Why not?

>tfw Guru Guru is getting a new anime next month
Can't wait.

I only know C, not C++.

Assembly

some walking animation in progress

>mfw making games

Not portable

Or do C, C++, and assembly all look the same to you: languages that are too low-level for you to be able to understand and use?

My biggest problem with RNG is that it could punish a player who is making a good move, by giving them an unusually bad roll. Or it could reward a player who is making a bad move, by giving them an unusually good roll.
Of course players can take this into account when they're making a move. But when every single move you make is a dice roll it starts to feel like you're just hoping for the best every move.

From last thread

5+1 bugs until the 3.0 alpha
Are YOU ready for the Age of the Godot?

github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/8805

CUTE
U
T
E

why did you post an engine mascot instead of your game

Is there a good way to find out what kind of low budget games people are actually playing? I'd prefer to avoid working on something that's been done to death.

There's absolutely no reason for anyone to work with anything but Python in the modern age.

with a transition frame. im worried her face looks too different when walking so that might be fixed later. pixel animations take way too long to polish so hopefully it pays off in the end

AR game for mobile devices, good idea?

because he has no game

>There's absolutely no reason for anyone to work with anything but Idris in the modern age.

What if you like types?

DESIGNATED

cute but she looks like a doll and moves mechanically, can you separate the face/eyes from the rest of the sprite so she can blink randomly?

>AR game for mobile devices, good idea?
Sounds good on paper but no. Even though it's interesting and could provide something new; all mobile users play games that doesn't involve ar

People rather play a fidget spinner game than this youtu.be/uqQqn7RWffE

at last I truly see

Python is the language of the gods

no other language can put so much effort into a single problem

>comparing a scripting language vs c++
at least put cython or ironpython benchmark instead of pure python

aside from whimp and that one sdl game with epic anime waifu are there even living 2d platformers on agdg

>look! Python is fast if you use it as a thin wrapper around another language!

>have a game idea
>start to just make game
>accumulate time working on it
>start thinking the idea is stupid
>drop the project

every time. this is suffering.

post idea

attractivechaos.github.io/plb/
It's still slow as shit.

Also Ruby is a confirmed meme, it manages to be as slow as Python somehow.

There are no good ones all I have to do is make a good one and I will be rich

What's your process for design? Sounds like you may be losing interest due to poor planning

that would be nice and it sounds possible. even if that doesnt work out i can add it in manually in the animations

picosong.com/7HTP/

Any musicfags here? Is there any good tutorial to balance instruments on FL studio? I've been practicing for a good while but it always ends up sounding too messy.

Only the first 30 seconds of the song count, the rest needs to be changed into something less annoying,

How do you feel about LOVE? It's a 2D engine which uses LUA

Based on nothing but your description of it, it must be shit

It's a framework, not an engine.

What do you do about jobs you can't really do yourself?

I'm working on a sci-fi game but since I'm not an artist, I'm really getting stuck on the fact I don't know what my overall art design will look like. I have vague hopes and ideas, but that's it.

Use placeholders. Get an artist interested once your project starts taking shape and for god's sake pay him.

it's just music, so I'll just get it later for "exposure", maybe pay if things get this far which is doubtful

I'll code for nothing.
Give me something to do.

Do something nice for yourself.

Sounds nice. Just watch mixing videos for fl studio.

Just some feedback off the top of my head at the moment.

Lower all the instruments to 6db and then select what sounds you want to be above the others. Use stereo seperation widen your sound on each instrument (e.g. drums/bass should be mono). Get Fabfilter to do you e.g. and cut out frequencies from instruments that dont belong in a certain range e.g. hi hats should have it's lows and most mids cut off.

>Do all the work. Give an artist a free ride

C++ is old and /trash/ language

Like what?

Medieval total war trait system with Dwarf Fortress-esque story generation.

Then later use this trait system so you can exploit those advantages and weaknesses of said heroes, maybe even kidnap love interest, kill best friend or turn his brother into the dark knight that works as your left hand.

Why not C and lisp then

how about a small 1-scene game that focuses on a game mechanic you like. Try to do something interesting with it.

I'm sick of writing C

Where do you guys go to grab people if you need more team members? My team needs a unity programmer familiar with their multiplayer networking to build what we're doing, but I can't find good places to throw an ad down.

C++ is just C with garbage glued on it. If you're looking for something different try some other language. D, Rust or ... I dunno Crystal. They're all compiled.

-6DB I meant

Also make a send channel on the mixer with reverb and send the instruments you want reverb to that channel. I'm guessing at the moment you have reverb on individual channels and thats also making it sound messy.

Thoughts.

Tetrkanoid. It's a game I just made up.

It's Tetris and Arkanoid, so while you're trying to stack up combos and sandwiches with the tetriminos; there's this little asshole ball flying around that breaks a block every time it hits something, ruining your hard work.

It's an allegory for making a game.

Is AGDG dead?

Yes
Every idea has been done, no one has anything new or interesting. It's the end of game development as we know it.

So what do you guys do outside of gamedev? Are you a student/are you working, etc.

messing around with textures

I just don't understand how people can think random misses is fun.
>run up to enemy
>few tiles away
>take shot
>miss

This isn't fun, it's just frustrating.

yes, fewer post progress and it's only shitposting and engine wars lately

>That gives me another idea about how to allow the player to reduce the RNG. Just increase the chance of success after each failure (it could be a perk).
This is how League of Legends handles crit and I haven't heard any complaints thus far.

Personally I don't enjoy RNG, but I appreciate that managing your expectations round randomness is a good life skill to have. I also think the frustration around RNG is part of the draw to it. The bad luck makes the good luck that much better.

The golden rule with RNG hit/miss mechanics is to never allow single attacks to miss. It only frustrates people. That is why single attack games are hard to balance around this rule.

It is much better to have multiple attacks with some miss chance.

After years of devving with Unity i'm thinking about getting the unity certificate (ironically of course), it is a waste of money of course, but i think it would be pretty funny to go on gaym dev forums and be like "Step aside filthy peasants, certified unity dev coming through"
certification.unity.com/
What do you think? Should i sign up

Smooth textures

>No mecha TBS with political intrigue and index fund advice strategically hidden throughout the game.
I beg to differ, sir.

Europe daytime has low traffic.

Working. And stop posting Sarahs, if you please. Awakes my dick's berserk mode and I can't concentrate.

Yeah, but I want to hear about alternatives. If you make every attack have a 100% chance of success you're removing the accuracy mechanic. I want to know what would you do.
e.g. Make it impossible to miss if you're within 3 tiles, make it impossible to miss if you have missed too many shots (Hard West does this, but backwards. Luck gets depleted).

I see.

How would you manage it, in a single attack scenario? What about making it deal only partial damage. That way it's not so binary.

I'm thinking of just removing miss chance from my turn based game.

Redpill me on miss chance.

Working. Studied game design previously but decided to keep it as a hobby.

I would vote against it, but I'm a nodev with a kink for masochism, so what the fuck do I know?

To be honest I like how the new Mario and Rabbids game does it. Full cover is 0% hit, half cover is 50% hit, no cover is 100% hit. All cover can eventually be destroyed by shooting it.

I don't know how they calculate damage, but for you, you could calculate it based on distance and the units "accuracy". So the accuracy doesn't actually make them miss, it just makes them deal less or more damage depending on how accurate they are. Distance damage fall off could be gradual at first, then quickly drop off towards their max range.

Trying to become a writer, a voice actor or a musician while I try to find a job as a teacher and translator.
No luck so far. I suck at finding jobs.

doing this is really easy and it looks nice

hope it actually works in engine

I'm NEET living with my parents. So I clean the house and gamedev most days.

My other hobby is gardening, just growing herbs right now though.

are ye growin da ganja mon, secret errb 420

Hey gals, programmer here looking for an artist, musician, writer and designer to help me with my game.

Going to be releasing it at the end of the year, so anyone who has 3 days a week to dev would be perfect.

me too, but im also looking for a programmer

im more of an ideas guy

I gamedev out of other things

Is it ethical to re-make a favorite game from your childhood because that favorite game no longer runs on modern systems and the original creator has fallen off the face of the Earth and can no longer be reached?
Not use the name and trademarks, of course.

how much do you pay

That is much better, thanks for the correction

Well, there is two projects on github remaking lara croft, so I don't see why not. Unless you get C&D.

Revenue share of course.

25% artist, 10% musician, 10% writer, 20% designer, 35% me

What the fuck is that color scheme?

>How would you manage it, in a single attack scenario? What about making it deal only partial damage. That way it's not so binary.

Think about a miss in more concrete terms. A throws a punch at B, B evades, A misses. What resources did A and B use and what did they lose.

A is using an attack point, which uses a hypothetical turn. They are also using energy (muscles) and losing stamina.

B is using a defence point, not a hypothetical turn, but a reaction. They are not using energy, but losing stamina and are in a more difficult position to attack or counter-attack.

Some examples for miss mechanics.

A attacks B, B evades and A misses. B is however in a worse attack position and takes a damage debuff on their next turn/attack. This way the miss is still annoying, but A got something out of it anyway.

Another example would be B taking stamina or energy damage, reducing the amount of attacks/follow up attacks they can do.

B could also lose a turn, but that is tricky to balance.

There always needs to be a give and take. If A is missing, B must have done something to facilitate the miss. B doing something needs to cost a resource or have an effect on B.

There is also nothing stopping you from buffing A after a miss. Hitting someone with a weapon for example is jarring and messes with your combo. If A misses, they may get a +hit chance next attack or even an extra attack next turn to make up for the miss.

See above.

I'm the fastest musicman at this side of the atlantic. How much do you pay?

Can you get C&D for game mechanics and general premise, though?

I need 12 tracks, 1-2 minute each.

I will pay 100 dollars per track.

Sounds good. Got an email? I'd like to hear more about the project.

>asking for permission to make a clone
bless your heart user

The only thing I can't do myself, mostly because I don't want to and view it as a waste of time, is marketing.

I derive no joy from it, and am just making sure the graphics are going to be good enough to find a publisher to handle all that stuff for me.

I doubt it. Not if you don't use the name or assets. I doubt you'd get a C&D from that game anyway.

Dunno, default on MonoDevelop I think? If not, one of the preset ones.

D and to a lesser extent Rust don't respect your desire to manage memory as well as they should and try to make certain things as opaque as possible so you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

it's shit, i have stamina and the enemy can block or evade, all actions deplete stamina with different rates, it is restored each turn at a low rate, so it basically micromanaging stamina, if you block too much you won't have enough to attack next turn (or only can use the weakest attack), if you attack too much you won't have enough to block, taking the hit to save stamina is viable, but health and stamina are low overall to make fights quick, otherwise it would be an endurance competition until a side can't block

I'll be posting here in about months time looking for musicians, just look out for that user and send me some of your previous work then.

It is ethical to remake any piece of art as long as you don't literally use the name or characters. It is ethical to use the name and characters after a few years, but it became illegal because shitty laws.

That sounds like a trash system, I'll keep my miss chance.

Fucking idea guys.