Will this car still be fun in Auto as a daily?

Also can I drive it in snow assuming I have the best winter tires and a sand bag or two in the back? I don't want to do any major mods yet, for a year.

2014 Subaru BRZ Limited aka Sport-tech. 35,000 miles, $16-$17k. Auto.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fISXqmfWLk8?t=12s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just get the manual, it takes a weekend to learn and it's a skill you have for the rest of your life.

listen to this guy

Traffic an hour each day :(

No. From what I've seen and heard autos are significantly slower than manuals.
listen to this guy and do yourself a favor learning manual. Besides you'll probably be able to find a manual one cheaper.

then just take some time off from work and spend a weekend or so in the country teaching yourself all the basics with some empty roads/parking lots and a youtube tutorial.

Seriously, you'll pick it up in no time.

Dont be a pussy. its not that hard, dude.

Manuals are actually $3k-$6k more for comparable miles here
I'll look into it but what about the snow driving, will a manual have any advantages there?

>Besides you'll probably be able to find a manual one cheaper.
I wish this was true here in europe

1. You shouldn't drive a brz in the snow

2. Manual is better for the snow

Why not?

I find is bizarre that this is the case in Europoor and Burgerland.

Unless it's a real top end performance car I've always found manuals cheaper here in Aus.

Enthusiast tax

Here in czech rep. everyone knows how to drive manual, but a lot of people doesn't know how to drive auto.

>1. You shouldn't drive a brz in the snow

Why, I have for the past two years, on the stock tyres.

Has it been good? I'll be on highway everyday, does it slide a lot or just a little? I'll have snows fir sure too.

Blizzak snow tires and you will be fine up to like 3 inches

>stock tyres
please explain

Why bother with a brz at all then? Get a comfy shitbox for a dd and save until you can get something actually nice for the weekend.

>people doesn't know how to drive auto
How is this possible? Put it in drive and forget about it.

I just like it and it's time to buy something more purist

Manual is not bad at all in traffic. I do about the same. Hydraulic clutches are easy to live with.

This car will be boring if you don't have any curvy roads, even when its manual.

have lots of curvy roads near me, roads on sides of mountain and all through town are pretty curvy and well maintained
even in stop and go traffic?

Absofuckinglutely do not buy a sports car in auto. Are you touched in the head?

Not OP but what's the trick of driving a manual in traffic? Keeping enough distance so you don't have to stop completely, or not too much so no one merges into your lane?

Please just get the car in manual.

The clutch is light and responsive. Driving in stick in traffic in this car is so fucking easy its not even a problem.

You literally don't have to think about that because its so easy once you practice for MAYBE a few days.

The real problem is that everyone is a pussy and they try to drive manual for like 10 mins and then give up and come back crying about how they should have bought auto.

I bought my frs manual, it was my first manual car too. Stuck with it for years. NO RAGRATYS

Yeah same, my first car was manual which I also learned on. It took me a weekend. It was a weekend of a lot of practice, but only a weekend.

All my future vehicles will be manual if at all possible

>mfw my mom has a Forester, sister has an Impreza, and dad is buying a Crosstrek
I want this car, but I don't know which of the different incarnations I should pick. I'm leaning toward the 86 since it seems a bit more bare-bones and supposedly sport-tuned. IMO the Subaru badge looks like a blue clown nose on the front of the BRZ. The only thing I hate are the stupid Christmas lights, but I believe both versions have them.

>slower then a civic

youtu.be/fISXqmfWLk8?t=12s

Pls get manual one. I know speed isn't what this car is about, but the automatic wrecks what little it had in the first place.

The auto was meant for the monkey model of the lexus ls.

>$8k higher MSRP for Civic Type R than the 86
>factory turbo
I should hope the pre-riced Civic is faster, but it's FWD whereas the 86 is RWD. Also, it's not made in Japan, which triggers my autism.

What is the big deal with rwd cars in snow? I learned to drive with a chevy conversion van in snow, and I daily my gbody in all weather. I tried my mom's '03 accord in the snow once. It handles like garbage on dry pavement, and all performance was right out the window in any bad weather. I'll stick with rwd

for the love of god don't get an automatic sports car, especially not a BRZ.

it's much easier to deal with the torque dip in the manual (drive below 3200 RPM for fuel efficient daily driving, downshift/keep above 4800~ to clear the dip when you need to overtake other cars/max power) and is just a better experience overall, even in traffic.

also if you get the BRZ 2 things:

get a drop in air filter. the stock airbox is great but the filter itself is shit. drop-ins will net you around 5hp and really smooth out throttle response with minimal effort

change the transmission/rear diff fluid ASAP. the stock fluid is fucking full of metal shavings for some reason and the shifting feels like shit. get some motul 75w90 and it's smooth as butter.

I'm commuting with mine all year round, an hour of normal traffic and half an hour of heavy stop and go city traffic every day. It's also my weekend and trackday car, grocery getter and people carrier when I'm designated driver. There's been only one occasion when I had to borrow someone else's car, and that was when I bought a 65" TV. Get it as manual though, it's piss easy to learn, literally everyone in Europe can do it.

the only thing is there will be markups on the Type R since it's a more coveted vehicle. That $8k will turn into $15k

Isn't the 86 supposedly really fast with aftermarket turbo kits though?

If you can't drive a FWD car in snow, you might actually have autism. You literally point wheel in direction you want to go, keep throttle steady, and go. If you lose the rear end, give more throttle. It's retard proof.

>fwd is aids in the snow

maybe its because in all the vehicles ive driven RWD and FWD ive used shitty all seasons.

but goddamn its easier to stay on the road with hektic oversteer than to plow towards the gaurdrails in fwd

manual will also hold more value in a car like this

They get in to ~250ish rwhp with the turbo alone. personally I think that's a bit underwhelming for an additional $5k, but to each their own. Lack of real power is why I got rid of mine. My point was that dealers are charging at a minimum an additional $10k over the Type R's msrp because they're "coveted". The 86 will never have that problem. So the guy who originally mentioned that the Type R was $8k higher didn't mention that aspect.

Okay upon further consideration I'll get the manual, now comes the fun part of finding one I like and that the dealer won't Jew me for.

I mean, you need to know the fundamentals of weight transfer for FWD, but it's honestly a lot better, especially traction-wise, in snow.

Either get a manual or get another car. These things are absolutely miserable with the auto. Do not do it.

Yes. Just do as the truckers do, everyone behind will thank you for coasting slowly. Lessens the delay effect.

If you want an auto sports car, get the 2018 Ecoboost Mustang. The 10 speed in that is about as good as an auto can possibly get without spending Porsche money.

Sounds like a parroted-meme tier excuse user. Get that dick outta your mouth and L2drive

Don't be a pussy, I've had an hour commute in a manual for like 7 years. Traffic too. The 86 has one of lightest, easiest clutches I've ever driven. I've taught several people to drive in mine and they all had it down within about five miles.

For real though the auto on 86s is horrendously bad. If you're gonna deal with a slightly uncomfortable car for daily driving anyway don't also cuck yourself with the terrible auto that shifts like a retarded Asian woman, makes less power, and costs more money.

Only if you're a faggot who can't drive. Chuck snow tires on it for like three hundred bucks and it's a beast in the snow.

It's super sketchy on the stock tires. Get cheap snows (general altimax is fine) and it's no problem at all.

Thanks OP, I didn't know these came in automatic but now I am sending a complaint to Toyota about it.

OP I don't know about the Subaru side of things, but Toyota is offering a $1k cash offer on new 86s right now.

New is too expensive, I'm getting it for almost 50% off new price used with only 30k miles so it's much more affordable

What did you replace your 86 with?

I bought a 2014 BRZ new
it has been my dd since then i've got about 55,000 miles
>is it fun?
yes it's very fun. definitely go for the manual as other people have said it's very easy to drive and learn.
I have to deal with city traffic as well and you don't even notice you're in a manual once you're used to it

Can't wait to go test drive some, I'll go test drive automatics over the next few weeks to get a feel for the car and how it should run before I buy a manual one.

Manual as a DD is just fine, even in traffic, assuming you're accustomed to manual. What's irritating?

>clutch and throttle are numb unless you're driving hard - they should adjust the drive by wire and add a sport mode if they need to maintain MPG ratings
>torque dip sucks - again, sport mode button solution

But it's entirely livable once you get used to the notion that it's fun when you lay in to it, not when you're casually cruising.