2005 Toyota Corolla XRS

Is this a Toyota hidden gem? I've been looking for a cheap commuter car and the specs seem impressive for what it is.

170hp
variable valve 1.8L I4
2670lb
6 speed manual transmission that's in the Lotus Elise apparently

...and some other interesting shit

It's pretty good for a modern corolla. There's a lot of aftermarket for the 2zz if you're into that. Wish mine was an xrs

>ugly
>fwd
>slow

Well I wouldn't want to mess with Toyota reliability especially for a car I want to get me to work and class, but I'm curious have people actually modded their corolla's for the track or something?

>crying about fwd
opinion discarded

I don't car about looks, it's a commuter car I know it's not fast I was just surprised about its specs considering it's a corolla and there's nothing wrong with fwd.

there's suspension mods you can do. these cars actually have a lot of potential for a fwd econobox. even mine with mostly stock suspension can whip around corners. it's cause they're so light and pretty small cars. there's also engine mods like camshafts and forged internals

I thought the XRS came with the 2.4 out of the Camry

Don't forget 8500rpm redline

Why the fuck didn't they put that engine in the MRS?

Put some coilovers in a turbo on it and you've got a nice ride.

Not sure about 2005, they probably got better, but I have a 2001 that I absolutely hate. That gen was a totally overrated shit car.

-interior bits/door handles all broken
-burns 2-3 quarts of oil/month, very common
-MAFS & starter broke in past 6 months
-Rubber door seals all cracked, wind noise like crazy
-Trunk levers broken, won't stay up on its own.

Granted, parts can be found a junkyard easily but its frustrating.
I was going to make a new thread, but just wanted to pop in and say Corollas may not be as great as their reputation would have you believe. Seriously check it out before you decide to buy one.

Depends on the year.

I had the S, but I can say they're fun cars in a cheap, earnest fun way with the manual trans. The XRS is apparently not a whole lot different from the S until you et farther up the tach, basically 0 torks. Buy one with low miles if you see one and have a blast. Probably not going to shoot up in price as a future classic, few people cared even when they were new.

Later ones did, better torque but not as cool.

LOL HES SERIOUS

Sounds like a cheap piece of poser shit desu

I drive one. it's not super fast or anything but it always shocks people how fast it is. 0-60 is about 6.8s stock. It is fast enough to pass on the highway comfortably and has very good gas milage in daily driving. I was getting 6.5L/100km ~36mpg on my last road trip and about 1/5 of that was city driving.

few things to know... beeps internally when you back up, you can't put down the back seats because there's a cross bar behind it for rigidity, the variable timing has different rpm ranges on different years...early ones have a shift point that allows continuous shifting into the increased output mode (lift or whatever) and a higher rpm limit ) Like in my 2005 you cannot shift continuously up into lift and rpms are limited to 8200 while earlier ones had 8400. you trade off though by having a better low-mid range torque so my starts are fairly decent. I've also changed a few things though like the flywheel and clutch.

another good sleeper to look into is the subaru legacy b spec

oh yeah and my tires were underinflated too for the gas milage.

>170hp
>variable valve 1.8L I4
>2670lb
>6 speed manual transmission that's in the Lotus Elise apparently

just get MRS. Its lighter, uses less fuel and is more fun.
>inb4 muh space
Give it a try you soccer mom

idk you can put it in there if you want.
I'm happy with my 1zz. It makes plenty of power because I'm not a microdick benchracer

>1zz
>plenty of power
You're delusional

its faster than almost every single bmw both in twisties and 0-60
Even the sw20NA which is heavier and less powerful is faster than almost every single bmw
you're either garbage driver or benchracer

ok kid. I'm sure that black plastidip adds a good 500hp

>muh muh horsepower
you're a retard focusing on the least important aspect of the car.

It's kinda important when you claim it's faster to 60 than everything

lmao reks bimmers left and right aint none of your imaginary pulling shit out of your ass changing the reality