What's more important, horsepower or torque? In my case I want pure acceleration

What's more important, horsepower or torque? In my case I want pure acceleration.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/C4lDKxtJbWY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

just floor it

My car is stupid slow

Well, horsepower would be the answer to your question, but torque and rpms are the key components to create power. Both are useful, depends on whether you want top end rolls or pulling from a dead stop. Torque is the amount of raw push/pull that your engine has, meaning the amount of force it can apply to a given mass at any given time, so an engine with more raw torque will accelerate faster from a dead stop. However, most high displacement, high compression, high torque engines can’t hold that torque at higher rpms. This is where engines like a vtec Honda will start to pass you because while they have a relatively low peak torque, they are able to apply that torque at a much higher rate than, say, a v8 diesel.

tl;dr
>power is the answer
>torque and rpms together determine power
>most engines will have one or the other, take your pick

Then how do you find the cars that'll do this? Is there a website to compare cars performance wise because KBB sucks ass

Then it's time for a close ratio race transmission with a short final drive.

Gearing.

google or something

I tried that it's all the same, just a bunch of normie bullshit car sites that compare shit that I don't care about

[car] dyno sheet
This should give you the exact power and torque curves across the entire RPM range

I said website

nobody's going to help you with that attitude. Do your own googling you stupid faggot

>this is where vtec shitboxes will overtake you.
I don't think so, faggot.

I want to cum in that mouth

A stock ‘98 Civic shitbox, no, but a decently built s2k, prelude or even a very highly built/tuned civic has top end power that most other engines just don’t.

By the way, that’s not to say Hondas make great race cars, I prefer the good ol’ American v8 or German i6 myself, but you can’t deny the top end on some of those shitboxes is absolute madman tier.

youtu.be/C4lDKxtJbWY
Get a turbo that kicks on around 3k on the honda and youre fucked. Youll be crying about muh torque while the turbo helps the honda hit its powerband quicker, stay there, and get extra power while there

>spend money on it and it will be fast
Just lol

That’s true of any car dingus

you're retarded

As has been pointed out, power is what actually moves you (not peak power, but power at any given rpm), i.e. power = torque x rpm. If you can have both torque and revs, great! Supercars tend to have high displacement AND the ability to rev high.

If you can't (usually do to cost) then it depends on what you're doing. Normal street driving favors low-rpm power, which requires torque. An old V6 Camry had as much peak power as an S2000, but it made more power at 2500rpm. On a track you can set your gearing so you never fall below 5000 rpm, so you can have the same amount of power without needing much torque - just keep the revs high.

Say it to my face motherfucker

My point is that when im taking about an ls flogging you, I'm not taking about one that has a supercharger strapped to it

>I want pure acceleration
torque literally means the acceleration of a wheel

wrong

throttle response.
i want my engine to rev like an air tool

No, torque is force. When a force is applied, it creates a certain amount of acceleration in a given mass. The rate at which that torque is applied to continue creating acceleration is power.

It’s true that there are cheap and expensive ways to create power, but that wasn’t the point of what I was saying, either.

The simple fact is that implying that a vtec Honda is some kind of monster because you get it turboed is retarded.

No, torque is simply rotational force at a given moment, acceleration is the derivative of velocity with respect to time.

I never fucking said that. I said they make good top end, which they do.

hp wins races
torque sells trucks to rednecks

identical cars other than one has
131 hp and 93 lb ft / 0-60 8.19
93 hp and 131 lb ft / 0-60 8.98

hp is a product of torque, you can't compare the two, it doesn't make any sense. thanks

In modern high performance cars, quick accelerations are possible with torque vectoring, launch control, and variable gear ratios.

dang I guess every 160hp car has 111 lb ft

now you're just being retarded. Do you understand what a product is? get filtered fuck face

ayy another user that says retarded things then gets mad and filters when its brought up

gg

This data is irrelevant if we don’t know their mass, redline and gear ratios.
What
You’re the only one who can’t make a coherent argument.

>mfw I actually replied to a namefag shitter

>identical cars

l2read

your autism level definitely has increased

>I want pure acceleration

Custom electric build.

>ever replying to tripfags
They are literal retards who are loathed even by their parents.

This. My mom's Rav 4 accellerates just fine but it has no HP or torque, they just geared it so it accelerates quickly.

>these girls are in their 30's now

feels bad man

never gonna catch any snowflakes inside like that

>he doesn't know about the $3k civics with $3k in simple mods cuckolding Corvettes, GT-Rs, Lambos and Ferarris

Sure they're not comfy and limited by FF but you have to admire a 2 liter screaming to 10k RPM outputting 700+ hp and 500ish ft/lbs of torque in a car that probably weighs half as much as the cars I just listed

Short of getting a bike a turbo shitbox is probably the cheapest way to make power.

If your engine revs to only 4k it better produce an ass ton of torque. If your engine can rev to 14k then you can get away with a meager amount of torque.

then just change your final drive ratio and lose some weight. its why 4 speeds are popular for street cars that just want to zip from block to block or light to light.

Does it turn over high rpm at highway speeds tho?

>just change your final drive ratio
Not him but can this be done with fwd shitboxes with little aftermarket? I have an 04 aveo. I'm trying to do the opposite of OP, get higher gearing for slower acceleration and lower RPM on the highway.

r u a top speed runner guy and have limitless amount of straight? then hp

r u a togay guy? then tourque

>spoonfeed me mommy
lmao

N/m =/= m/s^2

>he still doesn't get it

Your post is still wrong, retard.

They're nothing special and cunts on this board like
Obsess over them. There's no Ids so I don't know if you're him but just assumed so because I like arguing.

You’re not wrong. The LS is also worshipped on this board, and is also cheap and powerful in a very different way. Niether is anything special at this point, but only because they’re so popular.

>Literally can't use Google

Stop strawmanning

AHHHH STOP

torque (tao) is N×m
Angular acceleration (alpha) is radians/s^2

You're not wrong that torque =/= angular acceleration, but it makes me cringe as a physics major