian. Disappointed, but the Blizzaks turned out to be more than enough.

What I did was put Blizzak WS80s on my stock wheels and then got bigger, lighter wheels with summer tires for spring, summer, and autumn. Can't imagine what the advantage would be of steelies.

Continental Ice Contact 2 is my choise to Finnish winter.

Nokains are best,

Blizzaks second.

I used General Altimax Arctic on my RWD Charger, good tires, but wear out fast.

Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grips are relied on by Police Departments everywhere. They're awesome as well.

Studded Hankook iPike y/n? I know they probably suck on ice compared to a lower tread depth tire but I want to be able to crawl my way out of deep snow.

I bought Hankook i Pike RS W419 for this winter. I like summer Ventus 3. Koreans making good and cheap tires, bruh.
Yep, Conti better, but not so i think.

Nokian DR3 here.
Tire shop jew didn't put on the DR4 RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

would someone mind making a "winter tire rec/o/mmendation map"?

>dies by sliding into a mini at 20mph
Sure showed me

>Studs will drive you crazy if there isn’t ice.
Studs tear the roads up. My concrete highways here have somewhat deep ruts due to all the studded winter tires chipping away at the concrete. Whenever it rains (or snow melts), those ruts fill up with water and create a greater hydroplaning and vision hazard.

a stockpile of studded rally tires

Problem is that there are huge discrepancies between what tires are available in different countries, a tire that is "Good" in the US might be shit-tier in Finland and so on. Some tires also not available in all that many sizes. Also; new tires come out every year, and old tires disappear off the market

I buy studded winter tires and I also put chains for extra protection during winter here in Palm Springs California just for my mr2

I mean, I could cobble together something. While I like to think that I am decently knowledgable when it comes to winter tires, my "knowledge" is mostly about nordic-class winter tires, which are made for rougher winters, lower temperatures and such than what you typically have in most of the US, with most of the tires not being available there at all

Are these good winter tires for my car?
tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?&tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot Alpin PA4&partnum=24VR8PA4XL&i1_Qty=4&i1_Qty=4&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=Focus RS&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true

I plan on going snowboarding and need my car to survive.

I guess I should say, these are Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

The issue is that you give us no info on what your car is, what terrain you'll be driving on and how experienced you are in winter conditions

A tire thats perfect for you may be shit for me, and the one that works for me might be shit for you

Goodyear Eagle UltraGrip runflat; I don't want to risk freezing off my fingers in case i got a flat one

Sorry.
I have a Focus RS.
I'll mainly be in the suburbs, so there won't be a lot of snow. I'll be in Issaquah, WA if that helps.
I will take the car with me up to a few ski resorts for snowboarding a few times though.
I appreciate the help!

Its an average mid-European/US winter tire with a medium blend. It'll do well in heavy rains, snow and slush, and should allow you to survive a bit of ice fine - but the ice performance is far from optimal.

Temperature; it doesnt say, but tires like this one likes it best when temperatures are between 23F and 50F

I see. Sounds pretty much perfect for what I need since I'm practically in Seattle.
Thanks m8 I appreciate it!

I use studded that are compliant with my state/regions road laws, 1/16"

Daily reminder that Blizzak WS tires are garbage once the awesome bubbly layer of rubber wears off.

>Daily reminder that Blizzak WS tires are garbage once the awesome bubbly layer of rubber wears off.

This is true, but they should still last 12k miles or so if you swap em out and not be driving on them when its 50+ degrees out.

Opinion about winter Hankooks?

Which one, for what car, what terrain and temperature?

Its like someone asking if Honda is good - gotta go by the models and use

Reminder that YOU are responsible

That one still makes me angry

Basically this. I have well over a decade of experience winter driving on shitty tires and it wasn't until very recently the local insurance company started offering low interest financing on winter tires that I bothered to actually start using them. And I live somewhere that you encounter months of the most extreme driving conditions.

But I've never been in an at fault accident in the winter. The number one rule of winter driving is to bin your confidence. If you're unsure about whether your vehicle is capable of making a maneuver then don't. Always be aware of your surroundings.

I remember one time running on all season tires in a midsize sedan some dumb bitch in a shitty old Chevy Sprint slid through a stop sign out in front of me and because of defensive driving I was narrowly (by mere inches) able to avoid t-boning her stupid ass and sending her a well earned Darwin award.

I remember that thread, hopefully he isn't underage anymore

I remember that thread
fucking bimmerfags. I managed to track snapovermeme on bald chinese tyres in moist without crashing. Even got days slowest time but didn't have an accident other than spinning out

>Tfw using all seasons in Canada and survived multiple dumps of snow in my shitbox last winter.

The most snow i've ever seen.

Only sketchy thing was going up 2 km hill in a combinayion of compact and deep snow. The classic I need to go fast to make it but if I go too fast I will skid into the ditch. But even a jeep was struggling lel.

nokian hakkapeliitta if studded. cheaper studded tires use garbage studs that break/rust in one season. nokian studs last the life of the tire in my experience with zero broken/missing.