Would a BMW Z3 be a bad track car?

Would a BMW Z3 be a bad track car?

Other urls found in this thread:

bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1979601-Subframe-trunk-floor-differential-mount-failure
driftworks.com/forum/threads/e36-subframe-tearing-points.182236/
m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?s=2c1ebc164ce4436f4c3cdad1453510fe&t=388005&page=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pigfat and underpowered in almost all trims

A Boxster would be a far superior German roadster for a track car in every single way

Pretty much what said but frankly if you don't care about setting record times and find one for the right price it would do just fine as a track car.

I'm not even memeing right now, there is literally no reason to buy it over a Miata apart from "muh bmw" which doesn't really apply since it's old as fuck and slow.

mr2 spyder would be a better and cheaper alternative

At higher trims its a I6 and is quite a but more exciting imo

Verts are bad for track cars because you need a roll cage.

Still heavy. Yeah the Z3M exists, bit it would make more sense to get a Boxster S at that point
Or just Carrera swap a Boxster shell

The Z3 chassis really can't compete with the Boxster's chassis. Damn think is 70% 911 and shares some handling bits like sway bars with the GT3

You just need roll bar extensions and a helmet. Some OEM hard tops even have extra roll over protection built in

I don't disagree in the slightest, and without any research can you get a boxster for 8k used in trackable condition like you can a i6 Z3?

I bought mine for like $7k and have tracked it. The 2.5l are worthless, but they're also the only eligible for spec racing
No risk of IMS bearing failure either

TIL
Neat, thanks for sharing user.

I rather get an S2000 even an MRS 2zz

It'll do just fine.
But I remember some tracks not liking convertibles. Someone confirm.

>no risk for the ims

yes there is, its just 1% compared to 8% for 01+ 3.2 and 2.7's

it applies to all m96 engines except the turbos

Nobody is selling them.
Z3's are cheaper from what I can see. Everyone selling their Miata expects 10k because they know they're desirable.

An E36 2 door or saloon is a much better option for a track car

Not 20 years later unless you're buying some show room condition unicorn with low miles for 987 prices

forgot to add:
>slightly lighter than a Z3 if you stripped both out
>stiffer body
>superior rear suspension
>cheaper/easier to find, especially as 2.5 or 2.8

That's why nobody bothers with a Z3 when it comes to track cars.

this. e36 is a goat chassis for the money.

>Z3's are cheaper from what I can see.

I suppose it varies by country. Where I live cheap 2nd gen Miatas are around $3-4k and cheap Z3's are around $5-6k.

In fact, there's a 2nd gen Miata for sale at the same price as the 2nd cheapest Z3, but the Miata has OZ Ultraleggera wheels, yellow Koni shocks & springs and a "rollcage".

You'll probably end up having brake problems by lap 2

there is nothing wrong with z3 braking system, wtf?

I've seen many Z3s at bmwcca events.

They are slower than most of the other cars but nobody expects them to beat anything else. So it's a great beginner track car imo. Its also cheap enough you won't feel like a faggot if it gets torn up.

Also, it's better than a Miata in every way.

>more expensive to buy
>more expensive to maintain
>more expensive aftermarket
>10-30% heavier depending on spec

In what way is it actually better than a Miata?

why the hell everyone keep saying z3 is heavy when op says track car? you can just stripped it to atleast 1100-1200kg.

Weight reduction in a Miata brings it to like 900 kg. Boxsters can get down to 1100-1200 as well. MR2 can get down to something like 950.

Of the cars we've discussed in this thread, the Z3 is heavy.

sure, it's like 20% more expensive in everything but the z3 is
>faster than miata
>stock engines have more potential
>better interior (ergonomics, materials)
>looks less gay
>safer
>more rare
so it's worth it imo.

oh also the inline 6 engines sound way better than 4 bangers

I believe convertibles are legal if you have a roll bar or roll cage, that's how it is in the Miata race leagues I think

There's a guy around my area who was trying to track one of these, and he kept blowing up his transmission.

any car is good for a track car.
I'd rater prefer something japanese cause you need that reliability.

There's literally 0 reason to be a tryhard benchracer fag because you'll get BTFO by some old fart driving some shitty FF anyway wether you're in a z3 or a f1 car.
It's about going out there learning to drive and having fun not about getting there and bragging how you're the only one who bought a real car.
Just buy whatever is cheap and you don't give a fuck about and do it, ignore everyone telling you otherwise.

Inline 6 engines sound better than anything except V8 and V12

>this much maturity on Veeky Forums
Damn, the quality of this board is going up.

his fault for getting an autotragic.

The one in the OP is the 1.9L 4cyl actually. 140HP

4 cyls have different body design?

oh and nobody will be impressed by your bmw
nobody will laugh at you for bringing a civic.
Bring what is cheapest and you're not afraid of crashing.

>all these faggots recommending the E36 for a track shell
You dipshits, he's going to have to tack weld his rear subframe if he's going to track it or else he'll lose his rear axle at some point
E36 a shit unless you spend money and take proper prep

You are talking about E46 subframe issues, not E36 stupid nig ger.

e36 is a great choice
who cares if the rear half falls off, sell it for parts, turn a profit and buy a more expensive e36

e36 e46 are so cheap here that when a leaf falls on your car its considered totalled by insurance

>You are talking about E46 subframe issues, not E36 stupid nig ger.

bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1979601-Subframe-trunk-floor-differential-mount-failure
Fuck off youngfag
>It's a feature!

I'm the OP. Has a 1.9L, 77000km, 6k CAD. All the Miatas in good condition are 8k or higher.

How much are the Boxster 986's in your area? What about MR2s?

It's not even a common issue among E36s retard.
Your link is about Z3's.

>All the Miatas in good condition are 8k or higher.
That's indeed too much when a 4 banger Z3 only costs 6.

As other have touched on a good track car is a car that is
>within your financial abilities to replace comsumables like fuel, brake rotors, the odd suspension bushing etc.
>somewhat easy to work on because you will replace wear items often
>not too heavy because weight will increase wear and amount of consumables used
>cheap enough to write off if you crash it

Only you can decide whether the Z3 is that for you.

>All the Miatas in good condition are 8k or higher.
WHAT THE FUCK AM I READING
>$6k CAD
>canadian cuck bucks

nvm, here in America you can get a rust free chassis anywhere between $3500-$6000

driftworks.com/forum/threads/e36-subframe-tearing-points.182236/

m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?s=2c1ebc164ce4436f4c3cdad1453510fe&t=388005&page=2

>i have 98 m3 with reinforcement plates welded by BMW. what a shitty half assed job.
BMW did not use any weld through primer. all weld points in my car are starting to rust.
>they did not seal the weld at all. after removing "reinforcement" plates I had to grind 1mm of rust off of the frame. the steel they use is super weak.
>i used 4mm zink coated steel to make reinforcement plates that have a much larger contact area with the frame.
>I am frankly very disappointed with frame built quality on e36. if you drive this car you better have mig welder and few sheets of steel at all times. everything seems so fragile and weak.