Based purely on appearance and what we know about the transmission, if you had the money for a new car...

Based purely on appearance and what we know about the transmission, if you had the money for a new car, would you buy it instead of an ND Miata?

I like the peen in the grill.

Mazda 3, which I actually just bought

over a miata, I guess

Instead? Do you really thing this would compare with the MX-5 both in price and performance? Are you even aware this car is developed by GRMN, Toyota's performance division?

it's ugly
whoever disagrees is objectively wrong

No

It's a hybrid so it's going to be even heavier than the BRZ. It'll also cost more. Why would I want that over a regular BRZ or a Miata?

It's a targa top automatic-only coupe based on the GT86 that has an optional manual stick mode. It would obviously be a competitor to the MX-5.

I can't fucking stand modern designs. I imagine all designers being massive snobs who create these autistic features not because they actually GOOD look but because someone hasn't done it before. I seriously hate pretentiousness.

Since this a concept car at this point it doesn't even matter but assuming the two are even in the same price range yes, I'd have this thing over a miata any day. A hybrid motor would allow for lots of off the lime torque and even if it's just a I4 it will still be just as fun as a miata plus the hybrid motor kick, all that said, I'll take a lightly used ND for 20ish thousand over what would inevitably be a 30+k car that this would end up being.

And the point I was trying to make but completely forgot: LOOK AT THOSE FUCKING HEADLIGHTS, WWHHHHYYYY????

No way fag. I drive for fasts, not feels. This car is clearly built for cruising around canyon roads at incredibly modest speeds, hence why they went with a fake H pattern despite having no mechanical justification for doing so. A sequential is faster and less error prone.

I'm either hauling groceries or hauling ass so it doesn't make a lot of sense to own one of these over a utility vehicle and something properly fast like a motorcycle

I'd consider buying it used if it wasnt a fucking hybrid, assuming they unfuck the look a little.

Can someone legit explain to me what the fuck am I looking at?

Is this a shop?

Why would anyone waste so much space in stupid buttons.

Also explain to me what the fucking wichcraft is happening in that pic...

The only one who's pretentious is you.

HURR MODERN = BAD IM SO UNIQUE

It's like they thought the takimi rxt from rocket league looks good. They should have worked off the regular takumi, or even better the brz/panamera mash-up they released.

So there is a separate transmission for the gas engine, and the electric engine has an auto or a CVT? Does eco mode throw it in auto only using the gas engine to generate/charge the battery?

Wow that is ugly. I would get the Miata or wait for more details on this.

objectively the worst idea of the automotive industry of the past decade

>optional manual stick mode

How much will this be? I dont have much of an issue with the manual option depending on how it works. I love my manual, but i drive on the highway a lot with tons of traffic. Id prefer an auto for that. If its some weird hybrid trans i wouldnt mind as long as its actually manual, with a clutch pedal and a shift pattern that isnt a straight line.

Look at the pictures again. It's the most retarded way tgo operate a flappy paddle auto.

Umm, no sweetie. I like Mazda's modern designs and some other modern vehicles, but definately not all of them. Is that so wierd? I am right in saying that most modern designs have too many unnecesary autistic features though. Every era has their ugly cars, but today it's an epidemic. So fuck you.

I agree buttons are stupid, but it doesnt bother me. id mostly be using the manual "mode" anyway. Id only use the auto when i have to sit in slow/unmoving traffic.

nope

Gimme a stick-shift and ill take it.

You’re idea of ugly is warped. That 80’s shitbox you posted looks like a virginmobile.

kek saved

Honestly this is a pretty sweet pizza delivery vehicle and I'm not having children so I could just outright buy one. I wanted a C5 for the form factor and this is even better, but knowing toyota they won't even give it 200hp.

no thanks. it's a worse looking, automatic only 86.

If that's what they were going for then they failed.

It's an automatic with "manual" mode like you get with paddle shifters, but instead of paddles you get an h shifter.

I like it. It has pre-cyberpunk vibes

I agree

I think they look better than the shit slapped onto recent Lexus models.

it looks fantastic
the transmission thing is kinda wonky but i would tolerate it

>and what we know about the transmission
no

I never want to buy a car that's not a manual, and I never want to buy a car that's not a hybrid. I'm interested, but what the hell is this?

I could imagine making it directly control a servo-operated clutch and manual transmission. If it acts like a dumb "electric transmission linkage" and lets you stall or mis-shift I'd say it counts as a real manual transmission, just like drive-by-wire throttles aren't cruise control all the time.

It could also be a really pretentious flappy paddle selector like in a video game. That would suck.

There is no clutch

Will it be a DCT or a torque converter?
>inb4 CVT

Lol then buy a Prius.

This fucking thing won't sell for under 40k.

It's a Toyota hybrid, so it's based on their e-cvt
There are no gears, just 2 motor/generators doing double duty to have the right gearing
The only real gear is reverse, which is just a planetary reduction so you can't go 90 in reverse

I'm not bashing the design, I think it's great, but having a fake shifter is beyond retarded, when the car would benefit both in mpg and performance if left in auto

No. I mean it looks like a Reventon had an unholy spawn with a GT86 and out came this...downs ridden...thing. The GT86 normally is kind of nice looking but this is just horrible.

So I'd take the Miata, at least it looks normal and the ND is a good car on top of looking nice.

it's dct. not by name but by function. they would have to be mad to stick a cvt with a manual but a dct makes sense. also there is no clutch pedal as far as we know which pretty much means it has to be similar to a dct.

That said, I'm precisely the target market for this thing so I'm still interested even if the transmission is shameless pandering.

>I'm not bashing the design, I think it's great, but having a fake shifter is beyond retarded, when the car would benefit both in mpg and performance if left in auto

Yeah, Toyota's HSD is an engineering marvel but fake shifting of any kind is a complete waste on a CVT.

The only real way to do a CVT justice would be to have a sliding shifter so you can adjust gearing on demand
Too bad normies can't be expected to know how transmissions work so you get fake shift points instead

I've been saying that for a while but I always get the same people arguing normies would fuck up that belt by just throwing it in the top gearing settings because they don't understand.

the t-top is cool, but why the fuck did they put a gloss plate on the front bumper attached to a matte finished car? The bumper looks weird anyway and that just makes it worse. Headslight are ok I guess

Also this seems like it's just a worse sequential transmission because of its goofy-ass drive train. Remember the crappy transmission on the MR-S? Surely it will be no better than that, which sucks, because I bet Toyota could make it dope as shit.

>wondering what the fuck that thing is
>look it up
>it's literally an automatic when you want it manual when you don't
>like a legit h pattern shifter clutch and everything but flip a switch on the top and it goes into automatic mode
wait what
i want this now

>There are no gears, just 2 motor/generators doing double duty to have the right gearing

mean to say GOD DAMNIT TOYOTA YOU FUCKS, DON'T PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS LIKE THIS

>Ugly
>Modern design
They're paying homage to their groupe B car that never made it's debut. I'm really surprised by Veeky Forums's reaction to this car. I was expecting you all to ride Toyota's dick about it
This guy gets it

no doubt those wheels are designed from current ts50 lmp1 cars,

its so ugly it makes the ND look good

Id just take a GT86 over both of those shits

Just because it's a hastily cobbled shadow of the the MR-2 Group S with TS050 wheels, doesn't mean it's tasteful or well-executed.

The MR-2 Group S was badass and purposeful, this is just a GT86 in drag, lazy.

>off the lime torque