Budget track car

Hell/o/,
I have roughly £3000 to buy the chassis on which I'm going to build a track car on. I was looking at 328i E36s and STI GC8s, but I want to know if I'm neglecting any other options.

Other urls found in this thread:

trackipedia.wikia.com/wiki/Choosing_a_Track_Day_Car
autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=sponsored&radius=1500&postcode=bs233sd&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&price-to=1000&zero-to-60=TO_8&transmission=Manual&maximum-seats=4&page=5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If it won't be your daily, you can't do much better than an RX8. It's only 231hp and no torque, but the factory LSD and supple chassis are great for the track. Standard brakes are okay and the Prodrive handling pack is pretty great (they actually tend to go cheaper than the more basic cars because they were only available in the more expensive tax years)

Station chassis can be had in great shape for under $1,000

Starion/Conquest

>£ symbol in OP
>GC8 STI mentioned in OP

> Still replies as if the question is being asked for a US Veeky Forumstist

I was looking at RX8s, but the MPG is a real killer for me, being in the land of overpriced shitty petrol.
Haven't looked at those, but I'm not sure prices are the same over the pond

Unironically a ek4 vti

Low key don't want N/A FWD, but I can appreciate that the Civic is the smart route to take.

op I do a lot of road race, autocross, and misc public rally events when they pop up.

I run a 91 eclipse gsx. can find them pretty cheap. got mine for $900 needing a headgasket but otherwise it was in nice shape. fresh headgasket. upgraded intercooler, earls oil cooler, 650cc injectors, a walbro fuel pump, and a dsmchips mail order chip-tune on 91, and a act2600 and ive been on the same setup now for 7 years. The only thing I've done is rebuild the trans once.

The cars get a bad rap because of people who dont mod them correctly or dont do maintenance or get a decent tune or use knockoff parts.
Mine has the stock motor stock trans. stock intake and exhaust manifolds. Do have a full scca cage, coilovers and a bunch of other misc suspension

It made 291whp at 18psi the one time it was on a dyno at a dyno day for shits and giggles. its not a lot of power no but its the small stock turbo that spools instantly and it gets beat on for long periods at a time on the road course especially.

Ive been super impressed with the car. I almost excluseively use it for racing and have put 9k on it in 7 years. That seems low but probably half of that is track miles. THats a lot of miles that it has been basically full throttle and being tossed around.

I'm around $6000 into the car which i dont think is bad at all compared to the other cars in the classes i race and for as long as the driveline has held together

Hmm, I've heard good things about Eclipses. My only memory of them is Need for Speed Underground 2 (I think). How does it handle? Is the understeer intolerable?

I don't live in bongland, but what about an old miata?

understeer is one of its greatest weaknesses.

Good rear swaybar and a set of coilovers that are properly set up are the true key.
Then it just becomes more of a seat time thing.
Understeer isn't a problem for me, 50% because I corrected the biggest factory issue through through my suspension tuning, and 50% through seat time.

There are definitely some weaknesses in the chassis. These 1g DSM's are much easier to set up for straight line racing. The 2g's have much better aftermarket when it comes to road race/autocross/etc.

I've considered those, but I kind of want something a bit more capable/challenging. Maybe a turbo Mk1...
Noted. Appreciate the advice

UK?

Yeah. Prices here are a joke, and there's no E85

M8 I live here. I just got my first car and I'm still not hospital recovering from insurance cost shock.

I pay about 1.10 at local sainsburys. It hurts because I drive 30 mile to uni everyday. 60 total.

I couldn't give a fuck about E85. I'll be driving this 1.2 4 pot corsa till its dead. Then I'll build la voiture de me reves.

Why is meme tax so real? S2k is so expensive. But by the time I can afford one a gt86 will be dirt cheap second hand.

Dude, I know. This country hates car enthusiasts. At least we're not as cucked as the Nordic countries though.

GC8's are widely available in the UK, I was looking to import one from there.

This, this and this. Torque doesn't matter that much in a track car, they are dirt cheap and all the other point this guy said.

They sold them in the UK in right hand drive too you stupid fuck

MR2 ZZW30. They are worthless in the UK, go for one.
trackipedia.wikia.com/wiki/Choosing_a_Track_Day_Car

What the fuck is wrong with you? Import one from Japan... it's cheaper. Also UK + Winter driven = rust... because everyone in the UK only owns one car because they all live in matchbox houses.

Is300

>Reading comprehension

I was calling out the amerilard for thinking OP was in America, using the GC8 to highlight the fact that it wasn't the USA.

Don't space them out then.
Japan is on the other side of the world, UK is one channel away.

Called Altezza here I think.

I had scoliosis surgery...yeah nah

RX8
MR2 spyder
subaru legacy.
Honestly MRS is a great car, drop some coils, good rubber and remove a lot of weight and you will have a great corolla.

>trackipedia.wikia.com/wiki/Choosing_a_Track_Day_Car
>ford puma
holy shit some old fucking fart runs it in my series at bottom class and he regularly beats the best times set by the outlaw class by a fucking second

The Altezza is the Toyota version with a 3SGE

We also have the Lexus IS200 (1gfe) and IS300 (2JZGE)

The Altezza is the better option desu, but the IS200 sport comes with an LSD and can be had for under a grand. It also takes a modest turbo up to about 300bhp easily and cheaply

My friend got one of those for £150 and all it needed was a MAF and a clutch. But now he has to get rid of it because his insurance is £15k per year as he has only been driving for like 2 years and has had several accidents including a totaled Vauxhall Astra

E36 is a pretty safe bet, I'd go with that OP

Still cheaper

Maybe, but I can fly to the UK and actually inspect a car, I dunno what kind of lemon I could be getting.

autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=sponsored&radius=1500&postcode=bs233sd&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&price-to=1000&zero-to-60=TO_8&transmission=Manual&maximum-seats=4&page=5

change your postcode and you're away.
there's a few choice car's in there
i'd probably lean to the MR-S

>I was looking at RX8s, but the MPG is a real killer

>Track car
>Turning down cars because bad mpg

You bongs are really broken people. Don't tell me you are going to fucking drive around the track at 60mph because you can save 1 queen's pence a lap vs driving it at 70mph.

I don't know if you got it but in bongland but there is the Altezza RS

Oi, I don't want to be refilling on substandard fuel every 3 laps. Fuel is literally twice as expensive here

You'll have to do that regardless of any car. Even if you buy a fucking micra it'll drink fuel if it's on 100% throttle

So you're saying a car's MPG doesn't matter because you'll have to fill it up no matter what? Some argument there

Yes. Fuck you.

If you're tracking don't nanny about fuel it's pointless and get a different hobby.

I understand why if you're towing the car to events it's unimportant (I wouldn't care about MPG if that were the case) but it IS important because I'll have to drive it to and from events. Towing is out of the question.

Buy a Saxo VTR and budget turbo it

tell him to just swap the running gear into a mk4 fez

so you sort of understand track cars arn't into mpgs?

sounds like what you need is some sort of corsa with a c20let, or a micra with an sr.
you'll need the lightest shitbox with biggest engine in it. 50mpg and enough torque to twist the chassie. all for like £2k too.

Even at 25mpg it will only cost you £60 to drive 350 miles.

That's less than the fucking train. You are going to roast £500 worth of tyres in a couple of hours don't forget the cost of safety equipment and registration and maintenance (yes you should change your oil more frequently when you track it)

At the end of all of that if you are really going to nitpick about the cost of driving the car to the track? If you save £1000 buying an "undesirable" car then you can get yourself to and from the track 16 times

Citroën AX VTS, then nick a turbo and manifold from a mini/207etc... As they bolt straight on

Laugh your way around everyone in your 600kg beast of a car

This.

The cost of a 50mpg diesel vs a 30mpg petrol over a year, will be like a couple hundred quid difference over 10,000 miles.

I fell for the diesel economy meme when I passed my driving test. I still drive diesels cos lol torque but I don't give a fuck about economy anymore.

England is a broken place. In my country diesel is cheaper than gas by 15%, so the fuel savings are compounded, but people still buy gas because they realize that l thousands of dollars in savings means thousands of dollars to fuel

The Altezza RS is the 3Sge BEAMS model