Infotainment systems

is there a single person who actually likes these things?

Only use mines for bluetooth so I can use Spotify.

I work out of a truck all day inspecting, it makes handling the constant phone calls and 40 or 50 addresses I go to a lot easier and quicker.

Also in my personal vehicle it's good for roadtrips because I like to stream music and the screen andwheel controls are way better than fiddlefucking with my phone.

Fuck those things, give an aux cord over a shitty touch screen any day. I’d rather mount my phone to the dash than have one of those take up the entire console

High speed shitposting from a Taco Bell drive thru. If done correctly they are alright. However I dont get how infotainment systems are less powerful and lack the digitizers of a $150 smartphone. You would think on a $53,000 truck they could put a nice tablet screen with the power of a 3 gen old ipad made with modern tech for max reliability.

It's hit or miss, my work truck is moderately laggy but my car has zero lag switching between anything. both vehicles made by the same company and both are 2017's.

I like mine.

yes yes audis are nice.

Mazda Connect is nice, just needs Android Auto

I hate VAG with a passion but even I can admit that this is really sweet

I do. It makes road trips much more bearable.
Theyre easy to put in, cheap, and simple to use. I dont see why people hate them so much

Question:

If you went down to Chinatown do you think some chink could hack one so you could watch movies on one?

I do you stupid fucking boomer. Android auto is awesome.

>boomers
when will they learn.

I used to have a DVD playing one in my last truck that I bypassed the ebrake guard so I could watch movies while I drove. Trust me, your phone is better for this.

Mine's pretty nice, only use it for blutooth and the occasional dvd

FUCK YEAR DERDGE!!

Boomers built cars way more beautiful than the hipster trash put out today

>uconnect is one of the better ones desu, better than subies
the oem touchsceeen looks and acts like an ebay double din, i have to press with alot of force to get anything to work

They put them in so they can jew you when you need to replace it. Good luck restoring a 2017 cat in 30 years.

Boomers didn’t build the cars you’re speaking of. Unless you are talking about oil crisis era and 80s shit heaps. Infotainment is fucking trash

Uconnect has some serious issues with reading file names.

I'm not gonna lie I hate that head unit with a burning passion. I don't even mind the interior but the head unit is a giant piece of shit.

>android
Hah

nice-filename-shill-dot-jaypeg

Doug DeMuro likes them. You can read his thoughts on them at autotrader.com/oversteer.

Infotainment systems are designed and sourced along with everything else for a car, and they have to be extensively tested for reliability in harsher operating environments than smartphones are, with expected operating lifetimes exceeding 10 years. So by the time a car goes from concept to production, the systems are already at least 2 gens out of date. The biggest problem that they have, like everyone else in tech, is security.

Going forward, car manufacturers are going to try and focus on making infotainment into a tightly integrated display of info being pulled from smartphones, and dial down efforts to create their own bespoke interfaces.

I don't buy it.

They're slow and shitty because they're cheap low spec crap and the profit on those for car manufacturer is huge.

Ford's is aight. Decent screen,not too big but not tiny, and it allows pretty much everything to be voice controlled.

Unconnect a shit.

I can't wait tell Kenwoods next excelon line up is out so I can replace this.

t. never drove a car made in this century

Can you browse the internet on these things?

yes, either with a WiFi tethering from your phone or if you buy a UMTS or LTE Dongle

>infotainment systems
what

>G-get off my lawn!

they're out and they look pretty sweet. However I wouldn't ever replace my uconnect except for a 2018-2019 model with android auto and better specs because even if you went through that PAIN IN THE ASS it would still cost like TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS less than a kenwood excelon.

Doesn't mean it has to be FUCKING SLOOOOOOOW

I like the digital speedo.
I usually can't adjust the seat/steering wheel in a way that's both comfortable and allows me to see the regular speedo because cars are built for fucking manlets.

Hyundai is the only one to get infotainment right

A few years ago, Hyundai had the fastest and most responsive infotainment in the industry. They still kinda do

>that interior
>that infotainment integration
muh dick

The only thing impressing me is the curved center stack. The whole ascetic of it though gaudy as FUCK.

>his infotainment system only has 1 screen

Why aren't you full cancer yet user?

>no iPad glued to dash
>all controls are physical buttons and knobs, with redundant radio controls on the steering wheel
>USB and aux port for audio

Second gen Honda Fit is truly the best of both worlds.
I don't have to deal with touch screen bullshit,
I can adjust the climate control without looking away from the road,
I can change songs and adjust volume without moving my hands from the steering wheel,
I can plug in a portable hard drive into the stereo, friends can use the aux port for their phones.

Cars with infotainment can do all of that

>Cars with infotainment can do all of that

Name a car with an infotainment system that meets all of that criteria.

the new chevy one is pretty good. start waze, plug in my smartphone, android auto takes over and waze displays on the screen and I can control my music easily too.

newer ford one (sync 3) is good, myford touch a shit

toyota/lexus entune works okay but looks like shit and has minimal functionality

uconnect is garbage

Mazda 3

Driven many Q50's and whatever other #, I fucking HATE the double infotainment system.

You get off MY lawn. I bet you don't even have a mute button with a picture of a phone on it because in those days owning a cell phone was so rare and expensive that if you owned one you could afford to talk on it while driving!

>>no iPad glued to dash

It's an improvement, the entire dash sits lower since it doesn't have to rise to cover the back of the screen

I don't want the tablet there at all.

I know Mazda was forced to have it because of the backup camera requirement, but I wish they had an option without it.
Mazda's interiors are the best in their segment, hands down, but that little tablet that was basically an afterthought kills it.

Go drive one, it sits out of your vision when driving

>judging a car using nothing but pictures on the internet

Mazda 3 will probably be what I buy when I need to buy my first "big boy car."
Until then I'm sticking with my hot hatch.

Gotta learn how to use the wheel and top screen to go through songs. Everything else is unresponsive as fuck.

Just ducktape a $150 android tablet to your car. it will do much better than that.

I'm still pretty pissed at FCA. They said originally that all 2016 models of uconnect would get an upgrade to the android auto version but when it was released, FCA went back on their word.

>not mounting a digital TV antenna to your car
>not shitposting on the go with your /diy/ android tablet infotainment screen
>not BTFO out of these multi thousand dollar shit consoles with a $200 tablet and connectors

They're only good for being a sat nav, but pale in comparison to Maps for example as that's frequently updated and it'll give you more accurate travel information.

Obviously good for music purposes

And lastly can be good for showing car related information.. Trip details, service information etc.

Other than that, I can't think of anything that wouldn't be better done your phone.

Side note: I was looking at some new cars recently, and they have 'web browser' built in.. seriously?? That is going to be super shitty to use, you can't (read: shouldn't) be using that whilst driving anyway so you're better off with your phone.

Some cars even offer WiFi now as if 4G isn't a thing? How do you think the car offers you WiFi?

These gimmicks sell to normies I guess, it's ruining a lot of cars.

Yeah well people should have been smarter about that claim seeing as how the model in 2016 and 2017s is the same model introduced in 2014. I dont know what sort of hardware that is but its gotta be a 4Mhz 8bit processor for how laggy the nav scrolling is.

Those ipad type center consoles are designed for brain dead boomers.

I wish I could replace mine with a phone mount instead. It's nice to have a backup navigation system for when I'm out of service range, but it otherwise offers nothing over just using my phone, and the interface is ugly as fuck. I do like the relatively small size of the one in my Gen Coupe, and it can be turned off.

I liked Bluetooth for a while after I got it, but the inevitable desyncs, inability to resync while driving, and the loss of audio quality over aux isn't worth it.

Car interiors in general have gotten so ugly...

Too busy, too many buttons, too many materials, too many lines...

What ever happened to just getting in a nice, well-built car with simple, durable materials, and...driving?

All the other bullshit - lights, screens, etc.... just gets in the way. I've had them in cars, and they're a phenomenal waste of money...and usually distracting enough to ruin a good drive, too.

>let born in the wrong generation
Old cars were built like ass

I think its the dumbest thing to come to cars. Half of them have menus for everything rather than buttons, so changing a set station is a pain in the ass, they look awful, get dirty easy, and give cars unessesary weight, but now we "need" these screens because too many dumbasses keep backing over their kids. How about be a better parent and don't run your kids over

>still no hud to replicate vidya
what the fuck are we doing

You think an infotainment system is heavier than an old head unit? Tell me how much an iPad weighs and if it's as heavy as a cassette deck

I have a stock Honda deck that weighs 5lbs. The shitty touchscreen weighed 12 lbs. Same size

On what planet does an old deck weigh 5 lbs?

Weeb

Jupiter

You tell me

Dunno man, my Becker weighs a fuck load more than 5lbs

They are all laggy as fuck, absolute cancer

It really depends on the auto manufacturer and year, for example: 2016-17 VW infotainment is very good. Most other manufacturers besides Volvo and Tesla are lagging behind.

I miss those

Mine just does media, it's good for my iPod but not much else.
Wanna replace it with a custom screen and a nexus player

I would like them if they could tell me exactly what every single sensor was doing and tune everything that's electronically actualted in the car. Hell, just giving me the OBD codes would be nice.

Also, the controls for them all seem to be universally bad. I once had a phone with a small touch pad the size of a thumbnail that you could swipe over to highlight the next one or two selectable things on the screen, then you could click it to select that. I don't know why everyone doesn't just put one of those on the left side of the steering wheel, which IMO is the only good place for the screen controls. Alternatively, they could bring back the ipod click wheel thing. That was evidently pretty great for navigating menus with one finger.

As for the screens themselves, they're generally far too big. I guess they have to be huge because to reliably touch the buttons the buttons have to be huge, but I don't think people should be using the touch screen for anything but navigation by picking a spot on the map.

i'm guessing to not consume so much energy as the smartphone.

>Going forward, car manufacturers are going to try and focus on making infotainment into a tightly integrated display of info being pulled from smartphones, and dial down efforts to create their own bespoke interfaces.
good

"modern" infotainment from 00's to now is complete garbage

Wow, a tape deck. This is fucking awesome. Have to get one for my CVPI.

Not just a tape deck, also a 6-disc CD changer in the TRUNK because that's the only place the music should ever be.

This is a Lincoln town car isn't it?

Close, a Grand Marquis. Crown Vics and Marquis are pretty much 100% identical inside other than badging; Town Cars- at least for that generation, that being 98-02- have the same head units and rearview mirrors and HVAC controls and god-awful cup holders and all the buttons and switches and gauges because Ford is cheap, but also have an analog clock and square vents instead of round and the buttons are flat instead of angled and the trunk release is on an angled punch-out panel on the door that gets rid of the storage cubbyhole that's normally there and the font on the gauge cluster is more angular because LUXURY.

They really went all in with plastic in the late 90s to ~2008...

I love the Panther platform to death but they've always been completely parts-binned from whatever bits and bobs Ford had lying around, and when plastic and vinyl became the go-to interiors of the 90's, they kind of stuck 'cause the cars went through so few changes all the way to 2011.

i was going to buy a LC500 lexus until I started reading about the controls inside. - mousepad for controls fuck that while driving.