Are the 4th gen v6 mustangs as bad as people here claim...

Are the 4th gen v6 mustangs as bad as people here claim? I'm kinda tempted to buy a cheap mustang and I don't really want the GT, but is the v6 even worth getting?

Why not a GT though, user? The 6 cylinders are generally trash. The only redeeming feature of these cars is a cheap v8. Without it it's just a mostly plastic TuberWare with 2 few cylinders. If gas money is your concern then you don't need a mustang desu. And if reliability is a concern the 4.6's are bulletproof. Finally, if you say you just want the styling, then why not have the styling With a v8? It really is a no brainer.

T. Owns 1997 mustang GT

Get a 2005 GT
V6s are a waste of money and time.

Because the vast majority that I've seen are in leather and I don't want that

But what makes the v6 trash?

It's incredibly low on power, the v6s used by Ford at the time are simply not a competitor to any other v6s of the year or even before. They are not Really suited for boost either.
That's on a technical level.
On another level people will call you a sissy, gay, or poor in there heads.

And finally, if you want a v6 specifically, don't go Ford. Especially those early years, any other brand did it better

no power and its a v8 with cylinders chopped off, literally. get the v8

>SEATS ARE TOO HARD TO CHANGE BETTER GET THE SHIT ENGINE, TRANS, AND AXLE INSTEAD LOL

V6 is basically a decently reliable rwd econobox with a Tupperware interior.

Tupperware interior, reliable dd. If you want something dirt cheap that you're gonna leave alone under the hood, it's solid. Get a 99 or later since a head gasket reliability issue was fixed. Dirt cheap around here, good manuals are around 1k here.

I have a v6 autotragic, 215k miles and chugging along.

You fucking potato. Mustangs of that generation offer nothing as cars other than the big honkin' V8. They handle like boats and the build quality is trash. I own a 2004 GT.

If you want a V6 get an Accord coupe. It'll drive better and be more powerful than a V6 Mustang.

The V6 if that gen is pretty shitty. These are the ones known to be slower than civics and have like 140hp. Revving them above 4000rpm it almost seems like it loses power and just sounds loud.

94-98 have 140, the 99-04 has 190 for a v6, still anemic compared to a GT though. And considering the price of a New Edge GT, it's well worth it to just get one of those.

Pre 2011 V6s are shit. You either get the 3.8L Essex head gasket munching 140 HP POS, or the 4.0L SOHC Cologne 210HP Ranger engine that has timing chain shit jack shafted to the back of the engine so replacing the (not rare) tensioner failure is an engine-out event.

OP don't listen to these retards. The v6 packs plenty of power, you will still outperform the shitboxes that these children on Veeky Forums drive plus you will get better mpg and girls love muscle

>buying cars because women like them

>Being a virgin with a shitbox forever

>The v6 packs plenty of power, you will still outperform the shitboxes that these children on Veeky Forums drive
My 96 Duratec Taurus will waste a 3.8L but lose to the 4.0, but that doesn't change the fact that 4.0 was franken-engined SOHC engineered from the old 2.8L and other than the Mustang was only installed in Rangers and SUVs, and ranks in the "good-sounding smooth engine" department somewhere just above the Iron Duke.

V6 mustangs are trash because you don't buy a sports car for practicality. Realistically speaking, the V6 will probably get comparable gas mileage, but none of the reliability. Shit aftermarket.

That's what V8 mustangs are; good cheap fun. The V6 will cost you much more in the long run, what with countless engine problems and the inevitable V8 swap.

Please stop with the bullshit. Go drive a v6. They are more fun cause they weigh less and save you money

user, stop trying to justify your shit choice of a vehicle.
>muh weight
It's a few hundred pounds for much, much more power.
>saving money
user it's a sub 5 grand shitbox, if you are stretched to afford it you are majorly fucking up in life.

I don't need to justify getting the car cause it's a great car. A few hundred pounds means a lot when it comes to turns not to mention I can buy nice things cause it doesn't cost as much at the gas station so while you are having a salad, I'm at the table over having lobster

In my experience 6 cyclinders are only good with well done forced induction. Or if they're a i6

FUCKING DONT
atleast buy a v6 tbird so you dont feel like a piece of shit

The 4.6L is such a superior engine in power and reliability a V6 just doesn't make sense. There's 2-3 MPG difference, but that savings is going to be wiped out when the 4.6 is purring along at 200k and the 4.0 is slapping the bank 2 timing chain tensioner.

OP Please remember these guys drive 4 banger shit boxes. They don't want you to have a car better than them. The V6 4th gen mustang is great

Go fuck yourself cock sucker, buying a

Go fuck yourself cocksucker
OP hes trying to get you into one of the biggest mistakes a human can make, that is buying a sn95 v6. Just dont even fucking do it.

the only good? V6 was the 2011+ versions why? because for economy it was completely redesigned and all the manuals had 6 forward speeds.

otherwise buy the GT. the v8 wont break the bank economy-wise as its 2 extra cylinders. and if you want manual it has 5 forward gears.
plus the other thing is the 4.6 V8 came out in so many other cars at the same time so if you need a newer engine it aint gonna break the bank.

the 4.0 v6 had head gasket and water pump issues. the v8 didnt.

I'm not the user your arguing with, but you really sound like you are trying your hardest to justify buying that v6 mustang they get around the same mileage and really don't wreigh much less the price difference between the two is only a couple grand

user, do you even know anything about the suspension on these? Weight means fuckall when there's a hoard of geometry problems to fix.
It's a piece of shit, but it's got the right engine.

Why are you doing this to him? Why does stopping him from buying a good car and having fun anger you?

A few hundred pounds and about 5 extra miles is a small difference to you?

>OP Please remember these guys drive 4 banger shit boxes.
Literally coming from the guy driving a v6 mustang

Enjoy your salad and not being able to turn

Forgot how terrible these look if they aren't lowered. My friend is on his second one and they look so damn good down low.

The v6 isn't a good car. You are the one trying to convince him to buy one rather than just swap different seats into a GT.
15 x 5 = 30 miles per tank difference. That is fucking nothing. These cars are not great on mpg and rangelets period, but you seem to insist on the shit version. You don't even have a limited slip diff for fuck's sake.

Do you want to to walk you through all of the reasons why these cars cannot turn regardless of engine? I can do that.

>A few hundred pounds and about 5 extra miles is a small difference to you?
A few hundred pounds? You do know that the 4.6 doesn't weight even a hundred pounds more than the v6 and a 8.8 only weighs at most 10 pounds more than a 7.5 literally the rest of the car nearly identical

That 30 miles will save him about 7 bucks in gas every time he refills (depending where he lives) and that adds up. After refilling 100 times that's 700 dollars he just saved. Either you guys don't want him having a better car or you simply can't into math

Also a couple extra gallons a week man that's really gonna break the wallet

So about 350 a year? You do know most people spend double or triple that a year on little shit like candy from a gas station

>Better car
The auto version of the V6 turds is literally slower than a Miata, with none of the handling to boot. And I know you have the auto because you are just that fucking special.
>MUH TURNS MUH WEIGHT
Let's discuss why 100 lbs of weight is irrelevant to these cars.
Chapter 1 chassis stiffness
These cars are fucking NOODLES. The center of the car consists of basically just the floorpan. That's all that ties the front and rear subframes together. The chassis flexes as the car drives, changing dozens of angles and doesn't let the suspension do its job correctly.
Chapter 2 rear suspension
Literally everything is bad here. The upper control arms are what's called overconstrained. They conflict with each other as the axle moves up and down, creating binding. To fix this, Ford made the bushings soft as fuck. To try to keep the axle centered under the car, a quad shock setup was needed. The lower control arms have good geometry, but their bushings are soft as shit as well. To top it all off, there is no Panhard bar, something that's pretty much a necessity for 4link and 3link axle setups. As it does not have one, the axle moves literally inches side to side as it feels like going down the road.
Chapter 3 front suspension
The situation isn't exactly fantastic at the front either. Between the location of the steering rack and how it connects to the front of the knuckles, the car's ackermann geometry is the exact opposite of what you want in a car. The outside wheel actually turns more than the inside wheel past a certain point. Thus, it's trying to scribe a smaller arc when it should be scribing a larger one, and this effectively reduces front end grip. Also, as the car is a noodle, a strut tower brace in these is less rice and more actually worth it.

All of this CAN be fixed with money thrown at it, but do all that to a V6 and you're a moron, as you still have the gutless engine and glass rearend.
TL;DR YOU ARE FUCKING STUPID

>Doesn't fill up every day

Spotted the bus riding normie

>>Doesn't fill up every day
Fuckin WAT who the fuck uses that much gas

Are you comparing it to a miata of the same year or you saying a modern day miata barley beats it?

OP ain't looking to throw a shit ton of cash into suspension. We aren't all boy racers here

Someone who drives their car user

OP is looking for a fun car and a mustang GT fits the bill perfectly people make fun of v6 mustangs because it's a poor decision to buy one because a V8 isn't much more

A mid-late 90s Miata is faster in a straight line than a mid-late 90s auto v6 mustang, or they're about dead even. I can't quite remember. And that's exactly my point, you need to pretty much replace all the suspension with Maximum Motorsports parts if you want a good handling Fox/SN95 platform car. So why get the extra-crap version by getting a V6 when the V8s aren't all that expensive either?

Fuck I fell for the bait

There isn't people that buy them just need to justify their poor decision

The v8 weighs more and eats more gas. Not fun

I assume you are coming the auto miata to the auto mustang right?

The leather is easier to clean and maintain. I guarantee any cloth at that age is gonna be in gross condition. Get the 04 gt, there's a lot you can do with these cars to make them cool. The 4.6 v8 is a very reliable fun little engine too. you're not gonna be killing anything on the streets with out major upgrades but imo they are fast fun little cars that look very nice when done right. Pic related is mine.

>The v8 weighs more and eats more gas. Not fun
Everyone in the thread already went over this its ok that you bought a shitty car man get over it

>my idea of fun is counting the pennies I save while hypermiling
And I'm pretty sure it's the manual miata, but honestly that's still embarrassing. We have been over why a 100lb weight difference is pointless already.

30 bucks to fill my tank and get 250 range. It's not great but it's not terrible.

It's not shitty and you guys like heavy cars now?

Stop comparing completely different things to make your car look better.

>it's not shitty
not the guys from before, but you keep telling yourself that mate

>It's not shitty
>Doesn't handle well
>Slow
>Doesn't sound good
>Still heavy
>Could of had a V8 for a couple grand more
Are you the user thats been shitposting hypermiling bullshit

>3200 lbs is light
>3300 lbs is not
Also nigger it's a fuckin' Miata, auto or not. Those cars, while they have excellent chassis, have quite literally double digit hp numbers and the V6 Mustang runs with them. That is SAD, and I do not get why you try to defend your awful choice. You have a car with LITERALLY ZERO redeeming attributes. Inherited it? Great, it's a free daily, but shut the fuck up about it. Bought it? You're an ultra-moron.

Someone with a 76 Ford F150 that gets 8MPG at the ABSOLUTE best and in which only the 21 gallon tank is working

>8mpg
>21 gallon tank
That means you can get 168 miles out of that tank and fix your shit you should be getting like 12 or 13mpg

Very clean Stang you got there, man. New Edge Mustangs always look good when they're lowered with a nice set of bigger/wider wheels.

I'm done convincing you jealous shitbox owners

kek

Thanks man this is how it started out.

Post your car in particular so I know which v6 turd to laugh at extra hard, please.

Sure, right after I'm done fucking your mom

So are you baiting or hwat

Happy Graduation, Emily!

>defending a 150hp 3,000lbs car this hard

m8

>The leather is easier to clean and maintain.
Wat. Factually incorrect.

Leather
>leather cleaner
>leather conditioner
>pray that the material doesn't crack

Cloth
>scrub carpet cleaner
>steam cleaner
>vacuum

V6 Camry is faster than the V6 mustang

>The v6 packs plenty of power, you will still outperform the shitboxes that these children on Veeky Forums drive
My shitbox wouldn't even find a V6 SN95 worrying.
And it's not muscle. The idea of muscle is based upon having lots of power, which the V6 does not have. I literally have twice the power.
V6's are for women that want to look like they drive a sports car without the responsibility of actually taking care of it like one.

Get a Mach1

It's clear you guys are jealous, OP please get the v6 and ignore the shitbox owners

Just get a GT. The NPI GT is faster than a 3.8, and the NPI GT is slow as dog shit. I used to own one and then quickly realized it was terrible.

They are terrible, slow pieces of shit. unless you want something that just looks slightly above average compared to a fucking Aztek I wouldn't waste my money.

>spending 10k+ on a 13 year old car
Yeah no

Are you serious man? Maybe for a new car that you maintain yourself but that used up at least 13 year old cloth is gonna be beat. If the previous owner just put conditioner on every few years the leather will be fine. You can't stain it from spilling shit on it and is considerably less upkeep than cloth.

After buying my first car with leather seats ill never buy cloth again. It is so much easier to deal with. Especially if you have kids or animals ride in your vehicles ever so often.

that and foxbody are only mustangs I like and want to own.
Would make for fun rally/ice track beater you give 0 fucks about.
Useless for anything else

Then why do I get compliments and beat shitboxes

I want to see you try and beat my 1.8l in that v6

You seriously think your 1.8L can beat anything?

Come back after your first 90+ degree summer with those leather seats kiddo

only sensible thing seems to stiffen up chassis, coils and throw out everything but the carbon fibre bucket seat, pedals and steering wheel.
It\s about 1.3 tons, if you can get that down to maybe 1.100 that engine will be plenty. It will still never ever handle as well as the civics miatas and mr2's that end up in its class then

it beats most bimmers
even destroyed a 2k17 v8 stang and it was nearly stock back then

Because girls, retards, and shitboxes exist. Idk why "beating shitboxes" is any sort of accomplishment.

Sure you did. Keep dreaming

You don't like girls? Figures

>Sure you did. Keep dreaming
your newfag busrider is showing. Isn't it bedtime yet sumemrfag?

Your 1.8L shitbox cannot beat my v6 stang let alone a v8

Not him but getting compliments on your car from women means literally nothing considering 95% of them know jack shit about cars

this.
I've had girls compliment my absolutely avarage normie car on a date to be nice to me

But having a car girls truly like they start bugging you until you go driving with them.
I've had a couple workmates start bugging me to let me take them out for a drive in my car but I don't want to warm up the engine needlessly for a short trip.

only way you\ll beat my car is if start is at cars n coffee parking lot exit and finish is the crowd opposite

Why do something like that when you can bolt on MM parts and have a good handling car with a full interior? Weight is not the issue. I just explained why in that post.

because real tracks have corners .
I mean that car will never be good anyway, it's a pigfat lolcantturn from a family of pigfat lolcantturns.
Might as well have butcher it and have fun with it

Did you take even a minute to look up Maximum Motorsports? Their parts fix the geometry and stiffness problems. Its just fairly expensive and time consuming to install them all.

no because I don't own a stang but i'll be honest that stang is the only stang I want for a backroad and winter beater.
I'm more concerned about chassis tho.

My guess as to why someone would get a used v6 is that they're significantly cheaper since everyone want's a v8.

You can get a manual v8 for under 3 grand easily, the interior and paint just might not be flawless. You can get one with good paint as well for 3 grand but that requires patience.

>complains about few hundred pounds of car weight
>eats fancy food all the time
>weighs few hundred pounds more than average person

They sell subframe connectors too you fucking retard.
>buying a rwd open diff car as a winter beater
Dude, why?

because winter is the best season for RWD