/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General - Ded in 64-bit Edition

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897
pastebin.com/1ucrHEjs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

rip dorfposting

Boats when?

When murdered. (funny)

Everytime a zombie walks over one of my serrated blade weapon traps the game crashes.
What do? only using dfhack

Migrants have arrived!

When trap components break, they crash the game, might be that

POTTERY!

So whats the solution besides deleting the traps?

>Cap'nduck trying to channel some lava for a forging area
>spends 40min of a stream making an over-complicated pump system
>it's taking lava out of the side of a volcano, moving it up one z-level then dropping it down again
>he keeps claiming it's to keep magmacrabs n shit out of his forges
>mfw he could've just used a fortification, channeled holes for his forges and placed the solid tiles over the holes to keep everything out
Fuck man I'm so done watching this guy, fuck him. The more popular he's gotten the dumber and more risk-adverse he's gotten.

Known bug with 0.43. Being fixed next version (comes out probably next month) so just don't use weapon traps until then.

Making traps out of materials that don't break as easily obviously

Probably this Similar thing happened to me when my squad ran through and activated some weapon traps trying to get a forgotten beast

Anyone know how to remove fog in stonesense? "Toggle occlusion" doesn't do it, and doesn't appear to do anything at all.

weapon traps jam after a while, so it'll happen regardless. Just have to stop using them until toady releases the update.

So I guess Im just fucked, right?
I doubt 20 military dwarves can deal with this.

Figured it out. It has it's own init with an option to turn it off.

>close gates
>send marksdwarves to fortifications and pillboxes
>get free marksmanship skillups
Also, a Necro you think?

Also you could release your FBs from the caverns and see how many undead they take out.

Can someone recommend me some fun races mods? I don't want to scroll through thousands of MLP and Fallout mods

lift up that bridge, seal the fort

Use stonefall traps, you elf.

We had a guy in /dfg/ making a Monster Girl mod but haven't seen him post in a while. He was also working on a Dark Souls mod too.

20 can and will kill them, just don't rush everyone.

>Stonefall traps
>On zombies

ZM5's modpack is good, It has creatures and races from Warcraft and Dragon's dogma.

This. Just let in a couple of zoombies at a time into a kill room, but i'd just use them to get 50 legendary marksdwarves personally.

I dont have archers or a pillbox yet, barely a year in, though this is my entrance.
Creatures can walk through fortifications right? How deep of a channel before the fortifcation would I need to make it unpassable by zombies?

I made this

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12897

>retire adventurer
>decide to try to take him on as another adventurer
>its been 8 so far and I haven't been able to do it, the original keeps getting stronger

>my fancy helmet will protect me!
Hit so hard that his head ripped off. It never happened to me before.

Just make a bowyer's workshop and turn some wood/bones into some crossbows. Draft 40 guys into squads and give them the crossbows.

Make your miners dig out strategic sniping areas in nearby walls/cliffs, smooth and carve Fortifications.

Turns your fort into a bunker network that can safely snipe everything on the map.

>Creatures can walk through fortifications right?
Only if the fortification is submerged in water and the creature is small enough to swim through the hole.
>How deep of a channel before the fortifcation would I need to make it unpassable by zombies?
One tile deep, 2 tiles wide should be fine.

They are surprisingly effective. Stone hits 3 times and each time it crushes some of zombie's parts.

This. Stonefall traps used to be terrible but since pulping they're actually alright now.

seems interesting, user. I will try it out later.

dont forget the quivers. unless user has 40 leather lying around theres no way to slaughter any animals or buy any leather

Caverns

HOW DO I MAKE MY HUNTER CARRY MORE THAN 20 BOLTS SO THAT HE CAN ACTUALLY KILL SOMETHING

Use the military tab and increase the ammunition hunters can carry

THEY'RE SET TO CARRY 100 BOLTS, THEY ONLY TAKE ONE QUIVER THOUGH

Thanks. There are still a few bugs with the Manat race that I cannot solve and can't seem to find anyone who knows how to help me, but they shouldn't break the game or anything. The rest of it works fine, and if the Manat bugs ever get fixed, you should be able to update the game/save without any issues.

JUST INCREASE THE NUMBER, YOU DOUBLE ELF

More importantly, it shouldn't take that many fucking bolts to kill something.

>Creatures can walk through fortifications right?
They cannot.

THANK YOU FOR THE SUGGESTION I APPRECIATE YOU TRYING TO HELP ME
HOWEVER THE PROBLEM REMAINS
THE HUNTER WILL ONLY CARRY ONE QUIVER, WHICH ONLY FITS 20 BOLTS
THIS IS ON THE FIRST YEAR SO NOVICE HUNTER, AND I'M ON A TUNDRA SO I CAN'T SPARE THE FUEL TO MAKE METAL BOLTS

Swimming through fortifications doesn't depend on creature size. As long as it's got 7/7 water or magma on it any creature can move through it.

>when you're trying to designate an area but you keep getting the depot access overlay instead

made me chuckle

How to clear vauts?
>corner cheese
Is it common knowledge?

>Embark on vault
>Abandon fort
>Reclaim
>Angels dead from starvation

FUCKING FINALLY FUCKING DIALOGS SHIT...

My secret shame for like the last year since the new df version has been that names.lua wasn't updated.

I couldn't figure out what happened that broke the old "df.viewscreen_setupadventurest:new(), subscreen = 3" trick to get the simulateinput > custom name screen to come up and had shit luck fixing it.

Finally after several scripts I got a better feel for the gui side of things and went back at it, had some hilarious overflows (fucking terminal spamming errors at a thousand miles an hour) but finally got it figured the fuck out and set up properly:
pastebin.com/1ucrHEjs

You can:
>target a unit > rename them
>target an artifact > rename it
>set first fucking names

You no longer need to:
>specify -unit or -item
>use the shitty fucking -first "blah" method to set first names
>run the script again to apply the changes

It is not possible to embark like that without hack.

k

Target unit and what command?

So use dfhack

it was a meme response anyways

kimberlite

Damn fine piece of mineral.

>pastebin > raw > save page as > [your df folder]/hack/scripts/names.lua
>target unit
>type names

> While I was in the boat, I captured a very beautiful elf woman, whom the said Lord Admiral gave to me. When I had taken her to my cabin she was naked—as was their custom. I was filled with a desire to take my pleasure with her and attempted to satisfy my desire. She was unwilling, and so treated me with her nails that I wished I had never begun. But—to cut a long story short—I then took a piece of rope and whipped her soundly, and she let forth such incredible screams that you would not have believed your ears. Eventually we came to such terms, I assure you, that you would have thought that she had been brought up in a school for whores."-Commander Urist

>embarking near a tower
Mistakes were made

>Pirotess

>cloud of wicked smoke (turns everything into evil zombies) arrives
>seconds later a migrant wave arrives
>figure i can leave the front door open since the migrants and smoke aren't too close to eachother
>mfw 1 minute later

What's the most fun thing you've done as an adventurer? Mine is building up a cabinet of skulls, and a close second is chopping off all of the limbs but one off a goblin. I tried to get rid of the last one, but he died of bleeding before I could.

Currently only have access to tetrahedrite and Galena, so copper and silver.
The correct thing to do here is make silver Warhammers, never ever copper axes, right? Then make axes after I get iron for steel?

Yup. Silver warhammers are actually the best "mundane" weapon against goblins, with legendary users, as far as I know.

Race war in a big town. It was pretty diverse so you had elves, goblins, dorfs, animal people ect living in it. But the problem was that for some reason Goblins were the biggest fucking troublemakers and whenever I was walking around town they'd be starting trouble and beating up innocent townsfolk. Well a righteous man like my adventurer wouldn't stand for it, so he went to a bar on the outskirts of town, gathered some lads, and started a campaign to kill or drive out every dirty greenskin from the town wall. Now it was harder than it seemed, because you know, you had to be super careful to avoid witnesses since it'd be game over if we made an enemy of the civ, so I had to do all sorts of guerilla tactics and ambushes to cleanse the city, like waiting in alleyways for a goblin to pass by, or attacking with bows and crossbows so they couldn't see us, or slitting throats in the dead of night. Eventually we got them all though. I know it might seem edgy and stuff but doing all of that while trying to avoid getting caught was pretty intense and definitely fun.

>dwarf wing death squads

What's the best way to have a fortress of autistic dorfs who have no sense of right and wrong? Pit goblins in an arena with elvish traders and PoW?

havent played in a few years. are there still faggot dwarves?

I ended up in a hamlet that had bandits for about 98% of its population. They surrounded me by the well and I ended up killing every single one over the course of 3 RL hours. I was able to get occasional rests by sprinting and jumping onto rooftops. It wasn't anything that flashy and I was covered in bruises and broken fingers, but something about strategizing it move by move was really satisfying, since my skills weren't much higher than theirs.

The other good one was when I found an enslaved demon in the center of a fortress beloinging to an enemy human population. The moment I asked him to come with me it was webs and 1-shot kills everywhere. I eventually lost him when we were entombed in ice together trying to cross the sea to an island owned by elves. This was in 34.11.

What do you mean faggots? If you mean homosexual dwarves, yes, and if you mean stupid dwarves, yes.

Sure. You can change 1 line of text if you want em out.

I could be wrong, but I think homosexual pigs, cows, and dogs are less of a problem than they were.

>mfw adding [VERMIN_HATEABLE] to elves
[SPOILER]is this actually going to work? i want to see a dwarf who "absolutely detests Elves"[/spoiler]

>fortress dies to zombie attack, absolutely 0 survivors
>come back to Fort as adventurer
>go inside
>dwarf merchant with horses inside amongst corpses
>horses are hauling items from inside the fort
>merchants are walking around picking stuff up
>mfw dwarf looters exist
Holy shit never knew this happened

>I could be wrong, but I think homosexual pigs, cows, and dogs are less of a problem than they were.
I'm finding the same thing

also virtually every historical figure migrant is married (to the opposite sex)

I got a migrant who was the daughter of the queen and married to a woman

Don't use the rapist and you will never even notice.

>science memes
>mastershit

Why am i not suprised?

I think that's from that bug where merchants and their wagons would randomly appear in forts after retire/reclaim.

>walking around picking stuff up
They're not doing that. They may be walking around, but they're certainly not picking items up. The only times creatures in the game will pick items up are in fort mode for thieving animals and kobolds, wrestling creatures gaining possession of items equipped by their targets, and fort mode merchants packing their stuff up from the depot.

>skimming through z-levels
>stop when I see a bunch of misaligned asymmetrical pillars in a room
>they're moving around

Ostrich farm was a mistake.

oh god
if 3 Os stood in a line and didn't become a wall, I think I'd have an aneurysm

how do you remove driftwood?

I've never tried but I imagine magma would work
can you build a construction over it? a road?

How do you remove elf?

still don't really get construction. Ive got tons of idle dwarfs yet no one is doing the building Ive assigned.

[q] over the building
does it require a certain labour?

also make sure the site is accessible, you might've blocked it off in a corner (dwarves won't build on diagonals unless the tile is accessible from some other direction too)

>minecart full of ostrich meat to knock the treefucker into a magma pool

They're allergic to steel. Apply liberally.

here's how to get rid of (((gay))) dwarves

from pathlib import Path
d = Path(".")
for x in list (d.glob("**/*.txt")):
with x.open() as f:
lines = f.readlines()
i = 0
num = [0, 0]
newlines = lines
for line in lines:
if "[MALE]" in line:
newlines[i] += "\n[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:0:100]\n[ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0]\n"
num[0] += 1
elif "[FEMALE]" in line:
newlines[i] += "\n[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:100:0:0]\n[ORIENTATION:MALE:0:0:100]\n"
num[1] += 1
i += 1
if num != [0, 0]:
print ("Straightified", num[0], "male creatures and", num[1], "female creatures in", x)
with x.open(mode = "w") as f:
f.writelines(newlines)
else:
print ("No changes to", x)

save as whatever.py and run it in your objects folder, you'll need python installed

Successfully genned my first Large/Very Long/Very High/Everywhere world to adventure in. What should I expect?

How does someone survive this

it may be in the head, but it only damaged the liver

Dont do this, it creates thralling clouds

nice, thx senpai

>damaged the liver
>he's still living
next you'll tell me iceland isn't icy

Can't tell if you're serious or not. Liver damage doesn't mean instant death. It could take minutes or hours to bleed to death if the trauma is bad enough, or even days if the bleeding stops and there's functional damage.

Do semimegabeasts ever have children (outside of players capturing breeding pairs)?

I think so. pretty sure I had one world where ettins were breeding like rabbits

I don't really have room to breed two types of poultry. My two choices are blue peahens and giant masked lovebirds. Blue peahens are significantly more prolific egg-layers, laying 6-8 eggs to giant masked lovebirds' 4-5. But giant masked lovebirds are MUCH bigger, giving four times as many bones and three times as much food. They're also neater.

Should I breed the lovebirds, or is the amount I'd gain from the increase in egg laying simply more important?