twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for satisfying autism

>ski slope syntax

>want to integrate FMOD
>it uses COM

>pointer deallocation
Wew

Thoughts on this updated skill tree.

I haven't filled it out yet. Just want to get some feedback on the general aesthetic.

i'm dropping the idea of textures for now, and working on widgets and backgrounds

Quite good, but if the other 3 branches are gonna be empty, just remove them, or the player would keep wondering if he missed something to unlock these branches.
Also who's the qt pls post full portrait

why would you use a GBA spinoff to integrate FMOD? Use 2FM instead, or if you want similar gameplay but better graphics, you can use RE:COM but in that case I would prefer good old COM

S

Is this random enough ? Should I change it ? Basically just a simulator I sphaghettied to check how'd the RNG function with hit % shown to the player when implemented in the game.

RNG is a crutch for boring combat design

They're out of 100 , of course, this time tried with a 50% chance.
I shouldn't pay this much attention and time to thi but it is a major factor for my game , and I don't want to risk it.
It is a 2D turn based strategy man, I think it'd be boring to just make it so straightforward, there'd be no gambling aspect then, no adrenaline rush when attacking some unit that there might be a chance it might miss and push your shit in the next turn. Maybe my take on this is wrong.

if you are worried that much about rng then never use it for critical parts of the game, use deck shuffler instead. i've spent a year figuring out the best way to handle rng in a turn based combat and the middle ground solution is boost chance without telling the players (+10% at least), then decrease the chance to miss every time it does, or increase the chance to hit every time it doesn't, rng can get some pretty bad numbers in a row and mostly give you numbers close to the average number of the range, so tweaking is necessary.
the goal is to make a fun game not pure gambling, it will boil down to if the game is worth the time to use savescumming or not worth it at all

remember that you can fake that adrenaline rush, just make a 10% chance to miss 3 times in a row then land 10 times, or miss until health is down to a number before criting the enemy, of course you'd need to make those numbers a bit random so they can never be sure that you're doing something like this, it's partially scripted (in a good way)

>That's statistically not something that happens often.
Idiots think it happens never, and but when you're playing a game taking hundreds of shots per playthrough, it's quite likely. And then they bitch because you see 90% is actually supposed to be 100% because it's more than 50%.

Well, you definitely shouldn't be fucking with it in the same function as the one that generates the random numbers. Modify n in the casualizer function, then send it to a straightforward "roll 0-100 and compare to n". Anyway, the way XCOM does it on the baby difficulties is by invisibly adding 10% or so to your accuracy for each consecutive miss (gambler fallacy), and 10% flat for idiots who think 90% is 100%. It also gives additional invisible modifiers if you've lost soldiers in the same mission, to help spectacular comebacks "against the odds" I assume.

finding how to approximate roads with Tiled

thanks for the ideas. I had the whole "chance to land a hit increases if previous was a miss" thing in my mind.
The "crit increasing at certain health" is a nice idea too. I'm gonna at least finish the hit, crit and related methods today before I go to sleep. Then there's art and music to do.
Also stat distribution on level up,should it be certain points to be assigned to stats by player or RNG based stat growths ?
Do you guys think should I let a window of RNG abuse for players or it should be obscured , behind-the scenes stuff ?

>lying to your players
I hope your game gets pirated

It's gonna be free anyways user

Open source too?

people hate the game when they miss something with >50% probability.

desert environments are weird to paint.

One of the characters the player encounters.

Been using her as a placeholder though.

Thinking about it, but I dunno. I'm not really into the open source movement(not that I'm against it, just never got into it). So who knows ?

meant for you.

This is the filled out tree for the middle faction. There are three others that are connected to the middle tree, but I'm charting them out separately as the file sizes are getting too big.

My waifu on the right.

Nice painting user. Is it an asset or concept art or what?

working on concept art for a game about jets.

How does megaman's password system work?

awooo

That's clearly a 25 bit number user.

wingman?

I was going to say it looked too dark, too grey. maybe a bit lighter borders would help, but then I saw the other ss wher eyou have the colored borders, and white branches. here

Screamer.

It's just encoding. You have a 5x5 table that gives you 5^2 = 25 bits, giving you 25^2 (binary) = 625 possible values.

You have 8 booleans (one for each yes/no has beat a boss) and one integer for how many Energy Tanks you have, 0-4. I can't do the combinatorics on this but presumably it results in

I'm new to this, I don't know what that means.

Things light up when they are activated. The reason everything is so grey and washed out is because nothing has been unlocked yet. As things are unlocked they lighten up. This is to add contrast to what is unlocked and what isn't.

Re bitwise masks I found this a good resource: saltgames.com/article/awareTiles/

I need a class name that extends Monobehaviour in Unity, so I can add methods like Init, OnSpawn, OnDespawnOnReset, OnGamePaused, OnGameStart.
These are different from start and awake. These indicate the resetting, starting of the level/match etc.

Unit? GameUnit? GameplayUnit? GameplayObject (although this might be misleading bc of object word)

jfc user. What the fuck are you putting in memory?

So this is the power of..Unity

Demo scene for a tool i'm working on.

WIYG though

I figured. I mean, even so, I felt like something could be done. Maybe darker colored borders? When it's not unlocked its dark red, when it's unlocked it's red.

Hmm, neat.

more like poop transformation

thank you, I will read these.

why genre mashups are rare here

A roguelike where every "room" is a different genre.

e.g. you start in a top-down room, go left into a platformer room, jump up into an FPS room, walk over into a sidescroller room (which forces you to go right), etc.

Is this a dumb idea?

I don't think those genres work well when turnbased.

dude, i can barely handle doing ONE genre

it's dumb in that the scope is massive because you need to code each different genre

otherwise there was that one indiegame that wasn't a roguelike but it kinda evolved genres over the game's progression

it's like enginedev but you don't even get an engine out of it

Because most genres don't work well together, and the ones that do have already been done before and are now they're own genre

Woops, I did some of my calculations wrong. To get the possible values of binary you do 2^N not N^2. So, the possible values for a 25bit number is 2^25 = 33,554,432. I suppose they left enormous amounts of extra space so that you can't just guess the password.

This guy on YouTube (youtube.com/watch?v=0eQyYrSQPew) did the combinatorics to figure out how much space is actually required and it's only 11 bits. It's actually quite inuitive: 2^8 = 256 different possible combinations of having beaten/not beaten a boss, but in each of these states you can have have 0-4 energy packs which takes 5 bits to express. So, the final formula is 2^8 * 5 = 1,280 different possibilities.

it sounds like a compilation of minigames, which doesn't sound bad actually

>different genres in one game!
Baby's first video game idea.

Also enjoy your massively ballooned scope of both art and programming.

I recall a shitty meme GameMaker game from years ago that did exactly that (was called something like 'the most annoying game ever' or 'the impossible game'). It's novel but gets old fast. Maybe tying it to twitch with a voting system might get it some attention and rack in memebux.

Where is your game, user?

not him but what massively balooned scope? first zelda game had top down and side parts using the same art, unless it's 3d it's not that hard.
i'm trying to mix a platformer with a shmup actually, since both are side scrollers it's simple

His voice is like an irish microsoft sam

"Every room is a different genre" is not "two different genres".

Also notice that both parts of the zelda game were not terribly fleshed out. Low-res graphics also lets you get away with asset reuse more easily...

I'd point it out in the recap if the recap weren't dead. I hope it's back soon, pretty much the only reason I come here apart from my shitposting addiction

Where's yours?

brum.itch.io/gunmetal

If your game is in the recap then it should have progress posted in the thread.

oh fug I love this guy
youtube.com/watch?v=K8u3CYf-Lrk

It's been a good run. Today I will be sending out my CV to multiple companies for a junior programmer position. Tomorrow, I will be reborn as a wagecuck. Goodbye passions, goodbye dreams.

>implying anyone is going to hire a dumb frofposter

>not being privileged enough to be able to live the NEET life without any repercussions

If you get a good job you can work for a few years and just not have a real job for a while if you are frugal. I worked at good entry level job for a year and paid off thousands of dollars in school loans and still managed to have enough left to support me for 6 months. Without the school loans I could probably have supported myself for ~3 years and I was not being frugal.

Hello me from exactly 1 month in the future when I'll be finishing college and my parents will kick me out of the house.

Report in the thread with how your interviews went and what things you were asked if you may.

Why aren't you working on it instead of engine-enginedevving?

>you've got so much potencial ;)

gain experience and knowledge
come back matured and make your game

banished dev for example had like 10+ years of programming experience in a company before making it

>Another one swallowed by the jews

Rip fellow memer

>can't handle a job and devving at the same time.
You were never meant to achieve anything anyways. Nothing of value was lost.

i had to live alongside family but a part time job enabled me to have enough time to develop in my spare time

can't you do the same, maybe?

just thought I'd throw another (You) your way

A game about psychological projection

Because i made a bunch of assets, but unity's level editing tools are pretty garbage.
I would have made this tool either way, but since i NEEDED these features, i can imagine other 3d devs needing them as well, so why not sell it on the asset store.

>Bokudev initally planned to ask for $2k
>The discord fags told him it was too low and he blindly increased it to 5k without even considering the fact that the people saying it had never done a kickstarter.
>now his project might not be funded
>he would already be hitting stretch goals had he not listened.

Serves him well for following advice from random nodevs online.

what are my chances if I bought an art pack and made a game?

>Decide to play through all my finished levels in one session
>It takes me 90 minutes

About 29

Skimping work by editing old animations for new assets rather than making new ones.
I feel smart.

>Today I will be sending out my CV
>Tomorrow, I will be reborn as a wagecuck
you didn't quite follow how this all works did you

what needs to be kickstarted about this game exactly? it's mobile game tier that has no need for art, music, voice acting, translation, writing... i don't understand, kickstarter was a mistake

who cares?

me

He can still make it but the hubris isn't doing him any favors.

These might give me some ideas, thanks dude.
Kinda curious about the projection, are you using primitives and math for it ?

It makes your workflow a lot faster though, which is an advantage.

Ask one of your friends or relatives, it gives a much better perspective, you're the one that know your game.

How many finished levels.

me

ME! ME! ME!

It's a good marketing strategy, you get exposure and some early sales, and I'm guessing that's why he initially asked for $2k only, the problem is that if it backfires you have a project that failed to kickstart, so it becomes antimarketing.

That looks super useful. If it were for ue4 I'd totally buy that on the market place.

To be honest if he wasn't so selective about what advice he listened to, he would have hit that goal easily.
People have been suggesting him ways to improve his art style for years now, but he doesn't pay any attention. He ignores basic things, such as simple color theory and gameplay related brightness values.