Best OBD2 dongle and smartphone app

Anyone ever use these? Are the $100 ones worth it, or are the $20 ones suitable for the average user? What's the best iPhone app to use with them? I just want to clear my check engine light and see if a new air filter solves my cylinder misfires.

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/2013-Top-Rated-ELM327-Vgate-Scan-Advanced-OBD2-Bluetooth-Scan-Tool-Support-Android-and-Symbian-Free/818729884.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.nZj1tl
aliexpress.com/item/Top-Quality-ELM327-v1-5-Super-mini-obd2-Bluetooth-Scanner-Code-Reader-for-Android-phone-Windows/32690134452.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well, problem with those is you never know what shit you'll get. Quite recently I bought one from Mr. Chinkman and can confirm it works well on iPhone and Android.

Here's a link to the exact one I bought: aliexpress.com/item/2013-Top-Rated-ELM327-Vgate-Scan-Advanced-OBD2-Bluetooth-Scan-Tool-Support-Android-and-Symbian-Free/818729884.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.nZj1tl

i have the bafx one and it works well.

And before someone says 'just make sure it's ELM327' I want to say: fuck you. A lot of sellers say that, but very often those are not ELM327. Went through 4 different bluetooth ones until I found one that works well.

it won't work with iphone.

Interesting since that one apparently supports Honda, although a lot of the more expensive ones found on Amazon can't read the "manufacturer specific" codes from Honda for whatever reason.

Cylinder missfire won't be solved by an air filter.

You need to check injectors and spark plugs, if sparkplug is faulty it'll of course not fire properly, but if an injector is stuffed up it'll cause that cylinder to run lean, could cause detonation if the other variables line up.

I had a BAFX $20 one on amazon, but my truck was stolen, then I got a $6.99 one on fleabay and it works exactly the same and just had a different sticker on it. Thats how the chinese economy works.

Some of them advertise that they only work with Android/Windows, but I don't want to drop $100 on a BlueDriver that does the same thing as a $20 piece of chinkshit.
Well damn I guess I'll see if they're corroded, but they were supposed to be the NGK platinum plugs..

Pretty much all those chink things run on the same ELM327 microcontroller.

While you're in there, yank your injectors and dunk them in a bucket of diesel to clean them out.

It's not about the adapter itself (at least in a Honda case, god forbid Citroen), but a software. Basically, the interface reads all the data, but the software is responsible for properly recognizing it. Except the fact the UE requires several codes to be consistent across all vehicles for diagnosticians (those lads who check your car annually to verify if it is suitable to drive safely) - e.g. lambda or misfires.

Wireless works with iPhone where as the Bluetooth ones are incompatible.

>say that, but very often those are not ELM327. W

Well mostly they are chink clones of ELM327. But in my experience they work in 90% of cases. I managed to clear errors on '13 Cruze that Delphi couldn't even access. Using Torque app on Android, never used it on iPhone desu.

What app you used with iPhone?

OBD Car Doctor is supposed to be pretty good.

>are the $100 ones worth it
If you have a more modern car yeah
The Chinese ones only read generic OBD2 codes, but my bluedriver can read and clear codes from all sorts of modules like the transmission computer in a Mercedes

>Anyone ever use these?
It's similar to what my stealership uses when they do an inspection and charge $278 for the diagnosis.

With android tablet, you get a reasonably large display area. Typically, I find OBD2 types that work with only one (android) and not the other (apple).

again, it has nothing to do with the adapter itself

It does actually. Compare the number of pins

BlueDriver gives you free updates for life even if it is all software. You don't see Torque doing more than generic OBD2 codes

Spending $100 on bluedriver only makes sense if you scan alot of cars. Might as well save money and buy a $15-20 OBD to USB cable and pirate the manufacturer software

What are some other good Android apps besides Torque? The map view feature is pretty cool but the fuel economy plug in keeps bugging out on me

For Ford and Mazda ForScan, for others look at brand specific forums.

>it has nothing to do with the adapter itself
Your opinion is from the ivory tower where all product makers obey standards that they claim their products satisfy. You forget that many of these products are by chinese makers who have varying types of elm style clone chips on top of varying versions of firmware. The chinese are also firm believers in selling defective and weak components on the secondary market. The alibaba re-seller might have a good batch from one supplier, but then resells a poor batch from a different supplier later on. Of course, you don't realize that because you only see that reseller and have no idea of which suppliers furnish profitable items to resell.

Even on amazon.com people have commented that resllers there claim to have a specific version or the latest version, but upon checking, it is an old or even ancient version. It's craig's list level of inconsistent reliability there due to the chinese suppliers and chinese resellers.

It's too bad the sheer volume sales of the chinese lowquality products drives off or cockblocks the decent makers.

Do you guys ever think about the vulnerability plugging shit like this into your car exposes you to? Any government could be installing malware on your car's computer that they could activate via bluetooth killswitch or something. This is how most hacks of major secure agencies are done nowadays, people buy usb dongles from the store or a mouse or a mico SD store, but what they don't know is that it came prepackaged with some sort of malware that will infect their system. They start with less secure systems and start their way up. I wouldn't be surprised if things like this start being used for assassination in the future.

>it has nothing to do with the adapter itself
Adapter choices do seem to matter. Some adapters work only on android and poorly for apple, and vice versa. That is stated by some sellers on the Amazon site. Those sellers have same branded adapters sold separately for use with android or apple. So just because both the maker and reseller claims the product is OBD2 doesn't mean the OBD2 device can be used for any app that can read OBD2 codes. SO, adapter choice does matter for chinese products.

Let me throw my experience into the ring. This is what I bought and let me say a fucking love it. It's fast, it's easy to use, it checks readiness, it reads manufacturer specific codes, it gives live data, and it's honestly well built.
I bought one of the cheapo OBD2 to USB ones and I tried different drivers and software and I could never get it to work right. Literally don't waste your time on the super cheap shit when this is $26.

The fuck

Not that guy, but hackers in europe have created hacked printer drivers and printer firmware and loaded those into printers at a major corporation. The printers have wifi so they can backdoor out info from the system even when the printer display setting has been manually set to no wifi.

i understand that. but millions bought these things, how would they know which one was yours?
it's not like there is only one white prius on the road.

Aren't most ecus aside from special tuner ones read only? Or can that be hacked too¿?

there is a very limited amount of stuff that can be done thru the OBD port on older cars. Anything pre-CAN is basically a closed system, you need physical hardware access to the computers to load software.

on new cars you're somewhat right because the OBD port can be used to communicate with other modules but the software would have to target specific models of car or module since manufacturers do not always use the same components across their model lines.

You are grasping at extreme straw dummies in order to defend your deliberate ignorance. Denial of reality is acceptable for those who wish to live in their own world viewed by rose-shaded glasses, but your willingness to post extreme and unusable situations is more like what Alphonse or trolls would do.

Shill, pls go.

Get an adapter from obdsol

Oh boy, here comes /x/. What ever will I do if the government can read and clear my trouble codes. God forbid I just unplug the thing when I'm done, otherwise the government might hack me with a bluetooth dongle that has an effective range of about 3 feet before the signal dies.

The carista one is £10 on amazon. It works with other apps so you don't need to pay their subscription.

All they need to do is ask the car manufacturer to look at your codes, GPS, and driving history. It's all stored by your car's computer and time-synched list of OBD2 data. Some car companies even have that data automatically wirelessly sent back to the database even if you don't subscribe to a service like OnStar.

>talk about a product you like
>"durr shill"
I expect this behaviour from /v/

Ordered a $20 Kobra wi-fi dongle from Amazon last night. Wish me luck, gents. As long as it can turn off my check engine light and track my fuel consumption, it'll be worth it.

Can someone use this to cover up a check engine light (or other dash lights) for cars sold on craig's list?

I suppose they theoretically could, but the light will just come back on again after driving for a bit if the underlying problem is still there. They can also temporarily turn the CEL off by simply disconnecting the car's battery, but it'll come right back on again if you just drive the car for a bit.

bafx one is gud

My old one that ended up going DED had the ability to permanently shut off light codes

did it for my sikk cat delete on taurus

How do you think this slot give you access to all this information about the rest of your car if its computer isn't connected to those systems? They've shown hackers can lock steering or cut power to engine at hacking conventions from shit that was linked into less systems than this computer is. Code is a crazy little thing, it can execute on any platform capable of running it, all it needs is an in.

Let's say somehow shit goes down and war breaks out between China and the US, they could make every car who plugged in one of their malware infested chink car peripherals accelerate and lock steering all at the same time.

I don't think any of this is likely btw, I just think it's possible.

my advice:
buy a cheap one from amazon so you can return it if it doesn't work.

if you are looking for VERY basic performance info or occasionally to clear a check engine light (except ABS or weird luxury model codes) they work fine with most asian vehicles.

HOWEVER, certain american manufacturers use signaling protocols that the knockoff ELM327 chips don't support, that's where you will end up with shit not working. happens sometimes with the european ones too.

If you want to get detailed performance data at a much higher rate or you have an incompatible vehicle, buy something from OBDLink who makes some good shit at much more reasonable pricepoints than the competitors. Torque Pro is an amazing app to digest the data or parse OBDII codes if you have an android phone/tablet for only $3.

How would it be possible if those chink adapters don't have any way to connect to the internet?

And I doubt China is doing shit like that when their entire economy is based around d selling junk to America and other countries. There's a reason why they're like to NK "if you launch anything at the US you're on your own"

They could set them all to go off at the same time from the start.

For what purpose?

Make sure it's ELM327 revision 1.5 with actuall PIC microcontroller, obviously it's still chink clone of the real ELM327, but works best.

I have exactly this one: aliexpress.com/item/Top-Quality-ELM327-v1-5-Super-mini-obd2-Bluetooth-Scanner-Code-Reader-for-Android-phone-Windows/32690134452.html

As for software, Torque is good for live monitoring and Carista is also great for reading error codes beyond engine and customizing things on VAG cars, don't know how well it works on other brands.

Crashing these cars with no survivors

I really haven't found a decent fucking app for doing any real diagnostic work.

Torque claims to show O2 data and Fuel trims but neither display the correct information as compared to my shop's Solus and Modis scanners.

What is Vin

Vehicle Identification Number, every car has one

>was buying cheap counterfeit chinese dongles part of your plan?
OF COURSE!
>if i unplugged the dongle
>will you stall?
it would run extremely rich
>you're a big car

>$15-30
>for a chanese dognle and porque
>actual ECU readings
>not as good as expensive shop diagnostic tools
>surprised that vehicle sensors can't give accurate information
my dude, i've seem to have lost my sides i have

>how would they know which one was yours?
The VIN and other data is part of the OBD2 data. And before you think only engine info is there, it also has your brakes and other info. My local police will connect to OBD2 to obtain car info when there are multiple car collisions. That determines when drivers jammed on their brakes and for how long ABS and other features remained on for correlation checking with skid marks. The exact fractional second times can be compared to all cars because the timebase is accurate due to GPS and satellite updates for the GPS timebase.

As for how nosy? Well, my car has an OEM feature "Teen Report Card" which can be set before a car is borrowed by teenagers in the family (or anyone else actually). You can set it before giving it to the dealer shop too in order to verify if their road monkey abused the car during the driving test. It records the path (and can show the path and speeds on a map in my android app. It knows the speed limits of major roads and will highlight the parts of the path where the car was speeding. It shows when hard braking, over revving, hard accel, and when ABS was engaged. It shows weaving in the roadway and if the car was "driving on the line" on marked highways. I can also set a top speed limit and even a max volume limit on the radio. Naturally, it shows if all passengers have seat belts on since it has weight sensors on the seats. And other stuff too such as the highest speed the car was driven.

With all that being a feature of my car, surely one should fear what happens if the OBD2 data is handed over to insurance companies once the privacy law is given an exemption to access all modern car OBD2 data. My car collects data and then broadcasts a short burst of data wirelessly to the nearest cell tower. Other car manufacturers also have similar services.

All the more reason to drive either an early obd2 car that doesn't have most of that, or even a 95 or earlier car that doesn't have obd2 at all.

I use OBDEleven for my Audi, it's pretty good.

What car do you have?

I have a new GM car with almost all option packages and of course it comes with the free trial OnStar, free internet hotspot WiFi router with internet access for 3 months, etcetera. All those automation packages that let you parallel park the car, stay in lane, automatic cruise control adjustments, and more, well those all have sensors. Those sensors and the computer keep track of the lane you're in. If you shift over too much, the steering wheel vibrates or even MOVES gently to re-steer the car back into the middle of the lane away from the line markings. But because of those features, it also means the data is available to be recorded on a report card.

A $10 ELM 327 and Torque Pro
Works on my 04' SAAB without problems.

>Torque claims to show O2 data and Fuel trims
That's only true if the chinese gadget is correctly providing the information. Their OBD2 clone could have software errors in it.

Bought a $10 ELM327 Wi-Fi OBDII mini scanner off eBay.

Took about a month to get to my house, but well worth it.

I use it on iPhone (the Bluetooth ones don’t work with iPhone) with an OBDII scanner app, you gotta download a bunch and find one that suits you and is free (don’t pay for them and don’t buy the in-app purchases).

On my 99 GS300 it shows everything including speed, RPM, coolant temp and all the sensors. On my 97 Cherokee it shows trouble codes and thats about it, can clear codes as well.

IMO well worth it, don’t waste money on anything more than $20.