What are your thoughts on the fact that fully-automate electric-powered automobiles are the inevitable future?

What are your thoughts on the fact that fully-automate electric-powered automobiles are the inevitable future?

Other urls found in this thread:

visualcapitalist.com/size-oil-market/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I still want both to exist. If the government is banning all ICEs, then I will have no choice other than settling for electric.

Can't wait for all the people who can't drive to own these so that there are less idiotic drives on the road, and the remaining folks can drive their own car in peace. I only hope that this makes owning a regular car harder, and more stringent licencing to keep retards off the road, and into automated cars.

Except most idiotic drivers on the road insist that they're good drivers. Especially the texting soccer moms in minivans/full size SUVs. They'll continue to endanger other people regardless

>Except most idiotic drivers on the road insist that they're good drivers

Like Veeky Forums?

I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime, at least happen while I'm young enough to care about ICE cars. The sheer volume of ICE cars on the road will take decades to replace and that is once electric cars become the more attractive option of the two. To certain people, yes, electric cars are nice right now; but they're not what the majority of people are looking for. I suspect that shift won't happen until electric cars can be 'refueled' at a speed that is comparable to ICE cars. I also assert that my suspicion is further cemented by the fact we have certain manufacturers saying 'Fuck Electric" right now, e.g. Mazda. So there is that.

I won't deny it's inevitability, that's foolish; but as I stated, I don't think it's something I'll honestly be concerned with. Either way, I have a Focus ST right now for my hooning desires; so I'll probably run that into the ground and see where things stand then. Ultimately, I think we will languish in a very long period of time where both ICEs/Electric co-inhabit.

In 15 years, the sale of new ICE cars will be banned in most parts of the world.
You can't stop progress.

Shit changes fast now. If you're not 60, you'll see it happen. How many 80s and 90s cars are left on the road outside of poorfags' and enthusiasts' hands?

Its only inevitable because people choose to make it inevitable. The people choosing this are large corporations who won't ever stop overseas shipping or polluting and have exploited al gore and others to make pollution appear to be an individual problem, and politicians and bankers and information brokers who want everyone who isn't them to be crippled and powerless as possible, as well as living as long as possible to generate more money.

Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

I will buy an autonomous EV to replace my Spark when and only when autopilot is totally perfected and it costs under $18k. If I have to replace my daily before that point, I will buy some 4banger made between '91 and '95. Maybe a Geo.

I will never give up my actual ICE project cars.

Quit pretending that lobbyists don't bribe politicians, and that corporations don't buy advertisements. Also quit pretending that the biggest obstacle to getting what you want isnt ultimately other people, and that power isn't simply the ability to make other people allow you to get what you want and that this doesn't apply to groups of people as well.

Even if you ban the sale of new ICE cars in 15 years [citation needed], you still have to content with the fact there are millions of them on the road today. They just don't disappear. As I said, it is inevitable eventually, my statement isn't a matter of denying progress, it's a matter of denying the enthusiastic time frames that are put on the transition; I don't think it will happen nearly as fast as people let on.

Well, I'm not 60, but like I mentioned in my post; worst case is these changes happen when I'm too old to care about hooning around in an ICE car. Maybe when I'm 50 or so? (Currently 26). By that point, I suspect I'll only care about having a vehicle that is comfortable and can tow our boat. Regarding your actual point; while the enthusiast market is *relatively* smart. There are TONS of 80s-90s cars out there in poorfags hands. Outside of that, why did you omit 00s cars? Those are still ICEs, hardly different than 90s cars. The numbers of those only increases by magnitudes. See the point I made in my first quote of this post, it's a matter of volume in my mind.

>Even if you ban the sale of new ICE cars in 15 years [citation needed], you still have to content with the fact there are millions of them on the road today. They just don't disappear.
Cars get old, fuel stations will become rarer and rarer as they slowly get replaced by charging points, and fuel prices will shoot up,either by themselves or through government-imposed taxes.
All incentives for people to buy electric over ICE, and assuming people buy a new car every 5-10 years like a normal person, ICEs will be almost completely phased out by 2050.
Only a select few will remain, owned by hobbyists who long for the past when you could still repair and modify cars yourself.

They might go the way of vinyl records and experience a resurgence in popularity after 20-30 more years because they're ~so retro~.

I don't see these electric cars ever working out as is with current technology. Each one of these cars uses a lot of lithium. Last year 17.6 million cars were sold, world wide 88.1 million million cars, that's a lot of fucking lithium. Unless they can start making batteries that can last 20 years and recharge in 10 minutes, people aren't going to buy these unless the government forces them to.

And that's why tougher regulations will filter them out.

You are correct in the way it will go, but again, consider the volume. As well, consider the economy of ICE engines. Not only on the cars themselves; but the fact that phasing out ICE engines also (essentially) means phasing out the Oil industry as well and all of the things that go along with that (drills, refineries, gas stations, delivery, etc etc). That alone is a MASSIVE (see here - visualcapitalist.com/size-oil-market/) Of course, oil will still have its place in commercial/indsutrial applications, no doubt, but we're talking about a major downsizing of one of the biggest economies history has ever seen, no small feat and a feat that the oil companies will fight tooth-and-nail to resist against, which will certainly delay any progress.

But admittedly, 2050 does seem like a time were, I suspect, we'll certainly be in the final throws of ICE engines, if not already seen as the 'inferior alternative'. Again though, I won't be too concerned by then, I'll be pretty old.

>soccer moms
They're the ones who will accept automated cars first tho

>we're talking about a major downsizing of one of the biggest economies history has ever seen, no small feat and a feat that the oil companies will fight tooth-and-nail to resist against, which will certainly delay any progress.

They've been attempting to do exactly that for the last 20 years. Infrastructure was not ready back then, but it's slowly getting there now (yes, I know it's still shit and can't support millions of electric cars) and people are a lot more receptive to alternative fuel sources. We're out of the "Who Killed the Electric Car" at the very least.

it's fine, honestly, all you really lose is the noise and vibration, most everything else is maintained as long as you do things like actual belt fed pump power steering.

i will say though, that noise is a big loss, no lie.
>tfw that v8 roar

most likely the sale of new electric cars will be banned eventually, but the use of gas cars never will be. it'll just be a subset of classic car ownership