>fairly quick
>fairly light and small
>good handling
>rwd
>Manual
>reasonably priced
>toyota reliability
>named after the weeb machine
Why exactly does Veeky Forums bitch about the GT86 despite it being everything they claim to love so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xwpka_DDJis
youtube.com/watch?v=qmzvCmDsGFs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Genesis coupe has a much nicer interior and more horsepower for around the same dosh, a little more and you can get a challenger RT or a Miata. Also make sure to Sage bois

>toyota reliability
It has a Subaru engine. Its shit.

Its not cheap yet. 10-15 years from release, it will be hailed as the revival of the S-chassis. 15-25 it becomes a super cheap hoonbox. People reee about the engine layout and compression, but I ask them, how often are you doing beadwork, and why are you mad they did the work for you optimizing N/A power?

>not a i4
its shit

*headwork, fucking phone.

>weighs more than 30 year old ecobox
>has less hp

>>toyota reliability
Its 90% subaru for the engine, drive train and shit

Theres a few good youtube reviews on why people say its slow

It has a lot to do with the torque dip. Sure its about as fast as a miata and ford focus st but why don't any of those owners call it slow? It largely has to do with the fact that there is literally no torque through the mid section which is where the focus and miata do have good torque through their sections because they have good flat torque curves.

I live on a hill and a lot of times my 2014 frs couldn't fucking climb it worth a damn. Pedal to the floor and the thing would barely accelerate in that torque dip at all. It matters a lot believe it or not.

youtube.com/watch?v=xwpka_DDJis

at 3:09

I think I found the video. Theres a section where one of the guys is trying to drive up a slight incline and that car simply doesn't accelerate

People call the car slow because of this

BTFO BY A

>>>minivan

it happens again at 5:00 too

>pedal to the floor
>and the car is just not accelerating

Because I hate the boxer engine.

This is some grade A bait. Good job user.

>Cherry picking Dyno sheets

You should have learned to downshift I guess.

>Toyota reliability

Lolno

I own one and that piece of shit engine typically has some annoying problem every few months. I like boxer engines, but the fa20 is a smouldering POS.

>You should have learned to downshift I guess.
see
it happens no matter what you do

>defending a car with sub 140hp

>but the fa20 is a smouldering POS.
Where do you retards get this shit? The FA20 is amazing and theres tons of examples of people on nasoc who have easily cleared 120k miles with no issues. The FA20 is used in the BRZ since inception and the WRX since 2015 and I haven't heard any issues worth talking about

>Where do you retards get this shit?
source: his ass

its more like 175 at the wheels. It loses about 15% due to drive train conversions

looks like the starting price is ~26,000. If I had that much to spend on a car, I'd probably drop 4-5k on a straight body no rust old muscle car and build a motor/trans/rear end. this is just me though; i get that people want a modern car that just goes. i just cant justify the price for what it is.

>heavy as fuck
>engine power delivery is dogshit retarded
>has electronic everything so have fun with that throttle lag and quadriplegic steering
>is named 86 just so toyota can disguise the fact that it's nothing like an ae86

Though people praise s2000s, FD rx-7s, and air cooled 911s even though they have a similar power band. The s2k has even less torque all the way up to peak twist

The point of the car is to rev it out. It doesn't feel fast at 3k and it was never meant too. You have to drive it hard to get it to perform. That's why reviewers say it feels slow even though the 0-60 is 6 seconds and the track times are just as quick as a focus st, and various other hot hatches

>It doesn't feel fast at 3k and it was never meant too.
What is this nonsense? This is completely unfounded. Many of these cars have good, flat torque curves and all those ones you mentioned didn't have torque dips that severely impedes its ability.

see

>more like
>hasn't seen the forums of not 5 people
>but hundresd of people with sub 140hp
Do you even own the car? It's trash.

>>heavy as fuck
It's literally the lightest RWD coupe you can buy with a manual transmission in the States.

>>is named 86 just so toyota can disguise the fact that it's nothing like an ae86
Does it get exhausting pretending to be retarded all the time?

>>heavy as fuck
its 2700lbs, how is that heavy?
>>engine power delivery is dogshit retarded
its like any other RWD drive train, it loses about 15% to transfer
>>has electronic everything so have fun with that throttle lag and quadriplegic steering
There is no throttle lag, I like how you've clearly never driven one.
>>is named 86 just so toyota can disguise the fact that it's nothing like an ae86
No shit thats exactly why they did that.

The engine is fine. Headers and a tune make it even better but it's not bad stock. Keep in mind that the ND Miata only makes 155hp, even less than the NC, and no one seems to complain about that.
The biggest problem about the GT86 is it needs to be lighter.

I think the issue with the car is the quality control. I remember reading about this some people getting 175hp on dyno and others getting 140 like you said. Its a glaring issue with the drive train efficiency that they haven't fixed obviously.

Because most people cant actually drive. Anyone can depress a gays pedal and win a straight line stoplight drag race, and with autotargic transmissions, you don't even have to shift. So people are only interested in hp numbers.The AE86 was never fast either, just well balanced and it handled great for what it was.

>There is no throttle lag,
keep telling yourself that

>The AE86 was never fast either, just well balanced and it handled great for what it was.
You realize this was only popularized by some drifting faggot on a mountain in japan who made a video of him drifting.

Because I own one.

Cam plate - $200
Throw out bearing - 1,200$
Idle problems - around $500 for sensor and maintenance

Current issues that have no been fixed.

Passanger side window regulator
Tire pressure sensor
Clutch pedal assembly

Car has about 45K miles on it.

>I can FEEL it because I say so
>not that I actually do because theres no evidence just a bunch of whiny faggots griping about a non issue

What is it with Brits voluntarily putting giant plates on their cars?

Yes he's the loudest of them all. But there's been many drivers who appreciate the driving characteristics of the original ae86

>Because I own one.
Own what? a WRX or a BRZ/86?

>Cam plate - $200
so was this in or out of warranty?
>Throw out bearing - 1,200$
so your clutch? what does this have to do with the FA20?
>Idle problems - around $500 for sensor and maintenance
So under warranty or no? I can't find this fucking issue on google but a few people talking about it.

>passanger side window regulator
nothing to do with the FA20
>tire pressure sensor
TPMS nothing to do with the FA20
>clutch pedal assembly
who ever you bought it from treated the clutch like shit with all these clutch issues

>>I cant FEEL it because I say so
>>not that I actually do because theres no evidence just a bunch of whiny faggots griping about a non issue
congratulations you played yourself

Because idle problems and oil leaks shouldn't be an issue on a 4yr old engine that's been maintained. And no, these problems came around after the warranty ran out. All of the other problems are just there to point out how underwhelming the build quality on these cars can be.

Clutch was original and fine, but was replaced since the throwing bearing needed to go anyhow. The transmission in the car is complete dogshit for reliability.

Stop pretending you're an expert because you can use Google.

>Because idle problems and oil leaks shouldn't be an issue on a 4yr old engine that's been maintained.
I doubt its been maintained with all these esoteric issues you've rattled off 75% of them having nothing to do with the engine

>Clutch was original and fine, but was replaced since the throwing bearing needed to go anyhow.
why would the clutch need replacing after only 4 years? Sounds like you shift like shit

Throw out bearing has been known to fail in some model year. You can get it fixed at dealership for free. I had same problem. Unless you Riced out ur car already and can’t go to dealership anymore.
Idle is also known issue. Any tune will fix it. I don’t see what harm that will do, other then rpm moving up and down during idle, which was not a big deal for me.

Mate, if a bunch of electronics and annoying problems that don't pertain to wear are occuring, then it's not that great of a car.

Are you mentally deficient or just have trouble with reading comprehension. If you have to drop the tranny to replace one part, its just better to do it all since everyone is going to charge you the same to drop it again.

Do any of you dumbfucks actually own the car or are you just talking out of your ass?

Cam plates been also been known issue on early models, there is recall for it.

Where are you getting this BS? A couple of 2013s dynoed low after the car was initially released. They haven't had that issue ever since.

Can you even buy a sports car these days that doesnt have drive by wire?

Did you buy new? I'm guessing it's a 2013 right?

I've owned mine for almost 4 years. Never had an issue with anything.

Honestly, you can't get too butthurt if you had these issues with a MY13. Any first year of a completely new platform will have some issues. Look at the ND Miata and the grenading transmissions or the focus RS and their faulty headgaskets

Tried and brought it up at several dealers, but all them won't cover it because it isn't listed. I replaced it myself after going through two different aftermarket brands.

That’s weird I got mine fixed, and I have seen others at dealership getting it fixed.
Are you sure you didn’t mod ur Frs to the point where dealership didn’t want to touch it ?

Bought it used at 30K. I might just be having a bad stroke of luck because my older shitbox never gave me this many issues.

Nope. Both of them sweared up and down that it isn't covered.

>fairly quick

well they're fucking lying to you

And that's why I made it a diy project.

it was a hail mary shitbox to try to save scion
are you so delusional that you believe toyota gives a shit about muh heritage

>reasonably priced.
Not reasonable enough for what it is.

Why do we have to have this fuckin thread 3 times a goddamn day? How many different ways are there to say it's not powerful enough?

Yeah someone trashed it before you. Mine is 60k miles and has needed literally nothing but oil and tires. Just dyno'd at 185whp with headers and a mild tune.

Tbh. I fucking love mine.

But it isn't the fastest car.
It has issues.
It's not the lightest.

But it is FUN.
100% Go all the time, Swift on the streets, I keep up and am occasionally faster than S2000's and Boxsters,
Yes the throw out bearing is trash. I've already swapped mine including the entire clutch assembly. It's amazingly easy to work on, (aside from spark plugs)
It no matter how hard I've driven it or how far I've driven it always pulls through. 72K Miles
And 2 Seasons of autocross and I wouldn't take back the purchase for a second.

I'm aware that a minivan is faster than the automatic version... But buying the auto ruins the entire experience in my opinion...

>Pic related
If anyone has serious questions or just wants to meme about much boxer or muh 178whp I'm here to respond.

The FRS I test drove was more fun than the 350 hp 3.8 Gen Coupe I bought. I don't know why anyone would buy the 2.0T when the car weights nearly 3500 pounds. It's a heavy fucking beast and you feel it. Not a bad car overall, it handles well and has great steering feel, but it's more comparable to an older Mustang.

Then why was it released as a Toyota GT86 in the rest of the world? Toyota didn't give a shit about Scion. Only Toyota USA gave a mild shit about trying to save Scion.

Done any weight reduction? If so, please go into detail.
I'm wondering how light it can reasonably get while remaining DDable.

>anime wrap

Jesus christ

where do you think you are??

>I bought it used
>86
>well maintained
yea this is a load of dogshit. The previous owner drove the fuck out of the car and left you with a ton of issues.

no power, new 'facelift' one has 5 more hp.
its just kind of outclassed by stuff for the same money. it aint the worst. but not without its faults either

>has 5 more hp.
and apparently a wider torque dip

>slower than an automatic from 1991
youtube.com/watch?v=qmzvCmDsGFs

weeb crybabbys paradise

t. Crybaby crying about stickers

>v8
>240hp at the crank
wow how far have we come

well its almost 30 years ago, the person who brought this brand new is probably dead

>dinky 4 bangers now make 270hp
>ls1 can make 400 with no boost
>6 cylinders at 300hp easily.
>n/a 4 bangers can touch 200 with DI

feels good I guess

That actually looks good, but I could not run any graphics like that on mine lol

What exhaust system are you running? Just ordered a HKS system with an SME overpipe for mine

Meant to reply to

I think it's fine. It's trying to be a economy sports car and it pulls it off well. I think the thing here is that it's not say an rx-7 or supra even though it looks like it could be. So that leads to the idea of it being underpowered...200HP is decent but not mind blowing. I think the shitty tires it comes with also do not help. I also suspect it could do with a better clutch and flywheel. And finally I wonder if these will have head gasket issues like most subarus eventually seem to have.

when I test drove a br-z the only thing I didn't like was I couldn't shoulder check out of the the rear side windows which really irritated me. But it was a nice car. smooth acceleration and good turning response.

>tfw renting and autotragic Kia while waiting for mine to clear paperwork registration

Got a question though, how does it fare on speedbumps?

Most people here, like 60% of the posters don't own a car, and many of those don't even possess a driving license.
Literally a board of bench racers, my advice to know if someone drive or not? If he does not post, he probably drives. If he posts, he probably doesn't.
And of course there are americans who still argue for automatic cars and/or autopilot because their country is basically composed of 6 milion kilometres straight roads so there is no use for a fun car fast in the corners.
Also most people here don't have the skill to keep this car at high RPM to keep torque high, and even more people don't have the ability to fix the torque gap

The real question is should I buy a BRZ instead?

>kill la kill
atleast choose an anime that isn't trash

Pic related

>Passanger
I own one too and havent had these problems
This

>replace clutch assembly for no reason and act like it was necessary
You’re really stupid. Sell it and get a civic

>paid for a used for more than its brand new sticker price
Holy shit. See the above

This also

Subaru is holding back the brz/gt86.
They obviously don't want to put a turbo in it because their scared it would hurt wrx sales.

A turbo 100% fixes this car, as the aftermarket has proven.

I've just looked and i'm fairly impressed that i could currently get a gt86 for about £10k and then a good turbo kit and tune for about £3k.
A turbo gt86 for £13k seems like a damn good plan now i think about it...

For the cost of that I could get something else with all that + a better design. Plus a garage maybe.

>Also most people here don't have the skill to keep this car at high RPM to keep torque high
Retard detected

you have bad taste in anime and in cars yo

Check'd

The supercharger setup costs about 5k in total I think. I think I'd opt in for that but I guess its personal preference.

>ocasionally faster than s2000
>ocasionally faster
>faster
>s2000

lol no, unless the s2k driver had a heart attack and seizured into the wall while you were outside of your brz pushing it past the s2k would you ever be faster than it.

what is the relevance of Berlusconi?

It’s a metaphorical political reference served as meme.

The old (berlusconi) with his new shiny party (gt86) gets beaten by the young (renzi) with his party which is “the same old thing” as berlusconi was (ae86

It also served as an excuse to portrait him as a street racer (reference to Sudo seen here ) in the story “La Mia vita con Giovanni Rana” posted on the Italian ign forum.

Google that if you want to learn more.

Not him but I'm 99.9% sure he meant he got it at 30K mi. Not $30K

Haha that face on the 2017 looks like it's about to sneeze.

I've owned my FRS for about 5 years now w/ typical problems like tail light condensation, engine chirping noise, clutch squeak, interior rattle, etc. Nothing that directly harmed the driving ability...

Over those years, I test drove a Mustang, Miata and WRX several times a year just to see if I'd like it and migrate over. I had the financial means to.

I simply didn't like any of them. I've grown too accustomed to my FRS.

Mustang GT '16
>Great loud engine w/ exhaust noise to match
>Fast acceleration
>Comfortable and spacious; felt like i was wearing size 50 pants while im size 32
>Felt numb and heavy
>Numb clutch and steering feel, great shifter feel - better than FRS'
>Sluggish cornering; slight uncertainty every time while turning the steering wheel; felt like it relies too much on tires and not the chassis or suspension setup
>Looks like a man's car compared to the FRS
>Loved the top down option
>Big trunk

Miata
>Too cramped
>Steering, clutch and shifting feel was almost exact to FRS
>Acceleration was almost exactly the same
>Felt light, like I said, almost exact
>Could dive into corners slightly faster due to nice tires; unlike FRS' prius tires; felt stable and didn't want to drift
>Top down was nice
>No big trunk space like FRS

WRX
>Fast but felt numb
>Clutch and shifting feels almost exact to the FRS. Steering was lighter with less road feel.
>Acceleration felt nice but the car felt numb, and I was way over the speed limit before I even knew it; again, Numb.
>Comfortable and little road noise
>Way more practical w/ usable back seats and big trunk
>Turbo, Turbo, Turbo.

I dont feel the want or need to migrate over to a different car. FRS just fits my needs since I don't race or care about what other people think.

If it's so good, then why do most 86fags drop LS1's into them to ruin the aesthetic of the car?

It's possible for parts to be bad out of the factory. Just because you didn't have a problem doesn't mean everyone else will.

The clutch and everything else is fine with the car. There were no signs of abuse, just premature defects.

I don't have this problem in my legacy that weighs 400 pounds more and has 40 less horsepower, how are you retards so bad at this?

How the fuck do you deduct that I paid more for the car? I paid 21K after taxes vs 28K for a new one off the lot. Overall, it is a lot cheaper than buying a newer one with a few less miles.

>I haven't had any of these problems

Well good for you then because mine happened to show up just not too long after the factory warranty ran out.

Anyone will also tell you that it is a good idea to just replace it all if you replace one piece of the clutch. The throwing bearing prematurely failing is a common issue among the 2013s. Mine began failing two months ago at 43K miles.

This car isn't a godsend. I don't hate it and it is a blast to drive, but it's slow on the low end and suffers from some factory defects. Stop being a bunch of delusional fanboys with your minivan slayer.

keep typing keyboard bench racer

For one its price. You can get a faster car cheaper, and similar car even more cheap. The car isnt bad but the price you pay isnt worth it. Hell i almost bought one but hated how they drive. So i got a used corvette for 20k. Though i admit the interior is hot garbage.

>a used corvette
>similar to frs/brz

Lol..................... top fucking kek

>That actually looks good,
I dunno man I can't get over the autistic looking face