Kobe Steel admits it faked data for alloy strength - lots of cars potentially affected

tl;dr your nip cars are more likely to be the DEATHTRAP cuz nips lied about the strength of steel

>Shares in Kobe Steel (KBSTY) slumped 22% in Tokyo on Tuesday after the company admitted faking data about the quality of some of its aluminum and copper products.

>Investors ditched the stock after the firm said 4% of products shipped over the 12 months to August 31 didn't comply with specifications agreed with customers, including Toyota (TM), Honda (HMC) and Nissan (NSANF).

>The industrial scandal engulfing Kobe Steel Ltd. began to reverberate overseas as Japan’s third-biggest steelmaker said its staff falsified data about the strength and durability of some aluminum and copper products used in planes, trains and potentially a space rocket.

>Toyota said it has found Kobe Steel materials, for which the supplier falsified data, in hoods, doors and peripheral areas. “We are rapidly working to identify which vehicle models might be subject to this situation and what components were used,” Toyota spokesman Takashi Ogawa said. “We recognize that this breach of compliance principles on the part of a supplier is a grave issue.”

>Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. spokesman Genki Ono said Kobe Steel aluminum was used in the MRJ regional jet as well as the H-IIA rocket, which was launched by Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency on Tuesday for a satellite.

Other urls found in this thread:

response.jp/article/2017/10/11/300892.html
theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/11/japan-kobe-steel-scandal-ford-toyota-honda-mazda-boeing
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not just Japanese cars... looks like Ford and GM are also customers of Kobe Steel.

>Nip companies doing bad things
Better not crash your car... if the Takata airbag doesn't kill you, the fake Kobe Steel aluminum may get you.

Is that why the Japanese car doors sound cheap when you close them?

>as well as the H-IIA rocket, which was launched by Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency on Tuesday for a satellite.

>be orbiting earth
>get letter in space mailbox
>fucking recall
>have to go back to earth
>they don't have any satellites or rockets, give you an Outlander as your loaner

>These guys are directly screwing up their own country's ambitions in the commercial aviation sector and space program.

This news certainly isn't going to help the Japanese aviation sector. What a shame.

Say good bye to Gundam and Nip Space program.

>Outlander
Since Subaru is under Toyota, Outlander is affected too.

picrelated: When German/American carmakers' face on this news, and Nip seppuku inbound.

Are their execs at least gonna an hero over this?

yikes.

As of this afternoon here is what the auto OEMs are saying:

Toyota: Kobe alloys used across multiple vehicles in applications such as hoods and back door structures, etc. They are confirming if further action is required.

Nissan: Similar to above but with added applications in the doors. They are confirming if the suspect alloys will have an impact on pedestrian protection performance.

FHI: As above with added implications in their aerospace products.

If it is found that KOBELCO components have a negative impact on the performance and/or durability, there is the possibility of a large recall.

Source: Response
response.jp/article/2017/10/11/300892.html

If our iQ is recalled I am going to demand a FULL REFUND.

weird, i dont see bmw, audi, or mercedes on that list.

another reason why you should never buy japshit cars. literal tin cans

They don't use Kobe Steel to make the cars. They have a long-term contracts with ThyssenKrupp, one of the world's largest steel producers.

>If our iQ is recalled I am going to demand a FULL REFUND.

You bought an iQ, they ain't gonna refund you shit because they already know your a cuck.

just making a dumbass comment about how the cars everyone hates on here are the ones not made out of repackaged aluminum foil.

Seems to be something rotten in Japanese corporate culture with this, Takata, and Nissan's issue.

>spend two generations rebuilding country from decimated shithole to trusted industrial powerhouse
>shithead boomers throw it down the toilet

Along with Mitsubishi and Suzuki falsifying fuel economy numbers, Olympus accounting scandal, TEPCO fuckup, and other events that are ruining Japan's reputation when it's the only advantage that they have vs. China.

The "Lost-Decade(s)" slump of the Japanese economy began several decades ago. Japan was having a slow decline for a while now due to an aging population and increasing competition from South Korea and China.

The only reason why they are still "good" is that their 70-80's boom set Japan really high. Japan's service sector was the first to take a hit during the 1990's decline, then electronics (nobody buys their tv's anymore and they can't even make cellphones), and the decline's symptoms are just starting to show in their manufacturing.

The crazy thing is any day now that shit is going to happen to America and we're massively inter-connected with the economies of like 95% of the world. That's going to be a BAD fucking day.

Even if you're in a country that initially benefits from the American economy getting Shrek'd it'll loop around and fuck your shit up after a few months to a year tops. America experienced the reverse of that after WW1, we had a big boom in the 1920s because all of our industrial competitors got bombed back 100 years but that shit caught back up in 1929. There were other factors of course, but we only had 11 years of prosperity because we made piles of cash off the war and were otherwise nowhere near as inter-connected as we are now.

Good time to invest a little money into a decent pistol and fighting rifle.

Well several differences: unlike Japan, America has more than enough manpower in the workforce, while the Japanese government is now encouraging retired people to come back to work.

America has all the natural resources it needs in their own land, while Japan has little to none (reason why they decided to focus on an export-manufacture economy). The comfort in resources is the reason why America can sit back and dominate the world's service industry, while still being rich without manufacturing.

Japan depends on manufacturing. Japan will suffer. America still has its new and uprising competitors (China and South Korea) to trade with. America has options while Japan does not. America will be fine.

>why do you want such an old car user?
>why not get something new instead of that old shitbox?

I still see it happening because our monetary policy has been inside out levels of retarded. The Japs did what they could with what they had and still ate it, while we have every possible resource but we're being completely retarded with it.

Or maybe I just think the grass is greener. I just always imagined Japan as a place that while not perfect is at least run very competently.

Well the only loss America will feel from a failing Japanese economy is the loss of customers for American goods and services.

Japan doesn't buy American manufactured goods, so they will not be impacted. Produce will take a minor hit, but because Japan imports most fruits from South America and wheat/legumes from Asia, American farmers will not be directly impacted.

American services will have a hit though. Anyways, if China loses customers and money, America will be indirectly affected (lose Chinese customers). But it's not going to be that bad as others say for America.

1974 Glorious Nippon steel everything, folded 10000 times. Fuck new cars.

nobody hates them because of the steel, they're hated because they're poorly designed.

pic related 2017 camry

>find cool old car
>immediately plaster it in boomer-tier """"accessories"""" like gauge pods and shift handle
>back up this amazingly shit taste with a good helping of weeb shit
Looking forward to seeing your drift charm collection on instagram my friend!

thank you!

Holy shit that salt. I just wanted a clock with temp gauge and a compass.

Yeah, nothing screams "properly designed" like constructing your cars out of Reynolds Wrap.

They can make cell phones and they make really good cell phones! for absolute normies who spend more time hanging out with real people than playing video games and browsing twitter.

Even japanese milennials hate japanese phones
>wow, does this even have niconicodouga?
>it has speed dial and national television, washimoto-chan.
>nani the fuck is that senpai? is it like fruit ninja desu?

>Own BMW
>VANOS seals are made of reynolds wrap
>rear subframe is spot welded with big league chew
>shift pin bushings are carefully carved from rubber erasers by german engineers
>water pump is actually a micro-jew in a hamster wheel, created with secret nazi technology, and needs frequent replacement
>"at least we didn't buy that one bad batch of kobe steel"

Knowing Japs they are probably freaking out over 5% mismatch in numbers which is not a big deal.

If say Toyota/Honda/Ford/GM used this crap steel in say the saftey support system of one of its cars. Wouldnt NHTSA, or IIHS be testing those cars after that steel was already in use anyways? Most likely the automakers didnt know therefore they would have sent out random cars off the assembly lines anyways. So the under spec'd metal would have been tested??

Lawyers going to cash in for sure anyways

B-but my Jap q-quality

>seppuku inbound
The irony, if they’re made to do it with knives made from Kobe Steel.

Nope. I will find the most vindictive lawyer and eviscerate your beloved shit, Nip, taking their money and dignity.

>Lawyers going to cash in for sure anyways
I will ensure that will happen!

When it comes to materials engineering, any deviation from spec is bad, because it can lead to failure of the thing that you make from the materials. That's a big problem when you're talking about shit like aircraft frames. Worse, lying about the quality of the materials is bad juju. The reason why you'd buy from a JP supplier like Kobe vs some Chinese company is that the Chinese are infamous for lying about shit like metallurgy, so with them you have to pay a small army of dudes to do 100% QC on the shit you buy. With Japanese suppliers, they'd earned the rep for delivering exactly on spec, so you didn't have to worry about doing your own QC as much, if at all. Now, companies are going to be more skeptical of the quality of Japanese shit, as will consumers. If this kind of shit keeps happening, Japan is set back four decades.

>The knife breaks mid-seppuku
>Stuck in excruciating pain with half a knife blade in your abdomen

American, Japan, and most of the EU. Funny how that works.

Then they need Solingen Knife. :^)

Don't car manufacturers test the steel they buy. I work replacing rust in barges and container ships and we have to test all the steel that comes in or the boat insurance dude will rape you.

Nip cars have been absolute death traps for the past 20 years. They get dozens of recalls on every single car and there's plenty of issues that the cars are never recalled for because they'll only kill a handfull of people so lawsuits won't be as expensive as doing a recall.

Don't drive nip cars. Takata should've been the last straw.

Is that writing really necessary

or even better one that ensures that seppuku inbound

no, it will trigger liberals, weeaboos, and nips.

So much for glorious Nippon steel, folded over 1000 meme

>Is that why the Japanese car doors sound cheap when you close them?
possible, but Jap cars are known as the tin cans.

>Own BMW
>car will literally rip out suspension attachment points (trailing arms, rear shock towers, subframe) under hard driving
>still considered the ultimate driving machine

Sounds like other cars do the same thing.

This could be bigger than Takata airbags or dieselgate but I bet it will be grossly undercovered by (((news agencies.)))

Subaru is owned by Fuji, is it not?

>what are BRZ and GT86

>Toyota Motor toy will pay $311 million to raise its stake in Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries to 16.5%, and the two companies said Thursday that they will develop cars together.

Four of the machines at work are Kobelcos
>concern.jpg

I'm really curious how far this rabbit hole goes...

Did Kobe overstate the material properties up front during initial development? If so, many automotive and aerospace companies do their own materials characterization, so this gap in material properties could have already been accounted for in the design.

Or, did Kobe provide material that met the requirements during development, and then during mass production produced material that didn't meet spec. If so, this could be a big problem. Although I'm surprised it would take this long to be caught. Many OEMs perform incoming receiving inspections or random audits on materials.

It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds and what specifically the gaps were to the material spec.

Yep. Couple all of this with a long(ish) period of time and the issues could be huge. This may be bigger than dieselgate. This could destroy the reputation of Japan for sure.

Rabbit hole indeed.

well, you should. no more worry-free.

>weeb
I hope you crash

Well the myth of Japanese invincibility ended for me during the massive Toyota recalls of late 2000/early 2010's.

Anyways, I still trust them more than, lets say Chinese and American cars. lol

>Although I'm surprised it would take this long to be caught.
You gotta remember in today's fortune 500 management career climate people only work at a place for maybe 2-3 years before moving up or out. No one has the time or resources to gives a fuck about actual performance, quality workmanship or product meeting specs since their boss' boss only care about numbers and product safety is someone else's problem.

That type of corruption is what ruined Mitsubishi automotive. It had decade after decade of managers falsifying info in order to get their short term benefits or to boost their retirement packages just as they were about to retire. Once retired with the higher rewards, they don't have to care. After decades of scandals, Mitsubishi motors sucked so much it faded away and had to be sold to Nissan primarily for its dealership chain and their locations.

fuck kobelco
look at what their engineers think is an acceptable drawing

So a minority stake? Not exactly owning them.

merican cars are the most reliable cars unironically for the past 10 years. Well GM and ford are.

>Not just Japanese cars... looks like Ford and GM are also customers of Kobe Steel.

Well, you can always switch to buying chinese steel or chinese aluminum.... As for chinese cars, Chery had a copycat of GM's Daewoo car eat up car sales. But then Chery tried to expand into other markets by trying to cheat crash test results. Chery took a GM Daewoo car, modded it a bit, and then re-skinned it with their Chery exterior and interior cabin. They then submitted that GM car as their own for the crash performance testing.

So just because chinese steel meets test results doesn't mean they don't try to switch items on you later on.

>Kobe Steel makes nuclear reactor and used fuel handling components currently in service at over half of all US reactors.
Fuck, this is going to cause a lot of paperwork for me.

why you?

Nuclear safety related paperwork is a bitch.

why do you have to do any paperwork about that? its not new.

retard it says they lied about aluminium and copper not steel

that's some low ass shit

10 CFR Part 21.

You have to reconcile the worst case to make sure you don’t have to decommission whatever is installed. That’s a lot of analysis.

>dieselgate
explain

>being this salt
>neglecting the worst offender: sticker on glovebox
the rest come off fairly easily

>aluminum and copper products

protip, this is not the same as steel.

>cars don't have any aluminum and copper

>>>nips lied about the strength of steel

Jesus.

Enjoy documenting about a billion chip samples.

KOREA WINS AGAIN
HIGH STRENGTH GOOK STEEL STRAIGHT FROM KANGAROO LAND

A huge metals company should never lie about their metallurgy in the first place. Especially one that is supplying materials for spaceships.

This is more a matter of trust and reputation of a country's manufacturing than anything. Lying makes them no different from Chinese companies.

so much for glorious nippon steel folded 1000 times huh?

>subaru
>outlander

what

they have forgotten their ancestors and must commit sudoku

Fuji changed their name to Subaru Corporation this April.

Outbacks are made in Indiana, which uses American steel. That is, if you meant to say Outback. Outlanders are Japanese built Mitsubishis.

So, subarus are affected, or not?

I own a brz, and i don't know if i should worry, or not.

Dieselgate was when VW tuned the computer on there diesels to sense when they were being tested for emissions and drastically change the running characteristics and thus pollution output of there diesel engines. This cucked Europe so hard that it directly led to the EU pushing all electric in so many countries because they feel they no longer can trust manufacturers.

How can you not know this, it's the biggest piece of auto news since the slushbox.

It's just the aluminum in doors and hoods produced in the 12 months leading up to this past August 31st. This article say Subaru is affected (meaning their factory in Otā, Gunma) but it doesn't list any specific models. In America, the models you can buy that were built in Japan include the Forester, WRX/STi, and BRZ. The Impreza/Crosstrek and Legacy/Outback are built in Indiana.

theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/11/japan-kobe-steel-scandal-ford-toyota-honda-mazda-boeing

Great, this would mean that recall is comming.
I own a 2017 brz, btw.

The lost decade is a product of the BOJ to become independent of the ministry of finance and to reform Japan from a state regulated economy to one of a more american style of economics. The Japanese ran a war economy post 50s that enjoyed the features of long employment and stable work. The "lost decade" was created by the BOJ by printing assloads of yen then making a huge amount of non-GDP based loans. Thats the reason why in Japan in the late 80s people in their 20s could buy 3/4 mansions(condos). When people asked for loans from banks the banks would give them "excess money" upwards of more than 100,000usd more than they asked for. Once the real estate bubble popped the BOJ then proceeded to insure messures that the economy wouldnt recover until there was complete reform of the monetary system to a more western one. This did happen 1998 and afterwards you saw dumb shit like Koizumi and his "no recovery without reform" motto.

What's wrong with it

i just never knew it by the dieselgate name

>Ctrl f
>Mazda
>0 results

I swear every week there is different news that proves without a shadow of a doubt that Mazda is the realest nigga in the game right now, is any other manufacturer even trying?

And people fucking ask why I'd rather drive a 15 year old shitbox

Damn it. My car is actually from GRORIOUS NIPPON, so it might be directly affected by this bullshit.