Horsepower vs torque?

horsepower vs torque?

Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races.

Torque is one way to make power
RPM is another

horespower is a product of tourqe thats like asking whats better peanuts or nutbutter

They are the same thing, or really different measurements of the same thing.
IIrc, torque is a measurement of the ability to do work, and horsepower is the ability to do work overtime.
I'm saying all this off the top of my head after about 10 seconds of thought so I may not be remembering correctly.

Torque is how much work you can do, power is how much work you can do and how quickly

I see, so I was pretty close then

Torque is how hard you an pedal a bike. HP is how fast you can keep pedalling it whilst still adding power it without the freewheel kicking in.

torque allday senpai
even tho my car is like 140 hp it has 315 NM of torks which lets it do mad skidz if you do a kickdown its like you dump the clutch and the rear tires let loose 80% of the time

so basically torque then?

tork makes even slow cars fun

Wat?
You'd think the way torque is measured is pretty self explanatory, if you attach a 1m rod how many Newtons of force will the engine exert, or in murica a foot long rod and lbs.

>Torq
How far you get pushed back
>horse powa
How long you stay there

This

Torque is rotational force at a given moment
Horsepower is the rate at which work is done

thats not how it works kys

power.
more torque = more power.
low end torque = low end power
its always power, it always has been power, it always will be power.

Torque is a rotational force, horsepower is torque measured over time.

the term torque has always been used interchangeably with work and force when automotive engines are concerned.
Right or not, we don't need your sperg autism here

Horsepower is the only relevant metric when it comes to the speed of the car but don't tell Americans that.

what a cute doggy woggy.

>DIESEL
>FUCKING
>FIAT

Horsepower is a measure of work done over time
Torque is rotational force.
You can have no movement and have torque, but you need movement for horsepower

Torque is good for getting things moving and keeping them going.
Horsepower is good for getting things going fast

In the end does it matter if the car is fast? A high RPM screamer can gear low to accelerate fast and have good speed, a grunty monster can gear higher to go fast and still accelerate well because of torque. Fuck these stupid threads.
I've never seen a post of lower intelligence than these. Fucking bravo.

You must not have ever clicked on an Alphonse/prezo/soviet thread then

There's at least intelligence there to keep an "argument" they don't believe a word of going, but those are close seconds.

I like to cruise at low rpm, not much of a hoon, so I prefer torque. Also useful if you ever need to tow something. Towing is absolutely impossible if your car is all power, no torque.

>need to wait for the engine to redline before getting powa
>need to stay at 5k to keep up with a Honda fit
idea for an icebreaker: ask your bus driver why what you just typed is retarded

M8, you accuse ME of bait? Go race a Leopard TAG kart against a Rotax. Extra RPM to play with is great. Revving high doesn't hurt an engine as long as it's warm and not hitting valve float, and for fuel economy, there's overdrive gears. If you can't appreciate small screamers and larger engines you're doing it all wrong.

My dude i can appreciate all engines. From 1000N/m steam beasts to 360cc straight twin two strokes. so naturaly when someone comes in, autistically screeching and calling me an idiot for merely explaining what torque and horse power are. Yes i assume it's bait. My bad for assuming that people can't be this dumb.

Are you one of those "how fast you hit the wall, how far you take it with you" people? Because that's flat out wrong, as has been explained by other anons previously.

>tfw 450 torques

Horsepower sells cars, torque is what moves them off the lot.

Torque is a measure of turning force, typically measured in newton meters. The more torque you have the more force to overcome your inertia and thus accelerate you and your motor vehicle.
Horse power or kilowatts is 'work done' or maximum power output a little more complicated but generally boils down to how much of the revband the engine produces usable torque for.
Thus a car with little torque and high horse power will accelerate gently but for a long time. Theses engines typically have small cylinders and high compression ratios to accommodate higher rpms.
Engines with high torque and low horse power will accelerate hard but for a short period. Engines like this have large pistons, lower compression ratios and often some manner of forced induction
As with many things there is no subjectively right answer as to which one is best. But a good balance between the two is almost always the most widely applicable answer.

So the where the fuck did "how fast you hit the wall, how far you take it" come from if you knew what the two actually were about?

>first year apprentice writes almost correct paragraph on Veeky Forums explaining something he knows only the fundamentals of
You'll do alright kid

Torque is a measure of turning force, typically measured in newton meters. The more torque you have the more force to overcome your inertia and thus accelerate you and your motor vehicle.
Horse power or kilowatts is 'work done' or maximum power output a little more complicated but generally boils down to how much of the revband the engine produces usable torque for.
Thus a car with little torque and high horse power will accelerate gently but for a long time. Theses engines typically have small cylinders and high compression ratios to accommodate higher rpms.
Engines with high torque and low horse power will accelerate hard but for a short period. And have big positions, low compression ratios and often some sort of forced induction
As with 90% of things discussed here there is no right answer. But a good balance is the best. What that balance is is the real question.

>tfw 546 torques, from a 2.3 liter (non-diesel)

how many torques does a diesel fiat punto make?

horsepower lets you go fast
torque lets you do burnouts

burnouts

>call everyone idiots
>establish taste as all noise and no power
>call everyone idiots again
Is the the prober technique senpai

Wrong, gearing is more important

best post best post

First post in this thread handsome

Different user than me you replied to, and you misread my post, and you still haven't said which post of the 4 I quoted you were, AND you failed to understand how screamers work.

Nope. Now hard and how long guy

You go screaming down the road a at 8k+rpm sounding like a wannabe F1 car right. The fact you can do that means you can still accelerate while doing 200mph in fifth. Just so long as you have a straight clear road

So as I asked above, if YOU ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND HP AND TORQUE, WHICH YOU DO BASED ON THE PARAGRAPH YOU WROTE HERE , WHY MAKE SUCH A STUPID, INNACCURATE POST LIKE ?????!!!

mad

thank you if this is accurate

i was this this one
was quoting randy pobst

>this entire thread
I can't tell if you're all just trolling, or are seriously retarded. except for the three of you who have it correct

Horsepower is a chick with big tits. Torque is a girl who can give good head.

Think about it, brahs!

I have very little of either.

nice picture 2b desu

other way round kiddo.

yes