1998 2.5RS GC8

Okay Veeky Forums this has come up in my local craigslist. It's listed at $4,500 and has 167,000 miles on it. Owner said he's done the head gasket, timing belt, and water pump.

Looks pretty clean from the pics, but is this too pricey? Are 1998's shit? What should i do???

Other urls found in this thread:

newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/subaru-impreza/6342236065.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I saw one for 3k here. You can do better

piece of shit. just get a civic for 3k.

>the head gasket
>the
Not a good first car user

My first car was a 99 2.5RS. Don't bother, they're sloooooow, my friends 95 Probe GT would btfo me every time. Also expect lots of understeer and 3rd gear to pop into neutral out of nowhere.

do it faggot, its clean as fuck

newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/subaru-impreza/6342236065.html

unrelated but I fucked a girl from Newtown, CT. hot little redhead.

At 167k it's due for another timing belt, water pump, probably tensioner, might as well do the oil pump while you're in there. Not that big a deal if you can DIY it.

As for what else, check underneath for rust. Might want to jack it up have a look so you can find out if the rocker panels crumple when you try the jack points. If the struts haven't been replaced yet they're probably shot, half the bushings are probably just about done from age alone -- loosey goosey. Exhaust is piss easy to change when it rusts out, tho.

If the clutch hasn't been done yet, you'll probably need a new one soon, but that way you can stick on a lightweight flywheel, which is highly recommended to liven it up nicely in the first 2-3 gears. It's not hard to fix up the handling so it gets around quite nicely, but you're still looking at an econobox that's about 20 years old, so keep a whole bunch in your budget so you can make other stupid repairs, ball joint, tie rod, some stupid bolt in your suspension is all seized up and the whole assembly has to be replaced, CV joints go out, you name it. Neat car back in the day though.

the ad for the car OP is talking about is posted above you lad.

Yeah lad I know. "All high millage maintenance done" only means squat if he's going to list everything that's been done. And "NO ROT" just means you might as well go have a look yourself to make sure.

t. owned a scoob from about this year

Elaborate?

It's just the head gasket meme. If the guy put in the newer design head gaskets when they were replaced then you should have nothing to worry about.

there are two heads

I'm just wondering if it's even worth that price at such high mileage? I've been looking at miatas too and they're obviously much cheaper and possibly easier to work on.

Speed doesn't mean much to me, I just want a fun driving experience. I'd rather push a slow car to its limits than baby a fast car and never unlock its true potential.

I was in love last night but now I'm slowly coming to my senses

It's honestly pretty normal for a Subaru. They're fairly desirable and despite the memes they will run basically forever with decent maintenance. Subaru ownership is also pretty cult like - most people who drive one have a huge hard on for them and don't want any other brand of cars ever. They do gay little waves at each other and everything. End result is that lots of people want them, most owners choose to keep them forever rather than selling, and so the used prices get super inflated. It's pretty hard to find any of the Impreza family of cars on the cheap unless they're totally thrashed. 4500 for a clean gc8 with under 200k and some semblance of maintenance history is a great deal honestly. I'd drive up there and buy it myself if I had the cash and hadn't just bought a new DD a few months ago.

Take care of the engine and it could last another 100k unless you get unlucky. You'll be more worried about rust and just the kind of random stuff that wears out after this long. But it is a relatively easy car to work on. If you're mechanically inclined, you can download the full factory service manual on line and pretty much just dig in to most any job in your driveway with good results.

Miata is going to be a different driving feel. Both are fun in different ways, but I guess it says something that a lot of 2.5RS-era guys went on to get Miatas. I'd say take a ride in both if that's what it comes down to.

How do I get the black Craigslist theme?

boxer engine
two heads

>WAT CAR GUD
>WAT CAR GUD
>WAT CAR GUD
>WAT CAR GUD
>WAT CAR GUD

All day with this shit. Why is Veeky Forums forced to substitute for your lack of a father figure or general common knowledge?

Fuck off.

Craigslist Night Mode Pro on google chrome extensions

Thanks sir

A blown gasket means leaks with the engine block. The gasket separates the block and creates a seal. I believe the guy is saying that your are inexperienced by your lack of knowledge of this. 165k miles and engine problems means more money in the near future.

The only real problem is the rust.
Mine has 330k km (206k milles).
High milage is not a problem for a properly maintained car.
A Subaru is not a hard car to work on, generally speaking.
They are fun cars to drive.

>pic related
Mileage

>(you)

Depends which EJ25 he has. They were shipped with what turned out to be basically defective head gaskets for a some years, with the consequence that typically they'd need to be replaced with an updated version sooner or later.

If that's the case here and nobody overheated it in the process, it's basically routine maintenance. Kind of like that run of Imprezas with rear wheel bearings that were keen to wear out early and were supposed to be replaced with an alternate model from the Legacy of the same era.

texted the seller. car was sold

aw :/

Them's the breaks. It pays to know what you're getting in to. I didn't know until after I'd sealed the deal but the last car I got had been put on the lot literally the day before I showed up to buy it. More than one of the guys told me they hadn't even had a chance to take it out for a spin yet, kek.

:(